Notifications
Clear all

The Tomorrow War

Page 1 / 2

j3kyll
(@j3kyll)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Ok guys, I thought I would put my two cents about this game. It's russian made. I'll say right from the start, I'm not too fond of the single player game. The in station graphics, voice acting, and character animations are horrible. But, to its credit, the ships, space graphics, particle system are great. The physics are pretty realistic and distances are as well. One thing I particularly like is the fact the you can fly to planets and fly inside its atmosphere on your own and the distances from space to the ground are realistic as well. As I said, single player sucks but it has very good multiplayer and modding potential. Assuming someone wants to take a crack at it. Any input is appreciated.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

First off welcome to SSC j3kyll.

I am hoping to take a crack at it next week sometime when I can get my hands on it. I have to order it since I couldn't find it Best Buy or EB Games. But from the screenshots and some video I would have to say most of your assessment is correct. The quarters/hanger/pub graphics definitely should have been better. i mean for a game that has been in development this long looks like these graphics are 2005. The dialog isn't that great and the voice overs (which I forgive them for) isn't the best but they are Russian developer not english 🙂

I can't say much about the combat yet but I hopefully will post a little article on this next week and I hope to get some thoughts and I will take lots of screenshots and upload them all. I know just looking at the space views and today's offerings I was really hoping for X3, DS1 or SF2 graphics and I don't think the Tomorrow War hits that mark but we'll see.

I compare this game to Evochron Legends because it has the same play style. And single player games are not that bad j3kyll as long as the story is very compelling. If it isn't it needs to have good MP and modding abilities. Is there any mod tools or tutorials for modding TTW so I can get them uploaded or review them?

-D1-

ReplyQuote
j3kyll
(@j3kyll)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Unfortunately, I haven't heard of any sdk to mod this. Then again, I wouldn't even know where to find one since I've never modded a game before 🙂 What I really enjoyed most, was the space scenery. Let me know what you think when you try it out and if it has any modding potential.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Have the game just need to find time to play it, so hopefully in a few weeks I can post a review with some insight and screenshots of the game for everyone. I haven't been hearing too many good things but I will pass judgment after I try it.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

If anyone else is considering getting this game, please save your money. Even at bargain bin prices it's a rip-off. I paid £10 and felt I'd wasted my money. As mentioned in j3kyll's post the single-player game features some of the most horrible voice-acting and animation I have ever had the misfortune to come across. And what's in the game isn't good enough to overcome that; even the much-touted planetary landings seem cheap and don't even come up to the standard of Frontier or First Encounters.

Evochron is a far better game because the things it sets out to do, it achieves. The same cannot be said for the Tomorrow War.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I did listen to the cutscenes and the voices were pretty bad 🙂 I will play the game and give some more feedback but the feedback so far may shorten my play time if I feel it isn't worth playing. But I will do my best to struggle through a few hours with the game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Bought a copy of the Tomorrow War on Amazon, did I waste 8.89. 😕

So far I have not played much of the game and I can't say that I found the voice acting that bad but it is very Hollywood English, 😆 have found a great asteroid belt although it is Saturns ring belt you can fly through.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Why does every one hate this game apart from the hilarious comedy English accent which all sound like they are done by one guy 😆 😆 and every time you talk to some one it looks likes a really badly dub foreign film where the mouth continues to move but the dialogue has stopped, 😆 its not that bad.

Its can be a bit confusing as too what to do, mind I'm only mission 5 so maybe theirs worst to come. ❓

So far I would say my only gripes with the game are, thats it not to clear what you supposed to be doing and that it seems a little to easy to play and that you can't go off wondering around.

Do like the size of the planets in game, wouldn't say there was much detail on then apart from some trees when you get down to ground level and the heat shield glowing as you go in and out of the atmosphere a nice touch.

HEATSHILD2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

The voice acting in this game just gets funnier and funnier 😆 beware the Welshman in space. 😆

I just been court-martialled and throw out of the war didn'tsee that one coming.

Now flying a mining ship and trying to land on 5 asteroids, like the asteroid scanner idea. 😎

SCANNER.jpg

Still can't go off exploring as the game will just end which is a real pig when a game gives you a playground then stops you from doing anything in it. 👿

Why is it that all theses alien world have earth like trees on them, is there some crazed interstellar gardener running around planting them. 🙄

TREES.jpg

ReplyQuote
SGDominator
(@sgdominator)
Petty Officer Registered

PINBACK wrote:
Still can’t go off exploring as the game will just end which is a real pig when a game gives you a playground then stops you from doing anything in it.

