Notifications
Clear all

Also get access to over 60 free games in their trove of games, get 20 precent off all purchases and you can stop the subscription at anytime and keep all the games

Materia Ex Vita  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Moderator
June 22, 2020 06:28  

Know idea what the title means but it's a space sim with seamless planet landings and walking about on the surface and ship boarding and their is a demo of the game on their itch.io page  https://dante2001.itch.io/mev could not get it to download for me but their is a tutorial on their YouTube page, posted below 

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
June 22, 2020 18:14  

<dredges up schoolboy Latin from fifty years ago>

Something like Matter from Life (or Matter out of Life) - but the devs probably intend a different meaning.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
June 22, 2020 21:01  

Looks interesting, good start so far. Hope development continues.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
June 23, 2020 06:35  

Let hope they keep going as I like the look of the game although not keen on the space station which looks like a planet.

ReplyQuote
Dante
(@dante)
Petty Officer Registered
June 23, 2020 10:42  

OMG! I'm the dev! First time I see a forum discuss my game ever!!

If you've got any questions just ask guys. I'm the only dev and I code it on my free times.

What problems did you have downloading it? I see lots of downloads but very few people manage to register or login. I think there's something am failing at.

I also appreciate all the feedback! (taking notes what pinback said 'bout the space stations)

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
June 23, 2020 11:21  

Welcome to SSC, amigo!

Downloaded here okay (1.5GB), but I had to make an exception in my uBlock Origin and allow pop-ups.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Dante
(@dante)
Petty Officer Registered
June 23, 2020 11:55  

@cody Hi! Thanks for the welcome 😀

Regarding the pop up.. that's weird since its on Google Drive. I'll check that out tho.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
June 23, 2020 12:04  

I had to allow pop-ups on the itch.io site - the google site just had the usual 'unscanned' warning.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
June 23, 2020 12:41  

Welcome to the forum Danta.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to space stations, I like em to look like one from the outside although you could maybe get away with a mini looking Death Star with a load of advertising signs on it and a docking tunnel that takes you into the interior with the holographic sky and water.

A another example which comes to mind is the station from the last Star Trek film which had the long tube  then the station arear if IRC.

Will you be able to get out on the planets surface? 

ReplyQuote
Dante
(@dante)
Petty Officer Registered
June 23, 2020 13:38  

@pinback

Unfortunately I couldn't found good assets for space stations on the outside so I decided to do it like that. Its possible that space stations will change in the future, game is in pre-alpha so models are highly volatile.

I'd need to re-watch the star trek film (really loved the new ones). Thanks for the idea.

Regarding landing on planet's surfaces is something I really want to add in the future, but first want to expand the things to do on spaceships, spacestations and maybe even expand multiplayer (right now you can see other players as signals, but can't interact with them). I HAVE been experimenting with planets tho, as you can see here:

Thanks for the feedback! 😀

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Senior Chief Reporter
June 24, 2020 03:06  

@dante

Hi Dante, actually I do have some questions, but let me backtrack a bit. I'm downloading the game now as I write and have not encountered any difficulties doing so. 

Your game is in a "finished" state I gather? (Though you will be updating as needed)

Also from your post, I understand you haven't really gotten much exposure, you have your own website, but a quick search brings up very little on this game and there are no reviews.

Well Dante, how comfortable are you with the state of the game? I would love to devote a week or two to it and then do a "light" review right here at SSC. After that, and depending on the state of the game, I might be able to get a more proper review posted on eXplorminate where I'm a contributor from time to time. 

Sound good?

Dante liked
ReplyQuote
Dante
(@dante)
Petty Officer Registered
June 24, 2020 09:39  

Hi Gaius! Sounds fantastic!! Here's a rundown:

Game is currently playable tho it's still a pre-alpha. There's little playable time and very few indications, that's why the tutorial videos are important (and that's why its still free). But there's already some stuff to do.

I estimate 1-2 hours of gameplay. I am comfortable with the game but know it still has flaws.

-There're 5 ships in total. 3 are starters and the other 2 are stronger/faster. Ships you buy and you're not using will follow you and may aid you versus pirates. All ships have different interiors. Cockpits are also different, sometimes sharing aspects of the HUD, but visually they're really different.

-So far you can make money by going to lost signals and boarding abandoned spaceships (2 different levels) or on quests (which are go from spacestation X to spacestation Y and talk to an NPC).

-Graphics are really cool (am feeling like a mother telling his son he's the coolest guy ever). I think the only thing really lacking are NPCs.

-You can see other players as signals, but can't interact with them in any other way yet.

-There should be no ground-breaking bugs. You won't die randomly or lose all your stuff like some pre-alpha do.

-My aim is also preserve the server as it is and build on it along with the community. EG: The universe is completely random so I don't know it completely. A player found a space station near a black hole and we had fun naming it Jordan's Eye.

