Home Forums Classic/Retro Space Games Freelancer Mostly Harmless

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 162 total)

Besides monthly games you also get access to over 60 free games in their library

• Author
    GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

I don’t think there is anything wrong with self-sufficient Tharglets, your building your on take on Elite after all Stormprooter so a couple of changes from the original games is totally fine in my view for your mod. In fact it gives it a flavour all of its own!

A bunch of classics here on the cheap if you get them all in one bundle

GunbladeladGunbladelad
    Participant

In this I’m inclined to agree with Geraldine regarding the tharglets.  You do have to work within the limitations of the Freelancer game engine after all.

I do have a random thought though – which may be a way around your rotating stations issue.  In Freelancer it’s possible to enable the planets to rotate.  Perhaps you could get the corolis stations assigned as planets and essentially have an invisible docking ring in front of the bays.  The main downside to this is how Freelancer treats planets and ships “under” the surface (insanely high radiation to cause near-instant death)

Participant

In this I’m inclined to agree with Geraldine regarding the tharglets.  You do have to work within the limitations of the Freelancer game engine after all.

I do have a random thought though – which may be a way around your rotating stations issue.  In Freelancer it’s possible to enable the planets to rotate.  Perhaps you could get the corolis stations assigned as planets and essentially have an invisible docking ring in front of the bays.  The main downside to this is how Freelancer treats planets and ships “under” the surface (insanely high radiation to cause near-instant death)

Yeah, the tharglets thing is a “nice to have”.

That’s a good idea about the stations though – but I doubt it will work, unless I can find a way to skip the docking sequence animation. I think Nightstalkers mod does it with shipyards where large ships can dock – so I’ll have a look at that for some clues. It may work out 😀

Participant

I don’t think there is anything wrong with self-sufficient Tharglets, your building your on take on Elite after all Stormprooter so a couple of changes from the original games is totally fine in my view for your mod. In fact it gives it a flavour all of its own!

It’s just my OCD kicking in. Tharglets spawning from thargoid ships is one of the signature features of the original game, so I would be inclined to at least explore the possibility of replicating that feature. If it turns out to be impossible, or just too time consuming to get done, then I’ll still be happy with what we have already.

On the issue with ship names in the intro animations – the way this is done in most mods is to have a basic ‘sign’ model, and then textures for the text. I have ‘obtained’ some sign models and applied my own textures and tested, and it’s not overly time consuming to get them done – so this is now on the todo list 😀

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Yaaay! :girlcrazy:  The intro will look fab! Well done Stormprooter! :queen:

Participant

And the updated intro…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBLCGHU6KFA

Participant

And the weapons overhaul preview – with soundtrack by AC/DC 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap1zl1L718A

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

More Lasers!!! :girlcrazy:  Nice one Stormprooter. Music was a perfect choice, perhaps when your testing the missiles may I suggest you use “Heatseeker” ? Would be awesome if it were possible to easily add custom music to the game. :party:

GunbladeladGunbladelad
    Participant

It is possible to add custom music to the game – all you essentially need to do is encode the music to the same format and give them the relevant names.  In fact there’s a couple of mods out there that do just that – the hidamri sound mod (tweaks the sound effects & so on) and the Metroid Prime music mod (replaces the ingame music)

Participant

It is possible to add custom music to the game – all you essentially need to do is encode the music to the same format and give them the relevant names.  In fact there’s a couple of mods out there that do just that – the hidamri sound mod (tweaks the sound effects & so on) and the Metroid Prime music mod (replaces the ingame music)

Yep, it’s do-able, but time-consuming. It would be very low on the list of things to do for me. The in-game music already in Freelancer is actually very good, and it’s not quite as straightforward to think about adding custom music – within the game, each musical piece has a context and purpose – the three main categroies are ambient, danger and battle, there are a few others for specific encounters as well. In my mod, I have replicated usage of these themes, but mixed them up a bit, but when in battle you will get batlle music, and the same goes for the other categories. This means the music you get at any point during play fits your current situation.

That’s not to say I will not add other music – but it will need to fit and make sense within the context of where and when it’s heard in game. And that means it needs to be carefully thought out, planned and tested – all of which takes time.

GunbladeladGunbladelad
    Participant

Not to worry, I was mostly answering Geraldine’s comment about custom music.

I’m currently using the Metroid Prime music mod with Mostly Harmless anyway.  Whoever put it together certainly picked the music well for the situations they come up in.

Participant

Other mods that change music, fonts, the HUD and other generic things should generally be compatible with my mod (but I cannot guarantee it :D). The ones that won’t work are those that change ships, weapons, equipment, systems and things like that.

Participant

ECM & Torpedo effects update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sfLOR0vR3g

And my original battle video which youtube didn’t like because of the music  (Freebird – Lynyrd Skynyrd) …. skip to 2:45 for all the action

http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless/videos/flmhwepspreviewfreebird

GunbladeladGunbladelad
    Participant

I really like the new ECM looks

Participant

I really like the new ECM looks

Good, I spent 4 hours trying out various available effects, and finally picked that one 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.