Home Forums Classic/Retro Space Games Freelancer Mostly Harmless

Viewing 160 reply threads

This HumbleBundle expires on 12/31/2018

• Author
      PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Mod to convert the original Elite into Freelancer http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Dbhs_fKE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuKp5n4PZyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnLeU3n-7Po

I seem to a have bit of problem in that I I can not get Freelancer to work I have reinstalled it but it just plays the intro then crashes to desktop.

Will have to see if it will work on the Windows 7 computer.

This bundle expires on 12/20/2018

Stormprooter
      Participant

Hi Pinback,

It can be tricky getting FL to work sometimes. Best approach is to completely uninstall, and make sure to remove all data from <My Documents>My GamesFreelancer folder, do a completely clean install, and then apply any mods.

Also with Vista/Win7/Win8 remember to disable 3D sound as this causes problems with some modern audio hardware, and if you’re not using a widescreen monitor you will need to alter the HudShift.ini file under DATAINTERFACE under you installation folder. I will have to pull my finger out and get thses niggles sorted out….

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

That is an issue with some mods.  What to do is make a couple of sub-folders (one for each mod you use (under XP the folder is “My DocumentsMy GamesFreelancerAcctsSinglePlayer” – make your sub-folders there and name them in such a way you won’t mix them up, for example, one called “Mostly Harmless” and one called, “Vanilla”).

With those folders in place, delete all files in the singleplayer folder itself (or move them to the folder for the mod) then start up the game.  Remember to get the autosave and restart files.  If the game doesn’t detect them there it creates appropriate ones for the mod currently being run.

Each time you wish to play a different mod (or the vanilla install of Freelancer), you MUST remember to move the files around or you’ll get the crash to desktop after the splash screen.  Freelancer in general tends to read the save files while the splash screen’s up and if it comes across one with data that doesn’t match the ingame universe, it has trouble coping and crashes to the desktop without explanation.

Stormprooter
      Participant

What Gun said. If you use FLMM to apply the mods, it will sort this out for you in most cases.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Agreed – FLMM does actually do this automatically for most mods, but it doesn’t seem to do this for “Mostly Harmless” at the moment.  It’s easy enough to do manually though.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Hehehe, it works on my machine 😀 (Classic developer’s response)

Obviously I’ve missed something somewhere… another bug to hunt down.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

It may be to do with the version of FLMM rather than the mod itself – I’m currently using 1.3 because it’s compatible with the widest variety of Mods.

Even so, it’s always handy for people to know of solutions to minor issues like this.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

I have tried a re install Freelancer on the XP computer but it had the same results as above.

Will look at cleaning out all of the freelancer folders from the c drive and then doing the re install.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

As I said, make sure that the save folder is empty.  When you install Freelancer it automatically creates the restart.fl file, so make sure that’s not in the folder when you start the mod.

Out of interest, does Freelancer itself (without the mostly harmless mod) crash to desktop upon installation, or is it just the mod?

Stormprooter
      Participant

Thanks for picking this up Gun – most appreciated.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Out of interest, does Freelancer itself (without the mostly harmless mod) crash to desktop upon installation, or is it just the mod?

I installed the mod which installed itself into FLMM then started the mod which showed the Elite Harmless screen then it crashed.

It was then that I noticed that Freelancer had stop working, not had a chance to get back to it at the moment and it will probable be the weekend before I have chance to look at reinstalling the game.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

OK, what to do is what I suggested – navigate to the save game folder ( “My DocumentsMy GamesFreelancerAcctsSinglePlayer” ), delete all files from in there, then try launching the game again.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

OK, what to do is what I suggested – navigate to the save game folder ( “My DocumentsMy GamesFreelancerAcctsSinglePlayer” ), delete all files from in there, then try launching the game again.

I don’t seem to have that file in “my documents” the only one in their is the mod files, in less it is in with these ones.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

OK, launch Freelancer to start with (no mods), and it should create that folder then.  If you want, start a new game, then quit right away.  (this should also add in the “autosave.fl” file.)

Once that’s done, shift the files out of the folder as I said above, use FLMM to activate the “Mostly Harmless” mod, and it should run perfectly (with luck…)

Stormprooter
      Participant

I remember the first time I tried to apply a total conversion mod (The Void, I think it was) – took me 6 attempts before I completely sussed out all the niggles involved in applying FL mods. It’s not extremely difficult, but at the same time, it’s not always straightforward if you are unfamiliar with the process.

Now I have a copy of a clean FL installation backed up to save having to re-install every time I mess it up.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

I just not being able to get Freelancer to run, I have uninstalled and installed it a number of time as well as uninstalling  FLMM  with no effect.

My only guess is that their maybe some thing wrong with the disk.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

If Freelancer itself isn’t working then it does sound like a bad install.

I’m sure that Amazon will likely still have copies of the game still going relatively cheaply if you want to try a different disc.  I’m sure there are dubious websites & hosts out there with downloadable copies, but I wouldn’t trust them a bit.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Silly question, but are DirectX8 + 9 installed correctly on the machine?

You can try installing directX off the installation folder that is on the Freelancer disk –  you may find you have one of the dlls missing….

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Never thought about about the DX as the other games are still working.

Will have a look.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Well, finally I can get back to some 3D modelling this weekend, after several false starts due to work and family stuff.

Gotta get those rotating stations done!

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

I have to admit that I’ve been having fun with this during the time the Discovery UK server’s been down, but I do have to say it’s extremely tricky to make any kind of funds early on – the fastest method being completing missions, which is in itself no easy task as you’ll spend most of your time trying to inflict any hull damage on the enemies at all.

I’ve done a bit of poking around and it seems as if there’s not really much reason for players to upgrade to haulage ships at all in terms of the actual price lists.  Mind you, I probably have been spoiled with the Discovery Mod’s massively profitable traderoutes…

Stormprooter
      Participant

I have to admit that I’ve been having fun with this during the time the Discovery UK server’s been down, but I do have to say it’s extremely tricky to make any kind of funds early on – the fastest method being completing missions, which is in itself no easy task as you’ll spend most of your time trying to inflict any hull damage on the enemies at all.

I’ve done a bit of poking around and it seems as if there’s not really much reason for players to upgrade to haulage ships at all in terms of the actual price lists.  Mind you, I probably have been spoiled with the Discovery Mod’s massively profitable traderoutes…

Cargo capacities and commodity prices are all inherited from the original Elite – which perhaps does not work so well in Freelancer – this aspect as well as general game balancing will be looked at for the next version. I remember from the original Elite that it was not easy to make big money fast.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

The balancing can wait for now as it’ll be likely a substantial amount of time before people make enough funds to be able to afford the larger haulage ships.  I did kind of “cheat” and used Freelancer Companion to bring up the price lists.

It does seem a bit odd to me that computers fetched a much higher profit than alien items though.  Such a pity it’s (almost certainly) not possible to encode bar NPCs to purchase things at boosted rates.  (like the BBS in Frontier and FFE)

Stormprooter
      Participant

The quickest way I’ve found to build up some cash is to trade between Quitiri (buy computers, sell furs) and Isinor (buy furs, sell computers) in the Zaonce system until you have upgraded the starting ship (Adder) with the best shields, best engine, power plant, scanner and get a beam laser, ecm and plenty of missiles and do the easiest missions possible. I have found that the destroy installation missions are the simplest, if you know the trick to them, which I will now share:

Get to about 3km from the things you need to destroy and stand off attack from there, creep towards them slowly until your laser is in range – you will be out of range of their defenses, if you have to destroy any ships in the area as well, after destroying the installation/missile platforms, head towards the nav point for the enemy ships to appear, then take them out.

When you start completing missions, the money soon starts rolling in and you can get bigger and more powerful ships step-by-step. I did the following

Adder (light fighter)

Sidewinder (small fighter)

Viper Mk I (medium fighter)

then straight to a Cobra Mk III (very heavy fighter)

Making sure I had enough cash to upgrade shields, engine and power plant when getting a new ship.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Don’t worry – I’ve already upgraded to the Cobra – I’ve had plenty of time during the Discovery UK server downtime – it was actually the base kill missions that I used to raise funds quickest.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Out of interest, Stormprooter, how long do you think it will be before you’re able to implement multiplayer in this?

If you want an extra pair of hands to test things out I should be able to get things going on a LAN to see how it pans out.

Stormprooter
      Participant

I have no idea on timescales for multiplayer – it’s not an aspect of FL development I have looked at in any way as yet. I have not had time to do any more work on this since I released it back in June – so I really don’t know.

I think I have to get familiar with server stuff like FLHook and other bits to do with anti-cheat – will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I hope to get back onto development in the next few weeks.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

No problem – While I’ve not done much in the way of flhook coding, I have experimented with the plugins that are present in the Discovery 4.86 mod and it seems straightforward enough.  Just give me a nudge if you’re needing help and I’ll see if I can work it out.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Any news on this at all?

I know on your facebook page you mentioned that work is in progress on Multiplayer, which was on my wish list for it.

Stormprooter
      Participant

No problem – While I’ve not done much in the way of flhook coding, I have experimented with the plugins that are present in the Discovery 4.86 mod and it seems straightforward enough.  Just give me a nudge if you’re needing help and I’ll see if I can work it out.

Still in the planning/research stages at the moment. I have managed to get FLServer running with the mod on my development machine, but I am struggling to find time to add in FLHook (something I will have to learn). There are also a few additions to the mod I want to add. These are asteroid fields & pirate bases (pirate bases should be hidden), adding these will then allow me to add pirate patrol paths & trade lane attacks. There are other bits and pieces I need to sort out to make multiplayer work completely properly – config files for starting a multiplayer game and the like. I have made some progress though, I have managed to get the Thargoid Warships to start appearing again (I lost them when fiddling with difficulty settings and state graphs and nasty things like that, that don’t make much sense to me) Also fixed a bug where it was impossible to buy turrets for the Python.

With the recent releases of BF4 and CoD Ghosts, I am somewhat distracted at the moment 😀

I will probably spend a few more hours on this over the weekend, but I do intend to get this completed – then I have to find a place to host it…

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Sounds like you’re making promising progress on this.  I’ve mentioned your last post to some of the team on the PTC server who are one of those looking for a new mod to host due to being dissatisfied with the direction the Discovery Mod has been taking and yours was one of those that was discussed a while back.

Remember that I’m more than happy to help you out in whatever way I can.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Sounds like you’re making promising progress on this.  I’ve mentioned your last post to some of the team on the PTC server who are one of those looking for a new mod to host due to being dissatisfied with the direction the Discovery Mod has been taking and yours was one of those that was discussed a while back.

Remember that I’m more than happy to help you out in whatever way I can.

Well, if someone is interested in hosting the mod, I’d better get cracking! 😀

Thanks for this, it has given me some extra motivation to find time to get on with it.

How’s this for a plan:

I will get the current ‘fixed’ version as ready for MP as I can and send it to you to have a look (probably via my dropbox) – perhaps you can get FLHook configured on it, and also perhaps submit it to PTC for them to try out.

One possible extra change will be the starting money and commodity prices – I have had some feedback on this already, that not enough cash can be made on commodities quickly enough – so I may multiply all prices by 5, and increase staring cash to 5000 Cr to make trading more worthwhile – not entirely sure about it though.

I can probably have this ready for next week. If you could get FLHook sorted, and send me back the relevant files, I can then have a look and work out what is going on with it.

Meantime, I will add the extra bits I want to add (asteroid fields, pirate stuff etc), then publish the new version when it’s ready. (End of this month / early December – perhaps optimistic, but probably do-able)

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Admittedly the PTC team will have tech people with more experience in modifying flhook’s data than I have (My experience has been mostly sorting out developer foul-ups in the plaintext ini files and finding obscure bugs ingame nobody else seems to encounter), so the odds are I’d probably request their help along the way with anything I get stuck on.

Adjusting the restarts and funding for them is relatively simple – virtually every server host does that themselves anyway.  Commodity prices (in Discovery anyway) can also be adjusted server-side using flhook too – usually with “event.ini”.

Stormprooter
      Participant

I’ll get back to you on this next week (If I can remember to do so), if I forget, just reply here and I’ll get an email alert 😀

Stormprooter
      Participant

Pretty much got everything sorted pre-FL Hook – just got an outstanding issue with player levels for OpenSP/MP – player status is always reporting next level requirement as ‘Mission’ and it is impossible to rank up. I have posted a question on the RIP forum (where I got the TCM Starter Pack which my mod is based on) – just waiting for some reply on that.

Staring money increased to $5000, commodity prices all now x5, return of the Thargoids, also buffed Thargoid Warships as they were a bit too easy to destroy.

I want the levels to work properly so that I can add Adoxa’s ranks plug-in – this will allow me to report a player’s rank along with their ‘Elite’ ranking – i.e. Harmless, Mostly Harmless, Poor, Average, Above Average, Competent, Dangerous, Deadly and – = E L I T E = – . I will then be happy for it to go to multiplayer for ‘testing’, before I add the other stuff in.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Levels and Ranks are now sorted for both OpenSP and Multiplayer. I have disabled the widescreen hudshift by default (this was causing a few problems for a few users) – I will update the destructions document to show how to re-enable it for 16:9 screens (it’s just uncomenting one line in dacom.ini)

The current version is ready to be server-ized, so if PTC are interested to test it out, I am happy to let you guys have it as it is – just let me know and I’ll upload to my dropbox account and send you the link.

It runs as multiplayer OK as far as I can tell, but I have only used the FLServer.exe program as is, without using FLHook or anything else server-side.

Cheers

Stormprooter
      Participant

New version has been uploaded to MODDB and should be available for download in the next 24 hours. Just has to be approved by MODDB admins.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless

Stormprooter
      Participant
      PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Excellent video Stormprooter 😎 😎

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Great to see our favourite naughty bugs make an appearance! :girlcrazy:

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Looking good.

Due to my connection setup, I’ll see about downloading from ModDB a week on Wednesday (when I top up the web allowance) and have a good poke through it  

I know that flstat – a program which reads the game files and shows a spreadsheet with all the item locations and best selling points – works with the older version, so I’m sure it’ll work with the update.  I’ll check that Freelancer Server Process Manager and Server Account Managers (2 server admin tools) work with the new version once I’ve got it.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Been looking at FLHook and plugin development and it is now starting to dawn on me that any hopes I had of having a ‘life’ are now shattered. FLHook is a pretty nifty bit of software, developing some of my own plugins will allow me to put some more features of the original ‘Elite’ game into my mod (at least for multiplayer), things like displaying the “Right On, Commander!” message every 25 kills, awarding bounties for killing NPC pirates and Thargoids, perhaps even scripting some ‘Special missions’ – Constrictor Hunt and the Cloaking Device ASP attack for starters

Besides getting all excited about that, I still have much to do with this mod to make it a more immersive and coherent experience – re-doing all the voice stuff is one massive task in front of me (looking for a decent text-to-speech engine/api for this), re-modelling all the stations (may have to get some help on this as I have failed three times already to get anywhere with it) so I can get them to rotate and still work with the docking procedure is another, then there is all the extra content I want to add. One feature I really want to get to is a mission type (like in one of the Oolite OXPs) which is a massive battle against the Thargoids, which will include other ‘freelance’ npcs, Galactic Navy npcs and Battleships.

With FLHook now in the mix it will also be possible to make the online game universe much more dynamic – I have so many ideas my head is going to explode! I just wish I had more time to work on this.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

One thing I will suggest is including a copy of an adjusted version of flserver to run with the mod, as most people wont be aware on how to correctly edit their actual flserver program to match up with the mod version via resource hacker and similar programs.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Good point. Will do.

EDIT: Job Done, update posted to MODDB, may not be available for a few hours until the admins authorise it.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

As of this moment it’s up and available for download.

I’m sure we can expect the odd Mostly Harmless server to appear within the next few days.

Stormprooter
      Participant

As of this moment it’s up and available for download.

I’m sure we can expect the odd Mostly Harmless server to appear within the next few days.

Cool, I will keep an eye out :crazypilot:

Stormprooter
      Participant

Some police-themed screenshots – these are the sorts of scenes I used to spend hours drawing on paper when I was a teenager. One of things I loved about ELITE were the simple straight-edged ship designs, so even I could draw them so long as I kept the ruler steady 😀

gallery_3353_49_92490.jpg

gallery_3353_49_214959.jpg

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Just as a heads-up, your latest upload to moddb is downloading fine, but FLMM is coming up with a “Archive may be corrupted” message – a manual look through it using Winrar seems to show a lot of missing files too – including flserver.  (3 different downloads, all identical results).

Thankfully I’ve got my own copy of flserver modified to work correctly, but I don’t think it’ll show up online due to my connection being 3G based.

I did get some screenshots myself of a mission where I had to go & wipe out some pesky Thargoids.  I’ll just share the one here, but the other 2 are on the Frontier forums.

30cbjNC.jpg

I know – the sharp-eyed among you will have noticed the human names by the thargoids.  This may be tricky to remove for just the Thargoids alone – especially in regards to mission-spawned NPCs.  As a result they also have human comm chatter too.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Cheers for the heads-up Gun – re-uploading now. The archive on my local drive is fine – must have corrupted on upload (not the first time that’s happened).

And yes, at this stage the Thargoids have ‘human’ names, and speak english perfectly, this is what we game developers call ‘white boxing’ 😀 This is where you use place-holder assets for a game so you can make it work, while the real assets are still being developed.

In the case of the Thargoids, I need to create some insect-like animations for when they communicate/taunt you, also I need to re-create all the voice stuff in the game (which is no small task), then I can do the Thargoid chatter as being like the Elite lore, where it is badly translated and makes no sense, like “Eat goats like sensual poet”. Until I can get the voice stuff done, no real point in doing much else.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

I know that in Discovery (and possibly vanilla Freelancer too – it’s been a while since I played it without mods) they just have blank names for the Nomads, but the latest Discovery mod has its own (sizable) custom name database.  I’m not too sure how you coded in the thargoids in this, but perhaps looking at the NPC setup for the Nomads in normal Freelancer could get you an idea on how to minimize the human names & chatter for the Thargoids until you’ve got something else arranged for them.

Stormprooter
      Participant

The NPC names are all stored in string tables in the mod content dlls, I was lazy and generated them all from the top 100 male names, top 100 female names and top 100 surnames I got off some popular names website – from this I generate 20000 names. When creating the factions data for encounters, the list of possible names (one list for female, one list for male) is set as a range of addresses of these names, the game engine then picks one of the names in the range at random to assign to the specific NPC that has spawned.

So, in simple terms, I can create empty or blank names, or insecty-type names specifically for the Thargoids. I will study the vanilla code to see how nomads are set up to eliminate the comms and chatter.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Just added HD textures for everything except the stations and ships (as these were already high quality as provided by Gibbon), running on my development machine – and it is a marked improvement in eye candy 😀

gallery_3353_49_122341.jpg

Lave Station in Glorious HD

gallery_3353_49_21399.jpg

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Stunning pics Stormprooter 😎 I must try and get Freelancer running.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Agreed – very nice looking, but I’m stuck with 1024×768 for the forseeable future.

I’m not getting much chance to do much gaming at all due to a busy work life (11 hour shifts, 3 hours travel each way = very little time to do much apart from sleep…), but I’ll get stuck in on my days off and once the job finishes up.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Credit goes to RadiantGFX for the HD textures for planets & other objects, and to Hunon for the star backgrounds

This will still improve the graphics on 1024×768 resolution. The original textures were limited so they could run smoothly on a 16MB graphics card, even on low-end modern graphics cards these new textures will run fine. I believe they can be taken even further in resolution which would yield a very high level of definition for objects close up.

Anyway, links to the downloads below, I will be bundling these with the next release of the mod.

HD Textures by radiant
      HD Starspheres by Hunon

These will work with the vanilla game also.

The Starspheres pack also includes some Nav Map mods.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

I’ve been given a heads-up by a friend that the moddb download is still corrupt.  He’s tried to download 3 times today and it’s given an error message in FLMM every time.

This is just a suggestion, but why not upload here so that there’s an alternate location for people to get it in case one of the download locations is broken?

Stormprooter
      Participant

Just downloaded it from moddb and extracted it fine using WinRAR. Don’t know about using FLMM.

How do I upload it here?

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Go here – http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/files/ – and just below your username you’ll see a button saying “Upload file”.  Simply click that and follow the instructions.  It might take a day or two to get approved by the sscadmin, but it should be good as long as it doesn’t corrupt on upload.

Most people tend to “drag & drop” Freelancer mods into FLMM, so it might just be that FLMM itself is having trouble understanding the exact compression you’re using for some reason.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Could be, I used ‘normal’ compression in WinRAR to make a zip ???

Anyway, I’ve uploaded the zip only to the downloads section – all anyone will need to do with this is unzip it to their FLMM mods folder, then run FLMM and it should be there.

Ive tested it twice with FLMM 1.3 and it works for me. I think it may be an issue with the filename “MostlyHarmless0.2a.1.zip.flmod” having too many dots – but I’m not sure. I thought it may be a stray ampersand(&) in the script.xml – xml don’t like ampersands you have to put in &amp; – but that’s all fine.

gallery_3353_49_135078.jpg

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

OK, I’ll let him know.  Thanks for looking into it.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Always happy to help 🙂

These kinds of issues are good to know – it helps towards making the next release more stable.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Agreed – I’ve put a review up for Mostly Harmless here now that it’s been approved fro download (thanks Pinback).  It does reflect the (currently) early nature of the mod but should hopefully encourage a few downloads.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Cheers Gun, and you make a very good point about the witchspace systems & multiplayer – I will have to assign each of them some kind of ID (e.g. Witchspace #IS7F) or similar – they still need some element of anonymity (I think), but at least if they can do that and still have a unique name – it’s helpful. The ID will also help identify the location, in the example I have just given, IS refers to ‘Iron Stars’, and 7F, means from the top left of the universe map (1, 1). 7 systems across, F (hex for 15) systems down – so ending at location (8, 16).

I’ve been fiddling with 3DS Max trying to make some progress with retexturing a few things, but really getting nowhere with it at the moment, so I have decided to get back to what I do best – programming.

