Notifications
Clear all

Galaxy4D : New Multiplayer Space Sim

Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
Greetings people of earth, 

We are officially announcing our new game and would like to have your opinion ! 

It's a multiplayer space simulator featuring accurate space physics including General relativity and orbit simulation with real-life gravity maths. 

The concept is an open-world full-scale Galaxy where you can walk on planets, survive in a hostile environment, find resources, build a spaceship and fly to another planet seamlessly, no loading screen ! 

The fun part is the actual challenge of managing the spaceship's systems (futuristic technologies) in a very realistic way , alone or in a co-operative way with your friends. 

The official website : http://Galaxy4D.com

You can follow us on Twitter @Galaxy4D

Here's a demo featuring the graphical aspect of the game : 

Let me know what you think 🙂

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Very nice 😎 shame their no offline single player mode.

Moved the thread to this forum.

ReplyQuote
Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

shame their no offline single player mode.

Where did you read that ? 

Sorry if it was not clear, but there is actually a single player, offline mode ! 😉

As written in the description above, you can play "alone OR in a co-operative way".

I should have said it more clearly... Thanks for your feedback on that matter. 

For the ones who would like to know, here`s how it works so far : 

Game servers can be direct connection to other players as well as dedicated linux servers. 

There is only one application which is the game.

When you start it, you have 3 game modes :

Host a game

Connect to server 

Play solo. 

When starting a Solo game, you can play offline as a single player.

This also starts the integrated server in the background and other users can connect to you if you enable a "Accept remote connections" checkbox. 

You can also host a standalone server by simply launching the game via command line. 

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
I figured we should post a more detailed version of the game's description, here we go. 

The game is compatible with Windows, Linux and Mac. 

The game concept is similar to Kerbal space program as you can build a spacecraft, seamlessly travel from planet to planet then walk on the ground, with some key differences :  

* There will be vegetation and aliens on the surface depending on the types of planets

* You can go underwater with your spacecraft if the hull can withstand positive pressure

* There will be many solar systems through the galaxy

* You will have total control over the spacecraft's systems, control panels and switches a lot like a flight simulator

* You can walk inside the spaceships and dock smaller spacecrafts inside bigger starships

* The technologies will be more futuristic like a Warp Drive, gravity generator, etc.

Also, it will be like KSP for planets orbiting each-other, except nothing is "on rails", everything is calculated in real-time using Gravity. 

Everything is moving freely and independently and is affected by the gravity of everything else's mass. 

There are no absolute positions or velocities, everything is relative to something else and always moving. 

No "map-view", it will be an instrument in the spacecraft with suggested orbit velocity/altitude. 

The game is natively multiplayer in a similar way to Minecraft. 

You can play Solo, and people can connect to you to enter your world. 

You can also start a standalone server (Linux/Windows) via command line. 

The main challenge is to pick up resources on a planet, (try to) build a spacecraft, takeoff and visit other places in the galaxy, mine on asteroids and other planets, harvest energy from stars, improve and manage your spaceship's systems and most importantly: Survive ! 

All of this you can do alone or in a co-operative way with your friends. 

You can fight other players and have weapons but this game is not intended to be a combat sim. 

Some planets are hostile, very cold or very hot, radiation, bad weather, different gravity, etc. 

There are nebulae, twin stars and other space goodies. 

We are aiming for a kind of gameplay experience that will give you the feeling it's real. No map view, no on-screen information other than what can be shown in your helmet's HUD, no further menus after you connect to a server or you click Solo. 

We want the perfect immersion like if it was a second life ! 

What has been done so far and is 100% working right now : 

* All the most important technical challenges like floating point issues are solved

* Multiplayer and networking with integrated server

* Space physics including general relativity and Gravity (orbits)

* Full scale Galaxy graphics with a black hole at the center

* Planets with procedural terrain

* Seamless transitions between planet surface and space

* Electrical systems physics (heat dissipation, voltage, etc.)

* Atmosphere composition, pressure and transfer physics (on planets or inside sealed spacecrafts)

* Basic 3D models of spacecrafts that you can fly around

As for the final release, we can't tell an exact date yet.

I am just going to say that we might release an Alpha version before the end of 2015. 

