Home Forums Space/SciFi Combat and Simulation Game Discussion UniVoyager Dev Video #7 – From Earth to the Space Station

Viewing 13 reply threads

Expires on 11/20/2018

• Author
      Damiano
      Participant

I have released a new video! 🙂

In this video we start our space adventure reaching an Earth Space Station orbiting at 400 km at the speed of about 30000 km/h. 

We are going to see how to approach and land to a distant and fast moving target.

This video shows also how to full control the Spaceship using a X52 Saitek Hotas Joystick, the new Navigation Screen and the HUD with adjustable brightness/color. 

Fasten your seatbelt! 😀

http://youtu.be/0hbmgb00QdA

Damiano

P.S. Space Stations with runways have an Artificial Gravity System set to 0.5G to allow planetary-like landings and takeoffs.

Expires on 11/20/2018

Caleb
      Participant

Hi Damiano.

A few questions:

Can you explain something about the Exploration mechanics?

Can we orbit planets/objects … in real mode (Approach+vector+speed) or in “auto” mode? (For the exploration, maybe)

In a combat we are limited to 1x time scale, right?

In the planets menu i can see only the planets, without moons, can we select a moon and land in a satellite, right?

In the cockpit mode: Can we hide the Speed/Dist/target name of the HUD? (We can see this data in the cockpit)

Regards!

Damiano
      Participant

Hi Damiano.

Hi Caleb! 🙂

Can you explain something about the Exploration mechanics?

Actually you simply set your destination using the navigation system and point the ship nose to the target. There will be some challenges to face like objects in fast movement, obstacles, strong winds or enemies. I would like also to let user discover new places that are not scheduled in the nav system but I still have to arrange this feature..

Can we orbit planets/objects … in real mode (Approach+vector+speed) or in “auto” mode? (For the exploration, maybe)

Of course. Spaceship, Stations, moons, asteroids, every object obey to the law of gravity. This means that in manual mode you can set your orbit by yourself pointing your nose to 0 degrees and set your speed to the correct speed needed to maintain a circular or elliptical orbit at that altitude. Maybe in the future I’ll add also a panel where you can see the orbital parameters and all the other stuff that can help setting up an orbit.

In a combat we are limited to 1x time scale, right?

Still not defined it. I am working on the AI engine right now and will see… 🙂

In the planets menu i can see only the planets, without moons, can we select a moon and land in a satellite, right?

Yes, the nav is organised in a parent/child layout. If the parent object is Earth then the childs will be: cities, space stations, moon arranged by the distance.

If you select moon you have the childs box filled with stations and cities as well.

In the cockpit mode: Can we hide the Speed/Dist/target name of the HUD? (We can see this data in the cockpit)

Not at the moment but useful thing to add… 😉

Thanks Caleb! 🙂

Damiano

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Great vid Damiano 😎 😎

Looks like I will have a use for my X52 Saitek after all.

Caleb
      Participant

Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply Damiano! 

Damiano
      Participant

Great vid Damiano 😎 😎

Looks like I will have a use for my X52 Saitek after all.

Thank you Pinback! 🙂 Glad to see that you inserted NV in the 2015 10 upcoming sims to keep an eye on. 🙂

I need to buy other hotas since I want to include some default setup for the most famous sticks. I’ll of course also add a configuration screen for input devices.

Damiano
      Participant

Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply Damiano! 

My pleasure! Thank you too for the translations on the NV spanish forum 😉

Caleb
      Participant
      One question about the video from the Spanish users:

How is the gravity (In stations) simulated? Is magnetic? Is Kinetic? Or is simply hard-coded for a better gameplay? (Or other?)

Regards!

Damiano
      Participant

One question about the video from the Spanish users:

How is the gravity (In stations) simulated? Is magnetic? Is Kinetic? Or is simply hard-coded for a better gameplay? (Or other?)

Regards!

Mmmm I would define it magnetic because there is no rotation with centrifugal force involved. Internally it works in this way: there are some specific key points that define the artificial gravity position, range, intensity and direction. When I find those points in the station mesh I apply a gravitational force according to those parameters to all the objects in range.

Thank you! 🙂

Damiano

Caleb
      Participant

Thanks Damiano! 🙂 

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Any plans to have small work pods working around the station as in moving cargo to bigger ship which can’t dock inside the station or fixing/ refueling them ect.

Caleb
      Participant

And one last question: 

Do we have an alert with the ship has entered in the station artifitial gravity zone?

Damiano
      Participant

Any plans to have small work pods working around the station as in moving cargo to bigger ship which can’t dock inside the station or fixing/ refueling them ect.

Hi Pinback sorry for the delay. I was thinking at some sort of docking tower, so called “mooring mast” used in the past for the docking of airships like the famous zeppelin. But also the work pods idea is very good. 🙂

Damiano
      Participant

And one last question: 

Do we have an alert with the ship has entered in the station artifitial gravity zone?

Not at the moment but it’s already a scheduled task 😉

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.