Notifications
Clear all

Also get access to over 60 free games in their trove of games, get 20 precent off all purchases and you can stop the subscription at anytime and keep all the games

Alliance Space Guard (a 3D spacesim with orbits and ship avionics!)  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Master Chief Registered
March 25, 2020 15:08  

Hi SSC,

Besides shopping for my elderly neighbors the best I can do is stay home and work and so here is a new video about the in-game electronic checklists. Hopefully this should make the learning curve slightly less "astronomical"!

Stay safe,
David

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
March 27, 2020 10:28  

Wow... @d-c-elington, you are putting your isolation time to good work here. This was a nice video that covered your controls and how they worked, I take it as you become familiar with the control panels and its systems you could just interact with the controls directly and not have to use the popup windows? But it was definitely nice to see the interaction with the popup selections and watching your HUD systems respond or the popup recognize that the correct controls have been interacted with. Very nice work, I am sure this took a long time to get this entire HUD working properly with all of the systems and their effects on other systems depending on their state.

Personally I didn't know the windows speech engine was that far along it actually sounds good and I am sure that is a lot less work for you to generate all that audio.

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Master Chief Registered
March 28, 2020 03:54  

Hi D1

Posted by: @sscadmin

I take it as you become familiar with the control panels and its systems you could just interact with the controls directly and not have to use the popup windows?

Definitely: the popups are totally optional. Otherwise I'm afraid that the one for the maneuvers would become rapidly annoying. The previous system to help with the flight sequencing ("advisory log", much quieter) is still in place and the checklists synchronize themselves on its messages actually.

About the speech synthesizer: yes there was a significant improvement between Win7 and Win10, and I think it's just the right amount of robotic for such a use! Also the English voices seem to be installed on all systems (they were on my French version) and technically the dedicated .NET API made it quite easy to create the sounds in a clean way (on a parallel thread with storage in a re-usable buffer) and play them through the game's audio layer.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Moderator
March 28, 2020 09:49  

Awesome work DC keep it up 😎 😎

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Master Chief Registered
March 29, 2020 03:33  

Thanks @pinback, switching to the creation of a proper game world (capital-planets, colonies, outposts, rim worlds etc...) and then to the NPC traffic.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: