Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects FFED3D FFED3D Complete Package

Tagged: 

Viewing 93 reply threads

• Author
      sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Hey Everyone

Well this past week I have compiled together all of the latest models/snd/music/texture files and packaged them all up for everyone. I also tested and added the latest version of JSGME (Generic Mod Enabler). It is a nice tool to add mods to your install without having to make backups of your folders and remember the files you edited. Only thing you cannot do with the mod tool is enable two mods that would edit the same model/texture/sound/music file or folder. I did my best to note possible issues in the mod tool mouse-over tooltips.

Example screenshot of JSGME:

[hsimg]http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7280/gme2.jpg[/hsimg]

I have made multiple downloads and one whole package for everyone that is available here:

(You will need 7zip to extract the archive: http://www.7-zip.org/)

FFED3D Complete and Multi-part Downloads

http://spacesimcentral.com/downloads/ft … ir=/FFED3D

Package last updated on: 13 Aug 2010

So please leave all feedback for this package here. If there some things that need to be added or fixed, please post links to the files or file/code changes to be implemented.

Here is what is in this package:

Code:
      This package contains the latest version of FFED3D that was compiled by Elitegames.ru.
      Includes all models and textures that I could find that are compatible with FFED3D. Here is more of a detailed list of what is extra:

– FFE manual by Lucian Wischik.
      – Latest version of JSGME the Mod Manager tool (v2.6.0.157)
      – Latest version of B.U.F.F.E.T a FFE Trainer by whertz (v2.01)

Here are some additional mods that have been added to the most recent package package:
      Saker MK III – Folder 31, 201
      New Hanger Model – Folder 233
      IP Shuttle Stud-City – Folder 15

Following models have extra texture packs:
      Eagle MK1 – Folder 23*
      Crater – Folder 162*
      Axeblade Station – Folder 77*, 238*
      Lifter Cargo – Folder 153*
      Osprey Attack Fighter – Folder 19*
      Osprey X – Folder 32*
      Escape Capsule – Folder 14*

Latest textures (tex1-37, tex44-49, tex66, tex97-98, tex464-539 & tex701)

* Includes additional textures pack for that particular model, if you want a different texture than the current version. Copy the texture from inside the skinpack into that mods root folder and rename it to the same name as the original (make sure you make a backup of the original).

Have Fun

-D1-

Fanatical - Official PC Game Keys

Shingen
      Participant

Kewl! Thanks! πŸ˜€

The PDF manual for FFE is here. It looks like it includes everything that JJFFE added, so it should work with FFED3D.

I would think you’d have to get the author’s permission to add it to your download file.

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Looks like there was a few downloads, just about 100 and no feedback?

Werty
      Participant

Thanks for providing the download, it makes installing FFED3D a whole lot easier. I’ve only run across two problems, neither of which seem to be specific to your package and both I’ve been able to work around:

1. Icons sometimes disappearing – only in some resolutions, though since it was in the one I wanted to use I found that downgrading my Nvidia driver to an 80 series fixed it. I don’t run anything requiring a new driver anyway. Seems to be a common issue.

2. After accepting my first “classified” mission, the game would crash when jumping to the target system – maybe as a result of the “you have entered a restricted zone” message? I took a samegame immediately before jumping, GLFFE loaded it and I jumped into the target system, saved, went back to FFED3D and completed the mission with no further problems. The next “classified” mission I tried (which turned out to be Pleione…) didn’t produce the crash. Would you or the Russian guys be interested in the savegame?

CaptainKalCaptainKal
      Participant

I downloaded and installed, and I am impressed. This remake brings FFE to the next level (visually at least). And the package is great. Great work D1

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator
      Werty wrote:
      2. After accepting my first “classified” mission, the game would crash when jumping to the target system – maybe as a result of the “you have entered a restricted zone” message? I took a samegame immediately before jumping, GLFFE loaded it and I jumped into the target system, saved, went back to FFED3D and completed the mission with no further problems. The next “classified” mission I tried (which turned out to be Pleione…) didn’t produce the crash. Would you or the Russian guys be interested in the savegame?

If you have an account on Elite Games I would post something in this thread on what you are seeing: http://www.elite-games.ru/conference/vi … hp?t=47030

On the other issue that you are seeing I have read in a few places that people have some graphical anomalies depending on card and driver version.

CaptainKal wrote:
      This remake brings FFE to the next level (visually at least).

There was a few more models that were still being worked on so maybe in the next build πŸ™‚

If people see models that get completed please let me know about them so I can add them to the TO ADD list so I don’t forget anything.

Straker
      Participant

Is this package a stand-alone application/game or does it need to be installed alongside some existing software?

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Just extract it and play πŸ™‚

You will need a DirectX compatible gfx card.

CaptainKalCaptainKal
      Participant
      Quote:
      There was a few more models that were still being worked on so maybe in the next build πŸ™‚

If people see models that get completed please let me know about them so I can add them to the TO ADD list so I don’t forget anything.

Keep up the good work then. πŸ˜€

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Here you go everyone with the difficulties in downloading the complete package. I broke up the package into two downloads of 60MB or so.

FFED3D Complete Package – Part 1

FFED3D Complete Package – Part 2

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Hi Darkone

Just to let you know, both parts of your FFE package downloaded sucessfully! Thanks so much!

CommanderJameson
      Participant
      Werty wrote:

I couldn’t even find the base to photograph. Took the satellite down okay (didn’t even check to see if it was the old version or if they slipped one past me. Pfah.), and then spent an hour and a half crawling the planet at 2000m altitude looking for the installation. Fffffffffffffff.

(Oh, and the game works great, even on my old-ass computer.Thanks, Darkone)

Shingen
      Participant
      CommanderJameson wrote:
      Werty wrote:

I couldn’t even find the base to photograph. Took the satellite down okay (didn’t even check to see if it was the old version or if they slipped one past me. Pfah.), and then spent an hour and a half crawling the planet at 2000m altitude looking for the installation. Fffffffffffffff.

(Oh, and the game works great, even on my old-ass computer.Thanks, Darkone)

You can find the base if you go into the system display map and zoom to the planet/moon where the photo mission is.

Pan around the planet till you see the base and target it.

Vaipa
      Participant

The wierdest thing happened to me yesterday when I started the game: I’ve seen the first blue screen in 5 years. πŸ™

Potsmoke66
      Participant
      Werty wrote:

❗ for those who played frontier & first encounters often this is a legally known problem of the game, often it helps when you “reset” your game, to explain; save game before leaving system (or any other important action), exit the game, restart and reload (this performs the game reset, by loosing some data stored in process).

you see maybe it would have worked in FFED3D too, if you just restarted your game ❓

but i don’t know, there could be differences between the versions of FFE, FFED3D uses JJFFE 2.8a6, GLFFE uses JJFFE 2.8a and JJFFE is already a wrapping for the DOS based “Frontier First Encounters”, which is a port of “Frontier” written entierly (almost) in assembler, changing a single byte could have multiple effects on the game.

πŸ’‘ try to play FFE through DOS-Box to compare

πŸ’‘ use “game reset” before you enter any system and you get sometimes rid of a lot of enemies in the target system.

[attachment=75:hny.jpg]

happy new year

cmdr potsmoke66

CommanderJameson
      Participant
      Shingen wrote:

You can find the base if you go into the system display map and zoom to the planet/moon where the photo mission is.

Pan around the planet till you see the base and target it.

Yeah, that’s how I usually pull it off, but I don’t know if something got messed up with the new planet textures or not, because I can’t even see the little star-lookin thing on the planet to target. Also, spending 5 days (2x in-game time) crawling over the planet shoulda let me see something. Maybe I did something wrong. I guess I’ll just wait and take the hitman missions when they come up.

Potsmoke66
      Participant

how close did you get to the planet, if your a bit to far away you won’t see and really, sometimes missions end up in a dead end. try another mission and see if it works (to me usually it does). in ffe you can see target in system map, in fe2 not, i never used starmap to search target, only point on planet and fly there and watched the rotating planet from a distance that the planet fills the screen (no target set, stealth), if you see your target don’t point at, they suspect beeing attact and interceptors leave the base as soon as you do so. fly not straightwards to your target, instead you should get down to 5000m at least 50000m away from target and fly over the surface, most interceptors will crash at this height, if you follow these rules you can get close to 30000m before you attract them. of course ffed3d it’s not finished in that point you can’t neither see your own ship (big pink blob) nor the attacking ships (small coloured blobs), i still miss the targeting tunnel, to me it was very handy, especially when you fly, dock or land without autopilot, it gives you a feel of your speed especially with stardreamer on. you can’t simply wait for the missions, they alter with your advance in ranking, anyway bombing missions are a bit boring and gives you less points then successful photograph missions.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

My method for doing bombing or photo missions was to fly directly above the target, then swoop down with the enemy base right at the centre of the planet. Taking note of the gravity of the target planet is very important. Most interceptors will fly right past you and those who don’t will turn back and crash. Experiment with differing attitudes before dropping your missile or taking your photo, turn 180 degrees around and get the hell out of Dodge on full burn. This is risky I will admit, but when you pull off one of those “Aliens” moments with a big explosion just behind your rapidly escaping ship, it’s so satisfying. Also because you are climbing at 180 degrees from the planet’s surface, you will be able to jump a little sooner too. Handy if the locals take offence to your “visit” πŸ˜‰

CommanderJameson
      Participant

I usually skim over the planet close enough to get an altitude reading. At lowest, 1000km off the surface. I’ll try giving it another shot on one of my other saves.

Potsmoke66
      Participant
      Vaipa wrote:
      The wierdest thing happened to me yesterday when I started the game: I’ve seen the first blue screen in 5 years. πŸ™

sorry never ever did see something like that caused by FFED3D, but many other progs especially microsofts own ❗

Dasuke
      Participant

I’m experiencing the exact same symptoms you described in your post, mate (missing military installations, no Rockforth Academy to kill even for the scripted mission).

It’s very frustrating, cos I’m trying to do every scripted mission and am thus now “stuck” until I resolve this invisible-base issue. I’ve flown around the planet for days at very low altitudes (1-10km) and seen nothing, tried zooming in with the planetary view-finder – all to no effect. As with your situation for recon missions, I had no trouble locating the military satellite. It’s just the bases!

Did you ever get an answer from anyone as to how to resolve it?

Help in this regard would be much appreciated.

Shingen
      Participant
      Dasuke wrote:
      I’m experiencing the exact same symptoms you described in your post, mate (missing military installations, no Rockforth Academy to kill even for the scripted mission).

It’s very frustrating, cos I’m trying to do every scripted mission and am thus now “stuck” until I resolve this invisible-base issue. I’ve flown around the planet for days at very low altitudes (1-10km) and seen nothing, tried zooming in with the planetary view-finder – all to no effect. As with your situation for recon missions, I had no trouble locating the military satellite. It’s just the bases!

Did you ever get an answer from anyone as to how to resolve it?

Help in this regard would be much appreciated.

Which scripted mission are to referring to? Imperial? Federal? Bombing? Photo?

Did you take out the satellite first?

Details would be nice. πŸ˜€

Dasuke
      Participant

I’m referring to “Destroy Rockforth Legal Academy” for the Empire, in particular, though I remember having tried doing a “Classified” mission for the Imperial Navy early in the game and having encountered the exact same problem as CommanderJameson above (arrived, destroyed satellite, proceeded to planet but found no military base to subsequently photograph).

In terms of details for the Rockforth quest, I’ve tried arriving early, on time and late and haven’t managed to find the Academy despite much searching, both from flying around low for days, flying in orbit looking for a graphic for the Academy or looking through the interplanetary viewfinder zoomed in. It’s not there, through no fault of my own (that is, I have explored all the quoted methods of finding a military base (be it to bomb or photo)). I don’t get attacked by any defence craft from the invisible Academy either (as I fly around the planet), as is suggested will happen frequently on your approach, but DO get a repeated message like “You will die!”, to paraphrase. Nobody ever comes to kill me, however, and no enemies are seen on the scanner map or otherwise.

I run a Dell XPS 630i, 4GB RAM, intel core 2 quad 2.67GHz, Geforce 9800GTX2 (1GB).

Please let me know if you need any more detail, I’m not too sure what else you might need to know. The due date of the Rockforth mission is 2nd Aug ’51 – as mentioned, I’ve tried being early, bang on-time and late, all to no avail.

Pinback
      Participant

It could be some sort of bug between your computer and the game,remenber the game is still a w.i.p.If you can,can you upload your save game.

Shingen
      Participant
      PINBACK wrote:
      It could be some sort of bug between your computer and the game,remenber the game is still a w.i.p.If you can,can you upload your save game.

Yeah.. it sounds like a bug to me.. prolly no one upgraded the scripted mission bases into D3D or sumthing. I know that they were different models then the regular space stations.

I’m gonna try to play to that point and see if I can figure it out.

mick6116
      Participant

I get the same problem as above, missing military installations. My work-around is to save before you jump into the system, open the save up in JLFFE, jump, save and open up again in FFED3D. Your instillation will appear that way.

Shingen
      Participant
      mick6116 wrote:
      I get the same problem as above, missing military installations. My work-around is to save before you jump into the system, open the save up in JLFFE, jump, save and open up again in FFED3D. Your instillation will appear that way.

I wonder if anyone posted this bug over at the FFED3D forums?

Dasuke
      Participant

Cheers for that Micki, it worked loading with GLFFE. You have to load a save preceding having jumped into the system, though. Thereafter, you can save as soon as you hyperspace in, and load back up with FFED3D and the base will remain there.

Pinback
      Participant
      Shingen wrote:

I wonder if anyone posted this bug over at the FFED3D forums?

There is a bug thread on the EG forum but I think it more to do with getting the game up and

running.Strange how it effects some and not others?.

Dasuke
      Participant

New bug! I tried working around it by loading up GLFFE, to no avail.

