Home Forums Classic/Retro Space Games Freelancer Mostly Harmless

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 162 total)

Besides monthly games you also get access to over 60 free games in their library

• Author
    PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

I just not being able to get Freelancer to run, I have uninstalled and installed it a number of time as well as uninstalling  FLMM  with no effect.

My only guess is that their maybe some thing wrong with the disk.

A bunch of classics here on the cheap if you get them all in one bundle

GunbladeladGunbladelad
    Participant

If Freelancer itself isn’t working then it does sound like a bad install.

I’m sure that Amazon will likely still have copies of the game still going relatively cheaply if you want to try a different disc.  I’m sure there are dubious websites & hosts out there with downloadable copies, but I wouldn’t trust them a bit.

Participant

Silly question, but are DirectX8 + 9 installed correctly on the machine?

You can try installing directX off the installation folder that is on the Freelancer disk –  you may find you have one of the dlls missing….

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Never thought about about the DX as the other games are still working.

Will have a look.

Participant

Well, finally I can get back to some 3D modelling this weekend, after several false starts due to work and family stuff.

Gotta get those rotating stations done!

GunbladeladGunbladelad
    Participant

I have to admit that I’ve been having fun with this during the time the Discovery UK server’s been down, but I do have to say it’s extremely tricky to make any kind of funds early on – the fastest method being completing missions, which is in itself no easy task as you’ll spend most of your time trying to inflict any hull damage on the enemies at all.

I’ve done a bit of poking around and it seems as if there’s not really much reason for players to upgrade to haulage ships at all in terms of the actual price lists.  Mind you, I probably have been spoiled with the Discovery Mod’s massively profitable traderoutes…

Participant

I have to admit that I’ve been having fun with this during the time the Discovery UK server’s been down, but I do have to say it’s extremely tricky to make any kind of funds early on – the fastest method being completing missions, which is in itself no easy task as you’ll spend most of your time trying to inflict any hull damage on the enemies at all.

I’ve done a bit of poking around and it seems as if there’s not really much reason for players to upgrade to haulage ships at all in terms of the actual price lists.  Mind you, I probably have been spoiled with the Discovery Mod’s massively profitable traderoutes…

Cargo capacities and commodity prices are all inherited from the original Elite – which perhaps does not work so well in Freelancer – this aspect as well as general game balancing will be looked at for the next version. I remember from the original Elite that it was not easy to make big money fast.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
    Participant

The balancing can wait for now as it’ll be likely a substantial amount of time before people make enough funds to be able to afford the larger haulage ships.  I did kind of “cheat” and used Freelancer Companion to bring up the price lists.

It does seem a bit odd to me that computers fetched a much higher profit than alien items though.  Such a pity it’s (almost certainly) not possible to encode bar NPCs to purchase things at boosted rates.  (like the BBS in Frontier and FFE)

Participant

The quickest way I’ve found to build up some cash is to trade between Quitiri (buy computers, sell furs) and Isinor (buy furs, sell computers) in the Zaonce system until you have upgraded the starting ship (Adder) with the best shields, best engine, power plant, scanner and get a beam laser, ecm and plenty of missiles and do the easiest missions possible. I have found that the destroy installation missions are the simplest, if you know the trick to them, which I will now share:

Get to about 3km from the things you need to destroy and stand off attack from there, creep towards them slowly until your laser is in range – you will be out of range of their defenses, if you have to destroy any ships in the area as well, after destroying the installation/missile platforms, head towards the nav point for the enemy ships to appear, then take them out.

When you start completing missions, the money soon starts rolling in and you can get bigger and more powerful ships step-by-step. I did the following

Adder (light fighter)

Sidewinder (small fighter)

Viper Mk I (medium fighter)

then straight to a Cobra Mk III (very heavy fighter)

Making sure I had enough cash to upgrade shields, engine and power plant when getting a new ship.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
    Participant

Don’t worry – I’ve already upgraded to the Cobra – I’ve had plenty of time during the Discovery UK server downtime – it was actually the base kill missions that I used to raise funds quickest.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
    Participant

Out of interest, Stormprooter, how long do you think it will be before you’re able to implement multiplayer in this?

If you want an extra pair of hands to test things out I should be able to get things going on a LAN to see how it pans out.

Participant

I have no idea on timescales for multiplayer – it’s not an aspect of FL development I have looked at in any way as yet. I have not had time to do any more work on this since I released it back in June – so I really don’t know.

I think I have to get familiar with server stuff like FLHook and other bits to do with anti-cheat – will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I hope to get back onto development in the next few weeks.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
    Participant

No problem – While I’ve not done much in the way of flhook coding, I have experimented with the plugins that are present in the Discovery 4.86 mod and it seems straightforward enough.  Just give me a nudge if you’re needing help and I’ll see if I can work it out.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
    Participant

Any news on this at all?

I know on your facebook page you mentioned that work is in progress on Multiplayer, which was on my wish list for it.

Participant

No problem – While I’ve not done much in the way of flhook coding, I have experimented with the plugins that are present in the Discovery 4.86 mod and it seems straightforward enough.  Just give me a nudge if you’re needing help and I’ll see if I can work it out.

Still in the planning/research stages at the moment. I have managed to get FLServer running with the mod on my development machine, but I am struggling to find time to add in FLHook (something I will have to learn). There are also a few additions to the mod I want to add. These are asteroid fields & pirate bases (pirate bases should be hidden), adding these will then allow me to add pirate patrol paths & trade lane attacks. There are other bits and pieces I need to sort out to make multiplayer work completely properly – config files for starting a multiplayer game and the like. I have made some progress though, I have managed to get the Thargoid Warships to start appearing again (I lost them when fiddling with difficulty settings and state graphs and nasty things like that, that don’t make much sense to me) Also fixed a bug where it was impossible to buy turrets for the Python.

With the recent releases of BF4 and CoD Ghosts, I am somewhat distracted at the moment 😀

I will probably spend a few more hours on this over the weekend, but I do intend to get this completed – then I have to find a place to host it…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.