List of items to do as follows:

Changes

1. Remove names & comms chatter from Thargoids

2. Include HD textures with next release

3. Sort out the ‘bug’ (really something annoying me) Each witchspace system has a colour, the colour of the nebula from which you get to that wichspace system should be the same colour as the witchspace system – it isn’t at the moment, and my OCD is kicking off about it 😀

New Stuff

1. Asteroid/Debris/Mines/Explosive Gas Pockets/Radiation Zones Fields & Mineable areas – also make the existing nebulae & witchspace even more hazardous, but also more rewarding

2. Pirate/Unlawful bases (depends on 1 for hidden locations)

3. Pirate Patrol Paths, including tradelane attacks (depends on 2 as pirate patrols must start/end at a pirate base or jumphole)

4. Lootable Wrecks full of goodies

Up to this point, this will make the mod pretty much on a par with the original game as far as general content goes

Beyond this point is where things start to get really deep into modding the more tricky stuff

5. Navy Battleship Stations – there’ll be a few scattered around, here you will pick up large scale battle missions against the thargoids, and pirates – you will not ‘Be alone out there’, you will be part of a large fighter group, taking on a large group of enemies – this may take some time to do so.

There’s loads more to come as well, and that’s before I get into the mysteries of leveraging FLHook events in multiplayer. Though I will look to integrate the anti-cheat and admin features of FLHook l when I get to item 4 on the list.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

In an ideal world you’d have a larger team than just yourself working on this, but perhaps once word gets about you might get some people volunteering to help out.

Just about the only thing that I know has been implemented in other Freelancer mods and was also in the original Elite is a cloaking device (although I think in the original Elite you could fire while cloaked and you can’t in any of the Freelancer versions) – I’m sure that could be implemented through stashing it away as a lootable object somewhere in the galaxy – perhaps on a wreck deep in one of the witchspace regions.  The same could be done for any additional ship upgrades you want to implement but don’t want to be too well known.

Stormprooter
      Participant

In an ideal world you’d have a larger team than just yourself working on this, but perhaps once word gets about you might get some people volunteering to help out.

Just about the only thing that I know has been implemented in other Freelancer mods and was also in the original Elite is a cloaking device (although I think in the original Elite you could fire while cloaked and you can’t in any of the Freelancer versions) – I’m sure that could be implemented through stashing it away as a lootable object somewhere in the galaxy – perhaps on a wreck deep in one of the witchspace regions.  The same could be done for any additional ship upgrades you want to implement but don’t want to be too well known.

I definitely need help with modelling and texturing and so on, hopefully someone will offer to help out on that score, I’d really like to push the texturing detail up another level again.

As for ‘special’ equipment – yes, I do have some ideas for these, but not going to say much at this point as it may be a spoiler 🙂 Cloaking Device could be one, prototype research energy unit (power plant) could be another, who knows?

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Perhaps even have a flyable Thargoid ship tucked away (as in First Encounters) – Naturally such a thing should be limited to server admins and – logically speaking, should make all human forces & bases hostile to whoever is flying it.  (Easily done in multiplayer with flhook as you can set faction reputations based on equipment).  For single player it’s trickier to keep the reputations fixed.

Naturally to make things fair for anyone who got one there could be a little Thargoid installation tucked away somewhere they could repair at – perhaps a small staging post every few witchspace systems.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Interesting – one to add to the list…

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

What about a flyable Thargoid ship too for an OSP game? A reward perhaps just like in FFE. I do like the idea of mods flying Thargoid ships in the MP game though. That would be cool.

Stormprooter
      Participant

It could be possible for OSP – using scripting in FLMM, I can set up various starting scenarios – Standard, Pirate, Thargoid, whatever – you’d choose one of the options when applying the mod and that would set up the initial world and reputations. As for flying a Thargoid warship as a human – well that could be done, it would have to be very difficult to get though – probably by completing loads of missions for the Galactic Navy, and then only available to buy at a very high price from one of the Navy Battleship stations I want to set up. I will probably have to create a new faction specifically for this (not a problem) Galactic Navy Special Division or something like that.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

On a side note, I’d like to confirm that the upload here seems to be working perfectly and hasn’t produced an error message for me at all yet.

EDIT : I’d like to add that doing things the “normal” way in FLMM by dragging the archive to the window comes up with the error message “Access to C:Program FilesFreelancer Mod ManagermodsMostlyHarmlessDATARANDOMISSIONSdiff2money.ini was denied” – the file’s set to “Read only” for some reason and simply unchecking that under the file properties fixes that issue.

Stormprooter
      Participant

On a side note, I’d like to confirm that the upload here seems to be working perfectly and hasn’t produced an error message for me at all yet.

EDIT : I’d like to add that doing things the “normal” way in FLMM by dragging the archive to the window comes up with the error message “Access to C:Program FilesFreelancer Mod ManagermodsMostlyHarmlessDATARANDOMISSIONSdiff2money.ini was denied” – the file’s set to “Read only” for some reason and simply unchecking that under the file properties fixes that issue.

Nice one for spotting that Gun!

I have fixed for next release. The error came about because I accidentally deleted the development version of the file a while back, and copied an already ‘deployed’ version back (which had the read-only flag set).

I will probably do another upload today, which will include the HD textures – though will increase the download size considerably.

Also, in Vista/7/8, C:Program Files and C:Program Files (x86) are ‘special’ folders with very strict permissions on them, and getting the game to apply a mod can be tricky. IIRC I had to set folder & file permissions for my user account to “Full Control” on the Freelancer folder to get it to work.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

No worries at all.

Given the current lack of any servers at present I’m going to try hosting one myself and seeing if making it internet accessible will give people somewhere to test the multiplayer.  The only downside is that I’m on a 3G connection and I know quite often servers hosted on mobile internet don’t appear for anyone else, but it’s worth a try.

I’ll have it running for most of today & tomorrow, then from 8pm to 5am for the coming week (essentially it’ll be up whenever I’m at home so I can keep tabs on things)

Stormprooter
      Participant

3G – eek!

A good way to run it would be via Hamachi – but people would have to know the virtual network name you use for that.

https://secure.logmein.com/UK/products/hamachi/default.aspx

It’s a good way to run ‘LAN’ games over the internet – you can also password your virtual network – useful for other older games no longer supported with online servers.

If I could get away with it, I’d set a FL server up on our office server, but I don’t think the boss would be too happy about it 🙂

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

It could be worse – if I lived just a few metres to the west it would be a GPRS connection – I’m literally at the edge of the 3G reception area, lol.

Stormprooter
      Participant

The server is showing up fine, but it’s got a ping that’s off the scale – showing as ???? in the server list. Thought that may be down to a lack of an available echo service on your internet connection, but cannot connect anyway due to a timeout.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Ah well – It was worth a try anyway.  Good to know it was showing up though.

I’ll keep it up & running in the hope it raises a little interest in the mod.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Well, I’ve removed the Thargoid comms chatter, and replaced their rather human names with ‘Pilot’ & ‘Warrior’.

Also added location info to each of the witchspace system names (e.g. Witchspace #EF) to make each system have a unique name for multiplayer, and I’ve sorted out the nebula cloud colours so they now match up properly.

Will be making a new video and uploading a new version, which includes the HD textures tomorrow morning.

Then work on Asteroid fields & mineable bits will begin.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Sounds good.

I’ve had the server running over all of last night and almost all of today – so far nobody but myself has connected, but I reckon that’s due to the “unknown ping” caused by hosting over 3G.  I’ve taken it down for now but I’ll have it running again most of tomorrow as well – just in case.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Of the very heavy fighter options available to commanders, the Krait seems somewhat less popular than the iconic Cobra Mk III, it is true is has a smaller cargo bay (20t as opposed to the 35t of the Cobra Mk III), but there are some advantages to commanders who tend to get themselves into stickier situations more often than not.

The Krait offers the same shield capacity, power capacity and weapons options as the Cobra Mk III, it also has the same maximum top speed and thruster options.

The Krait is 700,000 Cr cheaper than the Cobra Mk III, the only real downside being the hull capacity is only 2750u as opposed to the 3000u of the Cobra Mk III.

The Krait is 15t lighter than the Cobra Mk III, and somewhat smaller in physical dimensions, this makes it nippier and more maneuverable in combat, and more difficult to hit.

For commanders who like combat missions, or get themselves into trouble too often, I recommend to you; The Krait. Available at your local ship dealer.

-= The Krait is Great =-

FdL – Falcon de Lacy Shipbuilders

http://youtu.be/7pb1H5bRb18

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Strangely enough – that’s what I’m using at present on my server, lol…

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Been trying out the High-Definition stuff and sometimes it’s not good to have an ancient low-spec system.  Textures look great, but you can guess what the framerate is like.

Still, it’s not an issue most people will have.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Been trying out the High-Definition stuff and sometimes it’s not good to have an ancient low-spec system.  Textures look great, but you can guess what the framerate is like.

Still, it’s not an issue most people will have.

Oh dear, perhaps I should bundle the HD stuff as an optional add-on.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Like I said, it’s not an issue most people would have – I just tend to systems so-old that visitors look for the coal hatch…

Stormprooter
      Participant

I’ve tried out removing the beam weapons and replacing them with laser bolts instead. I’ve also slowed their velocity to fit in with the game engine, down from 10000m/s to 1000m/s. I have to say it makes the combat game play more satisfying and enjoyable. I know it’s a departure from a pure ELITE weapon type, but I think gameplay is more important than strictly sticking to the ideal of the original game. The beam weapons simply are not suited to the freelancer game engine. If I could disable the auto-aim, then they could work. But auto-aim is part of the core game engine and cannot be disabled. I will upload a new video later this week demonstrating the changes.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Next phase of development is now well underway.

Main addition is that of asteroid fields, mine fields and hazardous gas pockets in nebulae.

Weapons have been altered as well, beam weapons are now gone as they simply do not work well in the FL game engine. More re-organisation of weapon classes is required, to allow both missiles and energy bomb launchers on the same ship.

I may do an incremental release once this point is reached – it will mean saved games will no longer work (because of the weapons re-organisation)

Next step is then add pirate bases hidden away in the asteroid and mine fields.

Once that is completed, I can then add pirate patrols and tradelane attacks.

All in all, it should add quite a lot of extra ‘dimension’ into the mod.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

It’s been a little while since your last update, although it does seem as if I’m the only person who’s currently playing this.

I’m guessing from your recent posts you’ve been busy with the E:D beta.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Work has been absolutely insane this past 9 months and I have been suffering from developer burn-out, so I have not done anything much with the mod since the last update. I have made a start on asteroid fields, and on the weapons changes – but nothing anywhere near ready for another release. I have also been playing a lot of Elite: Dangerous.

I do intend to get back to work on the mod during this Autumn, I have not forgotten about it, and there is still much I want to do with it. Unfortunately I cannot give you any kind of estimates at this time as I am still extremely busy, and will be until at least the middle of October – However, I am very determined to get more done on the mod as soon as I have enough dev energy to do so! 😀

There is one aspect that I could do with some help on, if anyone knows of someone with the skills and the desire – and that is I’d like to have some updated texturing done on the ships – I’d like to do this myself, but I haven’t the time to learn re-engineering the models in 3DS, and the models I have are already compiled into the freelancer format, decompiling them for 3DS and so on breaks many things and I’ve run out of patience trying to get things to work.

What I’d like is to push the texturing to the limit of the engine so I can have many variants of the same ship, but with different skins – and I really want snakeskin paint jobs for each of the ships.

For each ship I’d like a standard commercial paint job, snakeskin, pirate themed, police themed and military themed, prefereable two versions of each – one for HD, and one for standard (for those with lower spec machines)

So if you know anyone who’d be into it, or can perhaps point me to getting the models (it’s griff’s ship set from Oolite) in a more standard native format (like 3DS) – that’d be grand 😀

One thing I will definitely be looking at from the graphics point of view is producing two strands of the mod – one HD and one standard.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

I do recall one of the things you’d planned on implementing was patrol paths.  I’ve no idea on if it would work with such a large mod, but I believe “Freelancer Explorer” (a GUI-driven mod editor) has the ability to place patrol paths.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Hehehe, adding patrol paths manually to 170+ systems is not really going to be a viable option. I will be developing a number of algorithms to generate paths programatically, also to add police and miltary patrols further out as well – currently I only have a patrols running around stations. There will be tradelane attacks as part of pirate patrols as well. Another obstacle to overcome is getting pirate patrols to work properly in multiplayer – apparently there is a bug in the standard game which causes problems, but there is a fix.

Gotta get asteroid fields done first though, but I may need to rework the way I’ve done everything else first as creating the asteroid fields files is proving a bit tricky – but I will find a way.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

No worries.

If I ever get myself a decent connection setup (rather than the 3G dongle) then I’ll probably put a server up for running multi.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Just as an update, I now have “proper” broadband and will be attempting to host a server on a daily basis between noon and 11pm daily (UK time) until further notice.

Comments & suggestions from players should go to my forums.  Here’s hoping we see some activity.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Cool 😀

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Just a small update here.

Server should now be running most of the time.

Stormprooter
      Participant

OK, so after 10 months of crazy stuff happening with work and developer burn-out, I now have some time set aside to start back on Freelancer: Mostly Harmless. First order of business is the weapons overhaul, which I may have mentioned before. The ‘Beam’ weapoins systems do not really ‘fit’ properly into the Freelancer game engine, so these will be replaced with laser cannons – energy projectiles (like the vanilla game). I am also hoping to add a few more choices for weapons, including ballistic weapons (multi-cannons, auto cannons and big cannons) which will require ammunition, which in turn will take up cargo space. Also more powerful energy weapons (plasma accellerator) which will deal big damage, but will be slow moving and use large amounts of energy to fire, possibly will add a form of plasma weapon which can home in on slow moving targets – but I will need to test this thouroughly to make sure it’s not totally OP and not totally useless either. I also intend to introduce more variety on missiles; In addition to the current homing missiles, which are really torpedoes (will stay as they are – perhaps a few tweaks), I intend to add a smaller class of ‘dumbfire’ missiles, large magazine size, rapid fire, short-ish range and low-ish damage, intended to be more effective against hull than shields. Also expect ship hardpoints to be increased, for example, the Cobra Mk III will now get 4 gun/missile hard points (in addition to the missile launcher and energy bomb torpedo launcher), I want loads more pew-pew! I am getting rid of the quirium cascade mine (it’s just too OP) and replacing this with a selection of smaller mines more suitable to the game engine.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Nice one Stormprooter :good: look forward to seeing what the results are.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Nice update there Stormprooter, very nice indeed! :girlcrazy:  I think you were right to lose the Q Mine. Yes its fun but as you said a bit OP. Perhaps nukes instead for big damage torps like there was in Elite II and III?

Stormprooter
      Participant

Nice update there Stormprooter, very nice indeed! :girlcrazy:  I think you were right to lose the Q Mine. Yes its fun but as you said a bit OP. Perhaps nukes instead for big damage torps like there was in Elite II and III?

Currently I have the ‘Energy Bomb’ which is implemented as a large lumbering dumbfire torpedo – I may change this to a homing torpedo – still slow and lumbering, but will not need to get so close to it’s target before exploding. The main issue with the energy bomb at the moment is the stupidly large damage radius it has, if you fire it and it explodes while you are in 1km of the explosion, it’ll take you out as well as your target :roulette: , just like a nuke 😀 Much tweaking will be needed to get the balances right….

Stormprooter
      Participant

Early development update video – weapons overhaul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeihVCXo_0s

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Awesome stuff Stormprooter. 😎 😎

Stormprooter
      Participant

The all new Energy Bomb – just a short video showing WIP test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aot2NOb8clg

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

A high velocity projectile with lots of splash/EMP damage. I don’t think there was another way you could have done this Stormprooter, good work! :girlcrazy:

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Definitely looks like an improvement.  I look forward to updating the server.

Stormprooter
      Participant

I’m currently trying to engineer the impossible – that is trying to find a workaround which removes the auto-aim for guns.

The NPCs don’t have auto-aim, and removing auto-aim would potentially make any PvP action much more engaging.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Well, I did find a way to remove auto-aim, but it meant implementing guns as dumbfire missiles – good, but when hit the fire button (rmb) they only fire once and do not repeat (bad), you can get them to repeat by using the fire missile button (Q), but they fire once, delay for half a second, then repeat fire – clunky and basically not fit for purpose.

So, the other approach was to make the guns randomly inaccurate – this can be done by setting a dispersal angle against the gun’s projectile – this is the only path left open to me.

Here is a short video showing WIP multicannons which use this dispersal angle – which I will need to tweak more to get balances right. Also, I’ve fixed the lighting in the docking bay so you can actually see your ship, rather than the dark murky place it used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEVTWClzYK8

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Love the multicannons! :girlcrazy:

Stormprooter
      Participant

New intro/menu screen – just gives the mod more of it’s own identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4LGiXk5xzo

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Spotted this earlier when you posted it on Facebook.  Looks good, but I kinda feel it would be more “true” to the older Elite if it didn’t have all the ships down the bottom.

Now if only people could work out a way to prevent the basic Freelancer ships from appearing to fly past while docked on planets…  (not too likely since no mod I know of sorts that out)

Stormprooter
      Participant

Spotted this earlier when you posted it on Facebook.  Looks good, but I kinda feel it would be more “true” to the older Elite if it didn’t have all the ships down the bottom.

Now if only people could work out a way to prevent the basic Freelancer ships from appearing to fly past while docked on planets…  (not too likely since no mod I know of sorts that out)

I will have a go at moving the ships off screen.

Also, expect to see the Elite ships on the planet side animations. That’s my next job.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Nice work once again Stormprooter! Fires up all the old memories of the original games. :girlcrazy:

There will be a good chance though that (shock, horror :girlimpossible: ) some people might not know the names of all the ships being displayed there. Perhaps adding a little text underneath each ship on that screen as it comes into focus could help these people tell them apart more easily in the game. Otherwise, a damn fine intro, even love the Kusari music. One of the best tracks in the vanilla game in my view. Perfect for exploring systems and gas clouds.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Nice work once again Stormprooter! Fires up all the old memories of the original games. :girlcrazy:

There will be a good chance though that (shock, horror :girlimpossible: ) some people might not know the names of all the ships being displayed there. Perhaps adding a little text underneath each ship on that screen as it comes into focus could help these people tell them apart more easily in the game. Otherwise, a damn fine intro, even love the Kusari music. One of the best tracks in the vanilla game in my view. Perfect for exploring systems and gas clouds.

This is something I’d like to do. I spent about 10 hours early last week trying to find information on how to add captions or subtitles to the animations – no joy :(. Unfortunately the animation (& mission) scripting is a bit of a mystery, very little in the way of documentation and folks who know how to do it. I had to spend many hours studying the existing scripts, and getting it wrong most of the time (which ends up with just a black screen and no error message). But I will continue to look, as I know there is a mod out there that has added text to the intro screen – I just cannot remember which one it is. All I do remember is the intro screen being extremely busy and had the back ground music of “Into the Danger Zone” – from the film “Top Gun”. It may be the 88 Flak mod, but I cannot remember. I guess I’ll just have to methodically download every mod and try each one (that will take quite some time :D)

Now if I can find that mod again, I can study the intro script and hopefully discover how to do it.

Stormprooter
      Participant

I’ve not got an updated video, but tried out moving the ships off-screen when they are not the one in focus. It does look better.

My other alternative is to create a separate intro animation for each ship – apparently the game supports up to 24, and there are 21 distinct ships – so . . .

But my only issue with that is that I’d also like to do some other animations – like ships flying past a coriolis station – if I have 21 ship-only animations, we’d only see the others very rarely.

Swings and roundabouts…….

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

You could try dropping by Gibbon’s forum. If anyone knows how to go about adding txt it could be him. Even if not I’d bet he could point you in the right direction. Alternatively there is also The Starport or the SWAT Portal forums too. Lots of very knowledgeable people on these who have modded Freelancer in the past. Perhaps someone there could offer advice too? In anycase really great progress Stormprooter. :girlsmile:

Stormprooter
      Participant

You could try dropping by Gibbon’s forum. If anyone knows how to go about adding txt it could be him. Even if not I’d bet he could point you in the right direction. Alternatively there is also The Starport or the SWAT Portal forums too. Lots of very knowledgeable people on these who have modded Freelancer in the past. Perhaps someone there could offer advice too? In anycase really great progress Stormprooter. :girlsmile:

Gibbon doesn’t know – just checked his forum.

As for the starport and swat portal – no disco.

Been searching all of them, and google for a while now.

I’ve manually been reading through almost every thread on the starport modding forum 🙁

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Regardless, you’ve done a lot of very impressive work with it.

On a side-note, I did find a server account management program that works with the mod (although it is designed for Discovery & flhook, it’s possible to make changes server-side on the fly) and set up an admin character in a Thargoid warship.  Looks rather good if I do say so myself.  I did notice it had zero cargo space though – not that it matters for an alien / admin ship.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Well good luck with your search. But if you cannot find out how to do it maybe you could add a texture to the ship model that says what it is. Could that work?

Stormprooter
      Participant

Regardless, you’ve done a lot of very impressive work with it.

On a side-note, I did find a server account management program that works with the mod (although it is designed for Discovery & flhook, it’s possible to make changes server-side on the fly) and set up an admin character in a Thargoid warship.  Looks rather good if I do say so myself.  I did notice it had zero cargo space though – not that it matters for an alien / admin ship.

FLHook and multiplayer side of things is not something I’ve looked at as yet – been concentrating on getting all the main content into the game.

But now you mention it, I will have to build you an ‘admin’ ship – yes it can be a Thargoid warship, with “infinite” shields, and one-shot-kill weapons so you can enforce things on the server.

One of the things I have had in the back of my mind for using FLHook was enabling NPC Thargoid warships to spawn the little Tharglets – that would only work in multiplayer though and is something I will consider once I am happy that the open singleplayer is as complete as I can get it.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Well good luck with your search. But if you cannot find out how to do it maybe you could add a texture to the ship model that says what it is. Could that work?

If only I had the modelling and texturing skills…. I am a programmer, and I can do pretty much everything else except modelling & texturing – I could learn, but it’s having the time to do it….

Another option is to create simple new models (just boxes) with the text as a texture and display these. But there is one more option, I’ve seen it on “The Void” mod, and that’s like a billboard in space, which displays welcome text for the mod when you first launch from Manhattan in that mod. I’ll have a look at how that was done, and maybe it will do the job.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant
      I already set up the admin ship using “DSAccountManager”.  Freelancer has an infinite power shield generator hidden away in it (likely used for testing & server admins only as it’s only accessable via editing the save file or other mods).  Add on the “NPC Only Infinite Power Supply” and some decent turrets (in this case the Thargoid ones do the job) and there you have an instant admin ship.

Until flhook gets implemented, I can work with the account manager to handle the server admin stuff.  Sadly the partner program to the account manager “DS Process Manager” relies heavily on flhook for various automated tasks such as daily server restarts & server load checks.

