Notifications
Clear all

Starfighter inc/In The Black

Page 1 / 3

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Kickstarter for a multi-player only game using hard sci fi as it's base, looking for $250K, more details on Kickstarter  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/impellerstudios/starfighter-inc

In short, Starfighter Inc. is:

<b>All About Combat. </b>Hardcore PvP multiplayer space warfare focused on pure, unadulterated tactical simulation combat.

<div>
b9da79ed97747137df1d53c69b954461_origina</div>
<b>Realism Done Right. </b>A hard-science driven, zero-g experience where players can spin, tumble and strafe their way through a gritty frontier universe.

<div>
0779e0b3f31bd5ec1d8213c6941a4129_origina</div>
<b>Unparalleled Customization.</b> You control and customize every element of your ship, from the chassis to the powertrain to the cockpit layout.

<div>
bffc5e9741249a8247efd2baec793100_origina</div>
 We want to give our community unprecedented access into the creation of this game, so we'll be adding loads more information to this page as our Kickstarter campaign goes on. Read on for more and keep an eye out for updates!

<div>
49320de448f771397dfb310050be050a_origina</div>
 It’s 2230. A generation has lived and died among the stars.

<div>
002a53fdcef370746d96eebbb7ea428c_origina</div>
<div>Mankind’s final frontier has been destabilized by corporate interests and powerful private military companies. The powers that be look to elite mercenary pilots to secure their holdings; violently if need be.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Pilot a single-seat recon ship, fly with a squadron of interceptors, or team up with others to crew a multi-seat gunship as you take part in truly massive space battles. Immerse yourself in a gorgeous, cinematic, VR-enabled space simulator set in a near-future hard science setting. </div>
<div> </div>
<div>Intense, high-action combat meets classic X-Wing style space simulation gameplay on a scale you've never seen.</div>

According to the video this is the next greatest space shooter, the next X Wing ect, ect,ect ( we heard this before ) anyhow it does seem to have some talent behind it Check the website https://impellerstudios.com/

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I don't know, that seems like a steep goal to achieve for a multi-player only game and they really didn't show much in the way of early engine. They make a lot of references to X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and all the other games in that series. There is one thing those games had going for them was the Star Wars IP behind it. This will not be a star wars IP game so this is a new IP and it will be tough to sell the Star Wars fans on this because they want a true sequel to X-Wing 🙂

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

Yeah, I really don't think this pitch cuts it in this day and age.  You have to show a lot more than concept art, you have to show some sort of rudimentary game play, or if your game has complex systems in the background, at least show some of that.  This was one of those concept art slide shows.

Also, multi-player is just a gigantic pain in the ass.  It's just too big a time sink, too big a commitment, and usually no fun unless your friends play.  I'm not sure I'll ever put enough time into a game on a regular basis for multiplayer to be worth it ever again.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Aye it's not a great pitch but they are over the 50 grand mark and they may show more as the campaign proceeds also it looks like they are going the same as the recent Decent one, big gain at the start, nothing in the middle and a mad scramble to hit the target at the end.

pity there is no single player game.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

pity there is no single player game.

I know, if playing one of these sorts of games you can build a great story behind the conflict of this sort. Or at least make faction based campaigns that the population works to complete.... that would be a fun concept if done right. Almost something like what Guild Wars 2 does with its faction system.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Fortunately they not the only game in town and Rogue System will have similar game play to this along with being single player.

Bet the Infinity boys will be watching this Kickstarter.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I see they have posted a stretch goal for a single player game only 17 million.........................good luck with that one

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

I see they have posted a stretch goal for a single player game only 17 million.........................good luck with that one

That's for the fully-scripted and cinematic sequence full-on AAA single player campaign/story.

The have more modest stretch goals for single player missions, linked missions (campaigns without cutscenes and the like) and bot matches.

I for one am really looking forward to seeing much more on this, and I have already backed at Day Zero level.

A full-blooded space combat game is something I would really enjoy. I know EVE: Valkyrie is on the cards, but that is an OR exclusive, and I don't have or plan to get an occulus rift.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

There Kickstarter seems to be doing well, looks like they are over the half way mark now, pretty good with no updates.

