Home Forums Classic/Retro Space Games Freelancer Mostly Harmless

• This topic has 0 voices and 158 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 160 total)
  • Author

PINBACK

Mod to convert the original Elite into Freelancer http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless

I seem to a have bit of problem in that I I can not get Freelancer to work I have reinstalled it but it just plays the intro then crashes to desktop.

Will have to see if it will work on the Windows 7 computer.

Stormprooter

Hi Pinback,

It can be tricky getting FL to work sometimes. Best approach is to completely uninstall, and make sure to remove all data from <My Documents>My GamesFreelancer folder, do a completely clean install, and then apply any mods.

Also with Vista/Win7/Win8 remember to disable 3D sound as this causes problems with some modern audio hardware, and if you’re not using a widescreen monitor you will need to alter the HudShift.ini file under DATAINTERFACE under you installation folder. I will have to pull my finger out and get thses niggles sorted out….

Gunbladelad

That is an issue with some mods.  What to do is make a couple of sub-folders (one for each mod you use (under XP the folder is “My DocumentsMy GamesFreelancerAcctsSinglePlayer” – make your sub-folders there and name them in such a way you won’t mix them up, for example, one called “Mostly Harmless” and one called, “Vanilla”).

With those folders in place, delete all files in the singleplayer folder itself (or move them to the folder for the mod) then start up the game.  Remember to get the autosave and restart files.  If the game doesn’t detect them there it creates appropriate ones for the mod currently being run.

Each time you wish to play a different mod (or the vanilla install of Freelancer), you MUST remember to move the files around or you’ll get the crash to desktop after the splash screen.  Freelancer in general tends to read the save files while the splash screen’s up and if it comes across one with data that doesn’t match the ingame universe, it has trouble coping and crashes to the desktop without explanation.

Stormprooter

What Gun said. If you use FLMM to apply the mods, it will sort this out for you in most cases.

Gunbladelad

Agreed – FLMM does actually do this automatically for most mods, but it doesn’t seem to do this for “Mostly Harmless” at the moment.  It’s easy enough to do manually though.

Stormprooter

Hehehe, it works on my machine 😀 (Classic developer’s response)

Obviously I’ve missed something somewhere… another bug to hunt down.

Gunbladelad

It may be to do with the version of FLMM rather than the mod itself – I’m currently using 1.3 because it’s compatible with the widest variety of Mods.

Even so, it’s always handy for people to know of solutions to minor issues like this.

PINBACK

I have tried a re install Freelancer on the XP computer but it had the same results as above.

Will look at cleaning out all of the freelancer folders from the c drive and then doing the re install.

Gunbladelad

As I said, make sure that the save folder is empty.  When you install Freelancer it automatically creates the restart.fl file, so make sure that’s not in the folder when you start the mod.

Out of interest, does Freelancer itself (without the mostly harmless mod) crash to desktop upon installation, or is it just the mod?

Stormprooter

Thanks for picking this up Gun – most appreciated.

PINBACK

Out of interest, does Freelancer itself (without the mostly harmless mod) crash to desktop upon installation, or is it just the mod?

I installed the mod which installed itself into FLMM then started the mod which showed the Elite Harmless screen then it crashed.

It was then that I noticed that Freelancer had stop working, not had a chance to get back to it at the moment and it will probable be the weekend before I have chance to look at reinstalling the game.

Gunbladelad

OK, what to do is what I suggested – navigate to the save game folder ( “My DocumentsMy GamesFreelancerAcctsSinglePlayer” ), delete all files from in there, then try launching the game again.

PINBACK

OK, what to do is what I suggested – navigate to the save game folder ( “My DocumentsMy GamesFreelancerAcctsSinglePlayer” ), delete all files from in there, then try launching the game again.

I don’t seem to have that file in “my documents” the only one in their is the mod files, in less it is in with these ones.

Gunbladelad

OK, launch Freelancer to start with (no mods), and it should create that folder then.  If you want, start a new game, then quit right away.  (this should also add in the “autosave.fl” file.)

Once that’s done, shift the files out of the folder as I said above, use FLMM to activate the “Mostly Harmless” mod, and it should run perfectly (with luck…)

Stormprooter

I remember the first time I tried to apply a total conversion mod (The Void, I think it was) – took me 6 attempts before I completely sussed out all the niggles involved in applying FL mods. It’s not extremely difficult, but at the same time, it’s not always straightforward if you are unfamiliar with the process.

Now I have a copy of a clean FL installation backed up to save having to re-install every time I mess it up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 160 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.