Notifications
Clear all

Is this game officially "Dead"?

Swaag
(@swaag)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I made the mistake of not checking out the SFRU forums before buying this game off of Steam in my never ending quest for the perfect Elite resurrection by any name. Their forum is so dead that the mods haven't even noticed that they got some friends in China who managed to inject their sales pitches all over it -- those are the most current posts.

Luckily it was only $4.99. But it still doesn't excuse Steam from offering it without saying "oh and btw, this game is pretty well hosed". Oh well. It was a lesson re-learned "on the cheap".

Glad I re-found this site and will be checking posts for suggestions & recommendations on "The Perfect Open Ended Space Travel/Trader/Merc Game".

Cheers

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Yes the original developer seem to be long gone but this Publisher/ developer ❓ seems to have acquired their assets.

http://www.dreamatrix.net/site/

As for the "The Perfect Open Ended Space Travel" really depends on what you want from it.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

There is no support for this game any more and Provox Games website is still online for SpaceForce: RU ( http://www.spaceforce-game.com ). It is a shame there was no support and mod tools released for this game because it could have been a classic because I like the engine a lot. Plus a few more tweaks to the game it would have been a true classic, instead they published it and left it.

ReplyQuote
Songbird
(@songbird)
Senior Chief Registered

More than a year since the last post here.  

The game still has community support.  Through the STEAM user's forum, I found this link which will take you to here and you'll find a mod up that is, well, less than a year old.  The link to the mod is here.

As DarkOne mentions, modding tools are absent, but the game does come with an editor and a player can create star systems and contents... one can re-imagine current star-systems or create new ones, populated with events, ships, and, well stuff.

Admittedly, the game manual and tutorial are sparse, but if one takes the time to get into this game and tackle the learning curve, the SFRU universe is a rich one with a good deal of depth and offers multiple roles for role-playing.  One of the items I appreciate about the game is, while I don't take advantage of it, the game offers female characters, something often not done in this genera.  

If the game seems difficult, elite-games.ru offers a lot of helpful documents and a very good walkthrough of the storyline.  The Sandbox is rather fun to role-play in:-)

There's my two-pence on SFRU.  Back to the Sandbox...

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Hmm, I don't think I've played this game. I might just give it a try with this mod, thanks for letting me know.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nice find Songbird and its only 76meg.

will have to download it and have a look see.

Any pics of it.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Going to repost this info in a new thread so this info isn't lost and I will upload this mod to the download area.

ReplyQuote
Songbird
(@songbird)
Senior Chief Registered

Nice find Songbird and its only 76meg.

will have to download it and have a look see.

Any pics of it.

No pics... I've had a look at the backgrounds in just looking at the enclosed files and they look wonderful.  I've not done the install yet as I've not grown tired of the original yet.

As an aside, in support of this (developer) unsupported game, there are a number of things good and bad.  As a sandbox game, there are no ultimate goals.  Unlike the X series, you can't really create an economic empire: this is just role-playing for the sake of it.  There is a supply and demand economy for both legal and illegle goods.  I've always felt this genera catered to only half of the possible audience for these games, so I'm glad to see female characters included for roleplaying as well as a smattering of aliens as well.  

My point being (promise not to soapbox) few games will ever meet our expectations because the way the game is played is not how we would have made the game.  Occasionally, if we cross that barrier past what we would have done to what is really there, one can find some mighty spiffy fun to be had

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Tried out last night on the XP machine

Must have done something wrong as the game is way too dark to see anything and there were two huge red and white signs with the words missing written on them.

reinstalled the original files, turns out the signs were referring to the planet and moon.

ReplyQuote