Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

Besides monthly games you also get access to over 60 free games in their library

• Author
    Participant

Hi Guys! Great News!!

Evochron Legacy is available via direct download and on Steam. The game’s official website is here:

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/index.htm

If you’d like to read the history behind its development, design goals, and new features, please visit this development page:

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/development.htm

During the launch week, if you purchased Evochron Mercenary directly from SW3DG or through Steam, you may qualify for a 40% discount on this game. For Steam owners, the discount should already be available if you currently have Evochron Mercenary in your library. For direct order owners, the order page on the game’s website provides a link to acquire the discount.

Thank you for your support and patience. And thank you to the testing team who have helped over the last year through 88 main version updates and a bunch of patches through alpha and beta testing. It’s taken a long time getting here since 2011, but hopefully the game is better for it and space-sim fans have fun playing it. I hope you enjoy the game!

http://www.evochron.com
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/398170/

A bunch of classics here on the cheap if you get them all in one bundle

IronHoundIronHound
    Participant

Fantastic! The discount is nice too, would be sweeter if I could use it from say the direct store to the steam one. I have funds in my steam wallet, but not in real life. 😛

Hope to see the multiplayer come back to life, it was alot of fun in Mercenary.

Participant

Purchased immediately of course: very happy to have the discount for owning Evochron Mercenary!

I’m really looking forward to digging into this.  These are really the only modern sims which have the flight model right.  It absolutely feels like a spacecraft is supposed to.  Thanks to that, this game coming out is to me a big event that surely won’t get the fanfare from the gaming media that it deserves.

Now I have the difficulty of balancing this, Starsector (recently purchased) and Elite Dangerous.  That’s a good problem to have.  I do run the risk of the proper flight model of Evochron leaving me very frustrated with the (admittedly often enjoyable) monstrosity that is the Elite Dangerous flight model.  Maybe it’ll be good to leave it in the dust for a month or so while they continue working on expansions.  

Also, somebody please smack the two idiots who down-voted on Steam after playing it for like 1 hour.  Seriously, who the hell would thumbs-down one of the Evochron games?  

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Will be picking up a copy at the weekend.

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

Is there anything posted about what are the new things or enhancements to Legacy from Mercenaries?

IronHoundIronHound
    Participant

Not really DarkOne. 

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/about.htm

Is about as close as you are going to get.

What I got out of it was More of the same but MORE. I’m going to try the demo until I can buy it this weekend. I’ll try and come back with some of the differences.

Participant

I haven’t spent much time on it yet, but from initial impressions I am rather underwhelmed with the improvements since Evochron Mercenary.  There were some basic quality-of-life improvements which were badly needed, mostly having to do with the UI, but it doesn’t seem any attention has been paid to that sort of thing.  The ship and weapon types still seem far too homogeneous to provide much motivation to earn money.

On the bright side, one problem with Evochron Mercenary which drove me absolutely crazy is that the velocity of the cannon bolts were the same relative to the grid, regardless of the velocity of the ship which fired them.  This seems to have been fixed (as far as I can tell, the velocity of cannon bolts are always the same relative to the ship that fired them, regardless of that ship’s velocity on the grid).  This was, in my mind, a very big problem with the combat in Evochron Mercenary, so the significance of this one fix should not be understated.

For some reason the makers of space sims, my favorite type of game, so often seem so incapable of understanding why other genres of games have been so successful.  Why do people play Borderlands or Diablo for hours on end?  Hint: it’s not the story, it’s not the terrain.  It’s because those games are always presenting you with new and different ways to play them, and gaining access to these new abilities is a constant motivation to play.  I’m not sure why space sims are having such a hard time with that concept.  If you have lots of dials to let you continuously vary the stats of your ship and guns, no change ever feels exciting.  That’s my input at least.

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Bought the game on Friday and still going through the tutorials, I think their are a few caveats for anyone thinking of buying the game.

1 This is a sim not an arcade sim and you will need to look at the tutorials more than once and will need to put some time into it in order to play it.

2 Graphic whores don’t even bother as you are not going to like it.

3 Download the demo first.

Anyone  know if their is a keyboard overlay for the game as it sure could use one.

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Anyone  know if their is a keyboard overlay for the game as it sure could use one.

Yes there is one in the main game folder. Also the Star Wraith community put together a handy guide for Evochron Mercenary, much of it will still be relevant for Legacy. With luck, there might be another edition in the future covering Legacy too. You can find the guide here.

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Cheers Geraldine I eventually found it one of the steam folder, any one looking for it can find it in C/ Program files  x86/ Steam/ Steam App/ Common/ Evochron Legacy.

Not had much chance to play it and I,m hopping to get a couple of hours over the weekend.

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Really liking this a lot 😎 it does have a few faults but I think this game will scratch an itch for a lot of people.

Nice article by Euro Gamer site about the dev and game. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-01-31-the-stars-his-destination-meet-the-man-whos-kept-space-sims-flying

Participant

Very interesting article.  I have enormous respect for what Bower has done with these games, in spite of the fact that I’m rather underwhelmed with the changes in Legacy.

Does anybody who has had more time to dig into it than I have have anything interesting to report on new features?

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Can’t say myself as I never played Mercenary.

Cockpit mod to keep an eye http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=12336

Must see if I can find my Babylon 5 sound effects.

Participant

Ever want to be a space pirate? Then try this game.  😎

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Big update on Steam which I stopped from downloading as it’s looks more like it’s re downloading the whole game again and it seems to have introduced some new bugs. Think I will wait a few days for the hot fixes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.