frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hi Everyone

I think most of the major changes are done, I think. Now I will be just doing small stuff to improve security and hopefully make everything look better. :)

For help for existing users prior to website update read these posts:

Activating account:
http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/discussion/7019/troubleshooting-my-account-from-the-switch-over

Download Area Info
http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/discussion/7020/download-area-info

Please post to the administration area if you have any problems:
http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/categories/ssc-administration

-D1-

Current hardware

edited 2:54PM in Pioneer
Since we've had a couple of posts lately about the hardware that people are using I'd just like to get an idea of what machines people are using.

This isn't a chance to slate peoples machines but just to give me an idea of the range of equipment.

There are 4 things that I'd like to know:

1) operating system, i.e: Win7 32/64bit, WinXP, Mac OSX, Linux (+distro).

2) CPU

3) RAM

4) GPU/Graphics

You can find most of this out by downloading CPU-Z

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I'll start us off as I have two machines that I use for dev.

Laptop (That I got just before being made redundant!):

1) Win7 64bit

2) AMD Phenom II N620 Dual-Core @ 2.8GHz

3) 4GB

4) ATi Mobility HD 4250 / HD 5470 (switchable)

Desktop PC:

1) Win7 64bit

2) Intel i7 920 Quad-Core @ 2.66GHz

3) 6GB

4) nVidia GTX 470

I have no issues running the game and thus I tend to forget that others might when I'm implementing a feature as I treat my Laptop as the minimum spec!

Obviously that isn't fair on some people, it also might affect what work gets done one which feature in the future. For example, layering on more and more terrain processing and atmosphere rendering might make things prettier as discussed in the other thread, but it might also prevent some people from playing the game _at all_ which probably isn't what anyone wants. On the other hand this might reveal that there's no reason for maintaining fixed function pipeline code (only used as an example guys) and point out where it may be possible to shift some workload.

Cheers,

Andy

Comments

• edited 2:54PM
    1) Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate Edition

2) Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz

3) 4GB DDR2 PC6400

4) nVidia GTX 260 w/ 896MB GDDR3 RAM
    laptop-

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110408-1633)

HP G62 Notebook PC

AMD Athlon(tm) II P340 Dual-Core Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

3072MB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series

This one runs fine on the lower graphical settings but has the usual ati related bugs. Things are much better on the latest builds though.

Desktop-

Windows xp 32bit

intel e220 dual core 2.4 ghz

3072 RAM

Nvidia geforce 9500gt 1gb

This runs the game much smoother and can even run on higher settings with hdr enabled. I attribute this to the much better (but still quite rubbish) gpu.

One thing I would like to mention is that on both computers, the real fps killers are the cities. I can have terrain either on high or the highest on either pc but as soon as I get near a city it begins to crawl. Does anyone know if anyone has made any progress on optimising cities? I wish I could do 3d modelling as I would crack out a few temporary low-poly replacements if I could.
    Luomu wrote:
    I run this on a single-core 2.3ghz laptop with Radeon HD4200 just fine, so I would say getting "1-2 fps" is a bug somewhere.

Cross-posted n' quoted from the other thread until Loumo can give us more info.
  • s2odans2odan Pioneer Developer & Moderator
    edited 2:54PM
    Does anyone know if anyone has made any progress on optimising cities? I wish I could do 3d modelling as I would crack out a few temporary low-poly replacements if I could.

Nothing much has been done, AFAIK the problem is not with the the buildings themselves as they are all very low poly, I think most of them are scripted actually which would mean they have perfect LOD calculation too. If you feel up to it you could try a bit of play testing to see what the cause really is, by removing the various buildings in groups, if it suddenly speeds up then you know one of the buildings you removed was responsible :)

Oh and:

Win7 x64

Intel Q6600 2.4

4 GB DDR2.

285GTX 2GB version ;)
    1: Win 7-64

2: AMD 64 X2 5400 @2,8

3: 2GB PC6400

4: ATI HD4850 512MB
  • robnrobn Pioneer Developer
    1. Debian Linux 6.0/sid, kernel 2.6.38 (32 bit)

2. Core 2 Duo T9600 @ 2.80GHz

3. 4GB DDR2

4. Mobility Radeon HD3650 (w/ fglrx/Catalyst 11.4.2)

Also testing regularly with Windows builds on Wine, and the open source Radeon drivers.
    So most of the developers at least seem to have a minimum of dual-core machines with decent shader capable graphics and 2GB ram.

