Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Alfa14 produces runtime error on startup

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    Participant

It doesn’t sound normal at all to get that much of a performance hit between alpha9 and 14. Performance should have improved, providing settings are equal.. Basically you should get noticably better performance than alpha 9 with these settings:

Distance : Normal/Medium

Fractal Detail: Normal/medium

Textures: Off

This is about the equivalent to Planet detail High in previous alphas.

Textures is a big hit on performance which is why its optional. (They aren’t true textures but rather procedural fractals for complete randomness, this requires CPU time)

Try this one out Bob and let me know if there is any improvment in performance, I have a theory…. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9655550/pioneer.7z

Quote:
    I wasn’t expecting any forrests at all. Are there forrests in the new generator? coooool…

Pseudo forrests made with the textures, no actual trees yet. Its just a feature you will see from orbit, or during flight. At ground level its just a pattern on the ground 😉

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

Participant
    Quote:
    Textures is a big hit on performance which is why its optional. (They aren’t true textures but rather procedural fractals for complete randomness, this requires CPU time)

Thanks, there was my problem. Obviously that innocent setting managed to clog up my CPU so badly that pretty much nothing went anymore generating-wise. Are you planning to shove off some of the generators load to the GPU in the future?

Participant

I’d like to but my latest experiments using GPU generated noise left a lot to be desired 😉 So it will be a while yet. Fluffy freak and Luomu probably(do) know a lot more about it than me so they might end up having a go.

Although I recently optimised textures somewhat to use a lot less CPU time, in-fact I think that .7z file I posted has those changes in it.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.