For getting the warships to spawn the “tharglets”, I’m not too sure how that would be done – but I do know that the Discovery Mod implemented (via flhook) docking modules for players.  However, those do have their own share of issues – including the player being docked with must be perfectly motionless and upon launching from another player’s ship, the ship seems to enter a “no clipping” mode – but can affect other ships by flying through them.  (I believe the way Discovery implemented this was by putting a “proxy” base in every system 200k below the centre of the system and when a player docks onto a docking module, they get placed there until they launch.  Once they launch, flhook gets the current location of the ship with the docking module they docked with and spawns the player beside it.  If the ship with the docking module is docked in a base, the launched player will appear outside the base, but if the ship with the module was destroyed, the launched player will appear 200k below the system they originally docked in.)

Stormprooter
      Participant

I already set up the admin ship using “DSAccountManager”.  Freelancer has an infinite power shield generator hidden away in it (likely used for testing & server admins only as it’s only accessable via editing the save file or other mods).  Add on the “NPC Only Infinite Power Supply” and some decent turrets (in this case the Thargoid ones do the job) and there you have an instant admin ship.

Until flhook gets implemented, I can work with the account manager to handle the server admin stuff.  Sadly the partner program to the account manager “DS Process Manager” relies heavily on flhook for various automated tasks such as daily server restarts & server load checks.

For getting the warships to spawn the “tharglets”, I’m not too sure how that would be done – but I do know that the Discovery Mod implemented (via flhook) docking modules for players.  However, those do have their own share of issues – including the player being docked with must be perfectly motionless and upon launching from another player’s ship, the ship seems to enter a “no clipping” mode – but can affect other ships by flying through them.  (I believe the way Discovery implemented this was by putting a “proxy” base in every system 200k below the centre of the system and when a player docks onto a docking module, they get placed there until they launch.  Once they launch, flhook gets the current location of the ship with the docking module they docked with and spawns the player beside it.  If the ship with the docking module is docked in a base, the launched player will appear outside the base, but if the ship with the module was destroyed, the launched player will appear 200k below the system they originally docked in.)

Yeah, from what I’ve seen of FLHook it is a tricky thing. I do think spawning NPCs will be a lot less problematic than player ships – the game engine already does it when doing missions, so it’s not a case of trying to find a workaround for a feature not already natively present.

Now, making the tharglets go “dead” when their parent mothership is destroyed will probably be extremely difficult, if not impossible. (how to tell the game engine one NPC ship ‘belongs’ to another NPC ship is just not there, and telling the ‘child’ ship to do something when the parent gets destroyed is not something I can see a way to do, so once a tharglet is spawned, there is no way to link it to the mothership it came from) But I can live with that 😀

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

I’m guessing this probably won’t work at all, but perhaps you could get them to become neutral if the “group leader” becomes neutralized.  It may be simpler setting up a kind of “self-destruct” on the tharglets if there’s no warships within a fixed range – prompting a scripted drop of Alien items.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

I don’t think there is anything wrong with self-sufficient Tharglets, your building your on take on Elite after all Stormprooter so a couple of changes from the original games is totally fine in my view for your mod. In fact it gives it a flavour all of its own!

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

In this I’m inclined to agree with Geraldine regarding the tharglets.  You do have to work within the limitations of the Freelancer game engine after all.

I do have a random thought though – which may be a way around your rotating stations issue.  In Freelancer it’s possible to enable the planets to rotate.  Perhaps you could get the corolis stations assigned as planets and essentially have an invisible docking ring in front of the bays.  The main downside to this is how Freelancer treats planets and ships “under” the surface (insanely high radiation to cause near-instant death)

Stormprooter
      Participant

In this I’m inclined to agree with Geraldine regarding the tharglets.  You do have to work within the limitations of the Freelancer game engine after all.

I do have a random thought though – which may be a way around your rotating stations issue.  In Freelancer it’s possible to enable the planets to rotate.  Perhaps you could get the corolis stations assigned as planets and essentially have an invisible docking ring in front of the bays.  The main downside to this is how Freelancer treats planets and ships “under” the surface (insanely high radiation to cause near-instant death)

Yeah, the tharglets thing is a “nice to have”.

That’s a good idea about the stations though – but I doubt it will work, unless I can find a way to skip the docking sequence animation. I think Nightstalkers mod does it with shipyards where large ships can dock – so I’ll have a look at that for some clues. It may work out 😀

Stormprooter
      Participant

I don’t think there is anything wrong with self-sufficient Tharglets, your building your on take on Elite after all Stormprooter so a couple of changes from the original games is totally fine in my view for your mod. In fact it gives it a flavour all of its own!

It’s just my OCD kicking in. Tharglets spawning from thargoid ships is one of the signature features of the original game, so I would be inclined to at least explore the possibility of replicating that feature. If it turns out to be impossible, or just too time consuming to get done, then I’ll still be happy with what we have already.

On the issue with ship names in the intro animations – the way this is done in most mods is to have a basic ‘sign’ model, and then textures for the text. I have ‘obtained’ some sign models and applied my own textures and tested, and it’s not overly time consuming to get them done – so this is now on the todo list 😀

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Yaaay! :girlcrazy:  The intro will look fab! Well done Stormprooter! :queen:

Stormprooter
      Participant

And the updated intro…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBLCGHU6KFA

Stormprooter
      Participant

And the weapons overhaul preview – with soundtrack by AC/DC 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap1zl1L718A

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

More Lasers!!! :girlcrazy:  Nice one Stormprooter. Music was a perfect choice, perhaps when your testing the missiles may I suggest you use “Heatseeker” ? Would be awesome if it were possible to easily add custom music to the game. :party:

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

It is possible to add custom music to the game – all you essentially need to do is encode the music to the same format and give them the relevant names.  In fact there’s a couple of mods out there that do just that – the hidamri sound mod (tweaks the sound effects & so on) and the Metroid Prime music mod (replaces the ingame music)

Stormprooter
      Participant

It is possible to add custom music to the game – all you essentially need to do is encode the music to the same format and give them the relevant names.  In fact there’s a couple of mods out there that do just that – the hidamri sound mod (tweaks the sound effects & so on) and the Metroid Prime music mod (replaces the ingame music)

Yep, it’s do-able, but time-consuming. It would be very low on the list of things to do for me. The in-game music already in Freelancer is actually very good, and it’s not quite as straightforward to think about adding custom music – within the game, each musical piece has a context and purpose – the three main categroies are ambient, danger and battle, there are a few others for specific encounters as well. In my mod, I have replicated usage of these themes, but mixed them up a bit, but when in battle you will get batlle music, and the same goes for the other categories. This means the music you get at any point during play fits your current situation.

That’s not to say I will not add other music – but it will need to fit and make sense within the context of where and when it’s heard in game. And that means it needs to be carefully thought out, planned and tested – all of which takes time.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Not to worry, I was mostly answering Geraldine’s comment about custom music.

I’m currently using the Metroid Prime music mod with Mostly Harmless anyway.  Whoever put it together certainly picked the music well for the situations they come up in.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Other mods that change music, fonts, the HUD and other generic things should generally be compatible with my mod (but I cannot guarantee it :D). The ones that won’t work are those that change ships, weapons, equipment, systems and things like that.

Stormprooter
      Participant

ECM & Torpedo effects update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sfLOR0vR3g

And my original battle video which youtube didn’t like because of the music  (Freebird – Lynyrd Skynyrd) …. skip to 2:45 for all the action

http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless/videos/flmhwepspreviewfreebird

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

I really like the new ECM looks

Stormprooter
      Participant

I really like the new ECM looks

Good, I spent 4 hours trying out various available effects, and finally picked that one 😀

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

You picked well there Stormprooter, its a nice effect! Also good to see the Police are as crazy mad as ever. Now that is a hallmark of Elite! :girlcrazy:

Stormprooter
      Participant

You picked well there Stormprooter, its a nice effect! Also good to see the Police are as crazy mad as ever. Now that is a hallmark of Elite! :girlcrazy:

Yeah, they seem to like their new weapons, and I’ve got them on ‘easy’ mode at the moment 😀

To be fair, the whole weapons damage and shield/hull strength balancing is still yet to be done – I’m currently writing some code that will analyse all the stats and help me find a decent balance across the board. The mod has gone from 8 different weapons to about 35 including variants.

