Notifications
Clear all

Forum Migration

Page 2 / 2

AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

Ah, thanks for the "edit posts" update Darkone, that's great!

The links on the main Forum now seem to be OK - I'd assumed you made an edit, but perhaps not reading your last post.

I tested in IE and then Chrome Incognito mode and they were working. But I also had Adblock Pro turned on and tried turning that off (before reading Pinback's post) and the links then seemed to work in Chrome standard mode too.. but I think this may just be coincidence as I don't think I'd have visited some of the sub-forums before.

Maybe whatever you did with the server cache fixed the top level... but I'm still seeing a mixture of http and https links within forum sections, for example inside "SciFi Books and Fan Fiction", the topics on page 1 are OK apart from these two: "Most Epic Idea I Ever Had" and "Singularity Sky, Iron Surprise". I'm seeing just these two topics being different & having a https link on Chrome (signed into forum) as well as with Chrome Icognito mode, IE 11 & my via Samsung phone's Browser (these as an anonymous user). So I don't think it's a user-side caching/browser problem?

Few more for you:

The Download Terminal does go straight into the web page now, even after a log-out, log-in, but I'm afraid it's always displaying an empty folder.

My username is at the top left, next to the server/computer icon where the directory tree would be. (It thinks this is the root folder name?)

I'd noticed yesterday that the links to folders created from the information 'window' in  download terminal didn't seem to work if you paste the URL into the browser (logged into forum). Direct links to files worked - but without needing to be logged in - they might be an open download. I was going to double check this before reporting but just a heads up in case you want to check to make sure this can't be abused.

I also noticed below this forum reply editor, it suggests that files can be attached - "max file size 2GB". Just mentioning this in case it's not intended or needs to be smaller! (btw minor typo: "Choose a files")

The file selection window itself is also displaying as a solid white box with two buttons visible at the top. (there's an invisible close icon top right corner to dismiss it)

Well, you did ask for issue reports, lol - Hope this helps!

AndyJ

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I wonder why some pages may initially try to load as HTTPS because SSC has never been secure (using SSL). I will look through the settings to make sure there isn't something in there about that. I thought about getting SSL Cert but its just a forum and I don't sell anything here and all downloads are free.

I believe the download area should render correctly now. I accidentally removed the folder name from the page short code hahaha ooops 😉

Yeah I have been thinking about that, I did have a .htaccess file in the folders to help with security but for some reason the download mod would display the .htaccess file in the folders so people could download it and examine it and possibly use it maliciously. So I removed it for now while I think about what best too do. Yes for now a person could download a file from the download area without being logged in or using the tool if they know the direct link. I believe I can shut this off I just have to look into this issue.

Hmm on attaching files on a forum post, the forum mod is picking up the server side max which I set it that high for the download area. But the forum itself has its own setting which i just reset to 10MB so I will look into refreshing the cache to see if it updates properly.

Oh and thank you very much for this feedback. The less bugs the less maintenance I have to do later 😉

This post was modified 4 years ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

Yes, I can confirm the download terminal is loading correctly now, Cheers!

The https links are back on the main forum page though, e.g. FFED3D sub-forum & the SciFi Books main forum. (checked -this change is seen on phone browser & IE11/safari/Chrome browsers too)

Hope finding the cause won't turn into a game of whack-a-mole for you!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Think I fixed it, I uploaded a new .htaccess I configured to the web server root that will hopefully fix most the security issues. I did see that issue you and Pinback reported so I think I fixed it because I no longer see it on my end. I will test more on the security pieces later, lots of testing around .htaccess implementation to make sure you don't lock yourself out of your website 🙂

Oh I did notice that on some pop-ups or menu items the font color is white on a white background, so obviously its hard to read so I will look into this.

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

Updated the link to SSC on my blog, thanks for the heads-up D1 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Being see a lot of this certificate error again D1 over the last couple of days and it appears to be total random as it will let you see forums and thread and at other times it will block them.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Pinback

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Do you have an example link that caused the issue so I can try to reproduce it? I will see if I can set like cache clearing or something.... maybe something is being cached either on the server or in your own browser. I was planning to do a little site maintenance this weekend since we have a holiday on Monday so I have a few days off. I haven't seen this issue since I reproduced it when you and some others were seeing it, I will look into my CPanel as well on godaddy and see if there is anything there too... cause its weird it will try to load the link but in HTTPS, but I have never had a HTTPS site ever so there should be nothing turned on and I don't have a registered certificate for HTTPS so I couldn't run it if i tried.

Update: I did find one or two categories/forums that when i hovered over them displayed a HTTPS address, I corrected them. Searching through all of the settings pages for WP/wpForo and all mods and didn't find any setting or switch that could cause the anomaly we are seeing. All I can think of is that maybe its a side effect of the conversion of the forum data from bbpress to wpforo. Its just finding the links and correcting them 🙂

This post was modified 4 years ago 3 times by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I have not been able to look at the space/scifi combat and simulation forum, but I can get access through the sub forums and for example in the Starpoint Gemini forum it stopping me from looking at the thread SPG3 skillshot update but I can see the other threads.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

And you flushed your web browser cache just in case old URLs are being cached in your system? I have adjusted all of the urls that I could find that displayed a HTTPS. I don't see this any issue any more at home or at work, so I am more leaning on something on your end. I will dump all the server side caches again to see if this helps you.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Got this earlier, D1 - no problem, I just added an exception:

spacesimcentral.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed. The certificate expired on 13 January 2019, 03:00. The current time is 15 October 2019, 22:42.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Ahh that helped Cody, I logged into godaddy and found that there was once a SSL certificate that was self signed that was enabled with that date stamp. The self signed certificates are not really secure any way. So I removed it from the host, lets see if that fixes those errors, since it was trying to use a expired certificate. I also double checked WP options table showed that it is using http and not https. I will dump cache and see what happens, if people have cached pages for SSC in their browser you may need to dump your browser cache as well.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Looks like you have got it their D1. 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

👍 Thanks everyone for helping me troubleshoot that issue 🙂

Not sure if anyone noticed yet but I have the game listing back on the site. I will still be scraping the site for games not currently in this list and I have a lot of edits to still do, so it will be a WIP for a while 🙂 That was all hand coded so lots of typing hahaha. I might remove the 'Homepage' column because over time most URLs die out and you constantly need to remove or edit them.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2