Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Current hardware

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    Participant

Since we’ve had a couple of posts lately about the hardware that people are using I’d just like to get an idea of what machines people are using.

This isn’t a chance to slate peoples machines but just to give me an idea of the range of equipment.

There are 4 things that I’d like to know:

1) operating system, i.e: Win7 32/64bit, WinXP, Mac OSX, Linux (+distro).

2) CPU

3) RAM

4) GPU/Graphics

You can find most of this out by downloading CPU-Z

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I’ll start us off as I have two machines that I use for dev.

Laptop (That I got just before being made redundant!):

1) Win7 64bit

2) AMD Phenom II N620 Dual-Core @ 2.8GHz

3) 4GB

4) ATi Mobility HD 4250 / HD 5470 (switchable)

Desktop PC:

1) Win7 64bit

2) Intel i7 920 Quad-Core @ 2.66GHz

3) 6GB

4) nVidia GTX 470

I have no issues running the game and thus I tend to forget that others might when I’m implementing a feature as I treat my Laptop as the minimum spec!

Obviously that isn’t fair on some people, it also might affect what work gets done one which feature in the future. For example, layering on more and more terrain processing and atmosphere rendering might make things prettier as discussed in the other thread, but it might also prevent some people from playing the game _at all_ which probably isn’t what anyone wants. On the other hand this might reveal that there’s no reason for maintaining fixed function pipeline code (only used as an example guys) and point out where it may be possible to shift some workload.

Cheers,

Andy

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

Participant

1) Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate Edition

2) Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz

3) 4GB DDR2 PC6400

4) nVidia GTX 260 w/ 896MB GDDR3 RAM

Participant

laptop-

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110408-1633)

HP G62 Notebook PC

AMD Athlon(tm) II P340 Dual-Core Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

3072MB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series

This one runs fine on the lower graphical settings but has the usual ati related bugs. Things are much better on the latest builds though.

Desktop-

Windows xp 32bit

intel e220 dual core 2.4 ghz

3072 RAM

Nvidia geforce 9500gt 1gb

This runs the game much smoother and can even run on higher settings with hdr enabled. I attribute this to the much better (but still quite rubbish) gpu.

One thing I would like to mention is that on both computers, the real fps killers are the cities. I can have terrain either on high or the highest on either pc but as soon as I get near a city it begins to crawl. Does anyone know if anyone has made any progress on optimising cities? I wish I could do 3d modelling as I would crack out a few temporary low-poly replacements if I could.

Participant
    Luomu wrote:
    I run this on a single-core 2.3ghz laptop with Radeon HD4200 just fine, so I would say getting “1-2 fps” is a bug somewhere.

Cross-posted n’ quoted from the other thread until Loumo can give us more info.

Participant
    Quote:
    Does anyone know if anyone has made any progress on optimising cities? I wish I could do 3d modelling as I would crack out a few temporary low-poly replacements if I could.

Nothing much has been done, AFAIK the problem is not with the the buildings themselves as they are all very low poly, I think most of them are scripted actually which would mean they have perfect LOD calculation too. If you feel up to it you could try a bit of play testing to see what the cause really is, by removing the various buildings in groups, if it suddenly speeds up then you know one of the buildings you removed was responsible 🙂

Oh and:

Win7 x64

Intel Q6600 2.4

4 GB DDR2.

285GTX 2GB version 😉

Participant

1: Win 7-64

2: AMD 64 X2 5400 @2,8

3: 2GB PC6400

4: ATI HD4850 512MB

Participant

1. Debian Linux 6.0/sid, kernel 2.6.38 (32 bit)

2. Core 2 Duo T9600 @ 2.80GHz

3. 4GB DDR2

4. Mobility Radeon HD3650 (w/ fglrx/Catalyst 11.4.2)

Also testing regularly with Windows builds on Wine, and the open source Radeon drivers.

Participant

So most of the developers at least seem to have a minimum of dual-core machines with decent shader capable graphics and 2GB ram.

No-one with single-core, integrated graphics or Mac hardware has posted but I’m sure that people have complained about those things before 🙄

MarcelMarcel
    Participant

I’m probably at the low end of the hardware spectrum.

WinXP home

AMD Athlon 2500+

1 gig ram

ATI Radeon 9550 w/256mb ram

Single core, no shaders or hdr, but Pioneer is looking pretty good and plays well on medium detail levels.

Participant

Funny, the Radeon 9550 should support OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 2.0 if you did want to use shaders. Might not be blisteringly fast though 😉

*edit* stoopid typos.

Participant

My personal computer at the moment is:

Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit

AMD V140 2.3GHz (single core)

Radeon HD4200

2GB RAM

My desktop PC is in a box on another continent.

farcodevfarcodev
    Participant

1) operating system: Win7 64bit

2) CPU: phenom II @ 4ghz

3) RAM: 16gb

4) GPU/Graphics: HD 6970 + GTS240

Participant

1. Windows XP SP3

2. Athlon64 2 GHz (single core)

3. NVidia GeForce GT 440

4. 2 GB RAM

MarcelMarcel
    Participant
    Quote:
    Funny, the Radeon 9550 should support OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 2.0 if you did want to use shaders. Might not be blisteringly fast though

It doesn’t though. I can click the button to no effect only to find it unclicked again when I press [esc].

Participant

Another low end user. On an old laptop.

CPU: Turion 64 @ 2Ghz (Single core)

GFX: Onboard Radeon XPress (about the same as the old 9xxx series of desktop cards i think, but for laptop)

MEMORY: 2 GB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.