Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Alpha 14 released

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    Participant

The new windows binary applied on the “bad build” lead into this error after selecting your starting point (and i tried the new build and it does the same error too) :

NwGwJ.jpg

And once clicking OK, it crashes with a runtime error.

The windows version of the “bad build” didn’t have this error.

edit : just noticed someone posted the error message already.

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant
    Robsoie wrote:
    edit : just noticed someone posted the error message already.

No worries Robsoie, too much information on a crash is better than none at all. It all helps the devs 😉

Oh, and welcome to the SSC 🙂

Edit:

Tried out the full package and getting the same error when staring a new game. Also, getting this error when loading a save game:

Error: data/modules.TradeShips.lua:411: bad argument 0 `pairs` (table expected, got nil)

stack traceback

[C]: in function `pairs`

data/modules/Assassination.lua:411: in function

Edit Mk2: Oh 😳 just noticed robn said the older save files would’nt work with the new exe.

Participant

That’s a known bug that was fixed a few days ago but didn’t make the deadline for alpha 14. A workaround is to delete lines 39-47 from data/modules/TradeShips.lua.

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Thanks again robn, I will try that 😉

Hey robn, thats fixed it. Old games still wont load, but new one will and it also starts up as normal now too! 😀 Many thanks, I will post those fixes on the Frontier Forum. If I dont they might get a bit tetchy 😆

Participant

Yeah, old games don’t load – we’re bumping the save version about every week at the moment. The joys of fast-paced development 🙂

Participant

@Geraldine, thanks for the welcome

robn wrote:
    That’s a known bug that was fixed a few days ago but didn’t make the deadline for alpha 14. A workaround is to delete lines 39-47 from data/modules/TradeShips.lua.

I deleted those lines (i think that’s the ones ?)

Quote:

if ship:GetEquipCount(‘SHIELD’, ‘SHIELD_GENERATOR’) == 0 and

Engine.rand:Number(1) – 0.1 < lawlessness then

local num = math.floor(math.sqrt(ship:GetEquipFree(‘CARGO’) / 50))

ship:AddEquip(‘SHIELD_GENERATOR’, num)

if ship_type:GetEquipSlotCapacity(‘ENERGYBOOSTER’) > 0 and

Engine.rand:Number(1) + 0.5 – size_factor < lawlessness then

ship:AddEquip(‘SHIELD_ENERGY_BOOSTER’)

end

end

And it indeed allow to launch the game without the error message and the runtime error following it.

Thanks.

Participant

Yep, that’s it!

Participant

Thanks

Been flying in Hades canyon while New Hope was on the horizon

nYpNes.jpg

fQgGOs.jpg

I wish i had a powerfull computer enough to play at this kind of details 😀 but what’s impressive with Pioneer is that even at medium details it looks really nice (and with great framerate on my old system)

for comparison, same locations but level of details i use when flying and have a very nice framerate despite my intel card :

yDgNfs.jpg

iVt4Ts.jpg

That game is really wonderfull and gorgeous even at medium/high details , thank you very much for always improving it

robn wrote:
    ElectricSkies wrote:
    I’d like to build this for myself in Mac OSX. How much do the instructions in the Compile pioneer page apply to building for Mac?

I think it doesn’t for the most part. See COMPILING.OSX.txt. Our OS X guy (Philbywhizz) hasn’t been around much lately (also why there’s no OS X build yet) so the XCode project might be slightly out of date (missing new files). If it doesn’t work for you the GNU way should work.

I’m back.. and will have an OSX build tonight. Had some issues building this release as there were a few changes with the way my ObjectiveC code was working with pioneer. The GNU way should always work though (COMPILING.OSX.txt should help you there – if it doesn’t let me know).

Cheers,

Philbywhizz.

Participant

I finally sorted out exactly what went wrong with the original builds of alpha 14. I’ve done fresh builds from scratch and confirmed they work, and uploaded them. If you already grabbed the original and the patched executable and edited TradeShips.lua then there’s nothing you need to do. If you do go and download the alpha 14 packages from the download page then it will all just work.

Sorry for the mix up, and thanks for your patience!

Participant

Thanks to Philbywhizz an OS X build of Alpha 14 has just been posted at http://pioneerspacesim.net/download.

Participant

Thanks for the OSX build, Philbywhizz. However, it quits itself immediately upon being opened. Do other OSX users have this problem?

ElectricSkies wrote:
    Thanks for the OSX build, Philbywhizz. However, it quits itself immediately upon being opened. Do other OSX users have this problem?

That’s not cool.. Are there any messages sent to the console (via the console app – located in /Applications/Utilities?)

What version of OSX are you running?

Participant

I’m running OS 10.6.8.

I tried opening it through Terminal, but there were no error messages. Terminal shows the next command prompt before Pioneer crashes, so it seems that it runs for a bit before closing.

Edit: as per advice here I tried deleting ~/Library/Application Support/Pioneer, but it didn’t help.

ElectricSkies wrote:
    I tried opening it through Terminal, but there were no error messages. Terminal shows the next command prompt before Pioneer crashes, so it seems that it runs for a bit before closing.

Ok, I think I know where the issue is now – it is the way that the application is packaged with the newest lua management code (damm you luamanager and your constructors! 🙁 ).

I’m going to have to have a rethink on how to package up pioneer on OSX (I have an idea of a work around), and unfortunately I won’t be able to test and fix it until tonight. Thanks for your patience.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.