Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hi Everyone

I think most of the major changes are done, I think. Now I will be just doing small stuff to improve security and hopefully make everything look better. :)

For help for existing users prior to website update read these posts:

Activating account:
http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/discussion/7019/troubleshooting-my-account-from-the-switch-over

Download Area Info
http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/discussion/7020/download-area-info

Please post to the administration area if you have any problems:
http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/categories/ssc-administration

-D1-

Gameplay survey - please give us feedback

edited January 2014 in Pioneer

With the 2014 01 16 build of Pioneer, the stats and performances of the spaceships got a long needed overhaul (they were quite inconsistent for a while).

We'd like to ask our players to give use feedback about how these ships handle and perform in different situations, and how hard is the game generally, ow much time is needed for traveling, etc.

This will help us tailor the game to be more entertaining and challenging.

So I'd like to ask you guys and gals to fill out this short survey. You can fill out any times you want, like when you've bought a new ship or encountered a tough opponent or a rough landing for example. The more data we get, better our perspective will be.

I will review this regularly, so don't hesitate to fill it out even if this topic is a year old. :)

You will notice that most of the ships got nerfed a bit, so no more 30G accelerations and 60 000 km/s deltaV-s with a few tonnes of propellant. Ranges (deltaV) can vary a lot depending on the amount of cargo in the hold.

Thank you for your help!

Szilárd

Tagged:

Comments

• edited 4:36PM

Is not better ask only 1 question every week ?

I'm aiming for an overview for now, but we can be more specific later. And this way we can compare things continuously, so we see the effects easier especially if we change something later.

Hi there Nozmajner

I downloaded the 18/1/2014 version and am testing it out.

Some quick feedback:

I was surprised that CTRL-M no longer works as we really needed this so we can test out other ships plus to load up our ship to save some grinding time :) if that could be reinstated that would be great. I cheked the doc files just in case there is another key but could not see anything there nor in any menu for adding money for testing.

I noticed the star dreamer now take a long long long long time the AU distances take a fair slog now to get there via autopilot.  I thought this could be because of the standard ship we start with now, this is why I wanted to try a different ship but the CTRL-M no longer works to get $ to buy a new ship.......

Anyway I'll keep testing, hopefully we can get CTRL-M back for testing :hi:

Have not done the survey yet, I wanted to play a little more.

Great work...........lots of differences........... :hi:

regards

• robnrobn Pioneer Developer
    edited 4:36PM

I was surprised that CTRL-M no longer works as we really needed this so we can test out other ships plus to load up our ship to save some grinding time :)

Try this instead. Open the console with your backtick/tilde key, and type:

import("Game").player:AddMoney(9999999999)
  • edited January 2014

Yes, it's slower because deltaV-s got reduced generally. Especially for ships like the Xylophis, which is intended to be a short range craft (the long hyperspace range is a happy accident due to it's low mass).

I'm testing too, and I was able to make quite a few deliveries with the starting ship (I removed the blaster though). I usually load up with some water too, that can cut your travel times, if you refuel midflight, and continue thrusting for a while then switch back to autopilot. Just keep an eye on your deltaV when you are doing that: your speed shouldn't exceed your deltaV reserve, and you should keep several hundred km/s in the tanks for orbital insertion and landing.

This command could be useful too:

import("Game").player:SetShipType("name")

Where the name is the filename of the .lua file you find in the data/ships folder.

Thanks for the testing and feedback :)

• GeraldineGeraldine SSC Supporter
    edited 4:36PM

I hope you are getting plenty of feedback nozmajner. I will give the survey another bump when I do my monthly update on ModDB

• edited January 2014

Try this instead. Open the console with your backtick/tilde key, and type:

import("Game").player:AddMoney(9999999999)

Thank you so much Robn. I'll try that today when testing. It will really help test out other features, larger ships etc. Cheers  :hi:

Yes, it's slower because deltaV-s got reduced generally. Especially for ships like the Xylophis, which is intended to be a short range craft (the long hyperspace range is a happy accident due to it's low mass).

I'm testing too, and I was able to make quite a few deliveries with the starting ship (I removed the blaster though). I usually load up with some water too, that can cut your travel times, if you refuel midflight, and continue thrusting for a while then switch back to autopilot. Just keep an eye on your deltaV when you are doing that: your speed shouldn't exceed your deltaV reserve, and you should keep several hundred km/s in the tanks for orbital insertion and landing.

This command could be useful too:

import("Game").player:SetShipType("name")

Where the name is the filename of the .lua file you find in the data/ships folder.

Thanks for the testing and feedback :)

Hello Nozmanjer,

Thank YOU and the AMAZING Pioneer development team for giving us the opportunity. As Robn might tell you I have been playing this for a good while now.

Thank you very much for the console command.

Yes I understand the default ship is more a short range craft but yes it is great that the hyperspace range is considerable due to it's mass :biggrin:  When I looked at the hyperspace range and the missions I thought 'ahh I'll never get that far' but yes.....I think that was fantastic.

I did 4 package delivery missions and made them all no problem thanks to the hyperspace range. All worked well. Now with Robn's console command I'll add money and test out different ships.   :hi:

Another thing I noticed is the first few times I crashed whilst taking off. I see that has changes as well. I used to get clearance, turn off manual, pitch up and thrust, now of course I need to be careful as I can easily get out of control there as it takes time to pitch as it SHOULD of course as I am in a gravity environment.  Still, PERFECT I thought. Harder sure but an improvement :good:  I thought I'd try just my "up" thrusters but that caused me to go out of control as well...ooops.........oh well. I must keep at it Commanders!

Well I'll keep testing, I hope you get lots more feedback here. I'll push it as much as I can for people to get involved. I'll be doing the survey as well and putting comments together in a document. I see the survey can be done multiple times all based on the timestamp of the ingame clock.

