Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Implementation of Black Holes and rewards for visiting them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    Participant

Hi guys,

Enjoying each release of this project and it’s coming along nicely 🙂

What I’d like to ask is, are black holes going to make it in to the game ?

Stellar ( in solar systems ), Medium ( globular clusters ) and Super-massive ( galactic centre ) ?

Three main classes but I think the important two would be the stellar-sized ones present at the centre of systems, where a star had gone supernova, and the super-massive one at the centre of the galaxy. After all, Frontier said that there was one at the centre of the galaxy was present in FFE but it never actually was. So, as another improvement over Frontier – why not add that black hole in ?

If you are going to add the super-massive one in and program the gravity, effects etc in to the game then why not create the smaller sizes or at least the stellar-sized one in random systems throughout the galaxy ?

A really nice feature to the game, especially when accretion disc are present around some ( but not all of them ) including the super-massive one at the galaxy’s core.

As an incentive to visiting them, you could place random ship wrecks close the the horizon of some, but to make it more interesting, not all of the holes present in the game. At least then you could practice your piloting skills to retrieve the wrecks, which would be hard, for salvaging or even to pick up special artefacts from that can be useful to your ship as equipment.

Adding black holes in seems to be a worthy addition along with pulsars etc and would make the galaxy feel more complete as they are actually out there in reality.

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Correct me if I am wrong, but is there not already black holes within the game someplace? I recall someone posted a picture or video a while back. Maybe I dreamt it 😕

Participant

There are 3 types of black holes already in game

Here is nice video of some experimental hackery done by our dear developer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPn3U5OOSKk&html5=True

Participant

🙂

Here’s the only static one at the moment.. Although I’m pretty sure I implemented the 2 smaller types of blackholes too, but they are oh so rare 🙂

They are all in the code and have their own graphics… I just don’t remember if I commented out the code for their placement… Thats for the smaller ones, the larger type does not get placed except once and that is for the center 😉

[attachment=842:pioneer-msvc-9 2011-07-13 21-26-40-30.png]

Unfortunately it falls victim to being outside of the unexplored space radius, so you cannot view the system data, unless you go there of course…

If your wondering how on Earth I got the camera there without waiting for several years… its left shift and arrow keys… right shift is slower.

Quote:
    pulsars

Yeah I don’t know why I added in something as obscure as a Wolf Rayet star and forgot to include a pulsar 😆

Participant

by the looks of it its already progressing well

Participant

Go to the data/systems/core folder, open the black hole.lua and at the bottom, you see this line:

s:add_to_sector(-3125,0,v(0.5,0.5,0.0))

Just change the -3125 to 1, then you’ll have the black hole next to Sol.

When you jump to that system, at 10 AU distance you accelerate with tens of km/s² towards the black hole so you have absolutely no control. but since the thing isn’t solid, once you enter the center you’re being slung away with an incredible speed. I read something in the order of 80 million km/s, 270 times the speed of light 😎

Participant
    s2odan wrote:

Yeah I don’t know why I added in something as obscure as a Wolf Rayet star and forgot to include a pulsar 😆

WR star? Where? I’d like to visit such a star and watch the hull of my ship get a tan 🙂

Participant
    Azimech wrote:
    When you jump to that system, at 10 AU distance you accelerate with tens of km/s² towards the black hole so you have absolutely no control. but since the thing isn’t solid, once you enter the center you’re being slung away with an incredible speed. I read something in the order of 80 million km/s, 270 times the speed of light 😎

That’s a good point – the game should bring you out of hyperspace at a safe distance from the star/other bodies *mental note*

Participant
    Quote:
    Go to the data/systems/core folder

Bah, I deliberately didn’t mention that… Its better to keep these things mystical, or enigmanatic 😉

Quote:
    WR star? Where?

Seek and ye shall find.

The truth is I don’t know where they are as there aren’t any in custom systems like the galactic black-hole.

Participant

Due to a current bug in the game, there is a super-massive blackhole within range of Earth 🙂

Its sector 1,75 in the Uren system.

Participant

If I’m looking for a WR star, does it have a unique colour or description in the star map? A system of multiple stars doesn’t have the spectral class of the primary star shown in the description. I know, it’s not really important for the game, it’s just that I’m really curious.

Participant

Sector view shows the colour of the primary star. Star colours used in the sector view are taken from the starColors table in StarSystem.cpp. For Wolf-Rayet stars, those values are:

Code:
    { 1.0, 0.2, 0.0 }, // Red/M Wolf Rayet Star
    { 0.7, 0.7, 1.0 }, // Blue/B Wolf Rayet Star
    { 1.0, 0.7, 1.0 }, // Purple-Blue/O Wolf Rayet Star

(R,G,B values, 0.0 minimum, 1.0 maximum).

That said, you won’t find a WR star in the standard universe. They are never selected during random system generation and there aren’t currently any custom systems that create one.

Participant

In that case, I wouldn’t mind adding a few (RL existing) ones myself. Once I learn how, that is.

Participant

Oh sorry Rob’s right they aren’t actually placed in the game. Although there was a bug which would let them be created as a companion star to a white dwarf which led to the creation of the blackhole I mentioned a few posts back.

Quote:
    In that case, I wouldn’t mind adding a few (RL existing) ones myself. Once I learn how, that is.

That would be great, use the blackhole custom system as a base if you like as its pretty simple.

I also have an extensive star catalogue of named stars for future use with the game, so if you can give me the name of any WF stars that you add I can hopefully give you some reliable co-ordinates for the game 🙂

Oh and just so you know if there were any WF stars in the game right now, they would have a different description in the sector view and have a large icon IIRC, although the colours would be similar to other stars of similar spectral class. They would also have their own graphic in the system-view, but as for actually in-system from the players perspective they would not be anything special.

Participant
    s2odan wrote:
    That would be great, use the blackhole custom system as a base if you like as its pretty simple.

I also have an extensive star catalogue of named stars for future use with the game, so if you can give me the name of any WF stars that you add I can hopefully give you some reliable co-ordinates for the game 🙂

That’s very interesting 🙂 the Black Hole system as a base would be a good thing, as I’ve read WF (or is it WR?) stars probably wouldn’t have planetary companions due to the extreme http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo_evaporation

Maybe this system is a nice one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_Velorum

In Stellarium I see it almost halfway on the line Alpha Centauri – Sirius, and with the distance being 840 LY I suspect the right place would be in sector (0,105). Not a very scientific way but it’s all I have 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.