Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

Besides monthly games you also get access to over 60 free games in their library

• Author
    Participant
    Istvan wrote:
    BrianRubin wrote:
    Can you answer me this: If JGE turns into vaporware, can maybe the design changes/graphics and so on be slowly implemented into JGC?

Yes. And I’m sad to say that “slowly” will probably be the operative word for now, until I can convince management that the project is worth adding some further resources. But within the limits of what I’m able to implement myself, that’s absolutely my direction, where it fits the spirit of Jumpgate.

Istvan, even though I’m unemployed and money is tight, you might just have convinced me to come back. 😉 Well done. 🙂

A bunch of classics here on the cheap if you get them all in one bundle

Participant

All I can say to you BrianRubin is that your support would be very welcome.

For anyone that hasn’t tried Jumpgate I will say that you have no idea what you’re missing. Ok it looks 10 years old and has some minor issues with the learning curve for new players and a few ‘Features’ that Istvan is working his way through.

The only other thing that might put off any new players is the community, we’re a pretty tight bunch and from the outside I guess it can seem a bit like ‘An Old Boys Network’ but that’s what makes the JG community special.

We’re all working to make our community bigger and I feel there are times that some of us need to hear an outside perspective, if only to prompt us to take another look at what we take for granted. In short JG is well worth your effort, time and money but as with everything, you only get out what you put in.

Participant

As some of you may know the future of Jumpgate has been under a cloud of late. There were a number of options being explored to keep the game and the community together.

Today Anguish has posted an update on the situation and it isn’t looking positive –

Folks, I promised you that I’d share with you when and as I had information. I promised that Soon ™ wouldn’t apply and we wouldn’t drag things out.

Things are not going well. While a last-ditch effort is not impossible, the odds of successful transfer of control/ownership/operation of Jumpgate into the community are now significantly reduced from where they were last week.

I can’t get into specifics as to the why of this. I am simply taking this moment to relate to you that as we understand things, the future is… likely dim.

The the servers go dark, you’ll know why.

By all means, use the Facebook group or whatever to stay in touch as we’re not down to zero options yet, but we’re close. Should things change, I’ll let you know.

Until the true end, folks… it’s been a pleasure.

For the full story please visit the JG forums.

Participant

Sigh, sad, but sadly seems inevitable.

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

This in reference to both JC and JGE or just JC? I know the JGE has its own issues with Codemasters.

Participant
    Darkone wrote:
    This in reference to both JC and JGE or just JC? I know the JGE has its own issues with Codemasters.

JC.

Participant

Although many from JG (JC) would tell you otherwise the two are linked.

I have no ‘Official’ information but I’d guess that the law suit against Gazillion from Code Masters has a great deal to do with them not being able to do a deal with community for JG (JC). So indirectly ND’s and Gazillion’s inability to deliver JGE has killed off JG (JC) and made JGE impossible to make/sell in the future.

I haven’t visited the JGE forums in a very long time and have no idea on the state of the game or the community, once the issues with Code Masters were released I walked away from JGE and vowed never to play it after way EU members had been treated. So I doubt anyone, other than Scott Brown or Istvan could convince many JG players and former JGE community members to play another game with the word Jumpgate in the title.

It’s sad how things have turned out and it feels like Gazillion have left players like me with no alternative.

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

In the end everyone gets what is due to them. Maybe the direction Gazillion is taking is the wrong one and will hurt the company who knows. Do I blame CodeMasters not in the slightest, they were just an investor that wanted to make money off a good game that needed some funding. Gazillion bumbled this one and as you said Taymar it is probably going to adversely effect JC in the process.

Probably the only thing good that could come of this is Gazillion releasing the source to JC to the community and let them continue it. The game is over 10yrs old and probably isn’t a huge money maker for them any more due to the de-funding of the project.

I know it takes a lot to build a successful MMO but it also takes the right vision and management to get it done. We cannot blame the developers it is much higher than a coder/gfx artist. The JGE forums are pretty much bare and only a few posts are in March. I think even if the games are saved they will not regain the hype they once had and people will be apprehensive in jumping into JC or JGE after all this drama recently.

Participant

I was one of the first 2 in JGC beta and was very interested in JGE and the things they said they where adding. But they said they had some AI bug that was giving them troubles. Then they scrap what they had and took off in another direction that was of no interest and was just more of the same every other instant action pvp game, only with space ships.

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

I think back in June (think it was 2009) they were supposed to release and they didn’t. I think they could have worked through that AI issue and it wouldn’t have impacted them to bad if they told the community about it. But switching directions away from what they were telling us for years was a hit to the popularity of the game. Once they announced a PvP style only game I lost interest almost immediately in the project. Sometimes you wonder, if netDevil never looked for additional funding if the project would still be on track? Or least invest in JGC more and try to get some revenue from that to fund the project.

Is JGC servers running still?

Participant

By June 2009 I’m pretty sure Gazillion was calling shots, not Netdevil. I doubt very much that Scott would have done that about-face without having his hand seriously forced.

Regarding JGC, yes the servers are still up, but all ops have been moved from Colorado to San Mateo, CA. Unfortunately the account management system is still borked so no accounts can be created or reactivated right now — so only those who were active at time of borkage can still play.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.