Notifications
Clear all

Solotra.B - New indie space game

SCAREKRO
(@scarekro)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi guys. Just wanted to post here in the hopes of gaining some feedback about a game that I have been working on (by myself) for over a year. My game is called Solotra.B and it is inspired by Elite (and a few other games) as Elite (on the Amiga 500) was my favorite childhood game. It is a top down 2D, open world space game, where you can visit a number of star system and trade with/combat the unique alien races you find there. You can also land on planets and construct mining bases in order to accumulate more resources (used for trading/upgrading ships, weapons etc.)

If you are interested in my game and would like to follow along with the development or have any feedback/suggestions that you would like to make, then I would be more than happy to hear from you!

My email address is scarekrogames@gmail.com

My website is www.scarekrogames.com

and I am on twitter @scarekrogames

Here are some screenshots! These are all Work in Progress as the game is still under development! Thanks all!

2305398_orig.png

8383923_orig.png

1031756_orig.png

9816195_orig.png

2788800_orig.png

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Welcome to the forums Scarekro.

Looks like you planning some planet interaction by the look of the second screen shot?.

Just thinking about that you could add a Thrust style or Moon lander game where you have to land on the docking pad.

ReplyQuote
SCAREKRO
(@scarekro)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Pinback, thanks for the reply man! Pleasure to be here.

You are right, in Solotra.B the player will be able to visit 16 (eventually more) different solar systems, each with unique alien races and planets and land on the surfaces of every planet. This is in order to build mining bases and harvest resources.

I am currently working on the landing mechanism, which will be very similar to the moon lander approach. The player will have two drop pods (fitted with surface construction drones) to be able to land successfully. If they are destroyed in landing the player will have to build more (which will consume time/resources) and lose some materials. Landing will eventually become easier, due to upgrades and the ability to purchase an autolander computer, but these will not always be available due to certain planetary atmospheres, hazards and other dangers, which will occasionally make landing more difficult.

The main inspiration behind my game was trying to tie together elements from some of my favorite childhood games & classic space/retro games - Elite, K240, Space Invaders, Asteroids & Moon Lander - to name a few.

Thanks for much for your idea and comment , if you or anyone else has any other comments/questions/criticisms then I would love to hear from you!

ReplyQuote
trumpet
(@trumpet)
Senior Chief Registered

this looks awesome! I have had the same aspirations for this kind of game for many years myself but lacking credible programming skills I've had to abandon any attempts.

I'll send you a couple of .swfs we did back in the day

nice one. 

ReplyQuote
SCAREKRO
(@scarekro)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks trumpet! It's great to hear someone actually make a comment! It has been pretty tough doing all this by myself but I am getting there slowly. Yeah I would love to check out some of your stuff. Thanks dude.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Solotra.B is looking great, are all the art assets in the game being created by you? Because I think your doing a great job on the art and it really has a nice classic feel but its not pixelated like the trend seems to be these days. Can't wait to see this in action in a video when you think its ready.

Welcome to SSC btw Scarekro and if you need forum space for Solotra.B you just need to say the word and its done. Projects like this is why SSC is here to help get these seen. Keep it up.

ReplyQuote
SCAREKRO
(@scarekro)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi DarkOne. Thanks for that mate! Yeah I am doing everything myself - art,programming,sfx,music,story - you name it... with the help of a few different pieces of software, of course. I have a couple of videos - just short bits of gameplay but they are from a few months ago and most of the space sections have been updated a bit. You can check it out on Youtube if you want:
www.youtube.com/channel/UCrieMb-x2ePbBe8S8TTU_CQ

I would love some forum space and could run a dev log on there - with all my updates as I go along, if you wanted. I'll give a shout out to SpaceSimCentral.com on Twitter and my website and even put you guys in my special thanks in the credits of my game  - seeing as you guys have really been the first people to say some encouraging things about my game. If that's okay of course.

Thanks! I'll get back to work 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Enjoy the forum area Scarekro and like I said in my PM, any significant updates or announcements for Solotra.b I would recommend creating a new post in your forum area because this way the scripts will pick up the new thread and auto post it to the main page. This way you get some free exposure and more people should see your game for those that don't use the 'view new content' button at the top of the page 🙂 You just linking to your forum area on your page should be enough.... but I never stop anyone from putting us in the credits 🙂 Thanks Scarekro

oh, I also updated your profile with a developer title.

ReplyQuote