Notifications
Clear all

Space Engineers

Page 2 / 4

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Keen bragging about 500,000 copies sold but they still have not fixed the invisible tiles. http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/space-engineers---500000-copies-sold.html

We are happy to announce that Space Engineers has sold more than 500,000 copies on Steam Early Access. Driven by the community’s word of mouth, an incredibly passionate fan base, and the creativity of its many players, Space Engineers has become one of the most popular games on Steam lately.

“We are very excited to celebrate this milestone with our fans, whose encouragement and active participation made this possible,” said Marek Rosa, CEO and Founder, Keen Software House. “As an independent developer, finding an audience of this size, with this kind of support for our game – even while the product is still in development – is incredibly inspiring. The fans, with their limitless ideas and passion, continue to push us to improve, add features, and develop innovations that our community deserves.”

As an “Early Access” game, Space Engineers remains in development, and takes feedback and suggestions from the community of players to further improve and expand the game. The development team is now focusing on optimizing and improving the multiplayer performance and implementing new features and fixes that will make the gameplay experience even better.

Steam also updated the game with some thing.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Updated but no idea what it was but I bet they have not fixed that invisible tile issue yet.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Space engineers has wheels.

Bet it still go invisible tiles as well.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I recently picked this up, finding the time to download it and try it out is the hard part for me at the moment.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

They seem to be cranking out the updates for it as my weekly "let turn Steam on" always features an update.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Heading for XBox1 http://blog.marekrosa.org/2014/08/space-engineers-for-xbox-one_13.html

First of all, let me assure you that the development of Space Engineers for Xbox One won't affect the PC version.

In the past months, our team has silently grown. We have people who are dedicated to weekly updates, people who work on long-term features, people who work on our super-secret AI project and people who will work on Xbox One port.

On the other side, I must admit that I personally can’t be 100% focused on Space Engineers as I was when we started it. Now, my attention spans over many more areas.  But I believe we have the right people in the team for things to work. If nothing else; the last 6 months are proof that this already works.

We are not abandoning Steam or PC – this is where we started and we will continue here. The PC ecosystem has many advantages, from its openness, community of workshop creators (almost 40,000 creations!), to a starting modding community. Who would want to abandon this?

Porting to Xbox One was a logical choice, especially when you consider how close is the technology to the actual PC/Windows version.

12 months exclusivity relates to consoles only. PC version and possible other ports (eg. Mac, Linux, mobile, tablets) are unaffected by this.

Will the PC version get more console friendly? No. However at this moment it’s hard to predict what UI changes will be required when porting from PC to Xbox, but I doubt we will need to change the PC version because of console version. Why not customize only what’s needed by a target platform? If we won't find a way how to do modding on Xbox One, why would we remove this feature from the PC version? And the same applies to programmable modules and tons of other things.

If you have additional questions on how the Xbox One port will differ from PC version, what will be added, what will be missing, please wait until we get much closer to the release. At this moment, it’s too early to say anything.

Trust me, everything will be good.

Looks like console user will be able to enjoy the invisible tiles as well.

ReplyQuote
Overlord
(@overlord)
Master Chief Registered

I got this a good while back. The frequency of updates is impressive, and not just bug fixes, major game mechanics being added.

However, I'm still waiting for the "point" of the game. They've added survival, which is great, but there's no reason to play it. Minecraft has a the ender dragon, which gives you a goal to work towards.

The only other thing holding it back is the size of the world. I am hoping that one day it will have some sort of open universe. Messing about in a small (in terms of space) sandbox is fun for a while, but being able to go off and explore in a ship is why we choose space in the first place.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

However, I'm still waiting for the "point" of the game. They've added survival, which is great, but there's no reason to play it. Minecraft has a the ender dragon, which gives you a goal to work towards.

That's a good point is their going to be any sort of game or it just a build it and crash it simulator with the standard multiplayer scenarios.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

So is the game worth it so far in general and would you recommend it to people?