Actually you can go off exploring if you mod the game, which is very easy to mod because it is made up of many text files. If people would start modding it, it could become a decent game. For example, I have already modded the opening part of the game were you and your crew mate just wake up from sleep. These are some of the things I have modded in:

1. You can determine when you will take on the missions

2. Created dialogs boxes that let you speak to the flight deck officer to determine when you will take off

3. You can take off before you take on the mission and explore, even landing on Titan

4. You do not die by taking too much time

5. Have added two new nav points to gates to fly to

6. Have made corrections to the text

7. After exploring you can dock back onto the ship

I think there might even be the potential to turn it into a trading game because there is a point in the game where you talk to someone who has things to sell and talks about jobs, but I have not progressed beyond that.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Actually you can go off exploring if you mod the game, which is very easy to mod because it is made up of many text files. If people would start modding it, it could become a decent game. For example, I have already modded the opening part of the game were you and your crew mate just wake up from sleep. These are some of the things I have modded in:

1. You can determine when you will take on the missions
2. Created dialogs boxes that let you speak to the flight deck officer to determine when you will take off
3. You can take off before you take on the mission and explore, even landing on Titan
4. You do not die by taking too much time
5. Have added two new nav points to gates to fly to
6. Have made corrections to the text
7. After exploring you can dock back onto the ship

Excellent SGDominitor 😎 have you uploaded the mod to SSC or can you explain what changes you made to the files as I would like to give it a try after finishing the normal game.

I think there might even be the potential to turn it into a trading game because there is a point in the game where you talk to someone who has things to sell and talks about jobs, but I have not progressed beyond that.

Yes That's the barman around about mission 6.

I thought the game was going to open up but it seems to be just info he selling.

BARMAN.jpg

Been on a mission to test a new prototype fighter put a few dents in my peice of iron but fortunately no one said anything about when I got back.

DENTS.jpg

Co pilot not said much maybe he dead. 😕

COPILOT-1.jpg

😯 😯 OH MY GOD IT'S A SPACE TRANSVESTITE 😆 😆

SPACETV2.jpg

ReplyQuote
SGDominator
(@sgdominator)
Petty Officer Registered

PINBACK wrote:

Excellent SGDominitor 😎 have you uploaded the mod to SSC or can you explain what changes you made to the files as I would like to give it a try after finishing the normal game.

Have not yet, after leaving the last forum post looked at the files I used to changed the game and it amounts to about 32 megs. of data. If this site can handle the upload I will post. What I think I am going to do is use the Game Enabler mentioned on this site in another post so you can use the mod with automatic backup. First I have to test the enabler to see if it will work. I should because I use it with Starpoint Gemini and it works fine. After that, if the enabler works, I will compress it to see what is the smallest size I can get it at, then if allowable, upload it.

Even though the guy is maybe just selling things in that mission, with modding we might be able to change it into a buying/selling thing. Believe me the game is Really easy to mod, take a look at some of the files, even though they have an extension of .g3c they are really just text files with variables, function calls and if statements, etc.... I am hoping that later on in the game he is just not a seller but also a buyer and there is some kind of trading, we will see.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Don't think there would be a problem with uploading 31 meg if in doubt about it pm D1.

Good idea about using that Game Enabler.

Had a quick troll through the Elite games forum last night, couldn't find much about TW but I'm sure there will be something about it on the forum just a question of finding where it is. What I did find was a link to another Russian forum with some tool, mostly to do with the graphic and a script editor I've not downloaded anything yet so they might not be there.

Note you will need to use Google translate.

http://www.zvworld.ru/forums/

Part with the tool in it I think.

http://zvworld.ru/forums/index.php?s=9c ... owforum=11

This game gets weirder there a talking tiger in it now, but the voice acting is as hilarious as ever. Which is a shame because the story is pretty good and if the voice acting had been done a lot better, it would have added a lot more dramatic impact to the cut scenes.

Real shame the deves did not follow the same game design as something like Tachyon or Colony Wars Red Sun where each of the stations had it own set of sub missions to do as well as the main quest. It would have added a lot more playability to the game.

