frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hi Everyone

I think most of the major changes are done, I think. Now I will be just doing small stuff to improve security and hopefully make everything look better. :)

For help for existing users prior to website update read these posts:

Activating account:
http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/discussion/7019/troubleshooting-my-account-from-the-switch-over

Download Area Info
http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/discussion/7020/download-area-info

Please post to the administration area if you have any problems:
http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/categories/ssc-administration

-D1-

Chocolate flavoured galaxy

Comments

• BrianettaBrianetta Pioneer Developer
    edited 2:53PM
    Bear in mind that this terrain will be very bright; just as with real stars, you're unlikely to see the detail without a serious filter. We can assume that the space ship has such a filter.

Such a filter would hide any protuberances, as well as background stars, planets, etc, since they're relatively very dark. Unless we add unrealistically bright ones.
  • s2odans2odan Pioneer Developer & Moderator
    For now we can assume it has some kind of dynamic filter ;)

Here's a clip orbiting a star quite close :

Do you think prominences will ever be added in the future?

We'll probably try at some point to do something like this :) But to do it properly probably needs a nice shader with some noise.
  • edited 2:53PM
    Wow! When I think things are about as good as can be, you come up with something substantially better! :D Pioneer is like an addictive drug, in a way. One scores the latest alpha, or even better the latest nightly build, and it's great! Then you see that the next version is going to be even better so you can't wait to download that. Over and over again with a better and better high each time! :lol: Fortunately, the only side effects I experienced are mental exercises, attempting to add a bit of flavor to the batch, resulting in slightly improved brain function and a feeling of intimacy with complete strangers who happen to share the same addiction. ;)

I like the star textures a lot, but I think that you'll have to include prominences, or use the default Pioneer star glow thingy to make it work.

I noticed a new Milky Way band. It's a slight improvement. Less artificial looking than the last.

Also, nice music. Schubert?
    Hehe thanks, good ear it is Schubert Symphony No. 8.

Yeah that vid was taken before any of the old star shaders had been re-activated like the halo and the spikes, it was just a terrain shader and some bright colours passed to the shader. Rob recently reactivated the spikes and halo for regular shaders and I just had a mess around with HDR and managed to get that working too :

IG4X3.jpg

7L17A.jpg
    Now, that's hot! With the proper shimmer applied, yikes! One thought, the hull temperature appears to be nominal. Does the proximity to a star affect this? If not, it should.

(putting on my shades) 8-)
  • robnrobn Pioneer Developer
    Marcel wrote:
    One thought, the hull temperature appears to be nominal. Does the proximity to a star affect this? If not, it should.

It will. Up until now stars have pretty much been a giant no-op as far as gameplay is concerned. We'll start adding in atmospheric effects, heat, etc once this work starts to settle.
  • GeraldineGeraldine SSC Supporter
    edited October 2012
    "Marcel" wrote:
    Now, that's hot! With the proper shimmer applied, yikes! One thought, the hull temperature appears to be nominal. Does the proximity to a star affect this? If not, it should.

I think s2odan had his ship specially equipped with unobtanium heat shielding for those beautiful shots ;)

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Unobtainium
    Geraldine wrote:
    Marcel wrote:

I think s2odan had his ship specially equipped with unobtanium heat shielding for those beautiful shots ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

The very words I used last night!

I provided a saved game file with a near perfectly circular orbit at 700,000km from Sol's centre, but s20dan's orbital skills aren't far off my own, and the video was filmed from his own orbital approach.

The surface if the Sun is now, for all practical purposes, a solid surface. I don't believe it allows landing, but even if it did you wouldn't be able to do so. A powered descent from this orbit can't be done (the engines just can't kill off all that speed). The only chance would be an insanely long powered descent from outer space, which might work, but only if we continue not to require fuel.

Getting down here from the autopilot's medium orbit (it blankly refused to try a low one) required between three and four hundred km/s delta V, and that's the most fuel efficient approach there is.
    I was playing around with the shaders again last night, Trying to fake some different effects.

So this is like the square of a glow... basically its more dependant on the colours around it so light colours glow lots more than dark which gives the flame-like halo:

Following a post on the Frontier Forum in my "Pioneer" thread, someone asked if it would be possible one day to convert Frontier save games into Pioneer ones. I think it would be difficult to say the least. However perhaps a "Buffet styled" editor might be about to do the job instead? Does the devs think that such an editor might exist one day? If so, it would be easy to just copy your stats from Frontier over to a new Pioneer save game. This is not a feature request, just asking if it could be a "maybe" one day. :)
    Thats quite an interesting idea. It would be difficult in the sense that we no longer have an exact clone of the game, there will likely be more factions and already the galaxy is a different size and shape with different systems. I don't seen any reason why a buffet style editor couldn't be used or created in the future, although it might not even be needed. If save files were to be kept in a more easily understandable form then it would simply be a matter of editing that file with notepad :)
    Save game conversion is never going to happen - the two games are just too different. I'm not sure exactly what Buffet is, but I can guess. That's feasible, but if all we want is the ability to edit ship stats then a Lua script is the right way to do it. Scripts can already change the ship registration and colours and modify equipment and cargo. Once #404 is implemented it'll be possible to change ship type from script as well. Is there anything significant that is needed after that?
    Thanks for the input guys! :) Yes I guessed that a straight conversion couldn't happen as even the game's universe is starting to divert from Frontier's original one, not to mention all the other things too.

Buffet is the rather cool editor for FFE3D. It works by modding a save game while it is active in memory and not the game itself. Anyways I will put your answer down on the Frontier Forum as a maybe then, using scripts?
    edited October 2012
    Your definitely heading in the right direction with this s2odan! :) That last one,.....the brown dwarf :shock: With a little tweak here and there and you could turn that into a Neutron star! I have only one thing to say..............
    robn wrote:
    Once #404 is implemented it'll be possible to change ship type from script as well.

I did this today. To pretend to load a Frontier save, the only thing I can think of is a way to teleport the player object into any arbitrary system. This would also let us mess about with Thargoid transporters...
    s2odan wrote:
    A nice new way of adding snow and ice areas on mountains :

Looking good ! :P
  • WOW! those pics looks awesome, nice one!
    edited October 2012
    Anyone fancy a snowball fight? :) Great work s2odan.

Also, M-Saunders on the Frontier Forum informed me (post 101) that Alpha 14 has been added to Linux Format's coverdisc. Here is a link http://forums.fronti... ... #post20199
    Geraldine wrote:
    Anyone fancy a snowball fight? :) Great work s2odan.

Also, M-Saunders on the Frontier Forum informed me (post 101) that Alpha 14 has been added to Linux Format's coverdisc. Here is a link http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread ... #post20199

Wow. That issue should also feature my Linux User Group! I'm *so* buying that issue.
    any ideas for "content" additions to the polar regions for mining id say water, water ice and other perhaps cold deposits of minerals. Polar planets could produce cold weather vechiles and water products or something along those lines
    Star terrain work is nearly finished, and should make alpha 15. This brown dwarf looks great!

swI6h.jpg
    any asteroid lovin ?
  • polar ice caps looks great, just downloaded the latest source and compiled it, those icecaps look awesome, well done on a job well done, Earth looks a lot better with the icecaps
    I'm surprised we'll still have them by 3200
  • yeah true, the way things are going, we might not have them, but this could be an alternative timeline and who knows what differences there could be
    Also, M-Saunders on the Frontier Forum informed me (post 101) that Alpha 14 has been added to Linux Format's coverdisc.

That's very good news! I'm glad to see Pioneer is getting the attention it deserves. Nice new screenshots by the way, s20dan!