frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hi Everyone

I think most of the major changes are done, I think. Now I will be just doing small stuff to improve security and hopefully make everything look better. :)

For help for existing users prior to website update read these posts:

Activating account:
http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/discussion/7019/troubleshooting-my-account-from-the-switch-over

Download Area Info
http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/discussion/7020/download-area-info

Please post to the administration area if you have any problems:
http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/categories/ssc-administration

-D1-

Humble suggestion

edited 2:51PM in Pioneer
While wandering on a distant planet, flying at 500 meters above the ground, I was telling myself that it would be great to suddenly discover an ancient artefact/alien city ruins, or those kind of thing.

So, I think it could be a very cool feature to have mission like "fly to planet X and find a proof of ancient alien civilization". All the player has to do is flying to the planet and fly near the old city. Of course, planets are real size and it will be very hard to find this city. Maybe a detector could help. But even without a detector, it would be great to know we are flying on a planet where a mystery is hiding ! For me it's a key feature...

Maybe this feature is already in the game, I don't know because the few hours I play with Pioneer was only to fly near planet, without trying a single mission !

Gfamad

Comments

• BrianettaBrianetta Pioneer Developer
    edited 2:51PM
    This idea is one we've heard before. It might happen one day, but since we're not really planning to have alien races in the game, and that alien races would therefore necessarily live far away, you can expect missions like this to be rare, and random artefacts to be non-existent.
  • edited 2:51PM
    I am not fan of alien factions in game,

but the idea of Ruins and alien artifacs is something exciting to me in a space exploration game like this. I consider artifacts and ruins a remanent of dead species, archaeology, and an incentive to make surface missions and visit the planets.

Of course it would be absurd every planet had ruins.

Greetings
    Thanks for your replies.

Of course, I was not talking about alien races, but only old abandoned structure. And it's obvious, they should be uncommon.

And it's a more powerful idea to put those structure without any alien races in the game ! Why ? Well, think of a world with multi-species. Well finding an alien structure won't be a surprise.

But now think about our world today, and imagine a space mission discovering a strange structure on mars ! That would be a very strange thing !

That's the idea here: No implicit reference to aliens, no aliens in the game, but on some few planets, a strange structure. You take a "photo" and sell it to a journalist that give you the quest.

I really think it could be a good motivation to wander on planets.

Another thought: Even if there is a structure like this on each planet, it's always uncommon because imagine how it could be difficult to find a building on a real size planet !!!!

Gfamad
    I think there are more believable motivations for exploring planets (unless you're Richard Hoagland).
    lol ! Well, we are speaking of a game, not of the reality ! Even if sometime I read "news" on Mars Anomaly for fun !
    I'd like to see ruins and artefacts too, but something like the Thargoids doesn't seem to really fit anymore.

However, it certainly an option and there's no reason a willing developer couldn't have an "Aliens: on/off" option :lol:
    Brianetta wrote:
    I think there are more believable motivations for exploring planets (unless you're Richard Hoagland).

Believable or not believable archeological missions would be one more motivator. Another one could be mining. Is not pioneer space opera?

Greetings!
    Prospecting and mining, definitely. Also, since people seem to want to settle on planets for some weird reason, there's the hunt for habitable planets with appropriate resources in the same system (gas giants, asteroids, whatever). That's basically money for exploring.
    Brianetta wrote:
    Prospecting and mining, definitely. Also, since people seem to want to settle on planets for some weird reason, there's the hunt for habitable planets with appropriate resources in the same system (gas giants, asteroids, whatever). That's basically money for exploring.

Could you provide more details on this "settling on planets thing", or provide a link where others have talked about it?
    bchimself wrote:
    Could you provide more details on this "settling on planets thing", or provide a link where others have talked about it?

I refer the honourable gentleman to the internet at large. Extra-solar expansion is almost always posited in terms of terraforming and/or settling planets, something I regard as being a completely backwards approach to progress.

To further expand on this, in the game itself there are many examples of settled planets. It stands to reason that settling planets is somehow desirable in the Pioneer universe (otherwise there would only be space based habitation), which leads logically on to the idea of planetary information in advance of settlement being valuable.
    Brianetta wrote:
    bchimself wrote:

I refer the honourable gentleman to the internet at large. Extra-solar expansion is almost always posited in terms of terraforming and/or settling planets, something I regard as being a completely backwards approach to progress.

To further expand on this, in the game itself there are many examples of settled planets. It stands to reason that settling planets is somehow desirable in the Pioneer universe (otherwise there would only be space based habitation), which leads logically on to the idea of planetary information in advance of settlement being valuable.

