Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Hello, new player in need of help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    Participant

Greetings all.

While perusing the internet for a new game to play, I came across Pioneer, and nearly fell off my chair. I am in love with Elite 2.

Anyway, I download the latest build, alpha 13. I get it unzipped, then click on the exe, and I get the screen that says it is generating the solar system or what-not, then it goes to a full black screen and crashes right back to the desktop. My computer then proceeds to tell me that my intel graphics shut down, but has been recovered. I attempted to run the game in administrator mode, and in compatibility modes and such, and still, the same thing happens. I have a laptop, and it IS integrated intel garbage, but is that what is deterring my computer from running the game? I’m not sure if that is the issue. Is there a fix?

my specs: Pentium Dual-Core T4300

2.10 ghz

4 gigs ram

win7 64-bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can’ stop salivating over the screenshots.

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

Participant

In the game directory there should be two logfiles, stdout.txt and stderr.txt, can you check if they contain any error messages.

Participant

Hey Luomu. Thanks for your suggestion, but I went through the whole folder and didn’t find either of those logfiles. I’m gonna do a driver check and make sure everything is up to date. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Participant

have u treid the latest nigthly build ?

Participant
    Vanatos wrote:
    , but I went through the whole folder and didn’t find either of those logfiles.

They will(should) be in the same folder as the .exe file.

Participant

Might. I never got stdout or stderr until I built my own executable. Once I did they were in the same folder as pioneer.exe.

Participant

This same with @13 happen to me on my laptop, too. I’ve Lenovo with build-in graphic card from Intel. So, I think, it’s a problem with Intel cards. Another computers with another graphic chips work without problems…

Participant

Unfortunately none of the regular devs are using Intel chips so there’s been very little testing with them. Until that changes its unlikely that much will change.

Participant
    robn wrote:
    Unfortunately none of the regular devs are using Intel chips so there’s been very little testing with them. Until that changes its unlikely that much will change.

I have two. One crashes all the time, which is to be forgiven because the driver has my hardware blacklisted and I’ve forced it to run anyway. The other has some cosmetic glitches, but is otherwise stable. That one’s my work PC, though, so I can’t really do a lot of testing on it. Neither of them are very pretty, because neither support shaders.

I’ve never run Pioneer on Windows, so I couldn’t comment on that at all.

Participant

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I tried downloading the last 3 nightly builds, to no avail. I really would of liked to run it on my comp, but it seems my graphics card just is NOT compatible. (damn you Intel!)

I finally gave in and installed the latest nightly build on my girlfriends comp, which is also Intel. For some reason it works perfectly on that computer. So I’ve basically boiled it down to the fact that since my comp is a laptop and hers is a desktop, it must be the integrated graphics card that is causing the issues.

Anyway, now that I’ve finally gotten to play it, I was simply BLOWN AWAY. Congrats to the developers on such a brilliant piece of work! Please, keep it up, to have a fully realised space sim of this nature is a dream for myself, and many other people. Just exploring the galaxy is a ton of fun. The game exudes the feeling of being out there in the stars so well that absolutely no other game can even come close. Once again, congratulations and major kudos to the developers, you guys are awesome!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.