Any kind of exposure will greatly help me since right now I can't afford much of the assets I'd like to add on the game. I could really do with some Patreons, that's why the game is already being marketed (if only just a bit cuz you can only do so much when you're the developer AND the marketing guy).

Thanks in advance! If you've got any doubts just tell me!

ReplyQuote
Dante
(@dante)
Petty Officer Registered
June 24, 2020 09:44  

@gaius-konstantine Hey! Thanks a lot!! I wrote a big post for you, somehow they're are awaiting moderation. Do you have a mail?

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Dante

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
June 24, 2020 11:16  
Posted by: @dante

@gaius-konstantine Hey! Thanks a lot!! I wrote a big post for you, somehow they're are awaiting moderation. Do you have a mail?

Can't see anything and you should not need any post moderated?. 

edit found it seems thing have changed again.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Pinback

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Senior Chief Reporter
June 24, 2020 11:20  
Posted by: @pinback

Lol. Seems like you guys are playing whack-a-mole at times with the forum.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Senior Chief Reporter
June 24, 2020 11:23  

Hey! Thanks a lot!! I wrote a big post for you, somehow they're are awaiting moderation. Do you have a mail?

Hi Dante, I sent you a PM with my e-mail, let me know that you have it and you can contact me there direct, I would love to learn more about the game and you, it would aid me in getting some good articles together. I'm a fan of indie devs and they just don't get the exposure they deserve at times. Somewhere out there is the Robert Rodriguez of the gaming world, and I wont rest until I find him/her.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
June 24, 2020 11:25  
Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

Lol. Seems like you guys are playing whack-a-mole at times with the forum.

It's all D1 doing, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. 🤣 

Dante take at look solcommand site for some free models https://www.solcommand.com/ he used to post on the forums but we have not heard from him in long time.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Pinback

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Senior Chief Reporter
June 24, 2020 11:41  

@dante

Ok Dante, Pinback has resurrected your post, that's some valuable information in there. I think a review is not right then, I will start with a preview first, and if you're up to it, I would like to follow that up with an interview sometime later. That will give you at least two articles to help get the word out. 

P.S.

Send me an e-mail when you have a chance, and I will also forward some easy and free suggestions to you about marketing

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
June 24, 2020 12:35  

It's all D1 doing, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

<sniggers>

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Dante
(@dante)
Petty Officer Registered
June 24, 2020 12:59  

@gaius-konstantine Sounds awesome!

Everything helps! I'll send you an email.

@pinack Thanks for that web. Bookmarked already. I'll check it out after work and see the models 😀

Edit: Peeked a bit the models and they seem incredibly cool! Will see what to do because most of them lack textures, but they look awesome!!

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Dante

ReplyQuote
Dante
(@dante)
Petty Officer Registered
June 24, 2020 20:06  

Just showing off how a solcommand model looks. This model is this one https://www.solcommand.com/2013/09/sam-carter-construction-ship.html

construction

Hands make it a bit problematic for real use, specially for landing. But might be cool as an NPC ship. Looks very cool!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
June 25, 2020 06:09  

Just showing off how a solcommand model looks. This model is this one https://www.solcommand.com/2013/09/sam-carter-construction-ship.html

construction

Hands make it a bit problematic for real use, specially for landing. But might be cool as an NPC ship. Looks very cool!

Looking good 😎 Dante 

I had forgotten that they don't have any textures, but they could always be used as place holder until you find something else.

IIRC I think you might be able to import them into Blender and cut the arms off, or you could just have them in an asteroid field doing some mining or moving cargo pods around a station.

Speaking of Blender it maybe worth a post on the blender forums asking for model contributions  and you could also try scifi meshes.

You could also drop Space game junkie an email https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/ for a bit more exposure.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Pinback

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Senior Chief Reporter
June 25, 2020 11:30  

You could also drop Space game junkie an email > https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/ < for a bit more exposure.

This is good advice @dante but I'm going to add some qualifiers. 

First impressions are extremely important, and today in our society of instant gratification you seldom get second chances. 

Before reaching out, make certain that what you have already is highly polished, look at everything and make sure you are confident and happy with what will form a first opinion for anyone you contact. Even the name plays a role today, it shouldn't but it does, I've seen games get hammered on something this silly, and with today's herd mentality, once the negatives start coming out, they sometime gain a life of their own.

Pinback has given you very good advice, and you certainly will need to reach out to them, just make sure that everything is as much in your favor as possible before doing so. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
June 25, 2020 12:23  

Even the name plays a role today, it shouldn't but it does...

Aye, true enough. Mind you, there are some strange names out there (Limit Theory comes to mind).

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
June 26, 2020 04:06  
Posted by: @cody

Even the name plays a role today, it shouldn't but it does...

Aye, true enough. Mind you, there are some strange names out there (Limit Theory comes to mind).

Limit Theory a good example of how "NOT" to do it.

Good point from Gaius about making sure any youtuber you approach understand that the game is a pre Alpha demo.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: