Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Facegen: Any suggestions?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)



Humble Book Bundle ends on 9/11/2019


  • Author
    Posts
  • #80790
    Avatars2odan
    Participant
    Quote:
    Perhaps I could apply some filters to the backgrounds to make them fit the style of the faces more.

    That would probably be quite effective. Also once we have seperate faces for the various professions, we can also seperate out the backgrounds so a factory/shipyard worker would have those backgrounds and an office worker would have the relevant ones.

    Luomu wrote:
    …The clothes could actually be tinted runtime so you could add grayscale versions of every clothes image for future use….

    I think this could be worth trying. But not only for clothes but most if not all parts.

    We had a discussion about this on IRC earlier today and it could give a lot more variation to colours. Also it means we can easily add in some sci-fi blue human/aliens 😉

    So not only would the seed be used to select every part, but also its colouring, such as skin colour or hair/eye colour.

    Further down the line when we have crew and wingmen, we can use those same numbers to generate simple background descriptions for people, sort of like how the planetary descriptions are genned now. 🙂




    Humble Book Bundle ends on 9/11/2019


    #80791
    Avatars2odan
    Participant
    ollobrain wrote:
    how about throwing in as many as we can come up with and fine tuning can take place over time as far as the backgrounds go

    We were kind of doing that, but I suppose now some backgrounds don’t fit with others, but once we have specific backgrounds for different situations it will probably be ok.

    #80792
    AvatarLuomu
    Participant
    Subzeroplainzero wrote:
    Perhaps I could apply some filters to the backgrounds to make them fit the style of the faces more.

    Just blur them.

    #80793
    AvatarSubzeroplainzero
    Participant
    Luomu wrote:
    Subzeroplainzero wrote:
    Perhaps I could apply some filters to the backgrounds to make them fit the style of the faces more.

    Just blur them.

    Sounds good to me. I’ll do just that then 🙂

    #80794
    Avatarmathee
    Participant
    Subzeroplainzero wrote:
    Luomu wrote:
    Subzeroplainzero wrote:
    Perhaps I could apply some filters to the backgrounds to make them fit the style of the faces more.

    Just blur them.

    Sounds good to me. I’ll do just that then 🙂

    You should also use a flexible color filter over the whole picture in the end (after the faces have been generated). Like looking through a slightly blue (or red or green or whatever you like ;)) colored window. This should give the backgrounds a little more “sci-fi” atmosphere and let the faces appear in the correct light. This combined with the blurry backgrounds should really do the trick here.

    Otherwise, sometimes less is more: Completely black and white with noise filter over it would be great, or why not black and white with blue (a little bit like star wars holograms)?

    Just some thoughts 🙂

    #80795
    AvatarSubzeroplainzero
    Participant
    mathee wrote:

    You should also use a flexible color filter over the whole picture in the end (after the faces have been generated). Like looking through a slightly blue (or red or green or whatever you like ;)) colored window. This should give the backgrounds a little more “sci-fi” atmosphere and let the faces appear in the correct light. This combined with the blurry backgrounds should really do the trick here.

    Otherwise, sometimes less is more: Completely black and white with noise filter over it would be great, or why not black and white with blue (a little bit like star wars holograms)?

    Just some thoughts 🙂

    We originally intended for an overlay of some kind. I played around with this style for a bit-

    test11g.gif

    It’s a bit repetetive for my liking but with some tweeking I think it could work quite well. It also captures the cheesy 80s style futuristic technology feel. What do you reckon?