I never did buy Miner Wars simply because they changed the direction of the game. Watching the trailers of Space Engineers it looks like the game is moving along nicely. The game itself has a 1.xxx version number but it still says early access, when is it officially releasing?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Not played it for a while as I still have the on going invisible tile issue but it looks like it will only appeal to these that enjoy online gaming.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Another 100 meg update.

Just been having a quick look at the game again and surprise, surprise the invisible tile issue has been fixed.

ReplyQuote
Overlord
(@overlord)
Master Chief Registered

So is the game worth it so far in general and would you recommend it to people?

I never did buy Miner Wars simply because they changed the direction of the game. Watching the trailers of Space Engineers it looks like the game is moving along nicely. The game itself has a 1.xxx version number but it still says early access, when is it officially releasing?

Much like a lot of early access games, release dates are hardly worth taking any notice of. So many are now copying the minecraft dev model.

Would I recommend it? Hmmm... Thats a tricky one. It depends what the player wants.

Overall it works great, its unique and has tons of potential. In that regard, yes. On the other hand it depends where it goes in future. If it remains a sandbox scenario space building and destruction game then no I wouldn't. I can't imagine it will remain like that though, as the survival mode requires a much larger world and timescale. Building a simple ship in survival takes quite a while with all the welding, and that's without having to go mining for the materials and building a refinery and an assembler first. This is also the thing which makes single player survival less appealing.

Starmade, despite being less pretty, proves that open world works with this type of game. If they gave Space Engineers this freedom then it would be a dead cert 100% recommedation. Its something to do with going off and finding your own little corner in space and claiming it as yours, where you can start building stations and ships and defences that other players can come and visit, spy on, attack or steal. When that happens it will be a wonderful game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Another 150 odd meg update.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Bit of a mile stone for Space Engineers as they claim to have sold a million copies of the game. http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/space-engineers-one-million-copies-sold-announcement.html

Dear Fans!

We are proud to announce that Space Engineers has sold over 1,000,000 copies.  As you know, the game was released in October 2013 on Steam Early Access and we are celebrating this important milestone alongside its first year anniversary.

“We feel twice as happy with this achievement since it came on our first year anniversary since Space Engineers was launched to the public. This gives us double reasons to celebrate” said Marek Rosa, CEO and Founder of Keen Software House. “We want to devote this accomplishment to our fans, whose encouragement and active participation made this possible. They have been beside us all along, giving inspiration for new ideas and supporting us with their valuable feedback. It is a great thing to have such an amazing community like ours!”

Space Engineers, one year after it was released on Steam Early Access, has captured the attention of PC gamers around the world. Voted by the players as one of the best Indie games of 2013 (IndieDB Game of The Year Awards) and featuring an incredibly passionate fan base it has become one of the most popular Early Access games on Steam.

Looking to the future, Space Engineers will remain in development for a while longer, focusing on adding new features and bug fixing and also continue taking feedback and suggestions from the community who is helping to further improve and expand the game. Space Engineers is already counting over 50 new updates which are added on a weekly basis, including the recent implementation of the Modding API and the Dedicated Servers.

Best Regards,

Keen Software House

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Space Engineers has a boxed edition out. http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/space-engineers-retail-release-announcement.html

The Retail Version Features a Limited Edition that Includes the Space Engineers Game Together With a Bunch of Extra Content

Prague, Czech Republic (October 31, 2014) – Independent developer Keen Software House announced that their pc-hit space-based sandbox game, Space Engineers, has been released to retail stores this week. The first batch of the retail version will be available in North America through Walmart and Amazon, in South Africa, Australia (exclusively through EB), New Zealand and throughout designated countries in Europe*. The retail version features a Limited Edition that includes Space Engineers, two bonus games from Keen Software House - Miner Wars 2081 and Miner Wars Arena, the official game soundtrack, exclusive art cards, a sticker and heaps of bonus digital content.

