What OS do you use?

Notifications
Clear all

What OS do you use?

Anonymous
Topic starter  

What operating systems do you use for gaming or personal use. Right now I use Vista Home but would like to use Linux if I could because it is just more stable environment. If only Linux would support more windows games I would convert. I heard Wine for Linux is doing well in making Windows games work on Linux but there is some configuration, I need plug-play 🙂

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I just downgraded my system from Vista Ultimate to WinXP so I could play some of the classics. And I have to say my machine is quicker too after the downgrade. MS just upgrade XP with the latest drivers/hardware compatibility and call it a day. People love the OS just addon to it.

ReplyQuote
CrazySpence
(@crazyspence)
Petty Officer Registered

I use Mac OS X because I can run it in space 1, windows XP in space 2 and ubuntu in space 3 and not even skip a beat and switch full screen between all 3 with ctrl and left or right arrows 😀

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Mac OS X allows for you to switch between all with them all running in the background? I always thought that Apple just needed to perfect the OS (meaning run Windows software flawlessly) and they would put MSoft down for good. Because I like Mac OSX unix/linux backend.

ReplyQuote
r3dfiv3
(@r3dfiv3)
Petty Officer Registered

Knowledgeable people have told me not to touch Vista with a 10 foot pole, so I have not.

Windows XP Pro on this box.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I have been hearing that Windows 7 is actually quite good. I just hope when it comes out it isn't $200+

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Is this windows7 a vista replacement and dose any one know when it coming out?.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I have been hearing mixed things like the end of the year or early next year. I have been hearing some nice things about Windows 7. Maybe MS is actually going to fix all the flaws of Vista and make it right. I am thinking about getting it and hope I won't have to pay $200+ for it. You can download the Windows 7 beta, which I might put on my new PC to try it out.

ReplyQuote
Bas
 Bas
(@bas)
Petty Officer Registered

<- Win XP

D1, I personally have decided not to buy software which I can get for free (legally) anymore. (For instance, I use openoffice instead of MS Works). This do also count for OS'es - But for what do you need Win 7? Isn't there anything with which you aren't fine with Win XP?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

For right now I am fine with WinXP. Everything runs on it and MS needs to realize they need to reinvent the wheel if they want people to upgrade quicker. As developers slowly embrace DirectX10-11 we will soon have to upgrade if we want to see the visuals in these games to come. I have to admit AoC looked pretty good in DX10.

Graphics are my sole reason to upgrade to any MS OS. I would never buy Msoft again if Ubuntu could just play all my games flawlessly 🙂 I go out of my way to find free/opensource alternatives to software on my PC. So I am definitely with you on that Bas.

WinXP could last quite a long time if MS would just backport DX10 to it 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Think I will hold off upgrading or buying a new pc untill I know more about this windows 7.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Can always download the Windows 7 Beta Pinback and give it a try to see how you like it?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... nload.aspx

ReplyQuote