No-one with single-core, integrated graphics or Mac hardware has posted but I'm sure that people have complained about those things before :roll:
    I'm probably at the low end of the hardware spectrum.

WinXP home

AMD Athlon 2500+

1 gig ram

ATI Radeon 9550 w/256mb ram

Single core, no shaders or hdr, but Pioneer is looking pretty good and plays well on medium detail levels.
    Funny, the Radeon 9550 should support OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 2.0 if you did want to use shaders. Might not be blisteringly fast though ;)

*edit* stoopid typos.
    My personal computer at the moment is:

Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit

AMD V140 2.3GHz (single core)

Radeon HD4200

2GB RAM

My desktop PC is in a box on another continent.
  • farcodevfarcodev Far Colony Developer
    1) operating system: Win7 64bit

2) CPU: phenom II @ 4ghz

3) RAM: 16gb

4) GPU/Graphics: HD 6970 + GTS240
  • OSHOSH
    1. Windows XP SP3

2. Athlon64 2 GHz (single core)

3. NVidia GeForce GT 440

4. 2 GB RAM
    Funny, the Radeon 9550 should support OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 2.0 if you did want to use shaders. Might not be blisteringly fast though

It doesn't though. I can click the button to no effect only to find it unclicked again when I press [esc].
    Another low end user. On an old laptop.

CPU: Turion 64 @ 2Ghz (Single core)

GFX: Onboard Radeon XPress (about the same as the old 9xxx series of desktop cards i think, but for laptop)

MEMORY: 2 GB

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz

Memory: 4GB 1067 DDR3

GFX: ATI Radeon HD 4670 256Mb

This is the machine I dev and play pioneer with - runs well.
    Marcel wrote:
    Funny, the Radeon 9550 should support OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 2.0 if you did want to use shaders. Might not be blisteringly fast though

It doesn't though. I can click the button to no effect only to find it unclicked again when I press [esc].

Might I be rude and suggest... an upgrade? :o

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-024-HS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1842

I was quite surprised to actually _find_ an AGP card for sale these days, I have an spare PC with a GeForce 6800 that could do with upgrading... if I ever get another job *grumble, grumble*

Hmm, on the other hand how about checking out either the latest drivers or some of the hacked "Omega" driver packs for Ati to see if they enable those features?
    Right the results suggest that we have a few people running single core machines, though all of them are at reasonable clock speeds - that means mean any threading work done will have to keep in mind that there'll be virtually no benefit on some of our machines and probably even some negative impact if done naively.

As far as GPUs go we have a few people that might just be below the OpenGL 2.0 spec. I thought there'd be more though!

Those two seem to go hand-in-hand rather unsurprisingly with the majority enjoying at least a couple of cores and a good spread of everything from DirectX9 to DirectX11 GPU hardware.

Not sure quite what this will mean to developers but it's handy to know roughly what hardware you're targetting, does change some of the plans I had for the future :lol:
    @flufflyfreak, that card looks real nice, but I'm planning to get a better computer before too long. Last time I checked, ATI hadn't upgraded the drivers for mine in years.
    Marcel wrote:
    @flufflyfreak, that card looks real nice, but I'm planning to get a better computer before too long. Last time I checked, ATI hadn't upgraded the drivers for mine in years.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English Last updated: 24.2.2010
    Laptop - Alienware M17 R3

Windows 7 x64

Intel i7 processor

16GB RAM

256GB SSD hard drive (I strongly recommend getting yourself an SSD - makes the OS fly)

Radeon 6870 1GB graphics

Runs Pioneer like a dream (as you would expect with those hardware stats) - Max planet detail, medium city detail
    256GB SSD hard drive (I strongly recommend getting yourself an SSD - makes the OS fly)

Yup, gotta agree, best upgrade I've ever made was an Intel G2 80GB SSD as my boot drive when they were released :)
    Yup, gotta agree, best upgrade I've ever made was an Intel G2 80GB SSD as my boot drive when they were released :)

That must have cost an arm and a leg then :) I'm waiting for the cost to come down before I get one of those.