Essentially, I’m in the throes of completing Thargoid Part II. I Land in ???? and the Thargoids tell me they’ll inspect my ship. They inspect it, then the dialogue comes up offering me their warship vs alien artifacts. It gives me two options “Yes / No” (boxed). I click Yes and get a click noise to confirm i pressed a button. The Yes / No option boxes disappear, but the dialogue giving me the options remains. I dreamwalk a day, and all that happens is the Yes / No boxes reappear. I click Yes again…dreamwalk 24hrs….yes/no boxes reappear. I did this several times. I loaded several times, fooled around with the dreamwalker…eventually, after MANY attempts, it somehow accepted my “yes”.

Is there something easy in the code that can fix this? Surely a 1995 bit of programming isn’t too hard to sort out?

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Promise I will upload a new FFED3D download at the end of the week. I will remove all old links/downloads to not confuse any one and I will make a 1 package download and multiple file download.

What will it have?

– Latest package from elitegames.ru (Nov 2009)

– Latest models pack (Jan 2010) plus any models/skins it was missing

– Latest version of JSGME (Generic Mod Enabler)

– All mods in the enabler will have descriptions and easy to read and add.

I will create instructions of course to use it. Been testing the JSGME mod tool and very simple to figure out and works well in my testing of its functionality. I think people will like this package. I will be removing extra folders that are really not needed to hopefully bring down overall file size.

If someone wants a mod added to this package post a link to it or upload it to the download area, before this Friday.

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

All the files are currently being uploaded to the server. I will be removing all other versions of FFED3D from the server. So give me a bit and please read the first post for all info when I am done.

ffed3d-f53/ffed3d-complete-package-t568.html#p2338

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Hi Darkone

Just downloaded all 4 parts and given it a quick flight test, ……..all systems are go! A great download and I can see just how much effort you put in to this. Every Elite fan salutes you! Thank you Darkone for putting together this great package! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Now to try out this new Mod Manager! πŸ˜‰

Oh one more thing, a new special FFE3D version of Buffet (the FFE editor) is due out very soon. It will be loaded with lots of great features. I have asked it’s author if it’s ok to upload it to the SSC and he has given permission. Initial release will be beta with the final release to come soon after once all the bugs have been shaken out. Watch this space or check out the Frontier Forum for more info. πŸ˜‰

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Thanks Geraldine.

I’m just glad that the multi-part download works good for people so far, I know people have had issues in the past and I just wanted to try to solve these issues. I scrapped over the Elite-Games forums and I pulled in every single mod/texture I could find. So what you see in the mod manager is what isn’t included in the latest compiled version of FFED3D and the latest model pack.

I liked the Mod Manager personally think it will be great for people that are new to FFED3D. And might save me some time because I can just upload files for people to add to their MODS folder. πŸ™‚

That editor sounds great Geraldine, feel free to upload it or if you want me to upload it just send me all the link info.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Oh Darkone, just you wait until you see what the author is promising the new Buffet can do. For a sneak peek of SOME of the features, check out this thread on the Frontier Forum πŸ˜‰

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1537

You know I can see how FFE3D is starting to mature as Oolite did, into a wonderful game. Well done one and all! 😎

papillon1986
      Participant
      Darkone wrote:
      All the files are currently being uploaded to the server. I will be removing all other versions of FFED3D from the server. So give me a bit and please read the first post for all info when I am done.

ffed3d-f53/ffed3d-complete-package-t568.html#p2338

Hi, could you upload it to megaupload, because download is very slow, and stops at 9mb :/

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Things I do for the community… πŸ™‚

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8AX9WSKZ

Also put the link in the first post.

UAoliver
      Participant

Im Having a problem getting icons to appear when being windowed mode.

Is There any way to have icons without going to fullscreen.

I have NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS And have Direct X 9.C

Anonymous
      Paholainen wrote:

I run FFED3D windowed at 600×400 and the icons appear ok.

UAoliver
      Participant
      Steve wrote:
      Paholainen wrote:

Still isn’t working! Also my resolution in my windows xp is 1280×800 so there should not be bigger than my resolution.

Stardreamer
      Participant
      Paholainen wrote:
      Steve wrote:
      Paholainen wrote:

Still isn’t working! Also my resolution in my windows xp is 1280×800 so there should not be bigger than my resolution.

Confirmed, Paholainen. I normally run fullscreen at 1152×864 but switching to windowed buggered the panel icons – they still worked but were completely blank. No idea how to go about sorting that, though, sorry.

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

This is definitely a game issue and not and issue I caused πŸ™‚ Windowed mode is a nice feature to have but if it continually causes problems they should disable it until it is fixed. Now it may just be the resolution is not of the really standard ones out there. I have tried 1024×768 windowed and works even know I run 1920×1080.

Anonymous

Yep, and 600×400 works on a 1024×768 desktop…

d3dwin.jpg

Pinback
      Participant
      Paholainen wrote:
      Steve wrote:
      Paholainen wrote:

The game usally pretty good runing under xp,the icons thing is usally a vista problem.

It might be a stupid question,but you are changing the setting for the window mode in the games CFG file,and you do have the icons in the tex file.

Potsmoke66
      Participant

seems like every system preferes another resolution, that works well, xp is different from vista or windows7 as well as simply your screen’s native resolution would play a big part to it (especially on non tubes). i.e. all multiples of ffe’s native resolution don’t work for me but 1280×1024 (aspectfix=1) or even 1650×1024 (aspectfix=0) works well in windowed mode, my screens native res. is 1680×1050, which i use for fullscreen (aspectfix=0). once i was shure i can’t go below 1024 vertical but it seem’s for others it works (maybe native res. is lower than 1024 vert., would be interesting to know).

i think each one has to experiment with the resolutions by himself to find working res., from far i think it’s screen’s native resolution that counts most and it would be good to post different setups for different monitors on different machines, so we can take some inferences and maybe setup a little compatibility chart.

Zardoz
      Participant

I’ll name all my future children “Darkone”! – (Well, maybe Darkone, Darktwo, etc.)

Thank you very much!

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Haha πŸ˜†

Made me laugh this morning Zardoz. Trust me I would really like to be there when you have to explain to your wife on why ‘DarkOne’ must be the childs name that will be a classic.

I am hoping once I push my site update/fixes out I will make another complete package of all of FFED3D again. I will post something when its that time to have people pitch in their contributions and point out mods to have included. I’m just trying to do my part in making sure that people can easily play FFED3D and get access to it.

Bladedancer
      Participant

Hi there Dark ,

I have to say that as some one who played the Original Elite ( Yes i really am that old and still breathing Lol )

then progressed to Elite 2 and onwards that I find your adaptation ….. awesome !.

Ive always wanted to be able to play Elite(s) on an XP OS system but I am not computer literate enough to get them to work.

I dont even remember enough about Dos, or to try get it going in Dosbox or any other form of emulator!.

Any way rambling aside , thanks for giving us this game .

Bladedancer !.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Hi Blade Dancer

If you want to get any old game to run on a modern OS try De-Fend Reloaded, here is a link http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/Download.html

Really easy to set up, then all you have to do is find some games for it….

Deorsa
      Participant

sniff I am a bit of an r’tard, i’m not that great with computers but I try, I open application and it goes “ding”

THE PROGRAM CAN@T START BECAUSE d3dx9_29.dll IS MISSING FROM YOUR COMPUTER, TRY REINSTALLING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.

i did… it no fix… please halp, i keep trying if it works, me swiftly delete post, if not I sulk and stare at computer till reply… may take days… I is pati…. paite…. piat?… Is able to wait long time… that word…

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Might need more info on your system. But I have ran the FFED3D package on XP,Vista and 7 without issue. What I would do is make sure you install the latest directx 9.0 distribution and your gfx card drivers are up to date. Try here: gaming-f20/graphics-card-drivers-and-directx-t25.html

This package has everything you would need in it to run FFED3D. When I am done with SSC’s upgrade I was planning on putting another package together since it has been a few months since the last.

Deorsa
      Participant

Swift response sir, thank you.

I will try the above suggesttions, in the mean time system wise I’m on a windows 7 laptop, I have dos box, intel celeron and chip sets family, admittedly I have no clue what that stuff is but it means for some reason I can’t play my favourite homeworld 2 (gutted I rocked the pants of ppl online in my tweens) and I smoke Lucky strike silver cause i wanted to be cool.

See i tryed the direct x 9, asked me where I wanted to extract it too, said program files and it said no, disk space something or faulty cabinet (wtf!? my cabinet is fine! Its wood and I can see it from here!)

I’m trying to touch all this up with a sense of humour but in honest I’m a lil wolf pup dealing with forces I cannot comprehend it seems lol

Thanks for the help, I’ll try the other options now,

Watch this space, I may have to moan again πŸ™‚

Deorsa
      Participant

Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Thats the one, piece of crap, why can’t I play homeworld 2! thats not the issue though πŸ˜›

Deorsa
      Participant

Nope Mr Darkone, no progrees, downloaded the direct x, no difference same message. I hate computers to be honest. Nothings ever simple and I hate that

I just want to play my crappy lil games and smile cause I’m happy.

I will try to download the file again cause my internet is pooh and maybe it missed out on an important file.

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

If your talking about re-downloading the FFED3D package don’t bother. If you downloaded the archive and you were able to extract it without errors then that should be complete. Depending on which one you download could be a factor, there is a large download (1 file) and a multi-part download (4 smaller files).

You didn’t mention the graphics card in your description but even in not knowing it. You could uninstall all the gfx drivers and directx. Reboot and reinstall them with directx first then your gfx drivers.

And if ffed3d is looking for that file, you could always do a file search on your machine and if you find it copy and drop it in the ffed3d directory. The ffed3d game is all self contained so there is no install and all you should have to do is extract and run the executable.