Ah, i see. I thought you were talking about something a bit more specific, like someone who plays pioneer and chooses one system to sit in and build up cash via trade/mining/missions.
    Yes, as an old SF nerd, I think this would be wonderful. I'm enjoying the hard SF feel of Pioneer (having enjoyed Frontier back when it came out.) However, I did find the gameplay of Frontier a little repetitive, and I liked the FFE Thargoid arc. Horses for courses though, many people prefer Frontier.

I'd love to see relics of old alien civilisations - maybe civilisations on other worlds didn't make it, leaving cratered terrestrial planets locked in a nuclear winter, with a few spooky monuments and ruins around.

Perhaps, other civilisations 'trascedned' (ala Iain M Banks) to the next plane of existence leaving mysterious and valued technology (ala Stephen Baxter Xeelee stories/Niven/Pohl's Gateway etc) that could prove interesting for missions. Various mysterious mega structures/Big Dumb Objects floating around and perhaps even some evidence of aliens playing galactic bar billiards (think engineered solar systems) could be left by these Ancients.

This fits with the age of the galaxy - in billions of years many civilisations could have grown up, died or ventured into some other plane of existence without us ever meeting them. In fact, the idea of encountering aliens at roughly the same level of development give or take a few centuries (Klingons, Thargoids, Kzinti etc) is unlikely.

While aliens in visual sf (due to budget etc) tend to be the rubber forehead type, there's loads of more mysterious and intriguing types in written SF. I'd love to see some of this stuff in a game rather than the usual warring galactic powers, ravening monsters or primitive tribespeople cliches.

Both things could be implemented without the need of actual present alines in the universe, and I think would add a lot to the texture and atmosphere of the game wihtout damaging its essential character. What do you think?
    nah, but i intented such long ago, but since the scripting has get to sophisticated for me i had to simply FORGET that. :mrgreen:

that's somehow sad we get in a direction where only developers are able to realize such and if it's not in their will you will never see it.

sorry for the hard words, but it's a fact.

i havn't planned a big thing back then, just a simply search for "item X", with some hint's scattered in several places.

basically the "Stardust" was ment as "item X", you would have to find that ancient ship and carry it "home".

but like i said i had to forget all of that, because i'm not a programmer.

it's left up to them now (unfortunately) and user made scripts are imo out of reach.

i was told how i dare to know what a gamer likes...

it seems i simply feel it, i'm a gamer at first, then a modeler, at last a programmer (even not).

i've made long time ago some simple scripts for RailRoadTycoon, of course it has a frontend to do it and it's really simple and very limited through that.

but i guess both scripts i made are cool, heavy to solve and offer a lot of fun, even when i play them myself i don't know how they end.

that is because of a lot of random stuff and i implemented some for me typical traps (i punished greed).

i like such, i like random occasions, i like to teach (punish greed) and i like situations that never appear the same or where you have to find each time a new solution.

because i hate situations/problems that i can solve with memorizing the last attempt, that's boring imo.

dependencies appear always the same, random generated stuff is easy to do and appears never the same.

to sad i removed them from my site since a while, else if you still own RRT2 you could have made proof of it.

guess...

there is something else i really hate, "google knowledge".

when i did the scripts back then i had nothing, no web, only a rough guideline in english...

all the rest was out of my ****** brain.

yes, it was possible only with "stupid" try and error, but that's still better rather "google knowledge".
    potsmoke66 wrote:
    nah, but i intented such long ago, but since the scripting has get to sophisticated for me i had to simply FORGET that. :mrgreen:

that's somehow sad we get in a direction where only developers are able to realize such and if it's not in their will you will never see it.

sorry for the hard words, but it's a fact.

Sometimes that's fair, but this is always a problem with development even on commercial games.

You make all these plans for the main game, your set of "minimum deliverables" and then you have a second list of things that add to the gameplay with another feature perhaps and then you have your "wishlist". You only ever get to the wishlist stuff when you've absolutely eliminated everything else - either by implementing it, or deciding that you don't have time to implement it, and then you pick something really simple and small from the wishlist. usually by that time though you're considering ripping features OUT to get things finished on time and without bugs :oops:

potsmoke66 wrote:

i havn't planned a big thing back then, just a simply search for "item X", with some hint's scattered in several places.

basically the "Stardust" was ment as "item X", you would have to find that ancient ship and carry it "home".

i was told how i dare to know what a gamer likes...

it seems i simply feel it, i'm a gamer at first, then a modeler, at last a programmer (even not).

Finding ships, technology and other "stuff" in the game would be cool, from my point of view obviously. Hell I did the whole Orbital test-branch for that purpose :mrgreen: :lol:

It's something that I'd really like to see, little hints of something/someone else out there, or long gone. Perhaps "sublimed" like in Banks' Culture novels, or just died out in time and only relics left. I don't know how it would be best to go about doing that though.
    Orbital test branch? whatwhat?? Haha cool.