Home Forums General Chat Fusion Power Plants

Viewing 10 reply threads

This HumbleBundle expires on 12/31/2018

• Author
      GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

After reading a thread on the Frontier forum created by Assimilator1,

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2233

it turns out British & American high tech firms working together are busy trying to get a laser powered fusion generator up and runing. Here is a concept vid

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yixhyPN0r3g[/youtube]

If they could scale all that down, one day we might have them powering our homes 🙂

This bundle expires on 12/20/2018

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Nice concept video, would be interested in knowing how far along in this concept are they?

CaptainKalCaptainKal
      Participant
      Quote:
      Nice concept video, would be interested in knowing how far along in this concept are they?

You can also check the ITER programme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant
      CaptainKal wrote:
      You can also check the ITER programme.

Yep all good stuff. Energy is something we will all need in the future once we are all out of fossil fuels. Projects such as these, offer hope for us all in the form of cheap clean energy. This could only help the world’s economy to recover and prosper once again someday. I hope so anyway. I wonder if you could fit a mini version of one of these reactors into a space shuttle? Could be useful to power a decent sized Ion engine 😎

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

I have always liked this technology and cannot wait until it gets more popular and we can use them in our homes its called Bloom Energy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV-AgbJ-enk[/youtube]

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Not bad Darkone. If they could work out a clean cheap fuel source, that could very much be an option for the future. The fuel bills in the UK are crippling at the moment. Cheap energy would be extremely popular here 🙂

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Agreed. The winter is the most expensive time for me because it is darker and colder, and with oil prices the way they are I pay about $600-1000 every two months to keep my house warm. That’s not counting the electricity, so I hope companies like these can get there ideas to the smaller consumers so we can benefit from some of this newer energy technologies. I going to try and save up some money for a pellet stove that I can stick in the fireplace because its cheaper to heat a few rooms with that instead of using oil.

Vorg
      Participant

LENR (cold fusion) seems to be moving faster now then hot. They claim to have summited units to UL which means they have production ready designs. 10kw heating unit the size of a desktop computer runs 180 and has a user repaceable fuel core

SolCommand
      Participant
      DarkOne wrote:
      … and with oil prices the way they are I pay about $600-1000 every two months to keep my house warm….

Now that’s A LOT ! I work at a sports club which spends about 1000$ per month for heating with pellets and they’ve got to heat almost 24/7 an entire building plus 2 covered tennis courts and a football one. You really should switch to pellets mate, sooner rather than later.

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

I would but money is a little tight after my moving and my two chimney’s need a little work to support pellet stoves. Which I have been looking into, I hope I can get one installed this year after the winter months. The pellet stove I would need is the fireplace insert type which are a bit more expensive and I have to get the whole thing installed. I see lots of small projects for this home to make it more energy efficient that’s for sure. I know before in my last home I spent about $1500 a season for heat. But heating oil was a lot cheaper last year and the year before. All this uncertainty in the economies of the world and the Iran issues are making all the oil prices go up.

I would love to have a home that wasn’t on the grid and was self containing for everything. Maybe when all the kids are gone and I can get a home built from scratch with that in mind.

Potsmoke66
      Participant
      Quote:
      … and with oil prices the way they are I pay about $600-1000 every two months to keep my house warm….

a case for a good technician 😉

that’s really a lot, i was guessing 1000SFr. (roundabout 1000$ now) is a lot for heatening with electricity in winter (once some years ago, in a old house from which the tile stove has been removed during the 70’s like in many of our older houses).

must be a quite big house…

or is oil that expensive in the states?

well, could prevent from waisting to much.

pellets aren’t bad, i installed some aggregates in my job. but i guess if you invest already or willing to invest some, invest in heat recovery. it’s stunning what is possible today,

buildings like whole rest home and a supemarket, heatened with 3°C difference of temperature between ground and surface.

the installation is expensive, but no more cost for a energy source except a little electricity for the compressors.

of course this needs a perfect insulated and sealed building, else it makes no sense.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.