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Uploaded my latest re-package of FFED3D to include all of the latest models/textures and anything else I could find. I put all mods into the mod manager and added small descriptions. I didn’t verify all the models just because I don’t have the time. But if anyone does see some issues that require a re-package do post them here so we can get them fixed.

My goal with the package is to make life easy for everyone trying to enjoy FFED3D and to simplify using FFED3D for the new people just trying it out.

Note: Since I posted the latest package I removed all the mods from the download area that I know are in the package and have been tested.

Enjoy.

theweasl
      Participant

I dowmloaded and extracted the files onto my desktop and I tried to run the ffe d3d.exe file to run the game (that is what I wnat isn’t it??) and I get the error message.

The application failed to start because d3dx9_29.dll was not found.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks for helping out.

Ok so I read the previous posts and figured it out.

Now to play the game!!!

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Glad you were able to get the game running theweasl. πŸ™‚

I always wondered what became of Zardoz. I wonder how many Dark # he has now! πŸ˜†

Vladel
      Participant

on 1280 by 1024 i can get it to run on a window with the control bar icons showing in a window/fullscreen but the planets look squashed like there is too much height. To change it so the planets look correct, i have to change the resolution to a setting that won’t go to full screen and in window mode, will not show the icons.

On a different note, the mission in question, renovation required, i couldn’t even find the academy on my dosbox version lol

curtsibling
      Participant

I noticed the Wyvern trader ship has a texture problem with the ID letters on the hull – They seem to float several feet away…

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Yes I noticed that too, perhaps changing the font could help?

Potsmoke66
      Participant
      Quote:
      I noticed the Wyvern trader ship has a texture problem with the ID letters on the hull – They seem to float several feet away…

the labels are still from original FFE, sometimes they don’t appear at all sometimes under or over the surface of a model,

depending on how exact the shape fits to the original model.

if you take a DEEEEEP search here and able to work with a HEX editor, i posted once a “how to fix” that here.

but each model has to be edited separately to make labels appear or maybe vanish.

you will need the MESHVIEWER from Jongware

it prints out all models of FFE in a readable form, with some investigations and even more experience, you will find the right data in the FFED3D.EXE and be able to change the positions of all called sub-models including the command for the labels.

due to some hierarchical problems labels (and submodels) won’t appear on some ships at all, this happens, if i remember right if the missiles are called before the label or other sub-models.

if i’m in the mood i will check the Wyvern once, feel free to post other label issues, it’s not a big thing to place them new.

weedon53
      Participant

Just tried to download and when i try extracting the files i get error messages saying the files are corrupt! any advice?

Anonymous

The links are broken πŸ™

Pinback
      Participant

Which links. ❓

If itΓƒΒ’Γ’β€šΒ¬Γ’β€žΒ’s the download on SSC it here http://spacesimcentral.com/downloads/ft … ir=/FFED3D

Or is not working. ❓

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Sorry I should fix the first post about the links. The link Pinback posted should be valid and Geraldine uploaded the files so they should be complete.

I will fix the link issue now in the first post. I have to do this to a lot of posts, and it will take some time.

Potsmoke66
      Participant

i can imagine… πŸ˜‰

some (klnown?) links to elite-games.ru where FFED3D comes from

for english speaking users

forum…

downloads FFED3D “old page”

includes all stuff up to march 2010.

downloads FFED3D “new page”

adds some new models and textures to your setup.

single files, mods created by users (like me) you will find foremost here, but we have to get everything in shape πŸ˜‰

some additional only FFE, GLFFE related downloads,

elite-games.ru FFE files

some Frontier/Elite2 related stuff,

elite-games.ru FE2 files

i only put them here for completeness and because they used to collect all available modifications of FE2/FFE on elite-games.ru.

Vladel
      Participant

The package in the download area won’t open with peazip or 7zip which isn’t very helpful.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Hi Vladel. Firstly thanks for highlighting this! πŸ™‚ I have looked into it and can confirm that both the complete package and the 4 part package quit after downloading 35 odd megs. The problem seems to be you are getting an incomplete download and that’s why you can’t open it. This has happened before on the old server. I will PM Darkone about it. Hopefully he can sort it out. πŸ˜‰

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

I was able to download all of the files in full on my setup at home. But I adjusted the settings for ‘max_execution_time’ and ‘max_input_time’ on the server and that should help a bit with time out issues if that is what you are running into. Can you try to download again and see if that helps?

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Try to help me find the problem by listing some basic specs and perform a quick test.

Go here for more info: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2136

Rarog
      Participant

Full Russian Pack:

http://www.elite-games.ru/conference/vi … hp?t=54998

JeanAHough
      Participant
      theweasl wrote:
      I dowmloaded and extracted the files onto my desktop and I tried to run the ffe d3d.exe file to run the game (that is what I wnat isn’t it??) and I get the error message.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks for helping out.