We've been working on the concept for 5 years and started to code 2 years ago, but announced it to the public two days ago. 

We need followers and future supporters before making a Kickstarter page. 

You can follow our IndieDB page http://www.indiedb.com/games/galaxy4d

You can also subscribe to our Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/Galaxy4D-SpaceSim

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. 

Also feel free to give suggestions. 

Olivier,

Founder of Galaxy4D. 

ReplyQuote
KingHaggis
(@kinghaggis)
Master Chief Registered

Looks very good, I will keep a close eye on this. What you guys describe is what I've always wanted. It's just sad to see so many good looking projects never making it into something playable. I hope Galaxy4D will finally succeed in bringing the world a seamless, procedural galaxy filled with gameplay on planets and in space. Keep it up!

ReplyQuote
Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Looks very good, I will keep a close eye on this. What you guys describe is what I've always wanted. It's just sad to see so many good looking projects never making it into something playable. I hope Galaxy4D will finally succeed in bringing the world a seamless, procedural galaxy filled with gameplay on planets and in space. Keep it up!

Thank you for your comment, 

We are a team of space geeks, passionate about the project, we also hope it will succeed ! 

As said above, the game is developed inside out so all the big challenges are already solved, instead of announcing a game and not being able to fulfill our claims, within the last two years we actually coded and tested the core functionalities first to make sure it's possible. 

Now the only thing we need is the resources to be able to work full time on the project for a few months to add more contents and game logic. 

We need a community of followers, and when we're confident we have enough interest from people we might make a crowdfunding campaign. 

Otherwise it will just take longer to release but it WILL NOT be cancelled I'm making sure of it 😉

Please subscribe, follow us on Twitter, Youtube, or on this forum. 

It's only been 3 days since the public announcement so there is not much activity right now but I'm confident it's gonna start growing as we post new updates !

I Sincerly hope you will enjoy the game, 

stay put for updates, there's a lot to come within the next few days. 

ReplyQuote
Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Here are some teasing screenshots for you guys ! 

Worked all day improving terrain shaders and testing vegetation. 

Capture2.PNG?maxw=800&type=jpg

Capture3.PNG?maxw=800&type=jpg

Capture4.PNG?maxw=800&type=jpg

Capture5.PNG?maxw=800&type=jpg

Capture6.PNG?maxw=800&type=jpg

Capture8.PNG?maxw=800&type=jpg

Capture7.PNG?maxw=800&type=jpg

What do you think ?!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Where did you read that ? 

Sorry if it was not clear, but there is actually a single player, offline mode ! 😉

Your thread title and their was nothing to indicate otherwise and it's good to see that their is a single player/off line mode

You mention vegetation on the planets any alien animal life also will their be any city's/towns, camps ect.

Any plans to let the player walk on the planets surface or drive a ground vehicle around.

ReplyQuote
Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Your thread title and their was nothing to indicate otherwise and it's good to see that their is a single player/off line mode

You mention vegetation on the planets any alien animal life also will their be any city's/towns, camps ect.

Any plans to let the player walk on the planets surface or drive a ground vehicle around.

You will be able to build ground shelters. Hence very complex ground shelters can actually become a city. 

We're not sure yet if we are going to do it using cubes or wooden/metal walls.. We'd like your input on this matter. 

Yes, the player can walk on the surface and we plan to integrate ground vehicles. 

ReplyQuote
Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
We've posted 6 new videos on our Youtube channel ! 

Don't forget to subscribe 🙂

Here are 3 of them. 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Looking good 😎 😎

Might be an idea to post a video of different terrains to give a feel of the different environments that can found in the game.

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)
Warrant Officer Registered

Looks excellent so far - the planetary simulation is amazing.

Do you have any screenshots or videos of the actual spaceflight or starship cockpits/controls yet?

In any case, I'll certainly keep an eye on this one, good luck with the project!

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Looking good 😎 😎

Might be an idea to post a video of different terrains to give a feel of the different environments that can found in the game.

For now we only have two terrain types. But our engine is able to make a lot more with simple tweaks.

Different terrains are not our priority right now since it's very easy to do now that the engine is ready. 

We are currently working hard on the spaceships. 