If in doubt RUNAWAY
runningaway.jpg

Auto pilot in an asteroid field, hair raising experience.

auto.jpg

Looks a bit like Mars.
lokkslikemars.jpg

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I'm really enjoying the story line in the game got quiet a number of twist and turns to it. 😀 and a number of bug 😥

Just got past the damn race mission and now theirs a stupid alien football mission where you have to shoot the ball with you laser and guess what--- yup my ship got no laser 👿

Why the hell do developer put these missions in can't they think of anything else. ❓

HELLO what do we here then----by the way don't talk to the bar droid here as it crashes the game.

HELLO.jpg

EEEK SUPERNOVA

SUPERNOVER.jpg

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

I'm still fighting with the zorich authors to have kactor K unofficially translated...Has anyone here tried factor K and is russian/english fluent?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Quote:

After that, if the enabler works, I will compress it to see what is the smallest size I can get it at, then if allowable, upload it.

Let me get a Tomorrow War download area created for the game this way we can get some of these mods in one place. If people have a listing of any mods that should be in here just let me know about them and I will upload them. I will checkout Tomorrow War forums and do some uploading and if you need any large files uploaded and yours times out let me know and I will get it on the server (ie FTP).

Created the download area here: downloads.php?cat=57

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I wouldn't mind playing Factor k, see if they improved it any over TW but I would guess getting hold of a copy would be next to impossible.

Managed to get passed that idiot football mission and get myself a new alien fighter. 😀

alienship.jpg

I really wish they had put a enemy shield indicator on the hud and match speed key, strange thing about this game is the combat which can be very easy as long as you don't get too close to the enemies fighters. As your little AI buddies are pretty good at fighting and will often complete some of the task by themselves.

Some might see this as a negative point but I think it makes game universe seem more alive as it not just down to you do to every thing as is the case with so many of these games.

On a negative point about the game is that it could have greatly benefited from a branching story line although the story is very good, it is very linear and any failure of a task will usually mean a reload of the last save position.

Small city.
city.jpg

Nice one D1 apart from that Russian forum I posted about on the over page maybe we can find some more tools and mods for it

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Theirs some strange mission in this game, I just started one where you have to rescue some ballerina.

At last I get bomb a city well the space port

city2.jpg

Don't think I will be getting a drink. 😆

bardroid.jpg

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Mission 28 land on a sub to resupply it with missiles and this transport flies like a pig. 😡

sub.jpg

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Managed to finally land on that sub where upon you are attacked, I just could not be bothered to do anything and just let my little AI pals finish them off. Task complete. 😀

SUB2.jpg

Everyone land.

LADINGIN.jpg

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Well seem to have come to an end with the Tomorrow War as I cant get past mission 33, think I am taking too long to do it. ❓

Pretty good story if you can ignore the comedy accents but way too linear and very frustrating to play I just keep wanting to go off and explore the planets.

ReplyQuote
Voiddweller
(@voiddweller)
Crewman Registered

Weird game... sometimes beautiful, when you fly trough the Saturn rings or watching sunset in alien world, and sometimes boring, when you watching those creepy, poorly animated cutscenes, and ridiculously slow in combat...

Wonder if it can be modded to something like Freelancer 🙂

Stardreamer wrote:

Evochron is a far better game because the things it sets out to do, it achieves. The same cannot be said for the Tomorrow War.

No way Evochron is better, because it looks like ancient Frontier: First Encounters with DX9 and shaders. TTW is a storyline, mission-based game, so Evochron is totally different game at all, but plaanet landing and landscapes done waaaay better in TTW.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Voiddweller wrote:

No way Evochron is better, because it looks like ancient Frontier: First Encounters with DX9 and shaders. TTW is a storyline, mission-based game, so Evochron is totally different game at all, but plaanet landing and landscapes done waaaay better in TTW.

I would agree with there Tomorrow war might be getting on for 5 years old now but it still beats the pants off any of the Evochron games in the graphic dept.

ReplyQuote
starlord
(@starlord)
Master Chief Registered

Speaking of which, I at last have recieved the factor K russian script from the zorich authors in the form of a 200 page word file... Might anyone here wish to help out and contribute for the russian to english translation? Once this is done, it could be possible to MOD factor K using a patch and then subtitle the game in english, ending the tomorrow war saga and making it available to us.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Is it a word doc can it be run through a online translation program. ❓

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2