Now to play the game!!!

Hi theweasl,

Try to follow these steps:

d3dx9_29.dll

This is because you are missing a file.

Step 1. You can download http://www.d3dx9.net/download-missing-d3dx9_29-dll/ here.

Step 2. Paste this file into your system32 and system folder. Also put it in your syswow

Step 3. Navigate to your System32(32Bit OS) or SyWOW64(64Bit OS) Folder.

Note: The location of System32 or SyWOW64 is

C:Windows\System32 (If you are using 32Bit Windows)

C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (if you are using 64Bit Windows)

Step 4.Paste the d3dx9_29.dll into this folder.

Step 5.Run the game. It might work now.

tniemi
      Participant
      theweasl wrote:

Where do I go from here?

Thanks for helping out.

Now to play the game!!!

You do not have DirectX9 installed. Go to Microsoft site and install it.

(My guess is that you have Windows 7 or Windows Vista. Those have more modern DirectX by default.)

More information here.

Rarog
      Participant

FFE D3D -=Full Pack=- v1.12b++ (24.05.2011)

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpost.p … tcount=719

snout
      Participant

Trying to download the 29th June 2012 upload to this website, but it keeps cutting off before the download has finished. Any ideas?

Pinback
      Participant
      'snout' wrote:

Trying to download the 29th June 2012 upload to this website, but it keeps cutting off before the download has finished. Any ideas?

There could be any number of reasons for it not working, try putting a post in the SCC Administration forum http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/forum/3-ssc-administration/ if you still not having any luck with downloading it.

Badpun23
      Participant

First of all, I don’t have the cerebral bandwidth to express the sheer volume of thanks you deserve for everything you’ve done here, so a heartfelt sincere “Thank You!” will have to suffice!

Thank You!

Second, I found this site via a comment on io9 dot com (in case you ever wondered how folk find you).

Third, Thank You again! I’ve been a huge fan of the Elite series since the very fiirst time I watched the ringed planet slowly fill in on the loading screen on my friend’s Acorn Electron back in 1980-whenever-that-was, and it was in fact my trying to enable the necessary extended memory for Frontier in DOS 5.0 (I think…) that set me on the path to all things IT so you can imagine the depth of sentiment I have for Elite.

At the risk of serial repetition, thank you all so much for your generosity, time, effort and (patently obvious) love for these games. Glad that people like me get to benefit!

Steve
      Participant

Just a reminder that the game is available from the download area – under FFED3D.

The index of files might look a bit intimidating, but what you need to do, to get straight in to running the latest version, is…

1. Download FFED3D_Complete.7z and extract it to a new folder (might as well call it FFED3D)
      2. Download FFED3DAJ_v1.11.zip FFED3DAJ_v1.11_CoreFiles.zip and FFED3DAJ_v1.01_ExampleSkins.zip
      3. Extract the contents of those three zips to your FFED3D folder, overwriting when asked
      4. Double-click on the FFED3DAJ file to run the game!

From there you can download other files, such as the bulletin board videos, or cockpit graphics, as desired.

Remember, this is the latest version of FFED3DAJ, until Andy releases v1.12 anyway (hint hint!)

ADMIN: Any reason I can’t post to the New FFED3D builds from Ittiz & AndyJ thread? The site keeps forgetting I’m logged in…

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

ADMIN: Any reason I can’t post to the New FFED3D builds from Ittiz & AndyJ thread? The site keeps forgetting I’m logged in…

Try now, I did a little maintenance this weekend and maybe the cache didn’t update properly. Also make sure you flush your browser cache as well that may be holding old data and causing you some issues.

Steve
      Participant

Yep, that works fine now, cheers. I think my earlier post is ok in the other thread though.

TekPeteTekPete
      Participant

Hi All,
      I’m looking at Steve’s post from March 5, 2018 at 7:55 am. Am I right in thinking that I don’t need to download FIRSTENC.zip from FrpntierAstro?

I’ve never owned or played Frontier First Encounters; I owned a version of Elite for Sinclair Spectrum then a version for PC. Later I bought Frontier Elite and got bored after some missions couldn’t be completed; ie: a ship I was supposed to destroy never arrived. I haven’t played it for several years.

I’ll probably try it out on my laptop – it’s running Windows 7 so I shouldn’t have any issues with missing DLL files. Later I’ll install it on my desktop.

