Notifications
Clear all

Save Homeworld

Page 1 / 2

LeeCrystal
(@leecrystal)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Help put the Homeworld franchise back in the hands of gamers.

Save Homeworld from bankruptcy and fund Homeworld 3 and Homeworld Classic on Touch Devices!

Visit the campaign at http://SaveHomeworld.com/

[media]

[/media]

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Another one, seems like they are starting to flog a dead horse with this now.

ReplyQuote
LeeCrystal
(@leecrystal)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I disagree.

I loved these 3D space combat games a would welcome a new fresh version of it.

There were lots of cool mods made for this game. Star Trek many versions, Battlestar Galactica, just to name a few.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I am all tapped out with kickstarter now or I would pledge, but I do hope they get their funding. The Homeworld series was very cool.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Thought the first was a indiegogo fundraiser. I don't believe they made it then, I think this will be tough to fund because even though people would probably want a Homeworld 3 they are unsure of its quality of the developer behind the job and really the high expectations from the previous two games. This whole thing is really dependent on teamPixel's ability to get the rights to Homeworld IP after all it will be going up for auction if it hasn't already and who knows what it will go for.

ReplyQuote
LeeCrystal
(@leecrystal)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I am all tapped out with kickstarter now or I would pledge, but I do hope they get their funding. The Homeworld series was very cool.

If nothing else, just pass the word.

ReplyQuote
LeeCrystal
(@leecrystal)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thought the first was a indiegogo fundraiser. I don't believe they made it then, I think this will be tough to fund because even though people would probably want a Homeworld 3 they are unsure of its quality of the developer behind the job and really the high expectations from the previous two games. This whole thing is really dependent on teamPixel's ability to get the rights to Homeworld IP after all it will be going up for auction if it hasn't already and who knows what it will go for.

They got a good enough responce from the original fundrasier and more time so they started again. The date to auction off the Homeworld rights has been delayed, giving them more time to take a shot at this.

They said they would use what they had and give it a try even if they don't get 50k.

So far from both rasies thet have over 32k.

Your right about the question about the developers, it might hurt them being not well know.

ReplyQuote
LeeCrystal
(@leecrystal)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Just about 3k short and 3 days to go!

BTW In there last update they share how to get the old games to work on windows 7.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

It's good they are getting close and I would hope this funding and any private funding they may have can secure the rights to the IP. Would be nice to see homeworld 1&2 get some tweaks and re-released to run on native Win7 and of course a new game. I wouldn't mind a tablet release but its not high on my want list.

ReplyQuote
LeeCrystal
(@leecrystal)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Ever since I discovered this I've been looking for more info and found a lot of negative feedback. Ranging  from claims of fraud to they just didn't want this group to make H3.

Shame really, so many of them want H3 and yet they don't want anyone else to do it  unless the Origial folks are.

Even if they get the $ they still need to get the rights before any work gets done.

So far with 52 hours left  they have $49,328...

ReplyQuote
LeeCrystal
(@leecrystal)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

50 hours left and...

It's in the Hole!!!!!

Bill Murray- Caddyshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch…

$50,049

ReplyQuote
shadmar
(@shadmar)
Warrant Officer Registered

Nice 🙂

I always liked Homeworld.

ReplyQuote
True
 True
(@true)
Master Chief Registered

Good to see that this gets funded.

Sure buy on release!

ReplyQuote
LeeCrystal
(@leecrystal)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  
$53,712

pledged of $50,000 goal

29 hours to go

Now we will see if they get the IP and can make the game.

ReplyQuote
Hypnotron
(@hypnotron)
Petty Officer Registered

Am I correct in that these guys (teamPixel) do NOT currently own any license to create any new Homeworld game or to update and release any existing Homeworld game?

If that is true, giving them money seems like a bad idea. 

You too then can start a campaign to release a Robotech game and hope to raise enough money to purchase a license from Harmony Gold or whoever... or maybe you'll decide to just go globe trotting for a year and see the world courtesy of trusting gamers.