Although saying that, they are probably not much dearer now than my noisy 160GB raptor drive was that I currently use for my boot drive.

I installed one of the PCI ones on a nice i7 pc for someone though so I have an idea of how fast they can be :)

SSD + RAID ftw.... ;)

Runs Pioneer like a dream (as you would expect with those hardware stats) - Max planet detail, medium city detail

Just wait until you try a copy with terrain-threading enabled, you will be blown away :)
    s2odan wrote:
    That must have cost an arm and a leg then :) I'm waiting for the cost to come down before I get one of those.

Think it was a couple of hundred back then, so quite a bit. I'd still recommend one though, over and above most other upgrades especially CPU or ram unless you're really far behind the curve with those.
    Netbook (runs ok at Medium to High):

Arch Linux 64bit

AMD E-350 1.6Ghz

8GB DDR3

RadeonHD 6310 384-1024MB

Laptop (everything is set to highest and runs great except when looking back at a space-port just after take-off which can get a little choppy, the point at which you can see every single spaceport building at once):

Arch Linux 64bit

Intel i7-720QM

4GB DDR3

nVidia GT330M

Although I am about to replace the above laptop with:

Arch Linux 64bit

Intel i7-2630QM

8GB DDR3

nVidia GT540M

SSDs are a great investment, quite possibly the most noticeable way of boosting performance on a machine. Getting one depends on whether you can afford the amount of storage you will need though. 128GB ones are still around £160.
    Laptop - Alienware M17 R3

Windows 7 x64

Intel i7 processor

16GB RAM

Radeon 6870 1GB graphics

Don't know what's happened - must be some dodgy Windows update that has come down, but now Pioneer is no longer running like a dream. Oh it launches and plays, but now I am seeing a very noticable drop in my frames per second.

Even with graphics turned down to minimum, I'd estimate that I'm getting something like 15-20fps. Not happy. Time to do some snooping around to see if anything I've installed recently is responsible...
  • robnrobn Pioneer Developer

Don't know what's happened - must be some dodgy Windows update that has come down, but now Pioneer is no longer running like a dream. Oh it launches and plays, but now I am seeing a very noticable drop in my frames per second.

Same version of Pioneer as before, or different? ie, your fault or ours? :)
    robn wrote:

I've got Alpha 12 on my machine still, getting the same behaviour. I'm taking blame for this one, even though I've yet to determine what I did!!!!
    robn wrote:

I've got Alpha 12 on my machine still, getting the same behaviour. I'm taking blame for this one, even though I've yet to determine what I did!!!![/quote]

Don't know whether I should start a new thread for this...If a forum moderator sees fit to do so, then please be my guest.

As mentioned above, up until recently, Pioneer has run like a dream on my well provisioned laptop (Max planet detail, Mid city detail). Now I get a very low frame rate.

I've windowed Pioneer now, and am monitoring it's resource usage using Process Explorer:

It actually looks like win7 is changing Pioneer's processor affinity and selecting only one core. Pioneer should actually use 25% of your pc perhaps up to 28%, certainly 28 when rendering a detailed planet and calculating that perlin -> mesh stuff.

Un-edited it should use approx 2 and a little bit cores in the most extreme situations. The 'little bit' is the shaders AFAIK.

By contrast with my setup which is a quadcore intel q6600 I'll get up approx 55% usage in the extreme situations. Like highest detail on a detailed world maybe while fighting :)

Have you tried 13 yet?
    s2odan wrote:
    It actually looks like win7 is changing Pioneer's processor affinity and selecting only one core. Pioneer should actually use 25% of your pc perhaps up to 28%, certainly 28 when rendering a detailed planet and calculating that perlin -> mesh stuff.

Un-edited it should use approx 2 and a little bit cores in the most extreme situations. The 'little bit' is the shaders AFAIK.

By contrast with my setup which is a quadcore intel q6600 I'll get up approx 55% usage in the extreme situations. Like highest detail on a detailed world maybe while fighting :)

Have you tried 13 yet?

I'm seeing the crappy frame rate with Alpha 12 and 13, which actually leads me to think it's something external to Pioneer itself (I mean, both Alpha 12 and 13 have been observed to give excellent performance on my hardware).

I'll do some more fiddling around when I next get a chance and see if I can alter the number of cores being allocated...