Notifications
Clear all

Everspace 2

Page 2 / 5

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Think it still the same with a joypad in Everspace 1 you have to keep the thumb stick pushed forward to go forward, I have only played it with the keyboard but the "WASD" controls work well in this game as it not really an open world type of game. it's more linear as you always have to go forward to get to the next jump gate.

I get the feeling from the dev interview video for Everspace 2 that the solar system will be on the small side but will be greater density of objects for the player to interact with, so as in order compensate for the "WASD" control scheme to work. As it does not work in more bigger open world games like SP3 and Spacebourn.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Pinback

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

Nothing wrong with a "Space 3D FPS" and I'm certainly too narrow-minded but I'm finding the ships' design at odds with the concept. Shouldn't they drop the usual "aerodynamic / flying forward" look for something that says more "I can move in any direction"? More spherical maybe? 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Now you mention it, it's a shame they did not have too types of ship, one for flying into an atmosphere and one just for space but then again it may just mess up the dynamics of the game.

Wonder if you get any performance boost from the ship parts which can be added for space or atmosphere flying.  

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Check Steam summer game festival and you will find the prototype demo of the game which I believe is from the Kickstarter.  

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

Posted by: @pinback

it may just mess up the dynamics of the game.

You're right I had forgotten about the part in atmospheres. That said I was again searching for physics where it does not matter I guess 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Had a couple of hours playing around with the demo of the game and I have to admit that the WASD keyboard layout work really well in ES2 unlike SPG3 or Spacebourn where it just a complete fail. My only guess as why this might be is the smaller game arear unlike the other games which tend to have greater distance between objects in the game.

Found the upgrade screen to be very easy to use and understand, which makes a change. so far my only negative comments would be the white loading screen which appears far too often, although given that this is an early prototype of the game this hopefully will be improved upon in the upcoming Alpha.

My other one is a general gripe about radars in newer game and the fact we don't get them anymore, all we get is a bunch of coloured boxes off to the side of the screen.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Just looking at the Steam page and see the release date has been pushed back till the end of Jan 21 not that it very surprising and would not be too surprised if it slip again.

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)

I think I read somewhere it was also to dodge the release of Cyberpunk?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Another 2 hour stream, no idea what it about as I'm not watching someone play a game for two hours but they seems to e doing a lot of them.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

It's a lot of time from my last visit here on spacesim central...i was a lot busy but anyway i'm now very happy to return here (this is a fantastic site) and see that rockfish is developing a sequel to everspace.

Now, i think everspace is a good game but i didn't like it because i do not like rogue like games...it's only a question of tastes, the game is good.

I hope that with everspace 2 they turned on a gameplay like in wing commander or star wars squadrons (i love that game!) with no rogue like.

And for the rpg elements...i like it!

I'm also a developer...i understand how hard is to develop videogames so to the rockfish team i say: good work boys and very good luck for your project!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Welcome back Natansharp.

Looks like the game is shaping up pretty well and hopefully they will not spend a lot of time in early access, I much enjoyed playing the demo even with he W.A.S.D controls, which I will admit work really well in this game.

Here's the latest 2 hour stream for any one who has the time to watch it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

According to the YouTube vid the game should be hitting Steams early access on the 18 of Jan.

EVERSPACE 2 is a fast-paced single-player space shooter with deep exploration, tons of loot, and modern RPG elements. Experience a thrilling story set in a vivid, handcrafted open-world full of secrets and perils on your journey as a former clone space pilot to become human after all. Coming to Steam Early Access and GOG Games in Development on January 18, 2021. Priced at €37.99 / $39.99 / £31.99, the game will launch in English with professional voice acting for the first 12+ hours of the story campaign and several side missions that take place in the first two star systems of the final game. The initial version will be good for at least 25 hours of gameplay, while introducing pilots to EVERSPACE 2’s core gameplay mechanics of space combat, exploration, mining, puzzle-solving, traveling, trading, itemization, crafting, ship customization, player and companion perks as well as five different player ship subclasses.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Damn those skyboxes and environments look good and the action seems solid, if they take their time this could be a solid hit for them.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Game should be out today and they have a new trailer for it.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Hi pilots! Looking to the trailers on steam it looks very cool, i'll give it a chance!

Darkone: looking to the wallpaper behind the forum...have you used spacescape to render it?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Will be buying it myself but not right now as I think it's going to be in early access for another year.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Big long post on Steam about how well the game has done since launce and some of the issues they have been having, the price also get a mention which is the main reason I not bought into it yet as I'm going to wait until the game is more finished.

I removed the link in this as steam is warning against going to some of them but you can find the full version on Steam with links and pics.

A quick summary of the EVERSPACE 2 Early Access release and addressing the most hot topics.

Greetings, Pilots!

PHEW, what a launch week! EVERSPACE 2’s start in Steam Early Access exceeded our wildest expectations. So far, we’ve received overwhelmingly positive feedback from fans and press all over the world. After we started Early Access with more than 260,000 wishlist entries on Steam, we were very confident. However, we would never have dared to dream that we would land at number 1 on the global Steam Charts in no time and stay in the top ten for six consecutive days, resulting in .

Last week’s sneaky reveal: You wanted it, you got it: EVERSPACE 2 is available on NVIDIA Geforce NOW!

After a few hours, we saw over 3,000 concurrent players, which is more than double the record of the lower-priced, original EVERSPACE during its first big summer sale. With currently 93% positive reviews, we seem to have hit the bulls-eye with tens of thousands of space shooter fans. The critical consensus from the media and content creators is also overwhelmingly positive, and we’d like to share a few articles and our favorite video previews with you:

“Everspace 2 is close to being the new gold standard for space shooters | I like tinkering with graphs and plotting galactic domination as much as the next guy, but I'm enjoying Everspace 2's singular focus on energetic combat and exploration. Even though it's an Early Access game that Rockfish says still needs 12 to 18 months of work, Everspace 2 is absolutely worth buying when it releases on January 18.” - 

“I’m already heavily impressed by Everspace 2 and think Rockfish Games is doing an incredible job. The combat is excellent, the graphics look great, and the game naturally explains all of its mechanics in an extremely clear manner that makes it more than easy to grasp all of its many facets. The only worrisome thing is that, yes, you’re going to lose your save if you play now. Aside from that, though, the game is very much well worth picking up, as it’s a blast.” - 

“EVERSPACE 2 | The Best Space Adventure In A Looong Time. This space shooter brings along a single-player galaxy exploring adventure, fluid controls, worthwhile upgrades, and great combat.” - Boomstick Gaming

Everspace 2 - Excellent Already! Karak with ACG does a 5 point rundown of differences and details he likes in this 5 point inspection preview of the early access. - ACG

Troubleshooting

As with every “major” launch, quite a few users ran into technical issues, especially as the game is still in Early Access. A lot of the issues discovered are on our list already; some require deeper investigation on our side; for others, there are workarounds, a few are engine-related issues where we have to rely on our friends at Epic Games.

Mouse + Keyboard, Gamepad, and HOTAS Input

Some pilots have mentioned MKB input feeling laggy or sluggish, which was surprising since we had received a lot of praise for the tight shooter-like WASD-controls in the predecessor. It’s one of the few code snippets that we didn’t rewrite for EVERSPACE 2, but we made some adjustments as the sequel’s combat is slightly slower-paced. If you prefer a more direct input, go to settings->input->mouse+keyboard and set "mouse position" to "operating system."

If you’re a veteran space pilot coming over from a classic space flight sim and just can’t get the feel of EVERSPACE’s primary gimbal weapons and twitchy aiming, we got good news for you: Due to popular demand, the option to have the crosshair always centered when using the mouse, as well as options to show or hide the mouse deadzone and a small dot indicating the screen center, will be available in the next patch.

If you play with a gamepad controller and are used to it, you should feel fine with at least one of the presets that you can still customize. We also invested quite a lot of time and effort into getting HOTAS/HOSAS support right from the start. While it works fine for all , the devil seems to be in the details. If you run into any HOTAS issues, please try disabling Steam Input, which did the trick for quite a few HOTAS pilots. If things still don't work properly, we kindly ask for your patience. We will look into these issues soon, but it won't be an easy task. We plan on opening a dedicated thread on the forums regarding key binding issues, and with your help and feedback, we should be able to find out why it isn't working for everyone.

Even if HOTAS input is preferred by “only” 12% of pilots according to our recent poll, we understand it is important for them. We really want to nail this, but we need your feedback if things don’t work as expected and hope for your patience. If anyone wants to add their vote,.

Ongoing Optimization Efforts

Before we go into the details, please bear in mind that playing EVERSPACE 2 with max settings puts a lot of strain on both your CPU and GPU. We’ve done a fair amount of performance optimization, and while there is still some room for improvement, don’t expect any miracles when playing on older hardware. We’ve been working closely with our friends at Nvidia and AMD to performance-test builds - both rated the Early Access version with “good” - and utilize their in-depth feedback for further performance optimization. To get the best experience, always make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed and try running the game with DX11 if your GPU is older than two years.

Most crash reports were submitted by players running EVERSPACE 2 at max settings on older hardware or Windows versions or on overclocked GPUs. Here’s a pretty . Please note that we most likely will not support Windows 7 or Windows 8 as we cannot guarantee that future versions of Unreal Engine 4 will still support those operating systems.

Pricing

One of the biggest discussions on the Steam forums and on social media is about the pricing of EVERSPACE 2 in Early Access. While we understand $39.99 / €37.99 might feel steep compared to typical indie games in Early Access, please bear in mind that EVERSPACE 2 is a AA production with a development cycle over 4+ years by a veteran team of 25, plus a handful of long-term contractors as well as additional external AAA art services. We feel our asking price is right for the current production quality and the amount of content and features already in the game. At full release, we plan to reasonably increase the price to what is common within the genre of high-quality open-world space games.

If the price is not right for you, that’s totally fine. You might pull the trigger sometime down the road or never at all. To manage expectations: We plan to run only a few moderate sales between 10% to 15% during Early Access as we respect and value the financial commitment of our backers who shelled out up to $38/€35 for a digital copy on PC during our crowdfunding campaign back in 2019 when we had only a prototype to show.

Now, we noticed that in some countries, the price for EVERSPACE 2 is somewhat higher, which sucks. However, much like any indie dev, we followed Steam’s suggestion for regional pricing, and we don’t want to open a can of worms by adjusting prices in certain countries. This would inevitably cause outrage in other regions where we don’t adjust the price. Constantly monitoring and adjusting regional pricing, factoring in exchange rates, and purchasing power is big publisher territory.

Disliked Features

Even though EVERSPACE 2 is currently sitting at a staggering 93% positive reviews out of 1275+ right out of the gate even without a day #1 patch, we’re not surprised about some negative feedback, especially from pilots that prefer a more hardcore, “realistic” space sim experience over our arcadey spacer shooter approach. We created EVERSPACE 2 with a focus on high accessibility and fun gameplay mechanics set in a game world with vibrant colors. Well, here’s the good news first: if you prefer a more simulation-style flight mechanic to cut engines and drift through space, etc., you can already do so by binding a key for this in the customize controls menu. The action does not have a default binding right now as we don't want to confuse players who might accidentally press the key and wonder why their ship all of a sudden keeps drifting.

Now the not so good news for space truckers that are not fond of puzzles in EVERSPACE 2. In the widest sense, simple puzzle-solving, like shooting generators to deactivate shields or activating several generators on the clock to power up a service space station, has already been a side gameplay mechanic in the predecessor. Those have all been optional and were intended to add some variety to the overall combat & exploration experience while yielding special rewards without breaking the flow of playing a fast-paced arcade space shooter.

Since exploration and discovery play a much bigger role In EVERSPACE 2, we wanted to test the waters in Early Access and take puzzle-solving a bit further by having a greater variety of puzzles utilizing the new grappling mechanic. This concept was introduced during our Kickstarter campaign back in 2019:

Long story short, puzzles will stay, but also know that we plan to balance the distribution of these puzzles with combat and other gameplay mechanics we add in the future. We plan to add more engaging puzzles, but the vast majority will still be optional. However, since accessibility is also really important to us, we consider the addition of a gameplay option to adjust puzzle timers.

Furthermore, a few pilots, mostly coming from die-hard space sims, find the short loading screens when entering a new location annoying or at least immersion-breaking, and we understand where you guys are coming from. We too would love to have no loading screens and will look into further optimization towards the full release, but it is not a priority as a lot of things are still subject to change during Early Access. To manage expectations, there will always be a lot of data to be loaded into memory when entering a new location in EVERSPACE 2 for technical reasons. Since we cannot hide the loading process by riding in an elevator or traversing through a tunnel, like in other games, and as streaming is probably not gonna do the trick either as you already can see the destination right in front of you before leaving supralight travel, don’t expect any miracles to happen.

The second "disadvantage" of having a handcrafted game world in an arguably pseudo-open space game is that locations have to have boundaries because space… Well, maps in EVERSPACE 2, or locations as we like to call them, are 10 km x 10 km x 5 km in size and bigger than in any other space game featuring handcrafted locations that we are aware of. We cannot go that much further without running into severe gameplay issues at the far ends of the maps without implementing dynamic world origin shifting, which would be a huge undertaking and may even break the game.

We’re not saying that isn’t technically feasible; we think it is just not worth the effort and the risk. In fact, we’re pretty happy with the size of the locations as they are since it fits our vision to design a great gameplay experience within a controllable area, featuring great maneuvering with robust 3D collision physics while flying at high speed in open space but also inside narrow spaces, like hollow asteroids, derelict space stations, tunnels etc., precision-maneuvering in centimeters - yeah, let this sink in, it’s nuts, we know! 😀

Last but not least, bear in mind: EVERY one of those fixed locations you can see on the map in EVERSPACE 2 was carefully designed, manually crafted, and tested by our team. For the final game, we plan to have some 100, each one featuring at least one challenge or mission objective plus various optional activities. In video game development, you gotta pick your battles, especially if you don’t have deep pockets. We went for quality over quantity.

Wanted Features

The closing sentence of the previous topic is also a great intro for this one: We already made a big leap in game development by taking EVERSPACE from an indie roguelike space shooter to an AA open-world space looter shooter with RPG elements plus endgame content. We know space game fans always want more, but there is only so much we can do as a 100% self-funded team of 25.

Consequently, big features like multiplayer (PvP, Co-op, shared online space, you name it), EVA (extravehicular activities aka Space Legs), piloting capital ships, and VR support have never been on our list. There is a plethora of technical, game design, and business reasons that have already been discussed at great length for each one of them, so no need to delve into each topic again here. We are 100% committed to the , and we’re laser-focused on our creative vision to make the best single-player open-world space looter shooter that we possibly can. Yet again, we’re putting everything on the line with EVERSPACE 2, and we don’t have any other irons in the fire. We don’t have any filthy-rich investors, big AAA publishers, or platform holders paying our bills in case things go sideways. This is just us and you, our fans! If you want to know where we’re coming from,.

Outlook

With this update, we had planned to share our high-level roadmap with you guys. However, we’re still digesting the enormous amount of feedback we’ve received so far on the Steam and GOG forums (2000+ open threads even after us merging threads wherever reasonable), our discord, and social media channels. While we’re already working on a lot of new content and additional features, we also want to make QoL improvements based on community feedback. There is some really good stuff being shared, so keep it coming!

Now, we don’t want to leave you hanging in the air with this update: System 3 is already in the works and scheduled to drop in summer because we’re not done yet with System 2! We still have some cool new stuff for Union up our sleeves with our first major content update in April. You can also look forward to piloting two new ship sub-classes as soon as the update drops.

Concept Art: Right now, visitors will find a side mission, assignments for various jobs as well as shops to trade goods at Noah Damaris Starport. And there is much more yet to come! Rest assured, we didn’t build this sprawling beast of a station just as a pit stop.

But wait, there is more! We’ve also been busy working on the first patch bringing various bug fixes, QoL improvements, and further performance optimization to be released sometime next week. Here’s the kicker: Everyone can jump right into it by switching to our all-new Experimental Branch on Steam.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Pinback

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Another whooper of a stream, can't they just make 5 min ones. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Amazing their doing short video, then again this may be too short. 😀 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Well they are still adapting to making videos that are not a hour plus haha... but its good that it will have customization to some extent 👍 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Showcasing one of the systems. 😎 nice selection of missiles.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I really liked this video, some nice content in it and it was like 4mins 🙂 

haha I think I would have fun with those corrosion missiles and I hope there is a lot more places we can explorer in the game because this will help with just exploring a sector just too see what you might find. Nice touch.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Oh god their gone back to making epic videos again, two freaking hours of it. 😠 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Short trailer showcasing a new system.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Another epic 2 hour stream about the new system which has been added to the game.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5