Cheers again wonderful lovely talented Pioneer team :hi:

Warmest regards

Styggron

Very good...have you thought about not just doing a remake of frontier or ffe? I just think its a bit of a waste you've built this cool engine, with decent graphics, but IMO you are copying stuff off the originals that was not very good to start with.

Two areas of braben´s work which for me were always pretty crap. His cockpit and control panel design, with those horrendous buttons on the dashboard which made no sense. Actually seeing ED, he has not improved in this department, i guess its a taste thing. 

So you've more or less changed the buttons to be slightly more intuitive, but its the whole system of the buttons that is wrong..totally wrong.

I´m really just nitpicking, but i still cant figure out why you just dont go and make something much better than Frontier or FFE...

Very good...have you thought about not just doing a remake of frontier or ffe? I just think its a bit of a waste you've built this cool engine, with decent graphics, but IMO you are copying stuff off the originals that was not very good to start with.

Two areas of braben´s work which for me were always pretty crap. His cockpit and control panel design, with those horrendous buttons on the dashboard which made no sense. Actually seeing ED, he has not improved in this department, i guess its a taste thing. 

So you've more or less changed the buttons to be slightly more intuitive, but its the whole system of the buttons that is wrong..totally wrong.

I´m really just nitpicking, but i still cant figure out why you just dont go and make something much better than Frontier or FFE...

Actually we're not a clone of FFE / Frontier.

Many years ago the project started off as using them as a template for TomM to learn about OpenGL, C++ and hwo to make a game like them but the two things that you've mentioned are some of the last remaining vestiges that we are in the process of getting rid off! :D

We've got an experimental 3D cockpit in the works that you can turn on in the options, the sector view and other old screens are going to be reworked - once they're gone the old GUI will be entirely removed, the HUD with the control panel and buttons along the bottom will be removed too and there's a couple of threads discussing a new HUD design over on the developer forums.

I#ll be glad when it's gone and that last link is broken so people stop thinking we're just a clone.

Actually we're not a clone of FFE / Frontier.

Many years ago the project started off as using them as a template for TomM to learn about OpenGL, C++ and hwo to make a game like them but the two things that you've mentioned are some of the last remaining vestiges that we are in the process of getting rid off! :D

We've got an experimental 3D cockpit in the works that you can turn on in the options, the sector view and other old screens are going to be reworked - once they're gone the old GUI will be entirely removed, the HUD with the control panel and buttons along the bottom will be removed too and there's a couple of threads discussing a new HUD design over on the developer forums.

I#ll be glad when it's gone and that last link is broken so people stop thinking we're just a clone.

Ok brilliant to hear it! 

So are you going to write a backstory to the universe with news or are you planning on keeping it storyless and just freeform explore, make your own adventure type of thing?

You know what would be really cool, is a zoom upgrade for combat hud. I find in combat the ships seems really small except when they are totally close up. It would be realistic to have ab upgrade that gives you a zoom feature in the hud on targeting hostile. 

anyways lookiing forward to future dev!

• edited August 2014

Controlling the ship is a pain in the rear in without crashing. In space games I like being able to check out planets and moons and it is impossible to do it right if I can not look straight down as I take off, land, or look straight at the planet as I orbit around it. when I am looking from the point of view of the ship like first person I really like when the camera is separate controls than the ship so I do not start moving around against my will. I also would like to be able to go forward in the direction that I am looking in for first person. more often than not when I press up to go forward in first person view I go backwards or just keep going in a tangent to the planet or moon that I am trying to land on. I also notice that whenever I do manage to land successfully I always am inside the planet or moon and see though it  and I often can not stop moving! I would like to be able to more easily land on planets and moons without crashing into them or go flying off into space with no way to change my course. I also would like to be able to control the camera in first person view even when I am in autopilot without being unable to move the view or change direction. I use right click and drag to move camera. I also need to add in that I noticed a huge mistake for earth and mars! Earth is labeled as an ice planet and the solar system view shows mars with Earth's geography and is bigger than Earth. I also would prefer if moons were called moons. I think it would be much easier and enjoyable to be able to control the ship in first person mode and as I move the view I change the direction that I face only and do not roll around or change angle at all. hope the ship controls are improved so I can land easily and the labeling is fixed. hope my feedback helps! I am playing Aug, 3 2014 update.

I suggest you to read the wiki. Expecially "keyboard and mouse controls" (because, yes, you can look straight down while landing... and you can also define you own keymap) and the Tutorials (even if they are outdated).
    Flying in pioneer is harder than in many other space games, because the engine is based on newtonian physics.
    http://pioneerwiki.com/wiki/Pioneer_Wiki

1 battle mechanics - challenging but i get used to it. (missing beam weapons)

problems: interface. near crosshair its shows distance and how fast you are approaching to target. and that numbers can switching places. its confuses in battle.

And I don’t see any cargo left from enemies

2 missions - I liked Search and Rescue missions been added, its my favorite for now.

Proposal: add discovery missions, like “check asteroid”, “scan unknowns system”, “scan unknowns ship”, “respond for unknowns signal” and respond for SOS signal

3 navigating – Has some issues .

problems: in planetarium hard to navigate, its took to long to zoom, doesn’t show entirely orbits that confuses.

4 traveling - ( my personal^  I don’t like the compressing time idea, I would like to see some sort of “supercruise” mechanic)

problems: fuel scooping is tricky, its heard to understand when it will start. It need some sort interface for that. And I missing scooping from stars.

5 planet landing – its pointless. waiting for mining rear and expensive materials (not ice and metals like in frontier) or searching for precursors materials on planet.

May be scanning mechanic like in “space rangers” ))))