Looks excellent so far - the planetary simulation is amazing.

Do you have any screenshots or videos of the actual spaceflight or starship cockpits/controls yet?

In any case, I'll certainly keep an eye on this one, good luck with the project!

auryx

We're working on it 😉

It will be in the next video/photos for sure =D

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

Very nice!! Impressive..  Is that a self written engine or what do you use?

I fiddle around with shaders and procedural stuff myself so this is really interesting.

ReplyQuote
Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Very nice!! Impressive..  Is that a self written engine or what do you use?

I fiddle around with shaders and procedural stuff myself so this is really interesting.

We use Unity3D for 3D rendering with ShaderLab and for compatibility with Windows/Mac/Linux. 

But for space physics and networking it's made from scratch in C# and plugged into Unity. 

At first it was all coded from scratch in C++ and Java, then we decided to migrate to Unity for better and easier multi-platform support. 

Also, we really liked the shaders in the asset store 🙂

ReplyQuote
Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Just uploaded two new videos !

Improvements on Graphics

Fastforward building a voxel spaceship

What do you think ? 🙂 

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)

Looks great, awesome job! Amazing lod you have going there (if any).

That galaxy is all pixel shader?

Rocks/dust around the gas giant are side lit when sun is dead on them, might be a second sun there, but I couldn't really see it.

ReplyQuote
Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Looks great, awesome job! Amazing lod you have going there (if any).

That galaxy is all pixel shader?

Rocks/dust around the gas giant are side lit when sun is dead on them, might be a second sun there, but I couldn't really see it.

The galaxy is made of dust and stars particles using sprites, which is basically managed like pixel shaders in low-level graphics. 

There is no second sun but the gas giant reflects a lot of sun light. 

We actually calculate the reflection of the sun on the gas giant and apply it on the asteroids. 

ReplyQuote
Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Here's a preview of our work on the grass renderer for Pre-Alpha 6. 

Individual grass blades move with the wind and are displaced by objects. 

g4d_grass_day.png?maxw=800&type=jpg
g4d_grass_night.png?maxw=800&type=jpg
g4d_grass_displaced.png?maxw=800&type=jp
g4d_wheatfield_displaced.png?maxw=800&ty
g4d_aliengrass.png?maxw=800&type=jpg

For the moment it's very hard on framerate but lots of optimisations are coming.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice simulation. 😎

ReplyQuote
Galaxy4D
(@galaxy4d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
While working on asteroids, we came up with a little surprise for you 🙂

Introducing destructible full-size planets !

While making the voxel system for our asteroids we optimized it so it doesn't have any size limit.

That being said, why not use the same system for planets ?!

This was not planned in the beginning, but now that it's possible, why not ?

It will then be possible to dig underground caves to mine resources. 

Hence the gameplay for mining will change and most resources will now be found underground.

Since everyone loves explosions, you'll be able to use explosives to make bigger holes 😀

This will also allow planets to receive asteroid impacts and see persistent craters.

Our system is different from most voxel engines in that instead of having a defined voxel grid that is present from the beginning with all voxels, we have a rather dynamic system that only shows modifications on the terrain.

The terrain keeps the same procedural engine to create the base mesh with LOD, but we add holes from the voxel database before rendering the final mesh.

Maybe we shouldn't call it "voxel", but that's how everyone understands the resulting feature... 

Our "voxel" database is an array of voxels, each consisting of a position and a radius.

Basically, size doesn't matter anymore ! 

If you create a very big explosion, only one "voxel" is created and is added to the mesh as a crater of the specified radius. 

This makes the system very light although the planet is huge with lots of craters and caves.

You should be able to dig say a tunnel through a mountain, or dig all the way through the planet ! 

Some planets will have a magma mantle though...

Now to give you a glimpse the underground, I give you three screenshots !

Capture6.JPG?maxw=856

Capture5.JPG?maxw=856

Capture3.JPG?maxw=856

To get more detail or to ask questions, join our community forums : 

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/c/Galaxy4D-SpaceSim

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

While working on asteroids, we came up with a little surprise for you 🙂

Introducing destructible full-size planets !

I have long said that more games should have "Thermostellar Bomb"

ReplyQuote