Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Implementation of Black Holes and rewards for visiting them.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    Participant

Excellent ๐Ÿ™‚ I have a Gamma 2 Velorum here.. it may or may not be the one you found.

Anway the co-ordinates of that should be -32,-253.4,-34.4. That same star map would put Sirius at these co-ordinates: -1.8,-1.9,-0.4.

I have just been reminded from this that in Pioneer our star chart is back-to front ๐Ÿ™‚ At least when you compare it to traditional cartesian star maps.

Ok so it looks like that is not the right star ๐Ÿ™ Thats a shame, does it have any other numbers or anything associated with it?

I have a delta velorum here, Kappa velorum, many other letters too but no Gamma ๐Ÿ™

Actually… That could well be the star, I forgot that cartesian co-ordinate for the star is not the same format as Pioneer. It is not using sectors but Parsecs.. So actually I think we have found the right star…

Yeah I did the math, thats the star, woohoo. Distance is 257.7 Parsecs which is 850 LY :D.

It also says there is a Supergiant Class O orbiting alongside a WC8 star which I assume is the wolf Rayet class…? Wiki confirms that:

Quote:

Velorum A, is actually a spectroscopic binary composed of a blue supergiant of spectral class O9 (30 Mรƒยขร‹ล“รขโ‚ฌยฐ), and a massive Wolf-Rayet star, the heaviest known (10 Mรƒยขร‹ล“รขโ‚ฌยฐ, originally approx. 40 Mรƒยขร‹ล“รขโ‚ฌยฐ)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

Participant

Seems you have a lot of enthousiasm ๐Ÿ™‚

I would like to learn how to interpret those starmaps so I can add a lot of stars myself. Spica and the Pleiades for example. But also VY Canis Majoris, Antares, Betelgeuse, Canopus, Pistol Star etc.

Participant
    Quote:
    Seems you have a lot of enthousiasm

Ah I was just happy to see that the starmap more or less correlated with our own data ๐Ÿ™‚

The problems with adding new stars is:

A. Our stars co-ordinates are all wrong.

B. Means any new stars also have to be wrong.

C. If we do change to a 3d galaxy as has been discussed, literally all stars would have to be replaced/removed as *all* of the stars from the starmap I mentioned are added with correct co-ordinates.

The starmap in question would contain AFAIK every star you would have ever heard of.. It is a combination of several starcharts which I arranged and removed un-needed stars, I removed at least 12,000 of them. We’re left with over 3000 named stars and constellation stars.

Participant

The use of real starcharts could be nice, 3000 known stars are more than enough. But then the use of the star map in Pioneer would be obsolete. A button so most of the nearby stars on the standard view would receive labels in changing colour for hyperspace range would probably suffice, together with making all the planets and other bodies of the system you’re in, invisible. But that would mean that any system you jump to, needs all the background stars in the correct location. And a search function would probably be needed too then. The custom modified systems could have the labels alternate between official name and custom name every second, populated systems could have a small + sign behind the label. And a slider to increase/decrease the amount of stars with labels, according to distance. But that’s part of it. Is that a bit along the line you guys discussed?

[attachment=852:test1.jpg]

[attachment=853:test2.jpg]

Participant

Thanks for the answers guys :).

I’m very satisfied with what has been show and discussed so far.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if that if you manage to pass through the centre of the super massive black hole you end up in a different galaxy, say Andromeda for example ?

You could explain the crushing effects of the singularity away by an artefact or special ship you have to aquire that can do the job. Would be an interesting twist to the game and give another reason for visiting it.

Still like the idea of finding derelict or lost ships around some black holes as well.

3D galaxy, I would say that would be a fantastic feature as it would put it on par with Infinity: Quest for Earth and adds more realism.

Participant
    Quote:
    But that’s part of it. Is that a bit along the line you guys discussed?

No, not like that. I was talking about a 3d sector view which would make Pioneer’s galaxy proper 3d as opposed to its psuedo 2d galaxy. So as well as X and Y co-ordinates you also have Z. In-system is unchanged.

Since we spoke about it, Tom has waved his magic wand and made it happen ๐Ÿ™‚ Its not merged yet so you can only check it out if you compile it yourself.

It would be great to have a proper 3d in-system view of the galaxy too, with the correct stars shining and selectable, but I think its just out of the current scope of the project. And a lot of stuff would have to be re-written, its not impossible, just very unlikely.

Participant

I know a way to defy the gravity of a black hole: find the Higgs-boson and learn how to manipulate the Higgs field in such a manner that all particles lose mass. Bonus: Instant acceleration & deceleration from 0 to lightspeed and back without any G forces.

๐Ÿ˜€

Participant

Oh is that *all* ๐Ÿ˜‰

MarcelMarcel
    Participant

You simply have to adjust the frammistat on your hyperdrive until you’ve reversed the polarity of the neutron flow. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But seriously, did you say that tomm has implemented a true 3D galaxy? If so that’s a dream come true for me! ๐Ÿ˜€

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant
    Marcel wrote:
    reversed the polarity of the neutron flow. ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ˜ฎ Oh no! Not that old Pertwee line! ๐Ÿ˜†

MarcelMarcel
    Participant
    Code:
    Oh no! Not that old Pertwee line!

If he wouldn’t know how to do it, Who would? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Participant

First you have to give a neutron some polarity, before you can even begin to try reversing it. Not sure how you’d do that without stopping it from being a neutron. Tricky indeed.

Darkman wrote:
    Still like the idea of finding derelict or lost ships around some black holes as well.

Why on Earth are black holes needed? Derelict or lost ships anywhere would be pretty cool.

Participant
    Darkman wrote:

Brianetta wrote:
    Why on Earth are black holes needed? Derelict or lost ships anywhere would be pretty cool.

As an incentive to keep on going back, after all they are just a black hole with a ring of gas being dragged in to it. Derelict ships could be found anywhere, why not ? Be interesting to find the occasional one around a gas giant, asteroid etc. Maybe you can find the rare opportunity of finding a research vessel around one that you have to rescue with a tractor beam or something.

Participant
    Darkman wrote:
    Maybe you can find the rare opportunity of finding a research vessel around one that you have to rescue with a tractor beam or something.

Sounds like a job for Lua. There’s nothing in the way of getting started on scripting this right now.

Participant

anyone feel like adding a research find abandoned ship mission or encounter into game

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.