    I only have imput on the art side though as I have zero programming knowledge, but I’ll see what s2odan thinks 🙂

    #80796
    MarcelMarcel
    Participant

    That ‘bad connection’ noise might work if you’re communicating with a distant ship, but in station I think we’ll do better than that in 3200. 🙂 Anyway I had to post this because it made me laugh. You do come up with some interesting combinations![attachment=843:Milan.jpg]

    #80797
    GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant
    Marcel wrote:
    That ‘bad connection’ noise might work if you’re communicating with a distant ship, but in station I think we’ll do better than that in 3200. 🙂

    Yes that’s a great idea Marcel, distance or proximity to an intense radio source (like a Gas Giant or Star), during re-entry procedures or even line of sight would disrupt communications. Yes it is a small detail but it is also one that increases immersion in the game. 🙂

    #80798
    AvatarLuomu
    Participant

    Might feel weird if there’s some animated stuff (analog noise in year 3200? ;)) on top of the image, when the image itself will never move. And instead of flashing “video link” text it could just show the character’s name/title.

    #80799
    AvatarSubzeroplainzero
    Participant

    So we’re generally agreed that a we don’t want interference unless video linking with another ship in space etc. I’m looking forward to that being implemented! Responses to SOS signals and so on would be cool, along with the ablity to pirate and demand civs to release their cargo. Or even ask directions a bit like in the x series.

    @marcel haha she’s a good one. I think it’s generating a nice mix of freaks and normals at the moment. It’s probably veering more in the freak direction, but with a bit more fixing, tweeking, and content, it’ll be really good 🙂

    #80800
    Avatarrobn
    Participant
    Subzeroplainzero wrote:
    So we’re generally agreed that a we don’t want interference unless video linking with another ship in space etc. I’m looking forward to that being implemented! Responses to SOS signals and so on would be cool, along with the ablity to pirate and demand civs to release their cargo. Or even ask directions a bit like in the x series.

    Its coming. I’m very close to finishing abstracting out a lot of the station form and face stuff, then I can get to building comms forms that work outside of the station. Thats where we’ll start to see ship-to-ship comms. I’d say we’ll have something in the next couple of months.

    #80801
    Avatars2odan
    Participant
    Quote:
    You do come up with some interesting combinations!

    My God… Its like a chinese Samantha Carter. 😉

    #80802
    AvatarSubzeroplainzero
    Participant
    robn wrote:
    Subzeroplainzero wrote:
    So we’re generally agreed that a we don’t want interference unless video linking with another ship in space etc. I’m looking forward to that being implemented! Responses to SOS signals and so on would be cool, along with the ablity to pirate and demand civs to release their cargo. Or even ask directions a bit like in the x series.

    Its coming. I’m very close to finishing abstracting out a lot of the station form and face stuff, then I can get to building comms forms that work outside of the station. Thats where we’ll start to see ship-to-ship comms. I’d say we’ll have something in the next couple of months.

    Wow that’s really exciting stuff! I think a simple conversation to start with would be to basically ask what a pilot is currently doing, so they would reply with something like “I am flying to -location- to trade -commodity-” or “I am transporting -no.- of passengers to -location-” It could give you a nice insight into what the ai is up to. Maybe I dreamed it but I think you could do that in another space game… freelancer?

    #80803
    Avatars2odan
    Participant
    Quote:
    I think a simple conversation to start with would be to basically ask what a pilot is currently doing, so they would reply with something like “I am flying to -location- to trade -commodity-” or “I am transporting -no.- of passengers to -location-“

    Player- “Why are you attacking me?”

    Pirate- “Dunno.”

    🙂

    #80804
    GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant
    s2odan wrote:
    Quote:
    I think a simple conversation to start with would be to basically ask what a pilot is currently doing, so they would reply with something like “I am flying to -location- to trade -commodity-” or “I am transporting -no.- of passengers to -location-“

    Player- “Why are you attacking me?”

    Pirate- “Dunno.”

    🙂

    Now that gives me an idea! (uh oh, everyone groans! 😆 ) Perhaps the response you would get, would depend on your Elite, Military or Criminal status? If, at a low rank, you will get no respect at all, however the higher up the ranks you go, attackers would be more wary in their response to you once they find out who you are, even to the point of legging it if your totally bad news! 😈 I think such a feature would make the player feel special (if they worked hard at raising their rank) or more determined to prove themselves unworthy of insults (for those just starting out).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.