Stormprooter
      Participant

I present the Ingram ST99He4 “Furnace” Plasma Accelerator 😀 One of the new weapons for my mod.

Apologies in advance to anyone in Germany, youtube has gone and blocked access because of the music I added to the video – sorry, it tends to be a lottery when doing this. Alternate video here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless/videos/ingram-st99he4-furnace-plasma-accelerator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-UlPsnhp-c

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Hot stuff! :girlcrazy:

Stormprooter
      Participant

Dotting the ‘i’s and crossing the ‘t’s.

I have found a way to make the bounty system from the original Elite game work in Freelancer: Mostly Harmless. When you destroy any outlaw ship (including Thargoids) they will drop an Outlaw Ship Ident Chip which you can tractor in and sell at any commodity trader. The Ident chips take up no cargo space, so you can collect as many as you like.

There is one more (just one more, honest!) feature I want to add before doing a release. This being when you destroy another ship, there is a chance you will get to tractor in some of their weapons. This mechanic will allow players who are bold enough to get hold of Thargoid weapons – The Thargoid Laser, Thargoid Turret and Thargoid ECM System. Thargoid weapons deliver x1.5 damage compared to their military laser equivalents, but at almost zero power usage (so kind of the equivalent of Nomad weapons in vanilla Freelancer). The Thargoid ECM System gives 99% reliability in outfoxing homing missiles and torpedoes, and makes a rather ‘spooky’ effect when used.

Stormprooter
      Participant

This video shows some of the new features.

New Engine Effects – Different classes of ship have their own engine effects

New ship explosion effects – Different classes of ship have their own explosions

Lance & Ferman LF8742PbW “Nailer” Rail Gun

Tyley-Feynman RC071 “BFG” Cannon

Lance & Ferman LF0181 “Sniffer” Homing Missile

Pirate Ident Chips – redeemable at any commodity trader (see end of video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NK9HZqnXXM

Last video for a while – I promise! 😀

Hopefully will be doing the release tomorrow – it’s ready, I just need to package everything up and make sure the mod install works properly.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

This video shows some of the new features.

Last video for a while – I promise! 😀

Boooooo! :girlsad:

Hopefully will be doing the release tomorrow – it’s ready, I just need to package everything up and make sure the mod install works properly.

Yaaay! :girlcrazy:

Stormprooter
      Participant

Mod released

http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless/downloads/freelancer-mostly-harmless-03

And I couldn’t resist doing another video – soundtrack by the Bee-Gees 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pAIFq0AN6U

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Ahhh ahhh ahhh its out! :girlcrazy:

Stormprooter
      Participant

I’m going to be away from internet access until Monday morning, so I will not be able to help with any problems that may crop up until then.

Apart from any bug fixes required, I am going to take a short break as I have squeezed in about 120 hours work on this in my spare time during last 8 weeks.

But the next stage of development will commence in a few weeks time (probably start of September)

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

You totally deserve a good rest after all that work Stromprooter, well done, bloody well done! :girlcrazy:  Oh! And I let the Frontier & the CIG forums know, so hopefully downloads aplenty!

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

I’ll have the server updated later with the new version.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Bugs found, and fixed – patch/full version uploaded to moddb.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless/downloads

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Sorry about the delay in getting the server back up – for some reason each time I’ve downloaded from Moddb, FLMM has reported that it’s been corrupted.

Just about to download your latest update though.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Sorry about the delay in getting the server back up – for some reason each time I’ve downloaded from Moddb, FLMM has reported that it’s been corrupted.

Just about to download your latest update though.

Odd about the corruption. I use winrar to create a zip archive – normal compression. Then add the flmod extension (as per instrustions), and I’ve tested applying the mod via FLMM with no issues.

I seem to remember you had similar issues when I released 0.2.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

It may well have just been interference on the line from whatever mirro I was connected to – with 0.3a things are working nice & smoothly.

Stormprooter
      Participant

It may well have just been interference on the line from whatever mirro I was connected to – with 0.3a things are working nice & smoothly.

Cool. I hope you are enjoying the new weapons and overall effects 😀

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

To be honest I’ve been too busy to get ingame – but I certainly plan to during my time off work at the weekend.

Stormprooter
      Participant

Found another bug. The Thargoid Laser only had a range of 225m – which is wrong, it should be 3000m just like all the other lasers in the mod.

Also, was using an effect I did not intend for it to use.

Both issues resolved, and the bug fix is in the downloads section. You’ll have to apply this one manually – just unzip and copy into to your Freelancer installation folder.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless/downloads/thargoid-laser-bug-fix

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

Just a small update on the server folks (albeit quite some time too late) – there seems to be some kind of foul-up on my connection which is preventing any servers I host (others as well as flserver) from being visible online – despite the games that use those servers working fine.  My ISP claims that there’s no fault on the connection and can’t find any issues and most people I’ve spoken to haven’t a clue what the issue could be or how to fix it.

As such I haven’t a clue when it’ll get back up and visible to the public.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

This is damned annoying but I have a problem playing Stromprooter’s wonderful mod. The thing is I already have the Crossfire mod installed into vanilla Freelancer and made a good bit of progress with both the offline and online versions. Is there anyway to get both mods working? Without having to uninstall Crossfire?

What I am thinking about is, is there a way to install Freelancer again so that I can then use the Freelancer Mod Manager? Any advice would be helpful. :girlsmile:

Stormprooter
      Participant

I don’t think there is a clean way to do this with Crossfire because of the way it installs. Sorry.

You may be able to backup your save games from single player, put them somewher safe. Uninstall crossfire & Freelancer, do a clean install of Freelancer and apply my (or any other) mod.

When you want to go back to crossfire, you will need to uninstall any mod, uninstall freelancer, and reinstaller a clean freelancer + crossfire, then copy back your save games.

That’s the only way I can think of.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

What I did long ago was install the Freelancer demo as well as copying the full version of Freelancer – and then merely copy the files from the main install of Freelancer into the demo’s folder.  From there I simply installed the mods to the relevant directories.

The catch is that you’ll have to manually move about ALL the save files every single time you change between mods as both use the exact same save folder.  Even the restart.fl and autosave.fl files need to be cleared out or you’ll simply have a crash to desktop with no explanation after the splash screen.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Ok thanks for the advice guys. looks like I will be stating with a clean install. Install Mostly Harmless, back it up (the whole thing) Uninstall it, reinstall Crossfire, back that up, uninstall that. Reinstall Freelancer then just copy over whatever mod I am going to play. Hopefully that will work. Funny thing was the mod manager did try to install Mostly Harmless without activating it. I had hoped this would do but sadly no. No matter I will get it up and running come what may! :girlcrazy:

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

If any of you are still playing this, the server should (hopefully) be up & running again.  According to the Global Server Workaround page it should be visible, but I’ll be watching for anyone other than myself connecting to be sure.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
      Participant

My apologies to anyone who’s been wanting to connect to the server in recent months – between work and various real-life situations, I’ve not been able to keep the server running.

(and yes, I have finally only just got back onto SSC since the host change…)

auryx
        Participant

Welcome back! It took me ages, too 🙂

Viewing 160 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.