Notifications
Clear all

SPAZ Preview

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone

I just posted a small write-up on SPAZ and creating this area for comments on the article or the game itself. Do checkout the demo when you get a chance and give everyone your opinion:

Quote:

Space Pirates and Zombies (SPAZ) is an upcoming title from Minmax Games that is currently in closed beta (get demo here). This two person development team has really put together a nice top-down strategy shooter that you can spend many hours playing. I thik I have clocked in around 20+ myself so far playing in the beta and I am not even close to reaching the Galactic Core.

In SPAZ you first have to select your galaxy size, and in my opinion is a very interesting concept and important to your gameplay experience. If you look at the screenshot you will notice that the different star systems have a number value. This is the level that it recommended to enter the star system. So you can make the game as difficult or easy as you want. You will probably spend a few minutes generating a new galaxy to give you a nice starter path to the middle layer of stars.

spazgame-20110511-2346132.jpg

After the galaxy selection you go through a few beginner missions which teach you the basics about playing the game and understanding the tactics, tech tree and navigation. I will try to layout the basics of most of the views:

Ships Log: This view gives you an overview of the storyline missions that you have completed or that are in progress.

spazgame-20110521-1428406.jpg

- Tactics: You can use this screen for varies duties like combat orders, movement orders, setting roles/behaviors of your wingmen (ex: defensive stances, gathering instructions, target leaders target and more). This view is very useful and you will use it often.

spazgame-20110526-0815262.jpg

- Hangers: This is where you assign hulls (ships) to yourself and wingmen. You can add many components to your ships like mining lasers, tractor beams, laser beam wepaons, torpedos, missiles, cloaks, armor, shields and more to your ships. The amount of slots available to mount these items depends on the ship hull types (tiny, small, medium and large) which there is currently 28 in the beta I am playing. You use your REZ (currency) that you aquire in the game through missions and mining to purchase items and add these to your ships.

spazgame-20110526-0815529.jpg

- Research: Simply put this is your skill tree and you will notice that more skills will unlock as you rise in the levels. The game will also tell you what is the avg level of tech for the opposition in the present sector that you are in. This will give you an idea on how you stack up against the other factions in the game.

spazgame-20110521-1428493.jpg

- System Map: The system map shows you mission points, side story missions, mining areas and the warp gates leaving the sector.

spazgame-20110521-1429346.jpg

- Star Map: Your star map is the galaxy you selected at the start of the game and you can view your progress on this galaxy map.

spazgame-20110521-1429122.jpg

Now on to the gameplay and combat. Even though there is a strategic/tactics element to the game it really doesn't hinder the action in the game much at all. You really don't even need to use the tactical map at all really if you don't want to because you have on screen icons that will guide you to targets and mission objectives. Another thing you use the tactics window for is finding mining spots and containers in the sector. One thing I have experimented with in the game and I think it helps make gameplay a bit easier is when you enter a system, look over the system map and see the relation levels for the different factions in that sector. Examine the different missions and areas available to you and use the faction relation levels to your advantage to help you earn favor before going into a sector where you may be hated. Doing this will help you access stations and maybe lower the risk of the factions fighting you on contact.

The combat itself is fast paced and is fun and you will find out really quick if you are under equipped for mission. The visuals are great with the space effects and stations and debris moving through space. The weapons respond very well in combat and your ships shows some nice wear/damage as combat goes on. Make sure you keep your crew full and you mine to get REZ, because you will need the REZ to get past certain sectors where you die a lot and building ships costs REZ and crew members. So you might need to grind a little in some of the mining sectors to build up your reserves.

spazgame-20110521-1440148.jpg

spazgame-20110521-1440171.jpg

spazgame-20110521-1440203.jpg

spazgame-20110521-1457440.jpg

spazgame-20110521-1619052.jpg

spazgame-20110521-1428243.jpg

So since Space Pirates and Zombies is still in beta what do you think should be addressed or added to this great game? I will list a few of my thoughts on what I think should be tweaked or added to the game to provide an even better experience (but for a two person development team this is a great piece of work!):

[*:2dettef0] I think the Hanger section needs to allow the player to customize their ship more. For instance you have a small hull, and you have 4-5 mount points available. All of these mount points you are only allowed to equip certain types of things. I think the player should have the ability to decide to exclude items and add more weapons or armor to the ship.

[*:2dettef0] The sectors in SPAZ are fairly large and would be nice if there was more in them. Give the game a exploration feel to it by creating some nebulas (with positive/negative effects), more outposts, derelict ships, hidden caches, etc. Most of these don't need to show up on the tactical view and this way makes the players explore the sector before leaving.

[*:2dettef0] Random missions that can be received by communicating or proximity to another ship or station.

[*:2dettef0] This is more for combat with the stations and larger ships. It would be nice to have sub-system targeting.

[*:2dettef0] I haven't made it close to any end game material, but I would like to have more interaction or something to do with my mothership.

[*:2dettef0] Add the ability for modding or importing ships, stations, sectors and missions.

In conclusion, I am having a lot of fun playing Space Pirates and Zombies (SPAZ) and Minmax should be proud of this great indie title that is very close to being released. With having past experience with games like SubSpace and EV Nova, SPAZ is doing a lot of things right in this top-down space action strategy game that includes elements from all of these games and a few more of lesser known titles. Even though SPAZ has no multiplayer I don't see this as a crutch for the game I actually like the single-player element a lot. Minmax has a special currently where you can buy the game now (in beta phase), and get 25% off and get it for $14.99. Not a bad deal for the amount of gameply time you get, since your galaxies are randomly generated you have almost a endless playability options.

Here is a nice video that gives you a in-depth preview of Space Pirates and Zombies: