Notifications
Clear all

What Space MMOG are you look forward to most?

Page 1 / 2

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Hey Everyone

There are some pretty nice Space MMO's coming soon this year and early next year or just recently released. Which game do you want to play the most and why?

For me the toss up is between The Black Prophecy and Jumpgate Evolution. I have been following both and the guys at Reakktor emailed me back on Black Prophecy info and told me I will like what is coming soon (new website launch etc...).

-D1-

Anonymous

JGE gets my vote. I think it will have the scope of EVE Online with the twitch style game play of FL.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

is elite topmost or are most gamers only common with elite?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

🙂 Or maybe most of the gamers don't really know of the rest of the games and see Elite 4 and pick that one. Remember Elite 4 hasn't been officially announced yet.... 🙂

ReplyQuote
Empyrean
(@empyrean)
Petty Officer Registered

The one I'd love to play is X-Online (or X2 Online 🙂 ). Egosoft already has a quite big and wonderful community, the game is great (IMHO), etc etc.

But since there hasn't been any progress there (AFAIK), I'll have to choose between JGE and BP. The one that will have the best economics will get my subscription fee 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Iam going to go with Infinity,as no one know what Elite will be.And Infinity the only MMO that interest me.

ReplyQuote
Shingen
(@shingen)
Master Chief Registered

That Vendetta is a pretty kewl little space-sim, but it wasn't in your poll options. You guys should check it out.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Shingen wrote:
That Vendetta is a pretty kewl little space-sim, but it wasn't in your poll options. You guys should check it out.

When I made the poll Vendetta Online was already out, the poll was based off of games coming soon.

ReplyQuote
cultist
(@cultist)
Master Chief Registered

Infinity 😀

ReplyQuote
Sikgamer
(@sikgamer)
Crewman Registered

I voted Infinity, even though it's probably going to be vaporware 🙂

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Infinity for me 😉

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

heh Infinity and Elite 4 are tied. I have read several comments in the past talking about Elite 4 and all of them were hinting toward a MMO style of game. And this is where I am wondering if Frontier Developments is really looking at all the offerings from other development houses and seeing if there is really a market for Elite 4 to make money?

The reason I say this, is unless Elite 4 is farther along in development than we know of there is a lot of games coming out that will in essence flood the market with space gaming material. Infinity being a very large project and seems to have a lot of what gamers are looking for in a space MMO game.

And it is very true if Frontier Developments concentrated development on Elite 4 they could probably easily beat Infinity to market. Just something to think on...

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Darkone wrote:

And it is very true if Frontier Developments concentrated development on Elite 4 they could probably easily beat Infinity to market. Just something to think on...

If Elite 4 comes out before Infinity and has any sort of online components,then Infinity dead They do need to get something out this year or next year at the latest.

ReplyQuote
Grykus
(@grykus)
Petty Officer Registered

I voted Infinity mainly because Elite IV hasn't really been confirmed as an MMOG yet, if I remember correctly.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

I had my head telling me to vote for Infinity (as it is "out there"), but in my heart of hearts I had to pick Elite IV. It's a matter of faith now. 🙄 Tell you one thing though guys, Frontier Developments will be watching Infinity very closely. Hopefully it will add to their many incentives to get Elite IV to market. As to why vote for either Infinity or Elite IV, its got to be that massive galaxy model that most appeals to me. Also it's likely I would buy both. Hey wouldn't it be great if you could import the ships between the two games? Just a random thought there! 😳

ReplyQuote
Taymar
(@taymar)
Senior Chief Registered

Lots of 'Old School' spacers have voted on this poll.

While Infinity and Elite 4 both appeal my head and heart say JGE, if it ever comes out, it will be the game to play. I love the X Universe but there's been talk of X-Online for many years now and it's still nowhere to be seen. Having said that the problems Reakktor had until recently and the delays in JGE point towards a lack of urgency when it comes to developing and publishing these types of games.

I won't bang on AGAIN but I still feel like 'Space Gamers' have been shafted for so long now we're looked on as a minority and are ignored simply because we don't have anything new to play with, so we go and play something else while wishing we had some new space toys to play with.

ReplyQuote
Grimloon
(@grimloon)
Petty Officer Registered

I'm still looking forwards to JGE but have to vote for Black Prophecy here. My hope is that it'll cause certain developers to get their arses in gear and do something already! That and the fact that I want to play something new already!

I'd agree that there seems to have been a scarcity of decent space games in the last decade though. The X series is glorious but purely single player, where's our X-Wing vs Tie Fighter for this decade? I missed that one (I was still on dial up at the time) but has there been anything comparable released? I certainly haven't seen it!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Added some more games to the poll but I accidentally reset it. So please vote again.

ReplyQuote
Empyrean
(@empyrean)
Petty Officer Registered

Darkone wrote:
Added some more games to the poll but I accidentally reset it. So please vote again.

Still X2 Online 😀 But the battle between JGE and BP for 2nd place has been decided (listened to a few old podcasts....man, they really thought JGE will go into beta some year ago 😳 )

ReplyQuote
Taymar
(@taymar)
Senior Chief Registered

Thanks for re-setting the vote Darkone.

While I have to stand by JGE, I can totally see the appeal of X:Online, Elite 4 even Infinity. BP I'm still dubious about but I hope to have my mind changed in the coming months.

The last real effort anyone made at massive Space Combat was Lucasarts/Sony with their expansion to SW:Galaxies - Jump to lightspeed and I'll be honest, it failed to impress me in any way, shape or form. The models and flight system seemed half finished and as for the missions, they were just aweful. As Grim has pointed out in one of his threads, we went back to Freelancer for a short while, just after the global server was taken down, we didn't venture too far into MODS or add-ons and stuck to a vanilla server, it was good for a while but it soon wore thin as there were so few other pilots around. We then went further back into my gaming past and we picked up Jumpgate Classic, I BETA tested classic for Net Devil back in the 90's but was soon swept away by various Star Wars titles. I have to be honest and say that I should have stuck with JGC instead of going for the 'Big Brand' of Star Wars.

What I'd really like to see is game developers involving communities, like this one in the development of their games. While I understand you can't please all the people all the time but I find myself getting annoyed by the Blizzard fan boys that have picked up JGE because it's an MMO and they believe they know what makes a good game, perhaps from their perspective having dice rolls and weapon stats makes for a more interesting game but for me it's simply a test of piloting skill and nerve that gets the juices pumping.

I'm sorry this is another 'Wall of Text' moaning about how badly we've been treated . . . It's a subject I could have ranted on about for years.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Still going for Infinity as its the only one that holds any interest for me.assuming

it ever come out.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Still "keeping the faith" for Elite IV. Latest rumours circulating on the Frontier Forum suggest that The Outsider has hit problems with the publisher, Codemasters. So what?, you might think, well Frontier Developments have always maintained that Elite IV will only be done after Outsider is finished, which means more waiting 🙁

ReplyQuote
Taymar
(@taymar)
Senior Chief Registered

There are similar fears for JGE as Net Devil are working on Lego Universe and there's a tight schedule for release on that title, while JGE is flexible. How true this speculation is, I've no idea but providing Net Devil come up with goods I don't mind waiting.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

On a epic scale Infinity is probably the biggest under taking and for all of the Elite fans it is probably the closet thing to a Elite 4. A lot of great concepts have been discussed and I think if things go well there might be a alpha/beta at the end of the year.

Now that Miner Wars has come up quick on the radar after being silent they are doing some great things with their game and I am very much looking forward to trying this game out. With all the information coming out and Darghan gonna let SSC do another Q&A we will get some more info.

JGE I have been watching this for a long time and looks great and now JGE has some great things in the game. I am glad they didn't bring it out in June because it would have been missing a lot that it needed to be successful. My only complaint is how slow the information flow is on JGE and BP, which brings me to BP. Black Prophecy has that raw and edgy look that I like and looks like the combat is fun and they have a lot of good ideas in the game. Depending on how you look at the announcement of BP going F2P it could be a good move or bad. We'll see shortly since Beta starts in April.

Elite4.... hehehe keep the faith is all I have to say, I would like to see it made but with not official announcements or even a promise that it is coming its rough for the fan.

X:Online I would like to see happen because I do the Egosoft could make a visually stunning game and they already have all the tech and framework built in the X games. They would only need to make the game huge and into a MMO and they would give EVE Online a run for the money because they could compete directly with them.

Thats my .02

ReplyQuote
Empyrean
(@empyrean)
Petty Officer Registered

Darkone wrote:

JGE I have been watching this for a long time and looks great and now JGE has some great things in the game. I am glad they didn't bring it out in June because it would have been missing a lot that it needed to be successful.

What things would have it been missing? From what I heard back in 2009, it was playable, cool looking, fun and almost complete. Maybe you know something we (or mainly: I) don't know? 😀

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2