Notifications
Clear all

Also get access to over 60 free games in their trove of games, get 20 precent off all purchases and you can stop the subscription at anytime and keep all the games

Materia Ex Vita  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Dante
(@dante)
Petty Officer Registered
June 27, 2020 16:53  

Yes, everytime i approach people I tell them that its playable but still green.

What features do you guys appreciate the most on space sims? Which one is your favorite?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Moderator
June 28, 2020 08:36  

I would say the use of fuel and the ability to jump to a star system within range  it's not that I'm against jumpgates it's just that no game has ever done them right, IIRC only Starpoint Gemini 2 has came close.

Radar in the cockpit, seems a lot of newer games are going with coloured boxes.

Match target speed key when in combat and a leading target reticule.

Starmaps access from within the game and not going to a the esc key menu then back into the game, just breaks the immersion.

My favourite one is the ability to get off the ship and walk about on a planet or station as I want to be a ships captain not a starship.

Probably got some more but can't think of them at the moment.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Pinback

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
June 28, 2020 09:04  
Posted by: @pinback

Starmaps access from within the game...

This! I can spend a lot of in-game time perusing starcharts, plotting routes and getting to know the neighbourhood.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Dante
(@dante)
Petty Officer Registered
June 29, 2020 08:19  

@pinback

Yes. Right now the starmap is in the space ship but not integrated in the cockpit. You must go to the main computer to plot it and then go to the cockpit to initiate FTL. I want people to run inside their ship to do stuff and not just get stuck 99% of the time in the cockpit.

-I was thinking also some kind of mineral acquisition from planets and energy gathering from suns to craft things to encourage exploration. This energy gathering will be for the fuel.

-Jump range is something I'm considering since I wanted to make something a bit more original, but removing it makes the distance sound cheap. Am still thinking of an alternative.

-Match enemy's speed seems a really cool idea!

-I already have the ability to walk on space stations. I still need to be able to land on planets. But populating them is gonna be crazy.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Moderator
June 29, 2020 10:47  
Posted by: @dante

@pinback

-Match enemy's speed seems a really cool idea!

Old idea from Wing commander and other 90s space shooter but seams to have fallen out of favour with the newer games, although I think it was used in rebel galaxy 2.

As you say you need player to do thing when they are aboard ship and I suggest you have a look at Sundogs Shunt in the video below, basically it's substitute for a component which has been destroyed, not as good as the proper component but enough to restore some power to a system.

This idea could be expanded upon for engines, shields, life support, navigation computer ect. 

ReplyQuote
Dante
(@dante)
Petty Officer Registered
June 29, 2020 11:21  

Interesting. I could allow the user to fix or maintain certain modules.

I was even theorizing a sort of "Dead mode". Make the core of the ship invulnerable but without weapons, slow and low mass (to avoid ramming others). Sort of like World of Warcraft where you die and are in ghost mode. You'd then go to a star to gather energy and repair yourself to a barely-able state and full repair yourself on stations or by crafting several things. Its a bit on the air and am testing it now, but the idea is to treat your ship as your house.

Another thing I was thinking were interior-automated defenses. So when someone tries to teleport inside your ship you've got the homeland advantage. This'd imply though, random NPCs trying to kill you inside your ship and smaller ships have barely enough space where the cockpit is just near the entry point of invaders.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Senior Chief Reporter
June 30, 2020 11:30  
Posted by: @dante

Jump range is something I'm considering since I wanted to make something a bit more original, but removing it makes the distance sound cheap. Am still thinking of an alternative

This would work well if you modeled it on Battlestar Galactica. Each ship, depending on the quality of its drive, would be allowed to jump a number of light years distance. The better the jump drive, the more systems in range. A small cool-down could also be implemented, this way jumpimg into unknown territory could lead to some tense moments

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: