Notifications
Clear all

2 Nice pics from X-Rebirth and some info

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Here is some pics I thought were nice in showing off some visuals in EgoSoft's upcoming game:

Farming platform view from inside the cockpit

Modularity1.jpg

Super Highway view from inside cockpit

Highway.jpg

Some info I thought was a nice to get:

Quote:

The playership - Not just an ordinary ship

One of the big changes in X Rebirth when compared to the old X games is that you as a player will only be flying a single ship. But before you get upset and complain about the lack of freedom to steer other ships, WAIT... that's still possible. Its just packaged in a different way... So please be patient for a moment and read on. Wink

Like in X:Beyond the Frontier, where the player was also bound to a single ship called the Xperimental shuttle, X Rebirth will place you in another very special ship: The Pride of Albion, or as it is more recently known: The Albion Skunk.

Rooms and NPCs

This one ship, however, is not just another ship like those you know from our past games. For starters, it has several rooms that you can see and use, it has a crew of NPCs who work for you, their captain, and who you can meet face to face.

The Co-Pilot

Some of these NPCs can be hired and exchanged, others you meet by destiny (or as we refer to it: The plot). The best example of that latter kind will be your co-pilot. She will be your interface to the ship and helps you control many of the more complex aspects of the game.

The story of the ship

It has a long history and that history is far from over.

You can influence what this ship is and how it develops.

Expanding the ship

It is a fast and maneuverable ship and can be expanded. Weapons systems, engines, shields, but most importantly: Drones.

Quote:

CPU performance

One of the biggest steps in developing an entire new engine was to design a true multithread-capable engine. X Rebirth will make full use of latest generation CPUs by spreading the work in many parallel running threads.

Quote:

Realistic Proportions

Thanks to the highway system we can finally have realistic proportions. What was known as sectors in the old universe, was always supposed to be entire solar systems. Thats what it said in the stories of the game and in the books which went into great depth to explain the history of these gates.

In reality however, these sectors were only a few dozen to hundred kilometers in diameter. Not really the size a solar system should have.

Quote:

Build stages - Decide on a strategy

Now we just talked about building a first module so far. And that is actually the biggest new feature - Modularity!

Stations can be built in different orders according to your plans. Do you want to focus on the production and build a chain of modules that support each other, where one produces the resources for the next?

Or do you plan your station more like a huge warehouse and focus on big storage capacities?

Expansions - Going into detail

On top of that modules can also be expanded.

The surface elements that we described in the ships and stations section, all play an important role for your own stations as well.

Invest in turrets, equip the surface of your station with shield generators and add more capabilities to your station by building more things on the surface of your station.

Go here for more info: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewforum.php?f=109 I only just touched on some of the areas discussed in some of those forum topics.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

AWWWW NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am being sucked into the hype again, it’s like Ground Hog day all over again. 😆

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

😆 When are you getting the pre-order in Pinback? 😆

Also noticed this in the main thread about the game

"Complex=good, Complicated=bad

Let me get this straight right at the start. X Rebirth is not less complex or dumber than any of the X games of the past.

But to make a game intuitive and easy to learn, you have to design it from scratch. Adding features to a game that was not designed for these features at the start, is never perfect.

Designed to be fun and easy but complex and deep at the same time"

This sounds like they have been reading my posts at the Frontier Forum 😕 http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread ... #post15227

Anyways, yes the game looks very nice indeed, but the jumpgates dont work? Are they finally going to introduce Hyperdrives instead of gates? If they did it would really open up the game.

Oh I just noticed! 😳 , by the way Pinback, congrats to you being made a mod 😉

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Geraldine wrote:

I will be ordering when they announce it’s release date 😀 just noticed over at Game they now have it as Q1 2012 so if it’s right, looks like it’s slipped a bit.

Geraldine wrote:
Oh I just noticed! 😳 , by the way Pinback, congrats to you being made a mod 😉

Cheers Geraldine I was thinking of changing my avatar pic to some thing more 😛

vader2.jpg

Humm Darth Pinback, 😯 wait a minute that would make D1 the emperor.

Better not go any further with this chain of thought. 😆

hyperdrive and Big system in an x game I hope it an end to their cubes system and crawl around to see what there.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

It will be interesting in seeing what EgoSoft does to make me want to actually play through the entire game. I usually loose interest 30-50 hours into a game. So I hope they can cure the boredom factor for me, unless I am getting to old to focus for that long a period of time. 🙂 I like what Egosoft has done with those cockpits it will be nice to see if they are interactive and provide usefulness. And of the course the ship roaming is great.

PINBACK wrote:
Humm Darth Pinback, 😯 wait a minute that would make D1 the emperor.

I have tried to keep a low profile to not let anyone know my true identity.... 😈 Mainly because when I get worked up my good looks start to fade...

