Notifications
Clear all

Wing Commander Standoff, Anything Played This???

Anonymous
Topic starter  

Hello Folks

I was just wondering if anyone has played or is playing this Add-On to Wing Commander Secret Ops??? I have been in it for a little while and it is fairly well done up to and including ship variability and campaign length. Mine you I have also played the WC-Saga Prologue and I would give it a slight edge over Standoff in the controls (via its Freespace Core) but Standoff has it with Cockpit Interior (it's using all the old school WC Cockpits) as well as Mission Design.

Speaking about Mission Design, some of these missions are BLOODY DIFFICULT!!!!!! I'm stuck on a mission in the 3rd set on the winning path. You are tasked with taking out a Cat Destroyer and then maybe a Cat Carrier (if you survive) with a large task force of Bombers and their fighter cover. You are given the choice of whether you want to fly a Gladius Bomber or a Rapier II Fighter. So far I have tried both and while I can take out the destroyer with the Gladius, the AI Bomber Pilots are a bunch of nitwits who can't hit the side of a barn let alone that destroyer if I choose the Rapier. In any event the entire Cat Space Force seems to want my rear in every light and heavy fighter you could think of from WC-I on up. To add insult to injury I soon run out of After-Burner Fuel somewhere in the middle of racking up entire squadrons worth of Kills and I become a SITTING DUCK!!!!!!!! 🙁

So has anyone WON THIS MISSION??????????

Thanks

DarKenK

ViolentAJ
(@violentaj)
Petty Officer Registered

Yeah. WC: Standoff is awesome. I beat it last summer.

Some of the missions are outright difficult and borderline impossible. I had to replay many of the missions.

I beat the mission that you're talking about flying in the Rapier. I do think that they throw waaay too many fighters at you. It's not like you're flying an X-Wing against swarms of unshielded TIEs; many of those Kilrathi fighters are on par or even superior to your fighter!

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Quote:
Some of the missions are outright difficult and borderline impossible. I had to replay many of the missions.

Then the game is still unbalanced. 👿 I do not have the time or the patience to replay the same mission 10 times. 👿

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
Topic starter  

Hello CaptainKai

Hmmmm, given your statement and my experience over the last few days I guess it's not "only" my combat capability at issue the deck has been stacked so to speak and not in my favor. In any event given ViolentAJ's post and some info I was able to find on the Standoff boards I know the mission is at least winnable (but it's still BLOODY DIFFICULT). Hopefully it doesn't take the 10 attempts you mentioned, but I will feel a sense of accomplishment when I do eventually beat the thing.

DarKenK

CaptainKal wrote:
Quote:

Then the game is still unbalanced. 👿 I do not have the time or the patience to replay the same mission 10 times. 👿

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Quote:
Hopefully it doesn't take the 10 attempts you mentioned, but I will feel a sense of accomplishment when I do eventually beat the thing.

As I grow older, (I am in my 40's now ), I do not have the patience I used to have. 😕 Let's hope a cheat code exists to bypass this mission 😀 😀

ReplyQuote
psilas
(@psilas)
Crewman Registered

AWSOME GAME.

You don't need any cheats as it has an INVINCIBLE option in the menu screen. You can turn it off or on whenever you like.

The opengl graphics look great as does all the hdr/bloom fx. Add to that the story, the decent dialogue etc and it is a really great great piece of freeware. Top 10 in any freeware game list no doubt.

Secret ops + Standoff = 2 VERY nice freeware games.

Same goes for Open Arena + True Combat. Another great 2 for one freeware deal.lol.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
Topic starter  

Hello psilas

Never heard of these, some info please 😕 ??

Thanks

DarKenK

psilas wrote:

same goes for Open Arena + True Combat. Another great 2 for one freeware deal.lol.

ReplyQuote
psilas
(@psilas)
Crewman Registered

@ DarkenK

Sry Ken, they're not flight sims, they're FPS games. I was making a comparison in that they are similar in concept (One game is freeware, other one is mod for freeware) and execution ie...both great games.

Open Arena is basically the freeware version of Quake 3 and True Combat is a Q3 reality mod that works on Open Arena and its VERY good, great graphics for Q3, reality settings,weapons etc.

Unfortunately, theres stuff missing when using True Combat with open arena, textures etc, and not all maps have bot support, so I'm currently working on a True Combat 'Open Arena' edition with new maps, full single player bot support etc. I also have someone ready to work on the stand alone version. Should be finished in a couple of months so keep em peeled.

It was purely a comparison between these 2 great FREE games, Secret Ops/Standoff etc and their FPS counterparts.

ReplyQuote
TDG
 TDG
(@tdg)
Petty Officer Registered

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long absence.

I have also been playing this game and I have to say, this game is dead hard!

Especially for a gamer who doesn't play space sims often.

I have put difficulty on Easy and I use the invincibility option but I think the last automatically sends you on the loosing path as I didn't get very positive messages on ship com before the game suddenly ended.

Rather a shame as I really do want to enjoy this game, I really like all the retro Wing Commander ships which I have always preferred over the Wing Commander 3/4 ships.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Just a few days ago the Wing Commander Standoff was recently repackaged to include episodes and patches that have been released to date.

Enjoy: http://standoff.solsector.net/downloads.shtml

ReplyQuote