(@chaosavy)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  
Hey guys!

Hey guys - have some exiting news.

EDIT:

New Trailer:

Void Destroyer 2 announcement/reveal trailer:

Void Destroyer 2 is a space sandbox - inspired by the greats, but with unique elements. One of which is the combination of direct flight and RTS fleet control. 

You'll work your way up from the bottom, eventually leading your fleet to dominance.

Links:

Some screen shots:

SpaceSandbox-small.gif

EpicDogfights-small.gif

StartWithBasicShip-small.gif

Let me know your thoughts/feedback/etc - especially on the new art style.

Also if you know someone that might be interested - it would be greatly helpful if you pointed them at this post - or made your own.

thanks!

Paul

MV2000
(@mv2000)
Warrant Officer Registered

So the sequel will be a fully fledged sandbox now? Me like.

As for the "art style" I remember VD has an option to let you to adjust the look of the cel shading. I hope there's an option to disable/reduce that background/skybox interface filter, it makes everything looks as if they're happening in a single VR environment.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Alright quick explanation, I move Paul's thread to this forum and MV2000 post and locked my old thread.

Yes the art style is a bit different to the last game and my only criticism would be to make the skybox one colour only and as MV2000 said it does make look like a VR simulation.

Is there going to be a PayPal option at some point, ie for these of us who don't have a credit card.

ReplyQuote
chaosavy
(@chaosavy)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Yep - fully fledged sandbox 🙂

There will be an option to disable the "sky sphere thingie" - the grid that's in front of the skybox. It will be expanded on to be more of a navigation aid (its goal) - plus I think it looks cool.

This is probably a tiny bit of a spoiler - but really its the player character's backstory:

VR simulation - the player character might not be 100% human - anymore. If you remember in the original game the "Stubs" faction of memory wiped mercs. People who - when in debt or in trouble serious enough sold themselves into service - because that was the best alternative. That's one explanation for the art style and VR look 🙂

No pay pal - its too much to manage - a handful of backers via pay pal, versus KS backers who have a whole platform built around backing (plus tax reporting stuff etc).

Thanks again for being such a welcoming community - most places my posts get ignored or worse yet nuked. Its almost easier to make a game than to let people know about it!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Sorry Chaosavy I didn't even get on a PC yesterday after I got home... then when I got back from the gym my old ass went to bed 🙂

I posted the kickstarter on the mainpage.

It probably makes things a whole lot easier using the same framework and most of the assets from the first game to speed up development. I mean Q1 2016 alpha, thats pretty fast for what you are adding to VD2. Will the alpha have the early sandbox at that point or will it be added during development?

Like for everyone if you want your own forum for the Void Destroyer series (kinda like that...) just say the word. This way when you post news it will get put to the mainpage for all to see. Plus you can then post as much as you like, too keep you busy when your not coding or answering your own posts on your forum 🙂

Good luck on the KS, your already 20% there so I would think it would be successful.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

No pay pal - its too much to manage - a handful of backers via pay pal, versus KS backers who have a whole platform built around backing (plus tax reporting stuff etc).

Understandable, will the game be available through GamerGate and GOG after the Kickstarter.

New update.

ReplyQuote
chaosavy
(@chaosavy)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

GamerGate - GoG -

Well GoG denied Void Destroyer for their store - said it was too niche.

Humble Store should be a good bet though.

New Update:

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered

Heh GOG, pretty lame of them..  wtf is "too niche"?! 3d space combat RTS is niche? Homeworld hello?!

ReplyQuote
chaosavy
(@chaosavy)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

hehe - I think it was their nice way of saying - that I'm too niche (not enough sales).

ReplyQuote
xeoncat
(@xeoncat)
Petty Officer Registered

Interesting, I assumed the graphics were placeholders for the final art. Anyway, if you make the blue skybox as dark as the one in the tactical map, the ships colors will stand out more, and probably will be more pleasing to the eye

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

GamerGate - GoG -

Humble Store should be a good bet though.

Humble a possibility but they do seem to have weird policy about sending Steam keys out.

What's they starmap  going to be like Chaosavy, 2D or 3D

ReplyQuote
chaosavy
(@chaosavy)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

The star map is 2D - simplifies a lot of stuff.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

New update from Paul.

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered

Good luck with the KS!

But I fear Star Citizen has sucked all the crowd funding money from the space genre games..

Even the Descent reboot *barely* got their funding.

Amazing to see 2014, Star Citizen out-funded every game combined. O_o

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/256437/Report_Last_year_Star_Citizen_outearned_all_video_game_Kickstarters_combined.php

ReplyQuote
chaosavy
(@chaosavy)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks.

That may be the case - all the people are thinking - "I already backed Star Citizen... and it will full fill all my dreams!"

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nah Star Citizen won't fur-fill every ones dreams and it's an online only game which will put many off it.

ReplyQuote
Halfgeek
(@halfgeek)
Petty Officer Registered

Nah Star Citizen won't fur-fill every ones dreams and it's an online only game which will put many off it.

SQ42 is a single player standalone, like Wing Commander 3/4 with a real big star cast. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Chaosnavy, I gave your kickstarter a wee bump on the Frontier Forum, (as well as other places...) hope it helps and good luck!

And oh, I've backed it also.

ReplyQuote
chaosavy
(@chaosavy)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

That's awesome!

Thanks - greatly appreciated.

It seems that crowd funding has changed a bit since my first time around. Much harder this time - I was a bit aware of this hence why the goal is smaller and my commitment to self fund the biggest chunk - but honestly I didn't think that it changed that much.

There's also the possibility that October is bad - but November/Dec are even worse.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

New update.

Love the moving bits on the ships and why I'm thinking Babylon5 when I watch the videos. 😎

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Nothing wrong with a bit Babylon 5 .

ReplyQuote
chaosavy
(@chaosavy)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hehe - my artist swears that he didn't intend to make a star fury... but here we are.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Hehe - my artist swears that he didn't intend to make a star fury... but here we are.

Well it is one of the best designed scfi ships and IIRC even NASA has taken an interest in the Star Fury design.

Tie Fighter cockpit. 😎

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Another video update.

Looks like it needs a bit of boost, maybe focusing too much on the technical side of making the game and not enough on the gameplay side.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Near the 4 and half grand mark and still has 7 days to run til the end of the Kickstarter.

And SGJ has a podcast with Paul. http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/featured/sgj-podcast-128-void-destroyer-2/

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3