Notifications
Clear all

StarTrek to F2P

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

looks they changing at the end of the year.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3697 ... ra+News%29

Quote:
Perfect World, the China-based games company that wholly owns Star Trek Online developer Cryptic Studios, has revealed that the online MMO will be swapping to the free-to-play model before the end of the year.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I think this will be one of the better MMO's out there and definitely worth a try for everyone especially with all of the content additions they have made over the past 2yrs. I very much look forward to this and would much rather play a F2P Star Trek Online than Black Prophecy.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Finally have a date..... January 17, 2012

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2683

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Well STO went F2P today as promised and you can download the client and play. I will re-activate my account and see what improvements they have done since season 1.

ReplyQuote
Neagoth
(@neagoth)
Senior Chief Registered

Let us know if you want a wing man DarkOne 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Downloading the client now and hope to be playing this weekend if I'm lucky, have to write a review I have been delaying first.

ReplyQuote
Digitalus
(@digitalus)
Senior Chief Registered

I was thinking about getting back into this a little. I managed to hit the level cap when last I played (many many months ago), but the ground combat and quite a few other things convinced me not to resubscribe.

Not too sure it will be worth the download, but I admit I kind of miss the space combat portion. I hope they didn't erase my old character. 😆

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

The whole client for me download in about 1.5hrs. i haven't played much yet it seems my weekdays are so short.

ReplyQuote
LadynightShade
(@ladynightshade)
Master Chief Registered

played the game alot some months back got to level 50, im very good at the game, if i say so myself lol.....

love the space combat, all the noobs go flying in guns blazing and wonder why they die alot, people if you are going to play this watch out for the borg, they are deadly 😆

ReplyQuote
Zemunelo
(@zemunelo)
Petty Officer Registered

I played it too, nice game.

Good feeling, music, sounds etc almost like you are in that tv show or movie.

But its more for singleplayer as i can see. Like an interactive movie.

Ok you can PvP but i don't see point.

Maybe if somebody implement similar concept but with more Eve-like, more sandbox style it would be really good.

Developers were too busy making stories, maybe is better to give players reason to stay in game after they hit max-level or finish all stories.

Also more trade and more possibilities to build permanent structures on land and space etc.

Permanent live universe not instanced.

Hope somebody will see that people want that.

ReplyQuote
DiabloTigerSix
(@diablotigersix)
Master Chief Registered

Regardless of all the work that went into it, I think this is a case in point of how NOT to make a MMO.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I wouldn't say its a terrible MMO DiabloTigerSix, it could have some better aspects. But overall it has improved greatly over the beta. Things I would have changed would make the combat be from the bridge like in the show and not 3rd person view. I like the away missions because that's where all the action happened.

Zemunelo wrote:
Developers were too busy making stories, maybe is better to give players reason to stay in game after they hit max-level or finish all stories.

Also more trade and more possibilities to build permanent structures on land and space etc.

Permanent live universe not instanced.

Agree. Cryptic should have made this a live universe, so when a federation ship crossed into enemy space that one ship could start a whole war on the server. Make actions count in a game.

ReplyQuote
DiabloTigerSix
(@diablotigersix)
Master Chief Registered

DarkOne wrote:
I wouldn't say its a terrible MMO DiabloTigerSix, it could have some better aspects. But overall it has improved greatly over the beta. Things I would have changed would make the combat be from the bridge like in the show and not 3rd person view. I like the away missions because that's where all the action happened.

Yes, that's only one of many problems. After playing Star Trek: Bridge Commander (2002) and Star Trek: Klingon Academy (2000), it's difficult to be impressed by STO's goofy combat mechanics. Considering ST:Legacy and ST: DAC, I'm starting to see a trend here - space combat in ST games is getting more and more lame with every new release.

I'm also missing some bigger purpose of playing the game. The impression of a living&changing universe isn't really there. EVE almost nailed it, but failed in many areas too. And yes, I have high requirements for MMO's because I believe if something is to steal a good chunk of your life, it should be worth it in every aspect.

ReplyQuote
DiabloTigerSix
(@diablotigersix)
Master Chief Registered

I'll just leave this here...

http://kotaku.com/5909914/star-trek-onl ... -pvp-sucks

ReplyQuote