Regards:
      -Pete

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

I haven’t run AndyJ stuff yet, but I would agree with Steve. You shouldn’t need anything but those two packages (FFED3D and AndyJ package)

Gernot66Gernot66
      Participant

complete but with no mods to enable (it is as it is), so to say a FFED3D starter kit, inclusive videos my latest crap and textures in 8bit to speed up loading. it has some issues i will have to explore them, this is a quick and dirty repack.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frlgkhn1h846dr9/FFED3Dgernot20180705.zip?dl=0

Gernot66Gernot66
      Participant
      https://youtu.be/pVAVXgQO2J4
      GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Gernot. It is simply wonderful to see you back, weaving your magic once again. You can do a great many things but my goodness, can you build ships and starports! πŸ™‚

Gernot66Gernot66
      Participant

not bad as i would say.

i guess yes i will have a little spare time to work again on both projects, mostly because i bought this cute notebook for my mom, which is in fact heavy used by myself (i bought it for myself hm?).
      It’s much more fun to work on something if that something runs fine on your machine.

Gernot66Gernot66
      Participant

as usual it was broken this one will work fine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fqqwj55la5pj0x/FFED3Dgernot20180706.zip?dl=0

if one likes to have some of the old ships:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ng728k17cwxx3t1/MODS_ships_ffed3d.zip?dl=0

Steve
      Participant

Nice to see you back, Gernot!

The above links don’t work though πŸ™

AndyJAndyJ
      Participant

“complete but with no mods to enable (it is as it is), so to say a FFED3D starter kit, inclusive videos my latest crap and textures in 8bit to speed up loading. it has some issues i will have to explore them, this is a quick and dirty repack.”

Sorry, but no don’t do this.

FFED3DAJ is my own personal project that I’ve worked on for 5 years now. I’ve put in thousands of hours bug fixing, enhancing and supporting it.
      I provide it to others as a patch to add over FFED3D. That’s it: use it or don’t use it.
      It’s really not cool for anyone to repackage my project and redistribute it.

And that also includes making “show-case” videos under the caption of FFED3DAJ which aren’t using the recommended installation and textures. That gives a false impression of my build and is unlikely to align with how I intend it to be seen.
      I’m not saying that no videos can be created which use it, just that if anyone does wants to show case their own mods/work then please ensure that it has an appropriate title to reflect that, to avoid any potential confusion.

Thanks.

(I really do miss the old download pages that let us describe what our packages are, and how they should be used)

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

(I really do miss the old download pages that let us describe what our packages are, and how they should be used)

Trying to work on a good solution for this. Its frustrating because php sometimes times out for folks with a slow connection and the hacked way I have it now anyone should be able to download because its direct to the file and not through php. I would say it was my host, but I ran into this with the other software I used where I could have file descriptions. People can still upload through the file section in their profile.

Steve
      Participant

@AndyJ – I agree with you about not repackaging your work and making it available for download. It should be an optional extra, though it’s pretty much indispensable!

Regarding showcase videos, again I understand your position but, let’s face it, we probably all have installations of FFED3DAJ with elements which look different to each other. Examples are ships, buildings, starports and the cockpit. Then there’s the various textures – including those provided by Nanite2000 – the in-game text font and even the way the skybox is rendered. What I’m getting at is that I’m not sure there is a “classic” FFED3DAJ look any more, with so many mods and config variables available.

@Gernot66 – IMHO the best way for you to proceed is to make zip files of your new ship and building models available for download (OneDrive and DropBox are good) so that Commanders can add them as and when they want to their install. That should keep everyone happy πŸ™‚

AndyJAndyJ
      Participant

My point on the video was more that it’s just titled with the name of my project. (and no other description)
      If someone finds it on YouTube then they’d assume that it represents my project – which it doesn’t.

If it was titled, I dunno “My Texture & Model mods for FFED3D, July 2018” with a short description underneath – e.g. “Showcasing my texture mod for speedier loading and replacement models for <insert ships/buildings here>” then it’d be clear to anyone finding it what it is.
      As a suggestion I’d include a quick summary of what’s being run – e.g. “My TexturePack1 and ModelPack1 can be found <here>” if it’s to encourage people from YouTube to try it.

Regarding if there is a classic FFED3DAJ “look” – well I do recommended to install it over the Ittiz build of 2013 because it has a more up-to-date collection of models (I know, I’m in trouble saying that in THIS thread!) and yes, to add the nanite2000 high-resolution texture sets. I asked him if he’d like to put together some planet textures for the 1.10 build, as I was adding the functionality to texture different areas of terrain and define which textures to use per-planet type via an ini file. We released the new build and the texture packs at the same time, because that was how I wanted the new build to be seen.
      So if I was going to showcase my build, that would be the setup – the only change to the .cfg being that to enable the planet textures – the “skins” version being the preference although they both look the same in the intro sequence.

I’d agree with anyone creating new content should keep it simple and just zip up the files, perhaps with a text file containing a short description and instruction of where to unpack it if it’s not obvious.
      The mod manager is an extra step to go through, and I’m not sure that most people realise it’s there. If it’s there… the Ittiz build removed it completely (oops).

AndyJAndyJ
      Participant

(I also meant to mention that the base pack that I recommend does include the videos, which is why it’s a much larger download/installation)

Viewing 93 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.