Home Forums Classic/Retro Space Games Apollo 18 The Moon Missions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    gagaringagarin
    Participant

I Have this wonderful game and is still in its box and in pristine condition
    I think its from the 1990s – it will ONLY run on Windows 95/98
    I have tried just about everything to get it running in Windows 10 and I mean EVERYTHING !!!!
    Please DO NOT confuse this with the old DOS game for the Commodore
    This wonderful sim is by Aim Software and I think it is the most realistic and complete Apollo moon landing out there
    It is now the 50th Anniversary of the first Apollo Moon landing and how wonderful would it be to run this amazing simulation in Windows 10
    It would be so good if anyone could get this game to run in windows 10 of if anyone has found a way to run it
    I have found a video of the completed Moon Mission below

Apollo 18 The Moon Missions

With thanks
    Gagarin

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Not heard of the game and looks to be a pretty in-depth simulation.

Can’t offer any solution for getting it to run on a Windows ten system, always found Window compatibility mode to be useless. I guess a duel boot system would work, but I don’t know how you set some thing like that up.

Their is a Windows 98 Virtual Machine, which is some sort of emulator, I never used it so I don’t know if you can run games in it.

the only other idea would be to get a 98 system, but it’s not an option if you just want to play one game.

gagaringagarin
    Participant

I am beginning to think along those lines and get an old second hand windows 95/98 laptop to play this
    The sim is amazing – it comes with a huge in depth manual copied from NASA and it has a Training disc with an actual video feed showing the various consoles in Apollo mission control – plus a 3 part difficult Astronaut test to pass.
    Such a pity no one has reissued this game in windows 10 mode
    I am not even sure if Aim Software are even still in business
    Gagarin

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

I use an old 98 laptop for playing games on, can struggle a bit with 3d.
    Looks like the game was not well received when it was first came out in 98/99 and it looks like Aim Software are long gone.

gagaringagarin
    Participant

I wonder how difficult it would be if someone got the rights to this game and then update it ?
    With todays computing power the graphics alone would be amazing I think
    Gagarin

gagaringagarin
    Participant

Original Apollo 18 files

I have also found a site that has uploaded the Apollo 18 discs

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

The game is available on a number of abandon ware site but probably unplayable without the 200 page manual.
    GoG would be the company to make it playable on modern systems and their are a few modern games which cover the same ground Reentry – An Orbital Simulator https://store.steampowered.com/app/882140/Reentry__An_Orbital_Simulator/

gagaringagarin
    Participant

I have sent an email to GoG but no reply
    I have 2 copies of the Game manual also I have a step by step walkthrough for the sim as well
    I would love for a software developer to look at the files and perhaps revamp them in a way so it can be played on modern computers
    What a nice tribute that would be for the 50th Anniversary of the the Moon Landings
    Gagarin

CaptainKalCaptainKal
    Participant

Try installing Win98 over a virtual environment. I was able to install this game, on a Win98 running over dosbox. You can try it for yourself:

http://dosbox95.darktraveler.com/w98%20part%201.html

gagaringagarin
    Participant

That looks like a lot of work and I will try it when I have a quieter moment or 2
    I already have original copies of windows 95 and 98
    thank you
    Gagarin

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Someone has started a whish list on GOG for the game but it maybe some time before anything comes of it.

gagaringagarin
    Participant

I saw that
    One is for the old Accolade dos game and the other IS for the Aim Software Apollo 18 windows game
    Perhaps along with my recent email to GoG they may try and release it?
    I can only hope
    Gagarin

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.