(edit my mistake looking at the Kickstarter I see they have done 4 updates.)

As for myself I will not be backing it as I have become wary of these "named developers" Kickstarters.

Ps Stormprooter if you are wondering why I edited your post, I only added the "that" to my quote as I had missed it out on my post above.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

A few seconds of ingame footage although it could be pre rendered using the games assets.

They are about $70 grand short of the target but still have 3 days to go, so it looks like they will just squeak past the goal.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

$70k is a lot of ground and its been struggling just getting to $200k, if they make it I will be surprised because I don't see a steady push to the finish.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I tend to think they will just about do it as the Kickstarter looks like it following the same curve of the new Decent game did, ie it will just make it past it goal with a few hours to spare.

Another few seconds of gameplay vid.

This video represents early gameplay prototyping for Starfighter Inc., focusing on experimenting with physics and flight dynamics for the Shrike and includes numerous placeholder assets to help us test some of the core game mechanics in an online environment. We had a ton of fun putting it together and we hope you'll be as pumped as we are!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I'm some what genuinely surprised that this did not hit it target, just falling short of the $250K target by $24 grand but on the other hand it maybe shows that not every one who backs games on kickstarter are taken in by some flash graphics, shallow gameplay and a name developer who worked on some game 20 odd years ago.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks like they intend to continue on Steams early access. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=456200230

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I'm some what genuinely surprised that this did not hit it target, just falling short of the $250K target by $24 grand but on the other hand it maybe shows that not every one who backs games on kickstarter are taken in by some flash graphics, shallow gameplay and a name developer who worked on some game 20 odd years ago.

To be honest I think it was the fact that it was MP only. Look at Fractured Space for instance its a new game that is MP only, yeah its bigger ships but really same type of game and it is selling on Steam for $5 and its not even finished yet its in early access. MP only games don't have a long shelf life and when the surge of players dwindles down then your stuck with a game no one plays. I don't usually ever buy MP only games just because of that alone. Yeah I probably miss out on some good fun sometimes, but with my limited time to play games and the hours in which I played them I doubt I would get much use of it and I look at it that is what MMO's are for.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I would also say that it came to hard on the heels of the new Decent game which is very similar to this one and they were probably a good 6 months to early with the Kickstarter as in the end they had nothing to show.

And one of the most frequent comments I have seen on the internet is that in no way shape or form is this game a sequel to X Wing.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Hmm there website and kickstarter page has had zero activity, think this one is dead.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Does look like it's gone dark maybe they will come back in the new year.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks like they have resurface again.

Should keep the whining multiplayer happy until they get board of it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

And another video.

And according to the YouTube post they will be releasing project updates this summer, better hurry up as summer nearly over.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Couple of new video have appeared.

ReplyQuote
GrumpySam
(@grumpysam)
Petty Officer Registered

Some fun trivia: The brain scan in the second video shows a possible vermis atrophy (shrinking of a part of the brain). Its leads to balance disturbances. Bad locomotion skills, disturbed reflexes, dizziness. This guy is a NOT a top starfighter pilot.

The rest of the brain seems fairly normal. So possible causes for the focal atrophy could be alcoholism. Wouldn't want to have this guy as my wingman!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Some fun trivia: The brain scan in the second video shows a possible vermis atrophy (shrinking of a part of the brain). Its leads to balance disturbances. Bad locomotion skills, disturbed reflexes, dizziness. This guy is a NOT a top starfighter pilot.

The rest of the brain seems fairly normal. So possible causes for the focal atrophy could be alcoholism. Wouldn't want to have this guy as my wingman!

😆 😆 good one.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

A new kickstarter is now going on for this game, check it out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/impellerstudios/starfighter-inc-0 looks like they are looking to fund $150k and they are almost 25% there in the first 2 days so doing a lot better.

Looks like they are getting more support this time (see what real gameplay videos get you), but still only multi-player only game 🙁

Here is the kickstarter video:

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

looks like the kickstarter is starting to slow down and unless something major comes out I am doubtful that they will meet their goal since they are about 60% there now. Its going to be tough personally to get more space games through kickstarter just for the simple fact for over the past few years we have had hundreds of space and scifi game kickstarters and I think people are getting burned out. But I could be wrong.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3