(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

New game play video.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

This game visually looks great, still want to see more gameplay mechanics besides combat.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Aye would be nice to know a bit more about it, my take on it at the moment is a 3D FTL game where you are always moving forward in the game.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

I have the same impressions as Pinback. It didn't seem as open ended as I first thought after seeing some videos. I'm not against FTL style play, I'm just curious why they didn't ape GoF2.

ReplyQuote
Bouitaz
(@bouitaz)
Senior Chief Registered

I hope they find success with their fresh take on the space sim genre. It does sound a bit interesting, so I'll be keeping an eye out.

They could always go back to the mold of GoF 2 afterwards, and I hope they do actually.

Far too few good space sims with a fixed third person chase cam as an option.

I don't even have to count them...Freelancer and Galaxy of Fire 2...with an "acceptable" Darkstar One...That's it.

There are more good 2D space sims than 3D sadly.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Their is a post on the steam forum http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/486215755/535151589899877459/ about some of the shenanigans that went on with fishlabs and GOF3.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

I love it! First of all i prefere first person especially on space games, i want to fill me "inside" the spaceship. 

Second, even if i like the "trade, build, fight" filosofy for space sim i surely prefere only the fight option! My heart is for wing commander and X wing series so i always hope for a good development of that kind of space sim.

ReplyQuote
Phaserlight
(@phaserlight)
Master Chief Registered

This does look like a really great game in the making.

The devs of that game I play know the devs behind this project.  Everyone in the Vendetta community that pledged at least $5 to the KS is supposed to get a special skin that will remain exclusive for a year...

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Hope it will be released in 2016.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I wish them all the success, when you do read that small background on GOF history its a shame what they had to go through so I hope being on their own that they find success with this new IP and hopefully becomes a series for them.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Very nice update from Rockfish with some more details of the game play.

Dear Pilots,

With GDC just around the corner, we are super busy getting a polished build ready that has all of the fundamental parts of EVERSPACE in place. The most obvious addition is the preliminary HUD and UI. Even though it looks pretty polished already, the main objective is to find out how well it works in 1st and 3rd person views. We haven’t even decided yet if we will have a HUD in 1st person view at all, or if all the information will instead be displayed on the cockpit’s screens.

Pick Your Ship!

The hangar – this is where all your runs will begin. It is the place where you can select your ship and see detailed stats on each ship class. Of course, the three ship classes will each have different strengths and weaknesses, offering a wide range of play styles.

d292adfc2db3fed8cc3126c63f74e10b_origina

Perks – What’s Under The Bonnet?

So far you have seen lots of in-game shots of beautiful and atmospheric space backdrops, randomized planets and asteroids, and staggering environmental effects, as well as gigantic capital ships, vast graveyards of shipwrecks, and action-loaded space battles featuring intense dog fights and big explosions. These are all the shiny parts of EVERSPACE. The Upgrade & Perks screen, on the other hand, shows you what's really down at the core. You will return here many, many times to improve your ship before flying out yet again. The design is far from final, but you’ll get the idea.

f997e98a040a86dcc07e864f4c52af36_originaSpend credits to unlock and upgrade perks.

Gear, Gadgets, Guns And More

In every roguelike you have plenty of equipment you can unlock and upgrade depending on your personal preference or play style. In EVERSPACE you will have four major types of equipment: Primary and Secondary Weapons, Consumables, and Devices. In order to modify or craft an item during a run, simply select a piece of equipment or an empty slot to open up a crafting list of available blueprints. You will find and unlock new blueprints as you play the game and won’t lose any of them after death. Upgrading and crafting both require a certain amount of resources, as you can see in the box on the right. At the bottom of the screen you can see all the resources you currently have on board. (Please note that some numbers don’t add up as this is not an actual screenshot).

ad3164b8d8bcc455749458462aff8273_originaSpend resources to craft and upgrade your equipment.

Damage Is Not Just A Number

To give you a more meaningful experience when being hit by enemies or exposed to environmental hazards, the damage system in EVERSPACE is fairly complex. Currently there are seven different components that can take damage. When one of these gets damaged, your ship will still be operational, but the damage will come with component-specific downsides. For instance, if your weapon component is damaged, your weapons will fire at a lower rate and will drain more energy. If your sensor is broken, your HUD will flicker and won’t show target indicators on screen. Repairing component damage requires resources and nano-bots, both of which you might also need in order to repair your hull or to craft new equipment - so think wisely before spending them all.

0aeaf1b24f5ec7c4752aabc0cf47625a_originaUse resources to repair damaged ship components.

Find YOUR Way!

At the start of each run we roll the dice and plot a new course that leads to your final destination. However, you are free to choose the exact route that you want to take. In the Sector View you can pick the next system to jump to and get high level information on what you can expect to find in each system. Further intel about resources and points of interest will require special sensors or devices.

e11ec7a71e75b261f84b100297d7e68d_originaFor every run a new course will be plotted.

