Notifications
Clear all

Funding?

terryrayc
(@terryrayc)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

SO I know games like this are COSTLY.  I've been involved in software development and game design...in fact I'm in the middle of the process myself.

So are you looking into ways to help fund the project?  Either something like a kickstarter or pre-orders?

I for one like to support the little guy(Not a barb at you).

True
 True
(@true)
Master Chief Registered

The game is already on my Steam Greenlight Favourites page. I am just waiting for an option to buy it.

ReplyQuote
MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered

Cheers for the support guys, it is costing me a small fortune I'm not going to lie! But I don't want to take money off anyone until I can prove that what I want is possible.

I'm asking a lot from the PC really, 5 years ago I don't think I could do this because we have all the turret tracking, projectile and asteroid physics, movement AI, tonnes of lists and stuff going on and then I have to layer in collision avoidance and then still add in the rest of the game. It's a tall remit so if I fail I've only lost my own money rather than feeling guilty having taken everyone else's.

The thing runs like a well oiled machine now and I keep discovering ways to improve the performance still. I've also overcome most of the challenges I thought I would face so I have little doubt I can deliver this idea now so expect to see a Kickstart/Early Access thing happening soon and tell everyone that will listen because the more money we get in, the more epic I'll make this thing.

ReplyQuote
LeoCeballos
(@leoceballos)
Petty Officer Registered

Hey MawhrinSkel, thats a great attitude and exactly how I feel about my own (smaller, mobile) project. I didn't want to take a buck from anyone until I could prove to myself (and them) that I could get it done. Then I went into early access but I'm charging less than full price... because less than the full game is there. I just don't feel right taking people's money until I feel like what is on offer is really worth what I'm asking. 

That being said, after the first game is done I'm strongly considering doing some crowdfunding to make something much bigger/more ambitious (after some HEAVY prototyping/pre-development). Like maybe by that point I'll have something to point at and say "hey look, this is what I did, and finished, without a dime...now lets see what I can do with some resources". 

Its a tricky thing. Because you're always thinking of the awesome stuff you could make with a bit more money, but then, the last thing I'd want to be is one of those Early Access/Crowdfunding horror stories where the whole thing collapsed in on itself. Or in any way leave people feeling like they were cheated. Its hard, because sometimes I want to pull a Molyneux and rant about all the awesome I intend to do... 

ReplyQuote
AnastasiusFocht
(@anastasiusfocht)
Petty Officer Registered

I didn't sign up for the newslettter basically because I don't check my mails regularly and when I do i tend to throw stuff away without looking too closely what it is.

So when you are ready to accept some dough be sure to announce it on all channels at your disposal.

That being said.

640px-Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

ReplyQuote
MawhrinSkel
(@mawhrinskel)
Master Chief Registered

I didn't sign up for the newslettter basically because I don't check my mails regularly and when I do i tend to throw stuff away without looking too closely what it is.

So when you are ready to accept some dough be sure to announce it on all channels at your disposal.

That being said.

640px-Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

No problems will do and thanks! 🙂

ReplyQuote