Notifications
Clear all

StarWars Squadrons

Page 1 / 2

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Don't get too excited as it by EA and theirs supposed to be a big reveal on Monday, but my guess would be some sort of online nonsense like the Battlefront games.

Wonder if this was the game EA was working on when Double Damage pitched their StarWars game.

This topic was modified 4 years ago by DarkOne

Topic Tags
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Yeah I heard we were going to get a new game.... this could be a great game IF they stick to the old game models in the X-Wing games.... Or even just like some of these well done mods that are out there. They could really make a great story based game here if they wanted, I wouldn't buy this if it was online only.

Supposedly the video is going to be displayed here:

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Nice CGI but no gameplay footage but looking on the game sites they say it will be 5v5 multiplayer and cross platform support also a single player campaign but no word on how long it will be as well as VR support.

Think we will get some gameplay footage later in the week.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

You can definitely tell from the trailer that its weighted more on the MP side of things. But they could also build on the SP side of things where you build on your squadron, leveling them etc... making you care about your squad like in Wing Commander 🙂 

They could have something here IF they make a SP/MP that has good gameplay, but we won't know until the gameplay trailers hit... it is releasing this year though

Supposedly there will be a gameplay reveal on Thursday

This post was modified 4 years ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

2nd of October according to the Steam page https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222730/STAR_WARS_Squadrons/?snr=1_4_4__118

looks like you have to have a origin account as well, it's on the cheap side for a full price game, makes me think that single player campaign might not be very long. Think I will give it a miss until some time next year although I would get it if it's going to support PSVR. As the free VR DLC that was given away with the BattleFront game was pretty good.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Gameplay trailer... Note bad, I will be interested if all these customizations and skills can all be attained by playing or if there is some sort of loot box setup? But they have of course player vs player and single player elements and playing with bots. So the game has got some promise, and personally they are setting the mood, it feels like it will be a nice Star Wars experience. 

This post was modified 4 years ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Better than expected, looks like EA are learning how to make games.

Will be interested in seeing how they do the power management with a joypad and it looks like the VR will be on the PS4 version as well. so I will be buying it some time next year.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Nice video that is describing the gameplay, I really like the fact that the cockpit controls actually are useful 👍 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Nice CGI video, I think all Star Wars movies should start to go this route.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Way better, than the last trilogy!! A "Privateer" game in the time of "The Mandalorian" maybe??????

ReplyQuote
Blah64
(@blah64)
Senior Chief Registered

Despite of how I think the games themselves will turn out, that was a great cinematic.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Games out and I did something I not done in years, I bought it on the PS4 on release and it's a freaking EA game, I feel ashamed.🤣 

ReplyQuote
Blah64
(@blah64)
Senior Chief Registered

I have bought and refunded the game.  I love seeing the inside of a Star Destroyer and a TIE fighter in VR, but I didn't like the controls and didn't feel like wasting the 2 hours of refundable time fixing the controls.

I will probably get it when it goes on sale.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

See that their have been some complaints about the controls on Steam but I guess it more Rogue squadron than X wing /Tie fighter. 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Yeah lots of people are complaining about the HOTAS controls and that the single player story is a little meh.... I would have figured they would have concentrated on the MP aspect of the game, but there is a lot of fans of the lore of SW and if you do a good SP campaign the game will sell 🙂 I would say by Xmas they will have the kinks worked out and it will be solid.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

@sscadmin I played the first  (empire) mission on Veteran, and I really like it. No Rogue Squadron, but closer to TIE Fighter. My Logitech Wingman 3D is very responsive, but I had to assign keys to it, using the in game menu, and not through a script.  

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Thanks for the heads up on the story side @captainkal, have you had the opportunity to play the rebel/alliance side? I hope they continue to patch the game for a few more months especially after reading this:

“Never say never, so to speak, but as far as our philosophy goes we’re not trying to treat the game as a live service,” says Ian Frazier, Creative Director on Star Wars: Squadrons. “We don’t want to say, ‘It’s almost done!’ and then dribble out more of it over time, which to be honest is how most games work these days. So we’ve tried to treat it in kind of an old-school approach saying, ‘You’ve paid the $40, this is the game and it’s entirely self-contained. We’re not planning to add more content, this is the game, and we hope you understand the value proposition.'”

“From pretty early on we wanted to be a space combat game, emphasis on space,” says Frazier. “So even though we do go into the outer atmosphere of Yavin Prime, we never go anywhere truly terrestrial because we wanted to separate the game in that flavor from something like Battlefront, which we already have. “

“No plans at this time,” says Frazier. “Obviously if you have the Oculus Quest and Link with a PC that has sufficient requirements you can run a Quest off of your PC, but as a standalone thing, no plans at this time.”

I hope it sells well and EA can make this a nice series and slowly build up the SP/Story side of things and introduce different MP missions.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Must give this a try this weekend in VR if I can drag myself away from RDR2.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

So I finally manage to drag myself away from RDR2 and I just love it, if you ever played with the action figures as a kid and wished you could fly the ships then the VR version of the game is a fanboy dream come true. 🤣 

Cockpit of the ship are really good and well detailed with your avatar pressing button and it's great to be able to see your body in the game, something which NMS does not have although I did give my self a fright when I leaned back and found myself headless.

Also found that I can play the game longer than NMS without getting sick, graphic wise nothing spectacular but does the job well my only criticism  sofar is in-between mission bit and that only because you can't move around freely on the hangers decks.

I'm only the early part of the game and have just been given a A wing to fly but sofar really enjoying it. 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Thanks @Pinback for the feedback, I will look into getting this during the steam sales. I have been pleased with the in-game action I saw and the SW immersion they are trying to do was appreciated. Shame that you cannot do more things in-between missions, but if they give us a good story in the end that is all that matters.

The import question you didn't answer is which are you playing right now the Empire or the Rebels? 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sscadmin

The import question you didn't answer is which are you playing right now the Empire or the Rebels? 🙂

Both as you can't pick a side in the single player game but the missions move between Empire and Rebels although their seems to be more Rebels missions.

I would also say wait for a sale if you don't have a VR headset as I don't think the flat game would be as good and as it only has 14 missions it is a bit on the short side.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Oh thanks for that, I thought there was different story lines for the empire and rebels (kinda like SWTOR) that's a shame....

Eventually I will dabble in VR.... I tried that Quest one my daughter has it, but she only had games where I had to stand and do stuff... but if I could sit in a chair and just use it for looking and still use keyboard and mouse that would be nice.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

The story pretty good as it takes place after ROJ, so far I'm about half way through it as I'm just doing one mission a day and have just switched back to the Empire.

Found the joypad work pretty well in the game, it's just a question of remembering what combo of buttons does what, can't say the same for the radar which is useless in the VR game.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Pinback

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

El Reg review here.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Nice update for the game, pity it's only for the online one which is getting the new ships https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/news/holiday-supply-drops?isLocalized=true at lest if you play the online game you will be able to fly the B Wing which was missing from the single player game.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2