Notifications
Clear all

Star Trek Online Open Beta Dates

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Well the time has come when everyone will get to see STO in action. Read below for the info:

Quote:

We're all very happy to be able to let you know that Star Trek Online will be in Open Beta from January 12 - January 26, 2010. Keys will be given out on a first come, first served basis, and can be acquired right here on startrekonline.com. We know you've all been eagerly anticipating your chance to experience the Star Trek Universe in a way that only Star Trek Online will allow, and we can't wait for you all to beam aboard this great adventure in January!

If people see this go active before me please let us all know so we can all get keys.

RedChico
(@redchico)
Petty Officer Registered

Quote:
The system cannot find a mailbox for user

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

What is this RedChico? Error or something?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

RedChico wrote:
Quote:

Must have been nobbled by the Star Trek goon squad. 😆

ReplyQuote
r3dfiv3
(@r3dfiv3)
Petty Officer Registered

PINBACK wrote:
RedChico wrote:
Quote:

Must have been nobbled by the Star Trek goon squad. 😆

Mmmm... I'm pretty sure that Goonswarm will have a presence in STO. Must be their fault 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

A ST goonsquad is ok because Star Wars has had a presence in MMO's for some time now and it will be nice to see how STO turns out. I want Cryptic to succeed because this will just fuel the space genre of games so the more success all of the developers have the more fun for us 🙂

Hope I get in the beta, I just didn't want to have to pre-order to get in.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Well open beta has started today and i didn't get a key 🙁

I might go to BestBuy and buy a pre-order for $5 to get in the beta not sure yet.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Well went to bestbuy and picked up the pre-order box for $5 and i have my beta key. The 7.8GB client should be done downloading when I get home today so over the next few days I will give STO a spin and hopefully post some nice screenshots and give everyone my opinion. Is anyone else here in the beta that I could hook up with in the game?

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)
Warrant Officer Registered

When you gonna be done installing? I'm anxious to get your feedback on this.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Done last night I played about 30mins before Cryptic did some server patching 🙁

But I was able to at least make my character, which the character generation screen is very indepth and I spent like 40+ mins just tweaking my character looks. I went with creating my own race and didn't use the defaults. You will get to pick from 4 natural abilities if you create your own race if you choose other races modifiers are chosen for you and then you will be able to pick 1-2 more for a total of four.

I will be checking my directories tonight to see if the printscreen button is actually saving pics. And if so I will have a flood of them I will upload this weekend. I'll do my best to describe all areas and what I think about them. But also at Bestbuy you can still go in and buy the $5 pre-order box and there is no obligation to buy the full game 🙂

And for everyone use the torrent download MUCH quicker.

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)

Any updates?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I was hoping to write a little something up this weekend. I have taken many screenshots and will try to display all aspects of the game that I could access or see and give my opinions on gameplay during the process. Patience, patience 🙂

ReplyQuote
Shant
(@shant)

😀

ReplyQuote
Neagoth
(@neagoth)
Senior Chief Registered

Darkone, if your still playing add me im Neagoth there too 🙂

Edit: or anyone else from here thats playing it 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I decided not to purchase STO and was going to wait to read up on some of the things I will talk about in my mini review of my beta experiences.

ReplyQuote
Neagoth
(@neagoth)
Senior Chief Registered

Thats cool, well im enjoying it, its Star Trek, its sci-fi, its space lol. Got bored of elves & orcs mmo's played them all.

Sure there's some stuff i dont like, but you cannot have everything. 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Posted my beta comments here: reviews-f59/sto-beta-review-t784.html feel free to add to them with your own questions and experiences.

ReplyQuote
Mogymog
(@mogymog)
Petty Officer Registered

To bad this game wasn't free. Either initially or monthly, that would have been awesome. Im probably one of the few people that's a ST fan, that wont be playing this game for the simple fact, I refuse to pay monthly fees for the privilege of playing a game I own. They could have easily made this puppy free, and still made a crap load of money off it.. And gotten 10x's the playerbase, and beat out WoW.

ReplyQuote