“Space Engineers has been growing constantly during its first year and by releasing this special boxed edition we are aiming to introduce the game to a broader audience and give them the chance to try our game” commented Marek Rosa, CEO and Founder of Keen Software House. “Another big reason that makes this release very important is that Space Engineers is one of the very first Early Access games that has made it into retail stores and we believe that starting with our game, players will change their perception about Early Access titles and take them more seriously. In this sense we are somewhat like pioneers that are trying to change the gaming industry!”

Space Engineers is entering its second year in Early Access development and recently celebrated an important milestone of one million copies sold. The game is supported by an enthusiastic community of players who are actively participating in the development by providing feedback and suggestions, and helping to further improve and expand the game.

Had a look this morning but could not see it yet.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Not digging on Space Engineers itself, but Keen Software should have planned 'early access' better, but I guess Elite and Star Citizen are doing it too. But I hate the fact that a lot of these games are in a non-final state for over a year. Crap if I jumped in an played that soon by the time the game released I would be done with it 🙂 Only game I bought that I have played around in early access is Star Citizen and that was only to see if my machine could hang with the gfx. Early access should be no more than 6-12mos at most. But that is just my .02.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

That's a good point maybe developers should restrict early access to a games last 6/12 months of development but the whole early access seems to a bit of a double edged sword for developer, take crowdfunding a lot of  projects would never be able to do that as they require the funding to get started in the first place.

Just looking at my own Kickstarter which I have backed 16 of them were successful in hitting their targets, I think all of them have over run their release dates only one of them has been delivered although another three are close to being finished.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Just seen this on RPS about a new exploration mode in the game http://blog.marekrosa.org/2014/12/space-engineers-exploration-call-for_3.html and adding player created content.

Exploration

The exploration feature will add a practically infinite number of ships and stations to the game world, so there will always be something new to discover, explore, acquire and conquer. You can imagine it like this: you are traveling in some direction and there is an asteroid, so you decide to check it and see if there’s something in its tunnels, in its proximity or on its surface. Or you just fly through empty space and boom, a lost wreck shows near you. Exploration is an upgrade to how cargo ships work.

Not been taken any notice of what they have been upto lately but the game is updated every week with about 100MB patch, so when they add this I will take another look.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Nice Christmas present from Keen in yesterday update.

This is the last update for this year so we decided to make it more special. It includes three very important new features: super-large worlds, procedural asteroids and exploration! With super-large worlds we have increased the size of the world to 1,000,000,000 km in diameter; this means that practically there are no boundaries and you can travel as far as you want without experiencing shaky movements and rotations. The “procedural asteroids” feature adds an infinite number of asteroids to the game world - all these asteroids are fully destructible and don’t consume RAM/memory. The exploration feature adds a practically infinite number of ships and stations to the game world, so there will always be something to discover, explore, acquire and conquer.

More detail in the blog http://blog.marekrosa.org/2014/12/space-engineers-super-large-worlds_17.html and here I was thinking super large worlds were planets when in fact they meant game world size. 😆

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Not posted about SE for a while but it has been getting weekly updates for a while now and this one is one of the more interesting ones.

Oxygen has been added in Space Engineers! This means that now you can take off your character’s helmet, but only inside the medical room. When the character takes off the helmet inside an environment without oxygen, he will receive damage. In addition, you are now able to obtain ice and generate oxygen out of it by using the oxygen generator. Moreover, we’ve implemented the “drain all” option for the sorter block that will push all items trough the block and the "switch" statement for the programmable block.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

This has had loads of updates over the last 6 months and finally they put in some tutorials for the game.

Just had a look at them and can't find the wilder in the first tutorial.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

😆 😆

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks like SE is having a feature freeze and bug hunting more about it on the blog http://blog.marekrosa.org/2015/08/stabilization-period-for-medieval_18.html

Every time I look at SE I get the feeling that the biggest single problem, is that there appears to be no game apart from the building stuff then smashing it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

And they hit 100 updates.

Planets on the way but is there any game in there?.

Screen shot of the planet can be found here http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/update-01-100-drones-pirate-bases-bugfixes-and-planetary-teaser.7368279/

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

They look like they are definitely adding some great planet types to do things and build on, but the videos don't excite me. Is if fun to play?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4