Notifications
Clear all

How to take photographs ?

Fafhred
(@fafhred)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I am eventually able to play this game (it would not run on my older computer), and I now have a mission to take photographs.

I started on the first planet with a device for that (in quest items), however I cannot find any way to actually use it.

My first mission objective is to take picture of an Obelisk (for an Historian); I tried everything I could think of, nothing does it.

I hope someone here has figured it out, although there is no mention of it in the 'How to' threads not on any other post.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I remember having trouble with that mission myself, IIRC I think you had to be in right spot to take them.

XenonS has been playing the game so he might be able to shed some light on the mission.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)
Warrant Officer Registered

It's in your equipment : it's a sort of medusa-like creature that you have to use (if you select it with the mouse, there should be a description). Just drop it in a free slot to use. LMB to take a shot.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Xenons

Did you have to stand a certain spot in order to take the photo or could the photo be taken anywhere?.

ReplyQuote
Fafhred
(@fafhred)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for those quick answers, but I ALREADY knew what that item was, and had already tried to move it to a quick slot right when I started on that planet; it would not let me do so back then.

I had not tried again since, but from your answer I figure that it is only possible when that mission is on; will try that in a few minutes.

Updates:

1) Yes, that was it, now it allowed me to put it in quick slot...

2) There is no reaction to photographying the statues through various angles (even close by), however photographying the Obelisk worked now (no specific spot required, I tried from various locations in the clearing, all worked); so I figure that this is another quest where actions need to be in exact order.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Hi Pinback,

I used the photo only a few times in the game (don't want to spoil here). In any case you have to center your objective and be in a right range, else you hear that the picture is taken, BUT the mission is still open. When successful, you get a brief freeze of the screen with your picture and a sound telling you the mission is successful.

Hi Fafhred,

glad that you could take the picture.

Always check with O key that you have passed the different parts of your missions. In a single mission the order is important (or the mission may fail), but you can have different missions open at any time, also you don't have to stick to the main story line, you can always deviate if you want and comeback later.

What game version are you playing with? Have you patched the game ?

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Fafhred
(@fafhred)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

First, I am a veteran of both both RPGs and space games (RPGs since BEFORE the first personal computers  xD , space games since the very first ones: Elite when it was brand new, a lot more after that), so those tips were not useful to me xD; all was obvious since the first 10 minutes on the planet...

However there are a few missions where the order does not matter (for instance the wanted posters).

As for the game version, I bought the GamersGate version a while back but coud not run it on my previous computer. Fresh download and install a few days ago, whichever is the current GamersGate version (which according to posts on this forum, CANNOT be patched with the unofficial patches).

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Because you already buyed the Gamersgate version, I give you this (unusual) tip: throw all away and get the files mentioned in my walkthrough, it will save you a lot of time and trouble

Right-click on the Gamersgate Precursors.exe in your game directory. If you read 1.0.0.0 then you have the right version (see my walkthrough).

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Fafhred
(@fafhred)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

The installed version from GamersGate shows 1.0.0.0

I will check out your walkthrough later, but will my existing saves be compatible, and will I need to unisntall the GamersGate version first ?

Update:

I have just read your walthrough, and part of it is not acceptable to me, so I will stick with the GamersGate version.

The last drop really was:

Results and in-game settings:

After these steps, there should be no more sound issues whatsoever: The mission dialogs will be in Russian, but with English translations (subtitles). All Cutscenes will instead be in English (installed from Wesp5's patch).

Be sure to shut down your anti-virus before launching the game, and be sure to go offline before!

Orange: I am not happy with.

Red: complete no-no for me, and implies that the files are unsafe; if they are, the risk will still be there once the game has been run once that way.

GamersGate version runs happily with all security features on, and I DO NEED to keep my computer online even when playing.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

Oh, mate, what a rant really 🙂

Maybe you should have a computer for gaming and another one for more serious work.

Security software is there to protect you, but there are ways to set it up in order not to clash with gaming. Inform yourself.

Besides, who do you think I am? I'm not a consultant , but a player interested in this particular game answering questions to folks for who I assume are - constructively - also interested.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Fafhred
(@fafhred)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Let me put it this way: I am a computer engineer (Microsoft Certified), with an emphasis on security.

From my point of view, there is no acceptable way of disabling security for any reason; making exception for games is NOT a valid suggestion: games have to comply with security, not the other way around.

I actualy do have this computer set up for gaming, another for other tasks as you suggested; that is no valid reason to breach security: if you knew about it, you would know that a wide range of intrusions are propagating on networks and only need 1 less protected machine to infect the whole network that machine is on.

Having only 1 Internet access, I cannot make 2 totally disconnected networks which would allow 1 secure and 1 lax (that would require 1 physical Internet access for each); there are ways to 'split' a physical connection to 2 networks which would not see each other, but that requires additional hardware which I cannot currently afford, and that would still be less secure than 2 fully separated access.

So, you said 'inform yourself'; from that I believe that either your are the misinformed one, or you make the choice not to take security seriously; that cannot be my choice.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

From my point of view, there is no acceptable way of disabling security for any reason; making exception for games is NOT a valid suggestion: games have to comply with security, not the other way around.

I'm more than just Microsoft certified, that^'s not difficult (certificate for Admin + Network).

Your statement here above is ridiculous, and you probably know it. You want total safety? Then go offline. Or use a viftual environment like VMWare to isolate you from the net.

For gaming I suggest to change the real-time file scanning from your security software to only scan executable files. With that, you have reasonable security and you do not clash with games that produce a lot of temp and other files whlle playing.

Chose this option for online gaming.

For more performance, if you  are not playing online, like in The Precursors,  do also just what I was already suggesting: go offline and turn your security software completely off, and turn it on again when finished.

It requires discipline, but that's true today with all internet activity.

You can be engineer or whatever you want, that's the line to go, and you will have to move the hell on Earth to convince me otherwise. 

Also: what I'm saying here is not the product of just reading my walkthrough or my posts, but also to INFORM YOURSELF . It requires a minimum of intelligence.

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Fafhred
(@fafhred)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

let's agree to disagree, we obviously do not have the same attitude to IT security.

ReplyQuote
XenonS
(@xenons)

For real IT security there is no game to play 😎

XenonS

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Let try and keep it on topic here if you feel the need to discuss it further then by all means start a thread in the http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/forum/2-general-chat/ forum.

ReplyQuote