Clear all

Descent: Underground

Page 1 / 2

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Folks

Just found out that Eric Peterson (Formally of Star Citizen & along with some others) has opened his own game studio called Descendant Studios. There is a forum <here> with more info. Their plan is to make a game somewhat like Descent but with much more expanded roles for players. Although its not finalised yet Eric is presently working with the Unreal 4 engine to create the game and will be attempting a fund raising when they have more to show potential backers.

Here is a vid from Eric (in his typical style) announcing his plans for the game:

Here is a sneak peek of one of the drones in the game. I can see the resemblance to the bots from the original Descent games.

ss2015-02-16at093635_zps9e7eb3d9.png

I also noted a problem with the links to Descent 1&2 Re-birth Mod in this old post of mine <here> and fixed it for those who may be interested.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Just had quick look at it and it seems a bit like Miner Wars.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
Topic starter  

Yep I'd agree with that too Pinback.

ReplyQuote
Caleb
(@caleb)
Senior Chief Registered

Mmmm one question:

This remake will be a free game? A comertial game? or what? :)))

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

Haven't been following stuff on the Star Citizen site for quite a while, so had no idea Wingman had left to go it alone.....

I wonder why he went?

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
Topic starter  

Mmmm one question:

This remake will be a free game? A comertial game? or what? :)))

As far as I know its going to be a commercial game Caleb. They are still to announce how or when they will start fund raising but I wouldn't be surprised if it was that different to Star Citizen's funding model. I stress though I am only guessing here truth be told.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Haven't been following stuff on the Star Citizen site for quite a while, so had no idea Wingman had left to go it alone.....

I wonder why he went?

Same here but it turn out the answers a simple one as in not wanting to move. https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/197558/dateline-wingman-update/p1

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

Same here but it turn out the answers a simple one as in not wanting to move. https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/197558/dateline-wingman-update/p1

Thanks for finding that Pinback.

Yes, makes perfect sense, I've been in a similar situation myself a few times with work.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

Actually I found that with some mods that do an impressive job of modernizing the game (forget what the main one was called), the Descent games are still pretty spectacular.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Actually I found that with some mods that do an impressive job of modernizing the game (forget what the main one was called), the Descent games are still pretty spectacular.

Descent XL. And you can find it here:  http://www.descent2.de/d2x.html

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
Topic starter  

Descent XL. And you can find it here:  http://www.descent2.de/d2x.html

Thanks for that CaptainKal, I will add that link to my old Descent post for DX Rebirth. That way links to both mods are in one place.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

Ah, thanks so much!  I'll definitely bookmark those so I don't lose track of them.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
Topic starter  

The name of this game has been disclosed its going to be called Ships That Fight Underground or....STFU for short

Anyways here is  a promo vid for the upcoming livestream about the game...warning what has been seen cannot be unseen!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

The name of this game has been disclosed its going to be called Ships That Fight Underground or....STFU for short

Anyways here is  a promo vid for the upcoming livestream about the game...warning what has been seen cannot be unseen!

EEEEK, now that's disturbing.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
Topic starter  

Kickstarter has begun for the game (now renamed Descent Underground). Here is a link. Was watching the live stream and there is a chance that some of the original Descent devs might be onboard for this as Eric has secured the rights to use the Descent name now.

And here is another promo vid, this time without the er...um nakedness

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

$67 grand so far so not doing to badly although 600K a big target.

I will have to wait and see if they do a PayPal option.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Seems to have hit the mid Kickstarter doldrums although they still have 23 days to go.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Ooohhhh   that's a real good notice! I'm a descent series fan and i really cannot miss this! It's one of the best games in 90's years.

I hope we can reach the kickstarter goal.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

14 days left and just under the half way mark, they can probably still do it if they get a big enough boost towards the end.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Just over the half way mark now with 7 days left to go, no sign of a Paypal option yet.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Mmmmhhhh, it doesn't seems the kickstarter campaign goes very well.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

It still possible but 250K is a tough nut to crack in a week but a lot of Kickstarter do come good in the last 48 hours.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
Topic starter  

I would be very surprised indeed if this one failed to make target especially so with it's links to Star Citizen. I could be wrong of course but I think there will be a pledging fever going on in this last week for the project. I guess it depends on how much it appeals to both Star Citizen fans and the greater Descent community. I know there was a little bit of a moment when an ongoing fan created project called  Experimental [Sol Contingency] was given a cease and desist order by Interplay. Here is a work in progress vid for it below. It looked pretty good too as you can see. Development still continues although it will be separated from any connection from Descent IP.

Personally I was kinda hoping Eric would bring these folks creating this onboard (or at least ask their advice) for his project as the amount of experience they would have with AI path finding, level design ect would have been a great help as they (like Eric) are using the Unreal Engine, even if its Unreal 3 instead of 4 as Eric is using. I guess though Interplay's stance on the issue has made that difficult now.

Anyways, another demo vid of Descent Underground has been released showing early multiplayer play.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
Topic starter  

Kickstarter for Descent Underground moving into it's last 2 days. They are steadily closing in (at the time of writing) on their target funding of $600,000 and planning live streams aplenty for the final run in.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Looks like it will be a close run, 27 hours to go and 109K to hit the target.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2