Notifications
Clear all

Materia Ex Vita

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Know idea what the title means but it's a space sim with seamless planet landings and walking about on the surface and ship boarding and their is a demo of the game on their itch.io page  https://dante2001.itch.io/mev could not get it to download for me but their is a tutorial on their YouTube page, posted below 

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

<dredges up schoolboy Latin from fifty years ago>

Something like Matter from Life (or Matter out of Life) - but the devs probably intend a different meaning.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Looks interesting, good start so far. Hope development continues.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Let hope they keep going as I like the look of the game although not keen on the space station which looks like a planet.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Welcome to SSC, amigo!

Downloaded here okay (1.5GB), but I had to make an exception in my uBlock Origin and allow pop-ups.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I had to allow pop-ups on the itch.io site - the google site just had the usual 'unscanned' warning.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Welcome to the forum Danta.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to space stations, I like em to look like one from the outside although you could maybe get away with a mini looking Death Star with a load of advertising signs on it and a docking tunnel that takes you into the interior with the holographic sky and water.

A another example which comes to mind is the station from the last Star Trek film which had the long tube  then the station arear if IRC.

Will you be able to get out on the planets surface? 

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

@dante

Hi Dante, actually I do have some questions, but let me backtrack a bit. I'm downloading the game now as I write and have not encountered any difficulties doing so. 

Your game is in a "finished" state I gather? (Though you will be updating as needed)

Also from your post, I understand you haven't really gotten much exposure, you have your own website, but a quick search brings up very little on this game and there are no reviews.

Well Dante, how comfortable are you with the state of the game? I would love to devote a week or two to it and then do a "light" review right here at SSC. After that, and depending on the state of the game, I might be able to get a more proper review posted on eXplorminate where I'm a contributor from time to time. 

Sound good?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @dante

@gaius-konstantine Hey! Thanks a lot!! I wrote a big post for you, somehow they're are awaiting moderation. Do you have a mail?

Can't see anything and you should not need any post moderated?. 

edit found it seems thing have changed again.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Pinback

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @pinback

Lol. Seems like you guys are playing whack-a-mole at times with the forum.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Hey! Thanks a lot!! I wrote a big post for you, somehow they're are awaiting moderation. Do you have a mail?

Hi Dante, I sent you a PM with my e-mail, let me know that you have it and you can contact me there direct, I would love to learn more about the game and you, it would aid me in getting some good articles together. I'm a fan of indie devs and they just don't get the exposure they deserve at times. Somewhere out there is the Robert Rodriguez of the gaming world, and I wont rest until I find him/her.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

Lol. Seems like you guys are playing whack-a-mole at times with the forum.

It's all D1 doing, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. 🤣 

Dante take at look solcommand site for some free models https://www.solcommand.com/ he used to post on the forums but we have not heard from him in long time.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Pinback

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

@dante

Ok Dante, Pinback has resurrected your post, that's some valuable information in there. I think a review is not right then, I will start with a preview first, and if you're up to it, I would like to follow that up with an interview sometime later. That will give you at least two articles to help get the word out. 

P.S.

Send me an e-mail when you have a chance, and I will also forward some easy and free suggestions to you about marketing

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

It's all D1 doing, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

<sniggers>

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Just showing off how a solcommand model looks. This model is this one https://www.solcommand.com/2013/09/sam-carter-construction-ship.html

construction

Hands make it a bit problematic for real use, specially for landing. But might be cool as an NPC ship. Looks very cool!

Looking good 😎 Dante 

I had forgotten that they don't have any textures, but they could always be used as place holder until you find something else.

IIRC I think you might be able to import them into Blender and cut the arms off, or you could just have them in an asteroid field doing some mining or moving cargo pods around a station.

Speaking of Blender it maybe worth a post on the blender forums asking for model contributions  and you could also try scifi meshes.

You could also drop Space game junkie an email https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/ for a bit more exposure.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

You could also drop Space game junkie an email > https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/ < for a bit more exposure.

This is good advice @dante but I'm going to add some qualifiers. 

First impressions are extremely important, and today in our society of instant gratification you seldom get second chances. 

Before reaching out, make certain that what you have already is highly polished, look at everything and make sure you are confident and happy with what will form a first opinion for anyone you contact. Even the name plays a role today, it shouldn't but it does, I've seen games get hammered on something this silly, and with today's herd mentality, once the negatives start coming out, they sometime gain a life of their own.

Pinback has given you very good advice, and you certainly will need to reach out to them, just make sure that everything is as much in your favor as possible before doing so. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Even the name plays a role today, it shouldn't but it does...

Aye, true enough. Mind you, there are some strange names out there (Limit Theory comes to mind).

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @cody

Even the name plays a role today, it shouldn't but it does...

Aye, true enough. Mind you, there are some strange names out there (Limit Theory comes to mind).

Limit Theory a good example of how "NOT" to do it.

Good point from Gaius about making sure any youtuber you approach understand that the game is a pre Alpha demo.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

I would say the use of fuel and the ability to jump to a star system within range  it's not that I'm against jumpgates it's just that no game has ever done them right, IIRC only Starpoint Gemini 2 has came close.

Radar in the cockpit, seems a lot of newer games are going with coloured boxes.

Match target speed key when in combat and a leading target reticule.

Starmaps access from within the game and not going to a the esc key menu then back into the game, just breaks the immersion.

My favourite one is the ability to get off the ship and walk about on a planet or station as I want to be a ships captain not a starship.

Probably got some more but can't think of them at the moment.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Starmaps access from within the game...

This! I can spend a lot of in-game time perusing starcharts, plotting routes and getting to know the neighbourhood.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

@pinback

-Match enemy's speed seems a really cool idea!

Old idea from Wing commander and other 90s space shooter but seams to have fallen out of favour with the newer games, although I think it was used in rebel galaxy 2.

As you say you need player to do thing when they are aboard ship and I suggest you have a look at Sundogs Shunt in the video below, basically it's substitute for a component which has been destroyed, not as good as the proper component but enough to restore some power to a system.

This idea could be expanded upon for engines, shields, life support, navigation computer ect. 

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Jump range is something I'm considering since I wanted to make something a bit more original, but removing it makes the distance sound cheap. Am still thinking of an alternative

This would work well if you modeled it on Battlestar Galactica. Each ship, depending on the quality of its drive, would be allowed to jump a number of light years distance. The better the jump drive, the more systems in range. A small cool-down could also be implemented, this way jumpimg into unknown territory could lead to some tense moments

ReplyQuote