420px-Palpycropped.jpg

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Just got my Egosoft news letter there and it answered my question (via links) to how they will structure this new universe. They are going to use highways to get around realistically sized systems. Sounds a bit like Freelancer to me. Here is a link http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=306348

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Geraldine wrote:
Just got my Egosoft news letter there and it answered my question (via links) to how they will structure this new universe. They are going to use highways to get around realistically sized systems. Sounds a bit like Freelancer to me. Here is a link http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=306348

The highway pic dose’s look a like Freelances even down to using similar colours

Freelancer

freelancer117.jpg

X Rebirth

Highway.jpg

Quote:
Super Highways and Gates

Super highways are even faster than local highways and bridge interplanetary distances. Again you can influence your speed and interact with other ships but you can not leave a super highway in the middle.

Gates still exist, but right now.... they do not work. However, there are signs that this may soon change

I hope you will be able to travel to a number of destinations/systems using these superhighways.

Looks like the gates are still there

Quote:
Where our old universe was a simple arrangement of cubic sectors, we now have a hierarchy of really stellar proportions allowing a more realistic and varied universe than before.

I hope that’s mean the cubic sectors are dead, mind you they might still have you crawl around in the dark to see what’s there.

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Quote:
unless I am getting to old to focus for that long a period of time.

That's a problem, that I also encounter lately. 😀

Quote:
I have tried to keep a low profile to not let anyone know my true identity.... Mainly because when I get worked up my good looks start to fade...

Time to reveal my own indentity (and where the "Captain" part of my nickname comes from 😆 ):

ShatnerHam77_6499.jpg

Quote:
The highway pic dose’s look a like Freelances even down to using similar colours

IMHO the consept of hypergates for in-system travel was seen first in the "Cowboy Bebop" Anime http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_bebop .

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

CaptainKal wrote:

IMHO the consept of hypergates for in-system travel was seen first in the "Cowboy Bebop" Anime http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_bebop .

Looks like they may be grabbing ideas from every where, forgot to say it still reminds me of Darkstar one.

Your identity pics not working Captainkal.

So I will have a guess, it’s not Captain Bob out of Commander Blood is it. 😀 😀

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

Quote:

So I will have a guess, it’s not Captain Bob out of Commander Blood is it.

Try This link then:

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

CaptainKal wrote:
Quote:

So I will have a guess, it’s not Captain Bob out of Commander Blood is it.

Try This link then:

Nope that one says “Referral Denied” but from the title of the pic would I be right in thinking that it is none other than the worlds second greatest living actor and toupee wearer James T Kirk. 😀

James_Kirks_evil_counterpart.jpg

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Lieutenant Registered

😀 😀 😀

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

So they scale up, risky thing. X3-series is build on a abstract gameplay mechanics wich foundation is small scale wich dictates low speed. And more low differential speed combat similair to aircombat but even then slower.

That the gameplay mechanics that is all balanced out. And the X gamers know and are use to.

Wel scale up means the speed needs to scale with it wich means the combat changes.

The whole gameplay formula chances.

It a different kind of game.

It. risky but very interresting.

The main problem with Xseries are the UI wich is more suitable for wordprocesor in Dos ages.

Then a space combat thing.

So the primairy evolution to the series. Will be fresh new UI systems. With a more modern game engine

Secondairy New gameplay mechanic.

Third they hack slashin features out of it. So a great overhaul and re focus on speific features.

A bad or good UI system can make or brake a game specialy for complex onces

Scaling the sectors from abstract small to real scale just a matter of preference. As always they work out gameplay mechanic that balanse and fit there choices.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

They have been a bit shy about showing anything to do the UI, hope it’s not endless menus that have to dug through to do something.

So far what’s been shown and said is not a bad start, it should appeal to a much broader audience than the X games ever did

Really hope they change the name before they release the game as “X Rebirth “ is just about the crappiest name they could have come up with.

ReplyQuote
tindrli
(@tindrli)
Petty Officer Registered

PINBACK wrote:
They have been a bit shy about showing anything to do the UI, hope it’s not endless menus that have to dug through to do something.

So far what’s been shown and said is not a bad start, it should appeal to a much broader audience than the X games ever did

Really hope they change the name before they release the game as “X Rebirth “ is just about the crappiest name they could have come up with.

well at least im not the only one who gets insanely bored and, shit i tried to play it at least 200 times!!

and i dont mind if they keep the name of the game.. it sucks.. well yes.. but who cares .. i would like to play decent sim FFS

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

Geraldine wrote:

Also noticed this in the main thread about the game

Let me get this straight right at the start. X Rebirth is not less complex or dumber than any of the X games of the past.

But to make a game intuitive and easy to learn, you have to design it from scratch. Adding features to a game that was not designed for these features at the start, is never perfect.

This sounds like they have been reading my posts at the Frontier Forum 😕 http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread ... #post15227

Anyways, yes the game looks very nice indeed, but the jumpgates dont work? Are they finally going to introduce Hyperdrives instead of gates? If they did it would really open up the game.

I don't think so. They have a special feedback forum section. Where serious feadback is deliverd with strict protocol and heavy moderation. Lot of people complain about UI and me to in Egosoft devnet section with argumentation. to read it you have to have level3 acces to the devnet section.

Frontier forum there are some Real newtownian extremist or fundamentalist who burn anything not comply-ing to there preference like a religion. Its Xseries bashing there. It's like they didn't notice the real gameplay problem the UI.

The title say alot to me. X-Rebirth as remake like based on IP but complete overhaul not true to the series.

Reinvent gameplay mechanics because wenn you scale up it will change extreem.

So I look forward to it.

Expect a buggy rushed game. This kind of complex game just need at least 3 years of development with decent part of Q&A.

So the real problem with Xseries is.

1st GUI

2d very limited AI

3d rushed buggy game.

Newtownian flight model is more a matter of preference and not a flaw. As long as the core gameplay mechanics fit that choice very well.

It sounds that 1 is adressed in new fresh game. 2point probaly to.

3 can be addressed with patches and good active game support.

Well I like realism so look forward to upscaling to realistic size but gameplay make or brakes the game.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

SuperG wrote:
Geraldine wrote:

This sounds like they have been reading my posts at the Frontier Forum 😕

I don't think so. They have a special feedback forum section. Where serious feadback is deliverd with strict protocol and heavy moderation. Lot of people complain about UI and me to in Egosoft devnet section with argumentation. to read it you have to have level3 acces to the devnet section.

I am sure they do have a special feedback section SuperG, but that wont stop anyone from Egosoft reading posts on other forums 😉

SuperG wrote:
Frontier forum there are some Real newtownian extremist or fundamentalist who burn anything not comply-ing to there preference like a religion. Its Xseries bashing there. It's like they didn't notice the real gameplay problem the UI.

😮 What!?!

Are you saying that the Frontier Forum is full of Newtonian Elite fanatics? Surely not? 😆 😆

SuperG wrote:
Expect a buggy rushed game. This kind of complex game just need at least 3 years of development with decent part of Q&A.

So the real problem with Xseries is.

1st GUI

2d very limited AI

3d rushed buggy game.

I think your totally correct there SuperG. 🙂 It does all seem too quick, So I guess there will be a protracted period of patch releases following the game once it is out.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

SuperG wrote:

They have a special feedback forum section. Where serious feadback is deliverd with strict protocol and heavy moderation. Lot of people complain about UI and me to in Egosoft devnet section with argumentation. to read it you have to have level3 acces to the devnet section.

This secret feedback forum that Egosoft has may have contributed to the games problems in the long run by them not taking any notice of the more general gaming forums.

We can only hope that they have being paying attention and this reboot of the series proves more popular with the wider gaming public.

SuperG wrote:
Frontier forum there are some Real newtownian extremist or fundamentalist who burn anything not comply-ing to there preference like a religion.

It’s just not the Frontier forum that gets the Newtonian taliban, joystick taliban or indeed No JumpGate taliban (think I belong to that last one 😆 ) they pop on every forum when someone mentions space sim.

What they tend to forget is that commercial/indie developers are making a game not a simulation even if a game does have a Newtonian flight model it's probably a fudge as compromises have to be made to make the game playable.

ReplyQuote
leksimus
(@leksimus)
Petty Officer Registered

I'm personaly looking forward to this game. I'm currently playing X3 reunion and plan to spend some time with it before moving on to X:TC and then on to X:AP, so hopefully by the time I'm ready to start x-rebirth, it will be fully patched and on the discount rack 😉 I'd love it if they hired some writers for this one. One of my biggest gripes with the x-games is that the stories seem to hold water about as well as a wet paper bag. I crave deep space ADVENTURE again.

Another gripe (with space games in general) is the lack of truly exploring the unknown, the way it's set up now is a "head to this sector to find the undocumented factory/shipyard/pirate base" but that not really exploring the unknown, thats like exploring the colosseum and getting lunch at the McDonald's in the lobby 🙄

Leks

ReplyQuote
Digitalus
(@digitalus)
Senior Chief Registered

I'm definitely looking forward to a fresh look at the X games, so Rebirth is on my "definite watch" list.

I like the X3 games, but they do tend to feel rather hollow after a time. That, and once you get a fairly sizable fleet, command and control issues (in regards to the UI) become really painful to contend with.

Some of the Rebirth info we've seen so far suggests that might be changing a bit. I do like the direction their taking with stations. Complexes were a nice idea with pretty dubious execution: large ones would be sprawling nightmares of framerate-murdering agony.

A new Albion Prelude patch is out (2.0), so I'll mess with that later this week. Turning some of the constant war reports off would be nice, glad they added that!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

What happened to the box release of Albion Prelude, thought it was supposed to out about now. ❓

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

For a game that is supposed to release in 2012 sometime they sure don't like to hype it much with month leaks of info and screenshots. Egosoft should least publish a screenshot or two a month to keep everyone hyped up.

ReplyQuote