Notifications
Clear all

Top secret aircraft is missing

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered
Topic starter  

Just saw this on the news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14497641

It seems the US military lost their hypersonic Falcon HTV-2 test plane. At least it was un-manned, at least I HOPE it was un-manned. Is it me or does it look a bit like Coolhand's Police Viper out of FFE3D?

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

20x the speed of sound, now that's some serious G's.

The bad thing about this test flight is that I believe I read somewhere these test planes cost like 200+ million dollars. Personally I don't see how any plane could cost that much but I just don't see the USA having a fleet of these at the expensive cost of these things. You would think that they would at least do another 2-3 test flights before some type of mass production is in order.

What isn't discussed is its possible usage, at that speed is it only going to be a spy plane or will this hold armaments? This thing flies so fast that it could launch a missile and pass it in flight 🙂

ReplyQuote
Tony Spike
(@tonyspike)
Senior Chief Registered

DarkOne wrote:

What isn't discussed is its possible usage, at that speed is it only going to be a spy plane or will this hold armaments? This thing flies so fast that it could launch a missile and pass it in flight 🙂

i read somewhere this piece of either genius or insanity (you decide which) and thought i would share it, .......if a plane is travelling at mach 3 and it fires a missile .....wouldnt that missile already be travelling at mach 3 before launch and then have the additional boost of the speed its engine fires it at

theirfore the misile still travels faster than the plane

yeah i read that somewhere believe it or not .....my brain jumped out the back of my head afterwards it boggled my mind so much lol

ReplyQuote