Planet Colonies - G...

Notifications
Clear all

Planet Colonies - Generic Building Resource?

Incognito
(@incognito)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

So I've bounced back to an old idea I was toying with, a sort of Outpost meets Anno city builder game. Space trade from the planetside, supply incoming ships with goods etc. The idea is it takes place across numerous worlds, so specific resources wouldn't work as what is available on one planet isn't necessarily on another ... so I named my main resources under generic terms to indicate 'this stuff is made out of all sorts of stuff'.

The naming part is where I have a small problem.

The first is called 'Alloy'. As the name suggest its made up of mined minerals and could be anything from steel to something newly discovered.

The second is where I have trouble .... I picture it as a sort of light yet rigid plastic like material, yet it can be made by melting down a number of base resources (considered things like regolith, plant life, fossil fuel, carbons?) so not exactly plastic. Basically an easy to make versatile all purpose building material ... sort of .... space lumber? in RTS terms.

I came up with two names:

The first is 'Polymer' indicating this stuff is broken down and remade into a polymer material.

The second was 'Fabricant' which just comes from it being generic material used to fabricate stuff.

Which do you guys think sounds better? Polymers or Fabricant? Or should I call it something else?

Anonymous

Well, polymer seems fitting.

Wikipedia

A polymer is a large molecule, or macromolecule, composed of many repeated subunits. Because of their broad range of properties, both synthetic and natural polymers play an essential and ubiquitous role in everyday life. Polymers range from familiar synthetic plastics such as polystyrene to natural biopolymers such as DNA and proteins that are fundamental to biological structure and function. Polymers, both natural and synthetic, are created via polymerization of many small molecules, known as monomers. Their consequently large molecular mass relative to small molecule compounds produces unique physical properties, including toughness, viscoelasticity, and a tendency to form glasses and semicrystalline structures rather than crystals.

Seems to fit perfectly for your use.

ReplyQuote