Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Current hardware

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    Participant
    s2odan wrote:
    It actually looks like win7 is changing Pioneer’s processor affinity and selecting only one core. Pioneer should actually use 25% of your pc perhaps up to 28%, certainly 28 when rendering a detailed planet and calculating that perlin -> mesh stuff.

Un-edited it should use approx 2 and a little bit cores in the most extreme situations. The ‘little bit’ is the shaders AFAIK.

By contrast with my setup which is a quadcore intel q6600 I’ll get up approx 55% usage in the extreme situations. Like highest detail on a detailed world maybe while fighting 🙂

Have you tried 13 yet?

I’m seeing the crappy frame rate with Alpha 12 and 13, which actually leads me to think it’s something external to Pioneer itself (I mean, both Alpha 12 and 13 have been observed to give excellent performance on my hardware).

I’ll do some more fiddling around when I next get a chance and see if I can alter the number of cores being allocated…

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

Participant

😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳

OK, now I’m totally embarrassed.

I’ve been doing a bit of coding lately, and to maximise my battery life I switched off the high performance graphics.

Well guess what? Switching back to high perf GPU restored Pioneer to its former glory.

Who’da thunk it?

😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳

Participant

Well done, I had a feeling it would be something silly like that when I could see pioneer only running properly on the single core. But its weird how the GPU in low power mode would make it do that 🙂 Happy flying commander 😉

Participant

Hey

If it helps for future reference I am running Pioneer under Win XP pro 2002 edition with SP2.

AMD Athlon, 64 x2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.61ghz with 2gig ram

Nvidia GTS 450 Graphics card

I have everything set on ‘high’ with planet detail ‘very high’

Screen res of 1280×800 (although it will go higher without any major hit of FPS)

Shaders, HDR and Planet textures on

It runs smooooth!!! 😉

No issues so far – although I haven’t got out of the Sol system since I downloaded on Saturday …. I’m enjoying the scenery of my local region of space at the moment and trying to capture some screenshots for posting at sometime……. 😀

Happy trails

Rob

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.