Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Alpha 14 released

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    Participant

The Pioneer development team are pleased to announce the release of Pioneer alpha 14. Builds for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux are available for download from the download page. This release features a new 3D galaxy view, a complex trade ships AI and in-system delivery missions.

New features

* 3D galaxy (#394, #429)

* Trade ships AI. Ships now dock, undock, hyperspace and buy and sell things (#412, #11, #448)

* Delivery missions to other starports in the same system (#388)

* Press CTRL while clicking time acceleration buttons to override the lockout due to nearby bodies (#417, #358)

* Settings to adjust terrain textures and fractal detail (#442, #416)

* Polish translation (#443)

* Lua attribute SBody.parent to find the parent of a system body (#359, #368)

* Lua methods Player.SetNavTarget and Player.SetCombatTarget to let script control player targets (#422, #444)

* Overdue deliveries will now be checked and reported as “failed” immediately after hyperspace (#445)

Fixes

* Remove a couple of hardcoded references to the data directory (#363)

* Fix crash when closing police form triggered from inside a advert (#371, #372)

* Fix occasional crash in DeliverPackage when cleaning up old ads (#123, #379)

* Fix inverted mouse control (#389)

* Tweak to texture scaling to make edges sharper (#391)

* Fix occasional crash when rendering certain hill terrains (#364)

* Fix flickering when HDR enabled (#266, #401)

* Fix crash when trying to display tooltips when their parent UI element is no long on screen (#59, #410)

* Disable thrusters when docking (#409, #418) and in hyperspace (#431)

* Restore NPC (Lua) hyperspace functions (#414, #362, #269, #426)

* Fix bug where NPC flight state was not reset upon exiting hyperspace

* Nereid now has a radius and can be found

* Don’t allow scripts to jettison non-existent cargo (#430)

* Fix crash when selecting own hyperspace cloud remnant (#427)

* Fix occasional autopilot crash into planet (#424)

* Fix buy/sell message output (#452, #288)

Internal changes

* Lots of internal cleanups; silences many warnings under GCC (#373, #375, #389, #392, #383, #399) and MSVC (#434, #435, #436)

* New utility functions for floating-point comparisons (#389)

* Dump Lua engine state to file on exception in Lua module (#370)

* Lua documentation fixes (#380, #403, #475)

* Abstracted the HDR rendering pipeline into discrete components (#396)

* New string formatting system for translations and other strings (#405, #449)

* Gracefully handle attempts to load old savefiles (#428)

* Redirect stdio output streams to files in user dir. Do this by default on Windows builds.

* Use SDL mouse button defines instead of hardcoded numbers (#446)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

Participant

Thanks!

I’d like to build this for myself in Mac OSX. How much do the instructions in the Compile pioneer page apply to building for Mac?

Participant
    ElectricSkies wrote:
    I’d like to build this for myself in Mac OSX. How much do the instructions in the Compile pioneer page apply to building for Mac?

I think it doesn’t for the most part. See COMPILING.OSX.txt. Our OS X guy (Philbywhizz) hasn’t been around much lately (also why there’s no OS X build yet) so the XCode project might be slightly out of date (missing new files). If it doesn’t work for you the GNU way should work.

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Great news robn. Looking forward to trying this one out with the new map! 😎

Participant

Sadly, it seems pointless playing because if you save a game in A14 (and i noticed this in the previous nightly build) and then subsequently try to load it, it gives you the “this save contains errors” message.

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Confirmed, saved games refuse to load. Could this have something to do with the music player? The game reported something like unable to determine music player state. I also tried turning off the music, but got the same error. Otherwise this is a great release. Has something been done to the ship controls? Flying around “feels” better 🙂 Also the game reports on the title screen it is Alpha 15!

Participant

I cannot reproduce it on master, even if I enable sound and music, sfx is playing.

Change DisableSound to 1 in config.ini and it should make game load, but you will get no sound/music/sfx…

Participant

I noticed i didn’t visited Europa in last nightly builds, didn’t visited it since a while actually.

So after getting Alpha 14, i went right to it, and well it’s rather weird but i don’t know if it is intended or if it is a bug to report, is Europa supposed to look like this .

From orbit :

YNvUf.jpg

From flying close :

3DLh5.jpg

I have not noticed other planets/moon/asteroid doing that on the few i visited in Alpha 14.

Participant

We are aware of Europa’s 35km high cliffs. (-:

Participant
    durandal wrote:
    I cannot reproduce it on master, even if I enable sound and music, sfx is playing.

Change DisableSound to 1 in config.ini and it should make game load, but you will get no sound/music/sfx…

Did that, still getting this save contain errors.

Tried making a brand new fresh save and then loading it immediately after (with DisableSound set to 1 before launching the game) came back with the same thing.

Also got this in the STDerr file

Quote:
    Game saved to ‘C:\Users\Username\Documents/Pioneer/savefiles//test’

Savefile version 30. This saved game cannot be loaded because it contains errors.

Could it be because of the flipped around and doubled slashes messing with the game?

Participant

There’s a couple of issues at play here. One is that I accidently built a 15dev build and released is at alpha 14 (14 has savefile version 29, so the “version 30” thing is a giveaway). The other issue is that there’s a bug in 15dev right now that’s breaking game loads.

I’m doing a rebuild right now. I will repack alpha 14 and make a single binary available so you don’t have to re-download the entire thing. I’ll post again here when that’s done.

Participant

I noticed that the terrain loading seems considerably slower in alpha 14…

Participant

Ok, the builds on the download page have been updated. If you already downloaded alpha 14 then you can just grab the binaries:

pioneer-alpha14.exe (Windows, 41MB)

pioneer-alpha14 (Linux, 1.8MB)

Note that these will not load save files from the “original” alpha 14. As I said before, it was actually a later developement build and has a couple of internal differences that make the save files incompatible.

Participant

Got this error when starting a new game with the new exe

Quote:
    nError: data/modules/TradeShips.lua:39: couldn’t find constant with name ‘SHIELD’ in namespace ‘EquipSlot’

stack traceback:

[C]: in function ‘GetEquipCount’

data/modules/TradeShips.lua:39: in function ‘addShipEquip’

data/modules/TradeShips.lua:297: in function ‘spawnInitialShips’

data/modules/TradeShips.lua:668: in function

Error: data/modules/TradeShips.lua:39: couldn’t find constant with name ‘SHIELD’ in namespace ‘EquipSlot’

stack traceback:

Gonna get the repackaged alpha 14 and try that and then see what happens.

Tried it with the repackaged alpha 14 and got

Quote:
    Error: data/modules/TradeShips.lua:39: couldn’t find constant with name ‘SHIELD’ in namespace ‘EquipSlot’

stack traceback:

stack traceback:

[C]: in function ‘GetEq[/qu]te

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant
    robn wrote:
    Ok, the builds on the download page have been updated. If you already downloaded alpha 14 then you can just grab the binaries:

pioneer-alpha14.exe (Windows, 41MB)

pioneer-alpha14 (Linux, 1.8MB)

Note that these will not load save files from the “original” alpha 14. As I said before, it was actually a later developement build and has a couple of internal differences that make the save files incompatible.

Thank you robn! 🙂 I will give that a try and update my post on the Frontier Forum too if it works 😉

EDIT: Using just the new exe, save games wil still not load. Also starting a new game creates this new error report

“ERROR:data/modules/tradeships.lua:39: could’nt find constant with name `SHIELD` in namespace `EquipSlot`

[C]: in function `GetEquipCount` data/modules/TradeShips.lua:39: in function `addShipEquip`

data/modules/TradeShips.lua:297: in function `spawn InitialShip`

data/modules/TradeShips.lua:668: in function “

Going to try downloading the full packaged version again

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.