Notifications
Clear all

Hardspace: Shipbreaker

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

From the maker of Homeworld Deserts of Kharak  and homeworld 3 comes a game about breaking old starship up, their a bit more about it pn PC gamer website https://www.pcgamer.com/hands-on-hardspace-shipbreaker/ and the game should hit Steams early access in the summer https://store.steampowered.com/app/1161580/Hardspace_Shipbreaker/ could do with more xenomorphs.

This topic was modified 4 years ago by DarkOne

Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

What an intriguing and dare I say, fresh concept. I don't think I can recall anything similar to this. The premise does sound fresh and I see an element of humor as well, something I do appreciate in my games if it's done right.

I do wonder though how they plan on keeping the game from becoming repetitive. Hopefully they will include some random and unexpected goodies to keep excitement going as the player cuts up an untold number of ships. 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

I do wonder though how they plan on keeping the game from becoming repetitive.

That is a very good point, because watching this second video you can see quickly this could become boring.... yeah I am sure each ship will have a challenge in how to best recover the valuable components. But you are still doing the same thing over and over just on a slightly different looking ship. It was nice addition to have hazards like oxygen and live electric lines etc... I think they will need more to keep people playing after 10+ hours.

Hmm what to add... maybe other salvagers trying to take your claim or rob you, black market options, suit upgrades or suit positive/negative options depending on manufacturer, different cutting torches because maybe you can get paid better for better cuts or as @Pinback stated add some xenomorphs

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

This does look interesting although Star Citizen is also aiming to incorporate ship salvaging in it's game play too. Goodness knows tho when that will be in the build.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Get the feeling that the game made be on the short side after you have taken the different ships apart and died the different deaths. think they should add some aliens into the game even if it just gives you some more amusing deaths as in opening a door and being pounced on by a face hugger. 

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @pinback

think they should add some aliens into the game even if it just gives you some more amusing deaths as in opening a door and being pounced on by a face hugger. 

While I'm beginning to wonder about your sense of humour... I agree that something more is needed if they game hopes to retain player interest past a few hours or have serious re-play value.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Biological waste could be another series of amusing deaths, wrong type of cutting torch and boom. 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @pinback

Biological waste could be another series of amusing deaths, wrong type of cutting torch and boom

Amusing deaths??? Count me in! In all seriousness though, they will have to instil some more unexpected and random elements to keep interest going past a few hours. A large pool of deaths is one approach, but some good random events that don't kill you might also be nice.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Very hard to see where they can go with this as it's a bit of one trick pony like Journey to the Savage Planet where they have just taken a basic idea and tried to make a game out of it. As Geraldine said I can see it working well in a game like Star Citizen where you have the option to go and do something else.

Also you may only have maybe 4 basic environment in the game, gravity on/off and outside/inside the ship along with the basic mission structure of take get and collect, maybe some timed mission as well. think this game will be on the short side as once you have seen all the deaths and environments, theirs not going to be a lot else to do.  

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Devs talking about the game and they make it sound like it's going to be a grind to play.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Some gameplay footage here and the game should be dropping on Steam on the 16, do like the idea of touching a pipe to see if their is anything going through it.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

This game has now hit early access on steam and can be purchased for $20

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Game we not checked on in along time and I have read that it will be coming out of early access after the next update /// Next Update and Full Release :: Hardspace: Shipbreaker General Discussions (steamcommunity.com)

Very nearly bought this in the last Steam sale but passed on it.

ReplyQuote