ReplyQuote
LeeCrystal
(@leecrystal)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

You raised a good point.

Yes this money was raised for the purpose of getting the rights and IP to the game.

They plan on releasing touch versions of the games, tweaking them to work on newer PC systems for sale on steam. Then work on H3. If they get enough funding they will consider remastering the old games.

From the campain;

Money-Back Guarantee

What's in it for you? Well, in addition to the rewards listed, we're offering every contributor a refund guarantee: If we are unable to license and produce the project, we will refund your donation. teamPixel will even cover any campaign fees so you don't have to.

Risks and challenges

We've done everything we can to shield contributors from any financial risk in this campaign (See our money-back guarantee above). While teamPixel is already deep in production of gameplay prototypes, Homeworld and its history pose a unique legal landscape which may complicate license acquisitions and access to some legacy Homeworld materials. Subsequently, the degree to which we can execute some of our goals also depends on THQ's legal ability to assign us the rights to do so given that the franchise has been handled by no fewer than 5 separate companies in its history. For example, while one challenge is licensing the right to make future games, we may have to renegotiate with a separate entity regarding reusing older game assets (i.e., due to music licensing, etc.) Rest assured, that we have been as involved as possible in Homeworld's legal situation and will keep fans apprised of any complications and our solutions should they arise.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Just like I thought would happen, they lost the bid to someone else.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/teampix/homeworld-touch-ios-android-and-homeworld-3-pc-mac/posts/456013

Looks like we will see a homeworld inspired game instead and who knows what will come of the Homeworld IP and would be nice to know who owns it now?

ReplyQuote
LeeCrystal
(@leecrystal)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Yelp, to bad they didn't get it, maybe they'll come up with something neat on there on.

However, if someone is putting up that much cash for the game, it might be a big company with some real plans for the IP. I think the results of the auction come out at the end of April, start of May.

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

Gearbox bought the rights

Now, I don't usually swear around here but....

FUCKING. GEARBOX. GOT. THE. HOMEWORLD. RIGHTS.

What the? Randy freaking PITCHFORD got his mitts on it, the same guy who led the studio that butchered ACM.

You watch. They'll make the reboot an FPS or TPS.

And worse? We won't ever see the older games on GoG at all, sadly the only way to get a copy is either eBay or.....illegal means. Ugh, can't they just release the older games on GoG or Desura or Steam? (admittedly, I ain't checked the last two, so...)

Source? http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/22/and-homeworld-went-to-gearbox/

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I wouldn't get too upset yet Celticfang, because Gearbox has done great work with Borderlands and if they listen to the fans and actually play the previous Homeworld games i'm sure they can do it right. With them opening up the forums for input proves that they don't have an idea on how to approach this, but for me its easy... design it like the originals but with fixing any complains the players have had in the past. Just get it near and close to the Homeworld 2 Complex mod and it will be good 🙂

I do really want the ability to buy Homeworld again via digital download, my copies got ruined a while back.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I've still got my 3 originals thank goodness. As to the Gearbox news,................well I guess we will have to wait and see. On a related note, a long time ago when the SSC was on a different server, I uploaded quite a few (now hard to find) HW mods. Thankfully they seem to still be there and are available here

ReplyQuote
LeeCrystal
(@leecrystal)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Seen old copies for sale. Heck I even have 2 copies of H2 myself.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Bit of news about Gearbox plans for Homeworld http://www.incgamers.com/2013/07/gearbox-homeworld-and-homeworld-2-hd-coming

Yup: current plans are to bring both Homeworld and Homeworld 2 to various digital platforms (with Steam being name-dropped, obviously). Happily, both games will be getting HD updates, upgrading the ships and making everything look slightly more spiffing than the decade-old games currently do.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

No Cataclysm then? I know that wasnt done by Relic but would love to see that get a HD re-boot too. Also hope they change the AI's fleet scaling for HW2. I felt sometimes you were punished for carefully looking after your ships.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Will be nice to see the facelift the HW games get, wonder if they thought about mod support and in the hopes they don't break all the good mods for these games and its just a gfx/models update.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2