The System View provides more detailed information on the locations in each system, like threat level, available missions, and main quest items. We have not yet decided on exactly how much information will appear here, but we’ll have a better idea after developing the upcoming Alpha release.

fe64b14c035ccb76f27de1dc1ff74baa_originaWithin a system pick the location you want to travel to before you leave via the next jump gate.

How Low Can You Go?

We have talked about our romantic interpretation of space before, and it is not just about making things look prettier and more interesting in a space game. It is also a means to provide a sense of scale and distance. We have taken this even further and you can now fly at lower altitudes above planets with stunningly detailed surface structures.

f953d3a8c801d552e7d4fe43da730d44_originaSometimes you might forget about shooting stuff and simply enjoy the view...

Big Business In Space

Sometimes Space can be a very busy place. We have created points of interest where many different things are going on. For instance, you will encounter mining facilities where huge mining lasers drill for ore. Drones will then carry the ore to the mining facility where freighters dock to load the refined resources and transport the precious freight to distant planets.

8f5865d59f3bbb3290c9a25eecfd1909_originaBig mining business going on.

It is up to you to mine for ore yourself, kill and loot the drones or go for the big guys…

ac317b55b6af23de32deaf31530d96ad_originaThink twice before you mess with a convoy.

Usually, freighters travel in a convoy with heavy fighters protecting them. It might be wise to wait for the right moment to ambush…

3af2d3b78cd84b8946a679f5507f1be4_origina

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Ship update and perks like in a RPG game...oh my god! I'm gonna love this game!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I have to admit Rockfish is really making something special and the attention to detail is nice to see, these UI screens are great looking and informative. Ah I think having a space game dry spell back a few years ago was worth it now 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Word from gaming site PCInvasion http://www.pcinvasion.com/everspace-alpha-coming-soon that Rockfish are stopping their crowdfunding and moving to Steams for their Alpha, can't see anything on the Rockfish site about so I guess we will have to wait until they send an announcement out to see if this bit of news is right.

After careful consideration we decided to cease the crowdfunding when the Alpha version will ship at the end of April. Steam doesn’t allow us to sell any copies whatsoever once we use their system to distribute game copies (which makes perfect sense from a platform owner point of view). On the other hand, we refrain from selling Alpha versions through Steam as this would mean going through Early Access officially whereas the game is far from ready for that. Furthermore, it would dilute the value of every Alpha and Beta access you guys got through Kickstarter or our website and of course we continue to appreciate your early commitment very much.”

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Some more gameplay footage and your last chance to get into the Alpha/Beta of the game as they will be stopping crowd funding on the 30th of this month.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

New Alpha out and they say the Beta not far off.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks like the beta will be starting at the end of this month according to their Kickstarter update.

All in all, things are coming together nicely for the launch of the exclusive Beta on July 29th. Beta backers will get their hands on EVERSPACE for the first time, and all Alpha backers can look forward to 85+ new features, tweaks, and bug fixes since our last patch from a few weeks ago. Let me highlight just some of the new features.

The biggest addition to the Alpha are the two new sectors waiting to be explored after you make it through the first four. You will see all-new ocean planets, rocky asteroids, improved space clouds and sun flares – which are not just beautiful to look at.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

So I got my Beta key yesterday, downloaded the Beta 1.6gb then another 150 meg update, started the game and it won't launch.

Thought they might have sorted any starting problems out in the Alpha.

Here's a nice trailer so I see what I can't play yet.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Heh, sorry Pinback. This is why I never play these alpha/beta games because it usually lets me down. But I have to admit the fluidity of the combat looks great in the video and of course the visuals look great (especially those explosions). Hope you get the starting problems fixed so you can play 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

It's been 24 hours now and I'm still waiting for a response from Rockfish, but given that it is a weekend it may be down to the fact that their is no one around who can answer it.

Will just have to wait and see.

ReplyQuote
natansharp
(@natansharp)
Master Chief Registered

Hope it will works soon pinback, i'd like to read your opinion about this game. Looking to vids it's more on dogfighting like freespace maybe...i love this kind of space sims and everspace could be a very good choice while squadron 42 will be released.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

No luck getting it to work so far and pretty poor response from Rockfish, one of the other member on the beta forum suggested that it maybe something do with a windows net framework.

At the moment I'm just waiting to see if theirs another update to the game from rockfish as I know from past experience a later update can make a game work.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

No luck getting it to work so far and pretty poor response from Rockfish, one of the other member on the beta forum suggested that it maybe something do with a windows net framework.

That might be something Pinback, I know when I have once before uninstalled and reinstalled only the .Net or C++ distributable that was needed to play a game and it worked well after that. I mean just looking at my add/remove programs on my system now I have 20x Visual C++ versions and 6x .Net installs. So there has to be some conflicts in there some where. You would think they would make them all inclusive and the latest would support everything from older versions 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Could be but I have not got around to doing with it yet and their is a new update for the game, but I won't be able to download until the weekend.

I see the game will be launching on GOG soon, if anyone is thinking of buying into it just be mindful that if you have any technical problems with getting the game running you can expect no help from Rockfish on their Beta forum.

Edit, should also be coming to Steams early access as well.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

A 300MB update and still not working.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4